none
Incorrect page display

Question

• Hi!

There seems to be a problem with IE displaying webpages.

So I have a webpage, with content wrapped in HTML, styled with CSS, with some JavaScript actions. This page displays correctly (as intended), almost exactly pixel-by-pixel in ALL browsers I've tried, including some niches like Comodo Dragon or Konqueror. However, this is not the case with Internet Explorer, a software masterpiece from codemasters at Microsoft.

The layout is all twisted up, some parts are not visible at all...
    The JS actions work really slow or don't fire at all...
    This happens with every version of IE.

Is there a simple solution to this, like putting [IE: worldwide_standards="accept"] in the page source?

After years of struggling with this - X hours spent on creating a page, and then another X hours wasted on making it look ok in IE - I'm finally ready to detect if a client uses IE and display a big red banner "This page cannot be displayed. Please use a web browser."

Monday, February 20, 2012 6:00 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

a link to your web site would help us help you.... Rants are useless. These are public forums. We do not work for or represent MS.

Of coarse you have validated your markup and corrected any errors and of coarse you are not using any browsing sniffing and are using the latest versions of any shims.

The IE Web Developement forum is here

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/iewebdevelopment/threads

Regards.

Rob^_^

Monday, February 20, 2012 6:37 PM
  • Hi! Thanks for your input!

Also, thanks for your willing to help, however I don't need one (I'm really, really deep into computers); I just needed to rant, what is useless (agreed on that).

I went into maniac mood after seeing that my hard work is of course displayed wrong in this crapware (which you just can't ignore because there are still significant numbers of braindeads using ie out there!!! M$ marketing works!!!)

The perspective of googling for "another dirty hack for IE" was not what you expect at the end of the day, when every standard-compliant browser shows just what you wanted it to.

Guess what it was this time?

A document was missing <!DOCTYPE>! Yes I know, that it's a good idea to have one, but in this testbed it so happened that it was missing. Not a problem for ANY browser still. What did ie think? "Oh my God no doctype - let me just go insane!"

And now the best part: setting <!DOCTYPE whatever> works perfectly fine!!! What is the point I ask?

</rant>

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 5:30 PM
  • Hi,

As IECUSTOMIZER said, your question is related to IE development, please start a new thread at the forum mentioned by IECUSTOMIZER.

Thanks for understanding.

Juke Chou

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 7:31 AM
  • @piottrek

Your frustration is understandable.... we all get it working with computers... me too.

Please take the time to read about the history of HTML http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML which will give you an insight into why Doctypes were introduced and their purpose....

basicly they allow the evolution of the original html markup language into the feature rich variants that are in use with modern browsers today, while still maintaining backward compatibility for pages that were written before the establishment of the w3c and the adoption of standards by the browser vendors.

Unlike FX, Chrome, and Opera, MSIE Trident was first written in the early days of the internet. the only other web browsers at that stage was CIM (Compuserve Information Manager) and Netscape.(I'm old enough to have actually used those first browsers... with a 75kbs modem the size of a brick).. the rest is history... however those legacy web pages (without a doctype, and with SGML parsing (tag soup) and other Quirks) are still with us today...

MSIE trident continues to support those Quirks documents, while also supporting Near Standards (pages with a valid DTD, but targeted for IE7 which uses a proprietry HasLayout attribute) and Standards mode...

Other browsers attempt to support Quirks documents (no DTD) by adding a html4 dtd to the document and using their own parsing rules to generate the DOM and render the page in a 'Standards' manner....

fundamentally where Trident, Webkit and Mozilla differ is in the way that they correct markup errors or recognise different css rules....

For you as a web developer, this means that to support all three rendering engines you should

use the latest DTD (x)html5.. but provide fallbacks for legacy versions of IE that do not natively support some of the new html5 elements, avoid browser sniffing in your scripting (use feature testing instead, see modernizr.js and jQuery.js) and include the proprietry prefixed style rules (eg. -ms-, -webkit-, -mos-) in your stylesheets.

mmm... I am going to end here.... I am in danger of ranting myself... and it is beyond the scope of this forum to discuss this further here.

I would encourage you to take the time to visit the IE Developer Center and to browse the resources and documentation available to help you write cross-browser, standards compliant web sites.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 9:12 AM