internet explorer 7 fails to display webpages after windows update on vista

Question

• hi,

thanks for reading.

Last night, I let my laptop do the automatic windows updates and when I woke up in the morning, the IE7 could not display any pages. I checked many things offered in similar forums.

It is for sure I am connected to the internet - Outlook works fine; but other browsers (such as Firefox) do not neither.

I tried checking any viruses/spyware, turned off firewall, tried removing security updates that I installed last night. Neither worked- I returned to original position after each step.

Please help me, I spent all day on this.

thank you,

bekisli

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 11:58 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I'd like to suggest you reset Internet Explorer (IE) & register files
    ==========
    1.      Click Start, please type "inetcpl.cpl" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search bar and press Enter to open the Internet options window.
    2.      Switch to the Advanced tab.
    3.      Click the Reset Internet Explorer Settings button.
    4.      Click Reset to confirm the operation.
    5.      Click Close when the resetting process finished.
    6.      Uncheck Enable third-party browser extensions option in the Settings box.
    7.      Click Apply, click OK.

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Friday, February 15, 2008 9:55 AM

All replies

• Hi

This has happened to my laptop as well.

It is running Vista Business.

Nothing seems to correct the problem.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 7:23 PM
  • This problem seems to be fairly widespread. Same thing happened to both myself and my girlfriend. then when i did a system restore, i started getting blue screens of death. I went to the techies at my school, and they said there were several cases, with the exact same problem as that which had came in yesterday. Mine started as a slow decline though, first firefox updated and stopped working, then anything i installed that needed internet access (new browser, games etc.) wouldn't connect, and then windows updated, and that was the end there, and the start of the blue screens. Now no browesers would work. My solution? save everything I had externally, and re-install windows. Probably the worst possible solution, but it updated when i plugged in the internet and everything still works fine.
    Friday, February 15, 2008 5:52 AM
  • Hi,

I'd like to suggest you reset Internet Explorer (IE) & register files
    ==========
    1.      Click Start, please type "inetcpl.cpl" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search bar and press Enter to open the Internet options window.
    2.      Switch to the Advanced tab.
    3.      Click the Reset Internet Explorer Settings button.
    4.      Click Reset to confirm the operation.
    5.      Click Close when the resetting process finished.
    6.      Uncheck Enable third-party browser extensions option in the Settings box.
    7.      Click Apply, click OK.

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Friday, February 15, 2008 9:55 AM
  • Hi, had the exact problem as well. I checked everything and nothing worked, including two hours on the phone with technical support.  Eventually I deleted my recent updates and Internet Explorer started to work again. You can also restore your system to a past point. Psst! Do not allow automatic updates. Hope this helps.

Friday, February 15, 2008 10:01 PM
  • I'h having the same issue. I installed Firefox to see if it is IE-specific and found the same problem there. Has anyone verified that the solution involving turning off third party extensions is successful?

thanks
    Saturday, February 16, 2008 3:43 PM
  • I was having the exact same issue - also spent a couple hours on the phone with my internet provider tech.  The browser reset does not work; but a system restore prior to the latest Windows update did - same solution as mentioned by other user, but I am not pleased at the prospect of being left without the Windows updates.  Wondering if Windows will be addressing this?

Monday, February 18, 2008 2:32 PM
  • Hi Bekisli,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!
    --------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Monday, February 25, 2008 5:58 AM
  • Just ran windows update on two XP SP2 machines and IE7 would not start. Just flashes for a moment and goes away. Reset did not work. Downloading and reinstalling IE7 was the fix.

Saturday, March 15, 2008 12:16 AM
  • Same problem with my xp system happened, and I tried most of the things mentioned such as deleting the updates that came in on the 9th, but I also cannot open outlook express, and when I try to do the system restore, I get the same message that an error has occured and microsoft needs to shut down and do I want to send an error report.  I even have the same problems when I start xp in diagnostic mode. Thanks!

Thursday, April 10, 2008 2:16 PM
  • Hi,

well I got this problem after an update that was installed automatically eh, like around 8th of april. Your solution regarding reseting explorer setings did not work for me. The only thing that works is removing updates by system restore and turning of windows update as suggested before. I do NOT like this kind of "solution" and would very much like to have a real solution to this problem, please!

Regards,

Erik

Sunday, April 13, 2008 10:22 AM
  • Unfortunately what I see here is related to Vista.

I am using XP Pro with IE7 and I have the same problem. Having completed my Windows updates on the 14th April, IE7 opens but "cannot display web page". Using system restore I now have IE7 working again.

The question is, what update crippled my IE7? Or should I not do any further updates? Not a palatable alternative! 

Monday, April 14, 2008 1:03 AM
  • Hello,

I started having the identical problem a week ago.  The only way to get internet back seems to be the system restore method.

This is not a satisfactory solution!   There must be a better way.  Please help!!

Thursday, April 17, 2008 4:22 AM
  • This ssue is not dead.  After the updates on April 10th some pages load... others don't and it even screwed up firefox AND when downloading files they are getting clipped after a few megs and reporting as downloading fully.  I have to say i am VERY irrate and this is exactly why I am considering goiing to Linux permantently.  I don't know what you guys did but everything worked just fine before those updates.. and NOW I can barely even get to any of the websites I use regularly.  It is not my inet connection as I have tried connecting to several connections, and this issue has been observed by most of my friends and colleagues.  I am sorry to say it but you guys goofed BIG time.

Sunday, April 20, 2008 9:56 PM
  • Hi,

I have the same problem. IE is not working after an update and seems to be affecting the performance of Firefox. IE and Firefox are not working but I can use MSN or even have voice conversation on Skype!

I followed your instruction and have reset the IE as discribed but still not working. Please help, I need to be able to use my Internet browsers!

What should I do?.
    Thursday, May 15, 2008 8:15 PM
  • Hi, I have the same problem with Vista, IE stopped displaying webpages after automatically installing updates.  I would hope that Microsoft is working on correcting this problem since I will have to turn off the auto updates or else this will keep happening!!

Sunday, May 25, 2008 12:20 AM
  •  

Just had the same problem with XP and was surprised to find out it's gone on for so long, the only thing that works is a system restore before updates installed and turn off automatic updates. Not an ideal situation Microsoft!!!

This should have been sorted by now.

Sunday, July 13, 2008 11:59 PM
  • If anyone is still having a problem with IE7 displaying webpages the fix is as follows:

Workaround to Sudden Loss of Internet Access Problem

Date Published : 8 July 2008

Date Last Revised : 9 July 2008

Overview : Microsoft Update KB951748 is known to cause loss of internet access for ZoneAlarm users on Windows XP/2000. Windows Vista users are not affected.

Impact : Sudden loss of internet access

Platforms Affected : ZoneAlarm Free, ZoneAlarm Pro, ZoneAlarm AntiVirus, ZoneAlarm Anti-Spyware, and ZoneAlarm Security Suite

Recommended Actions -

Download and install the latest versions which solve the loss of internet access problem here (English only):

ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

ZoneAlarm Pro

ZoneAlarm Antivirus

ZoneAlarm Anti-Spyware

ZoneAlarm Basic Firewall

- or follow the directions below.

Option 1: Move Internet Zone slider to Medium

Navigate to the "ZoneAlarm Firewall" panel

Click on the "Firewall" tab

Move the "Internet Zone" slider to medium

Option 2: Uninstall the hotfix

Click the "Start Menu"

Click "Control Panel", or click "Settings" then "Control Panel"

Click on "Add or Remove Programs"

On the top of the add/remove programs dialog box, you should see a checkbox that says "show updates". Select this checkbox

Scroll down until you see "Security update for Windows (KB951748)"

Click "Remove" to uninstall the hotfix

Monday, July 14, 2008 11:15 PM
  • I do have ZoneAlarm and I am having issues with the Internet Explorer since undating windows. But I do not show KB951748, in my update history (I have vista). Also My settings for my firewall are on Medium. Does anyone know what I can do?
    Sunday, September 14, 2008 8:35 PM
  • Today, Vista offered 12 updates which I accepted.  Now IE 7 will not access any websites.  I did reset of IE as one of the authors had earlier suggested.  But that did not help either.  I am able to ping all the web sites.  One strange this is after I type a web site i.e. www.google.com The IE address field "eats" it up and displays as http:/// as invalid web address!!!  I will now resore the system and I will not be as anxious to accept all the suggested upgrades!!

Ace

Monday, October 27, 2008 1:11 AM
  • I have this problem currently on 2 XP SP3 desktops and on one Server 2003, on two different networks, both of which have other workstations working fine.

I have tried a system restore on one, and also deleting the latest IE7 security update, it also happens when I install firefox on these systems, but in all cases thay can "ping" the internet "ping www.google.co.uk" returns a valid reply.

Any ideas?

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 12:50 PM
  • Well it was another disaster after installing Vista updates, I will now have to spend hours trying to correct all the problems the updates have created.  I for one am going to turn off updates.  No more updates for me.   The resetting the Internet Explorer doesn't seem to work, but that is Microsoft"s only solution.   How about some real solutions to the problems the updates create.  My restore function doesn't allow me to go back far enough to correct the problem. The updates created a restore point, but not until the updates had done their damage.  Anyone know how to get further back updates?
    Wednesday, April 08, 2009 1:28 AM
  • Not an answer as such m3252 but here is my twopence worth.

I run Vista Home premium. I do not have any ZoneAlarm products, running Norton 360 instead. Since I installed it I have found Vista a bit flakey at times with freezing screens, etc, but generally ok and certainly no IE issues.  Then I receive 6 automatic updates on 16 April 2009 and lose my browser functionality. Programs that connect to the internet via my desktop still function (such as Napster) as does Outlook, but no IE. I did not bother with the restore suggestion as others have elected to nor the Microsoft reset option, and instead uninstalled all 6 updates which has resulted in a return of IE. You can do this through the control panel/programs/programs and features option. Select "View installed updates" from the left hand pane and then find your most recent offending updates and uninstall them. I am now about to reinstall the updates and try to isolate the offending one. I'll let you know if I have any further success.
    • Proposed as answer by jenksmj123456 Tuesday, April 21, 2009 4:21 PM
    Friday, April 17, 2009 11:20 AM
  • I've found this issue on a number of PC's on our network whereby IE7 no longer displays webpages and freezes before getting to the start/home page.
    The problem was related to the update for IE7 KB963027, I uninstalled this and IE 7 started working again.

Tuesday, April 21, 2009 4:26 PM
  • Same problem here.  I just uninstalled KB963027 and it seemed to be the culprit.  thanks for the research!
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 5:27 PM
  • I have found that it's this update that has been causing the same problem here as well, but I can't find KB963027 in the Installed updates list. I can see the update in when I go to Control panel -> Windows update -> updatelog but I can't find it in the installed updates list. The same goes for several other updates that show up in the update log, they simply do not show up in the list over installed updates...Is there any way to just uninstall the KB963027 without using "add or remove programs"? I have Vista Home Premium 32-bit BTW.
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 8:57 PM
  • I am having the same problem with one of the computers on our network.  It is Vista Ultimate 64bit Update KB963027 that is causing the problem I have uninstalled reinstalled both the update and Mcafee Virusscan 8.5.  The update makes browsers usless IE7, Google Chrome, and Firefox.  I have removed all toolbars tried the update with no security or antivirus software installed as well.  The only fix I can find is removing the update at this time.
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 3:05 PM
  • If you cannot access KB963027 I recommend doing a system restore to just prior to the install of KB963027.   Microsoft acknowledges that there are some known issues with this patch http://support.microsoft.com/kb/963027.  I will be installing IE 8, as this patch is not necessary for IE 8.  IE8 Failed - check out this post http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu/thread/5c4d3fd1-2f23-43be-a51e-ba626e310123
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 3:08 PM
  • hi, i tryed what you said still no joy
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 12:11 PM
  • hi eric

i,m having the same problem on my p.c i let windows update do its thing and now i cant accsess the net

i'm using xp home with sp3

big_ern
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 12:22 PM
  • Big_Ern,

Have you tried to use the System Restore tool to roll back to a restore point where the computer worked properly?  You can access System Restore at Start-->Accessories-->System Tools.

Go through the wizard and choose a date when the computer was acting correctly.  If you do not have System Restore turned ON, you can try uninstalling recent hot fixes to try to pinpoint the one that may be causing the issue.  To uninstall hot fixes, you will have to go to the Control Panel and choose Add/Remove Programs.  By default, the hot fixes are hidden so you will need to click the "show updates" box at the top of the dialog box.  Start uninstalling the most recent ones first (one at a time) to see if one of them is the problem.

Post back any findings in case it helps others.

Sunday, April 26, 2009 1:27 PM
  • I resolved the problem for the computer I was having trouble with and kept the update installed.  I read somewhere that it was because of an outdated security software.  We use Mcafee Enterprise I made sure that it was up to date and still was having the problem.  I did know that this particular computer had Norton Internet Security on it at one point in time however it was removed over a year ago.  I figured maybe some files were left over and I would try running the Norton Removal Tool SUCCESS!!!  After running the Norton Removal Tool I had internet access and the windows update was still installed.  If you have had a previous version of Norton or Mcafee they both have a removal tool that you can download.  This fixed my problem thanks for everyones help and input.
    You can get the Norton Removal tool from there website here.
    http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&ssfromlink=true&sprt_cid=1a13409b-29db-4397-a286-9dec49f8e252&seg=hho&ct=us&lg=en&docurl=20080828154508EN
    Mcafee remoal tool is here.
    http://majorgeeks.com/McAfee_Consumer_Product_Removal_Tool_d5420.html

Hope this helps.
    • Edited by Thadner Tuesday, April 28, 2009 4:51 PM
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 2:19 PM
  • Probably solved it by now, but wanted to add my experience.

If you have any anti-spyware program - ininstall it.  I had the same problem.  IE7 would not display but I could Ping.  I installed Firefox, and same problem

I uninstalled spybot 1.4 and like magic, it worked!  I used to like spybot, but noticed that I have experience lots of weird problems with it.

Monday, August 17, 2009 11:41 AM
  • I had same problem this morning.  After spending an hour with techsupport from my ISP I still had no resolution.  I then went into Tools, Internet options and deleted browsing history, cookies and it was fixed.  I went to windows update last night and immediately was asked to download something.  I did and awoke this morning with troubles.
    Wednesday, October 07, 2009 7:49 PM
  • This worked for me as well. I had recently removed Notron 360 in favor of ESET NOD32 and then installed Vista SP2. Browsers broken but could ping and resolve website names from a command prompt. I downloaded the Norton uninstaller (from another computer with internet access) and ran it. BAM! I'm back online. I've reinstalled Vista SP2 and all is good. **NOTE** I uninstalled ESET during this and would recommend at least disabling it before running the Vista SP2 installer. It seems to cause a hang at step 3 arounD 70%.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions!!!!

Scott
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 6:08 PM
  • I had the same problem in Nov, 17, 2009 after auto update has finished.
    The strange thing is FireFox connects to internet and I can browse sites by ip using IE.
    I also use outlook2007, it has ceased to work anymore.

Apparently in my case IE and outlook can not resolve dns names to IP addresses, and firefox does.

Wednesday, November 18, 2009 6:32 AM
  • I HAD THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM. I SPENT HOURS WITH MY ISP AND DID EVERYTHING FROM RESETTING IE TO REINSTALLING IE 7. I RAN THE NORTON UNINSTALLER AND VUA LA I HAVE INTERNET AGAIN. THANKS 
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 7:50 AM
  • hi, i have a basic windows vista laptop and  i just installed all of my updates that windows said was important and when i finished the updated the internet explorer wont load any web pages at all. ive tried everything even what you suggested in this form and still nothing

please help im a student and need my browser thank you

Friday, August 20, 2010 7:27 PM
  • After months of trying to figure out how to fix this issue - I read this post and it works :-) - Thank you

Use system restore to get a working system

Run Norton's Removal Tool http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&selected_nav=&pvid=&docurl=20080710133024EN

Hey presto - a working system!!!!!!!!

Friday, October 15, 2010 8:26 PM
  • My situation is similar and seems also to be related to Windows Update.

OS Win7 Home Premium 64bit

Avast5 AV

ZoneAlarm Pro

MalwareBytes AntiMalware with realtime protection

ThreatFire

Browsers: IE8 version 8.0.7600.16385, Mozilla FireFox version 3.6.12

Immunet Protect

About a week ago I had notification of 10 Windows updates. I selected 7, having unselected the Office ones, which I do not use. All downloaded and installed except one for IE. Tried various things, including manual install, but to no avail until I ran chkdsk. This identified and checked a couple of disc errors, unfortunately I cannot remember the details. I rebooted and the final update installed ok. Great I thought until I discovered that neither IE nor Firefox would open any web pages.

My router is BT HomeHub 2 with ethernet connection. I am connected to the internet as updates are working, just cannot open web pages. Tried in Safe Mode with networking and pages open without any problem.

I also have a laptop connected wirelessly to the BT Hub and have no problem with it. Also using ZoneAlarm Pro but with Microsoft Security Essentials instead of Avast5.

Have tried resetting the hub and clearing the IE history. Have not tried System Restore yet and I have no intention of living without MS updates. Also tried Network Diagnostics on Internet Connections. After about 2 seconds got an error message with code 0x80010105.

I have to say it is really disappointing that this problem has been around for such a long time without a clear-cut solution and that it is now present on Win7.

Any positive suggestions welcomed.

Thanks

Monday, November 01, 2010 4:30 PM
  • Unfortanatly, I do not have any positive notes here, but my friend to is having the same problem.. Bought a new lap top two months ago, and every time he does a certain "update" it corrupts his IE. He figured out how to do the system restore to before it does the update, and use it that way, but it would always auto update the "update". I helped him do another restore, and before connecting to the net, I disabled his "updates" so it will not do any updates, and at least he will be able to surf the net again.. This sucks since it is a "temp" fix, and I wish I myself could find a more permanant fix, but until something comes out that fix's this, he is screwed. I hope someone can shed the light on this, as in the previous post, for Window's 7 this kind of sucks.. Fortanantly I am not having this problem, I am dealing with my own right now.
    Monday, November 08, 2010 3:30 AM
  • I have this problem CONSTANTLY. I have a brand new HP Mini Netbook with Windows 7, IE7 and I for sure have internet connection, VZAccess Wireless Embedded card. I am friggin appalled that this was an issue with Windows Vista TWO YEARS AGO AND WINDOWS HAS NOT FIXED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have to use system restore every time I turn my effin computer on just to use the internet. I am so fed up. I am about to switch to Macbooks for good! The ____ with Windows! I have just completely turned off Windows Updates, so hopefully this problem does not recur again for quite some time. I had them at first set to ask me first prior to updates, but the issue just kept on popping up. Bill Gates, I know you're comfortable sitting on billions and billions of dollars, but PLEASE GET OFF YOUR ____ AND FIX THIS PROBLEM.
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 5:01 AM