none
Internet Explorer 9 doesn't work anymore

Question

• Hi,

We've just got this simple Asus EE 12.1" Netbook (Intel 2 Cores, 2 MB Memory, 250 GB HD) with Windows 7 Home premium pre-installed. Of course 1st thing was to start updating it...

I cannot tell exactly at what point the internet Explorer 9 got installed over the 8 version but the last update on the actual 9 version was done yesterday together with some other ones for Office 2007 Pro (note that IE9 still worked yesterday morning).

I cannot tell you exactly what caused it but doesn't matter how I later on tried to open Internet Explorer it did NOT work. Did not do anything actually other than "trying" (I noticed the mouse working on the background)...

The single other software that got installed meanwhile is Norton Internet Security 2012 and System Mechanic 10.5.

I've tried to uninstall IE9 or even taking it out from the Windows features list. It does not work while I get this "some of the components could not be uninstalled" error message. I've reset IE9 settings... didn't work.  I have tried "Fixit" and didn't work. I've tried "sfc /scannow" and didn't work. Could not find the "hardware rendering etc." option though.

I've also tried to use the "no add-on" version with no success unfortunately.

Anyway, late last night I've got stuck consequently, I've ended up with... Google Chrome. While I know IE9 is the most secure I would rather use that one instead of Google Chrome.

Do you have an advice that may work for me? Thank you in advance!

• Edited by bigapplemc Tuesday, October 18, 2011 2:48 PM
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 2:22 PM

Answers

• I'll give it another try after disabling the Norton part completely and let you know...

If you also have Norton scanning HTTP traffic be aware that disabling it is often not enough.  E.g. apparently the way that the product hooks itself in as a proxy to do that causes a problem; then in that case it is necessary to uninstall it and reconfigure it not to do that.   Also, in that case sometimes the uninstaller doesn't work correctly and you may need to find a cleanup program for that.

FYI

Robert
    ---

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 2:57 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• The single other software that got installed meanwhile is Norton Internet Security 2012 and System Mechanic 10.5. 

Does that give you a software firewall?   Try removing that if so--use Windows firewall instead for your test.   Often what seems to happen is that a third-party security package gets behind in knowing which versions of IE are real and then blocking updates to it as potential "Trojan" replacements--all while giving their users zero diagnostics to help them understand what is happening but blaming IE because it is the thing which "isn't working".   ; ]

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 4:45 PM
    Answerer
  • Yes, Norton is the one that covers the firewall part (the single one that does it) while Windows 7 acknowledges it. Once again, it worked fine yesterday morning with Norton present already!

This is a 32 bit OS but I do have an older desktop, a 64 bit one with lots of other software installed and have NO problems on the IE9 front so far.

That being said my guess is that somehow during all these updates IE9 got screwed up on the newer system. Is there a FORCED way to uninstall and then reinstall it later on (I've tried to reinstall it over existing already but did not help)? Should I try a safe mode, disable all, etc. while under normal conditions I cannot 100% do any uninstall?

Thanks again!

P.S. I'll give it another try after disabling the Norton part completely and let you know...

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 7:09 PM
  • I'll give it another try after disabling the Norton part completely and let you know...

If you also have Norton scanning HTTP traffic be aware that disabling it is often not enough.  E.g. apparently the way that the product hooks itself in as a proxy to do that causes a problem; then in that case it is necessary to uninstall it and reconfigure it not to do that.   Also, in that case sometimes the uninstaller doesn't work correctly and you may need to find a cleanup program for that.

FYI

Robert
    ---

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 2:57 AM
    Answerer