none
Internet Explorer closes abrubtly while trying to search in Google

Question

• Hi

Internet explorer closes abruptly without any error messages most of the time and sometime with the typical "Dont Send" screen. Got the below information from the error information. Already tried KB867282, still I'm having issues. I have machines with Win XP Sp2 as well as SP3, both type of machines do have the issue. Since my users are mostly restricted to search within google we encounter this issue only while trying to enter something in the google search box & very specific to be at times only when entering Special characters for wild card search or numerics.

AppName: iexplore.exe  AppVer: 6.0.2900.5512  ModName: mshtml.dll
    ModVer: 6.0.2900.5945  Offset: 00072472

This is the only information I have got with reference to the issue.

• Tried unregistering mshtml.dll and reinstalling the ie6 from "Add remove components" still the issue persists.
    • Tried disabling all addons
    • Tried removing the user profile and reloading with a fresh one
    • Tried the IE Fix utility(3rd Party)
    • Tried upgrading Win XP SP2 machines to SP3

Upgrading to IE 7 or 8 is not a solution for us since we have applications which are compatible only to IE 6.

I would really appreciate a effective solution. Thanks in advance.

Thursday, October 06, 2011 12:23 PM

Answers

• Whenever you answered the thread I thought you were pretty aware of what guys mention as "Google Search". 

Google Search can mean a variety of things.  And there is also an aspect of it that you still aren't disclosing:  newer IE browsers support a feature called Search Suggestions which Google apparently calls Instant Predictions or  Google Instant  for a feature name.

http://www.google.com/instant/

So, if you have that enabled I suggest you turn it off.   IE6 was created long before that feature appeared.   And if you haven't tried spoofing an IE6 UAS with IE8 yet for your problem sites I suspect that would be your best solution all around.

Good luck

Robert
    ---

• Marked as answer by Shourie Monday, October 31, 2011 10:43 AM
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 6:08 AM

All replies

• Already tried KB867282

Why stop there?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/bulletin/MS11-057

(found via Security Bulletin Search Tool)

Also note that even if you are up-to-date from a security patch perspective if you only have GDR level modules you don't have any associated hotfixes (e.g. QFE or LDR level modules).

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, October 06, 2011 3:02 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, tried it out in a couple of machines, issue still persists. Just wondering why IE doesn't close while surfing other websites and crashes only when entering google search text box. I am searching for solution in other aspects as script debugging, what interaction might be with the OS when text is keyed in google text search window.

If there is other turnaround please let me know.

Sunday, October 09, 2011 10:36 AM
  • Try to reset IE to resolve the issue.

How to reset Internet Explorer settings
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

If it does not help, troubleshoot with No Add-ons Mode.

Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx

If the issue persists in No Add-ons Mode, please troubleshoot with Clean Boot Mode.

How to configure Windows 7 to start in a "clean boot" state
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 5:33 AM
  • Thanks for your time Arthur, but want to remind you that I'm using XP SP2 & SP3 machines with IE6 and upgrading to IE 7 or IE 8 is not an option for me. All solutions you have suggested doesn't support XP Professional.
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 10:36 AM
  • I suggest you upgrade your IE to resolve the issue.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, October 21, 2011 9:49 AM
  • What appears to be the same or a similar issue is happening for at least 6 users at my organization.  It started with one user and is gradually cropping up with others over the course of a week or so. When they try typing in the Google search box at google.com, occasionally the browser will crash after typing only one letter into the box.  Sometimes it can be repeated over and over with the same letter/number/character. 

We have tried upgrading their browsers from IE6 to IE7, same issue.  We then tried upgrading from IE7 to IE8, same issue.  We have also tried upgrading them to SP3 if it was not already installed, same issue.  On one of the computers I attempted to go to the Google Search preferences area to disable Instant Search, and the browser crashed.  I have done full system virus scans with both Symantec Endpoint Protection and MalwareBytes Anti-Malware on several of the computers and found no commonalities. The issue is becoming increasingly frustrating not only for the users but for us in the IT department as well.

Currently I am testing what happens when removing one of their local profiles, but this is a tedious process and does not explain what is causing the issue in the first place.

Friday, October 21, 2011 12:10 PM
  • Strobe, I am in due to provide a solution for my users. At least glad someone has pretty similar issue :-(

Please let me know if you come across a solution and for sure I will let you know if get a proper fix to the issue.

Below is something I got from Google forum, anyway there are several networks which still work in IE6 and able to google without issues, so lets keep trying to give our users a fix.

"philridout has posted an answer to the question "Internet Explorer 6 closes abruptly when entering text in the search box":

I would really recommend you move to a different browser. Google no longer provides support for IE6 for any of its products
    http://www.google.com/support/ a/bin/answer.py?answer=33864"
    "philridout has posted an answer to the question "Internet Explorer 6 closes abruptly when entering text in the search box":

I understand and wish you luck. But you will increasingly find bits of Google Sites that simply do not work with IE 6 and never will. I know from experience, for example, that the horizontal navigation bar does not work correctly under IE6. But since Google's policy is not to support IE6, this will never be fixed for IE6. It is possible that the same is true of your problem"
    Monday, October 24, 2011 7:45 AM
  • Sorry Arthur, since my issue isn't resolved yet, I can't consider upgrading IE as an answer and if the forum is open without answer somebody might help us resolve the issue.
    Monday, October 24, 2011 7:49 AM
  • Same Issue here, two users still on IE6 due to an old application.  Everyone else on IE8.

Both IE6 users crash on Google search.  Upgrade to IE7 they still crash. 

Rebuild XP from scratch, Install IE6, install all updates.  Google search crashes.

Monday, October 24, 2011 4:54 PM
  • Same Issue here, two users still on IE6 due to an old application.  Everyone else on IE8.

Both IE6 users crash on Google search.  Upgrade to IE7 they still crash. 

Rebuild XP from scratch, Install IE6, install all updates.  Google search crashes.

@ Andrey

To avoid confusion you really should open your open thread with your own details.  However, since details here are relatively sparse it may help to use your case for comparison purposes.   E.g. have you checked whether the "two users still on IE6" really need to stay on IE6 and couldn't just use an MSIE 6.0  User-Agent  string for a workaround?

Also, what is "Google Search"?  If it is an add-on have you tried removing it and seing if that changes your symptom?   Then you could do your Google searching via the Google website.

Good luck

Robert
    ---

Monday, October 24, 2011 8:51 PM
  • Thanks Andrey, I have another user in a different thread with similar issue and following up if he has got a solution.

Thanks for your time Robert. But we need to clarify you what "Google search" is, its something you get when accessing the google home page to our corresponding region. for me its as below and might vary for Andrey.

http://www.google.co.in/

Whenever you answered the thread I thought you were pretty aware of what guys mention as "Google Search".

Added, issue persists even when updated with IE8. I believe there is a work around, but we are not striking the right chord.

Andrey please keep posting and confirm the details like Application version and error log details. Please do add to RSS feeds for follow up.

Thanks to all.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 7:30 AM
  • Whenever you answered the thread I thought you were pretty aware of what guys mention as "Google Search". 

Google Search can mean a variety of things.  And there is also an aspect of it that you still aren't disclosing:  newer IE browsers support a feature called Search Suggestions which Google apparently calls Instant Predictions or  Google Instant  for a feature name.

So, if you have that enabled I suggest you turn it off.   IE6 was created long before that feature appeared.   And if you haven't tried spoofing an IE6 UAS with IE8 yet for your problem sites I suspect that would be your best solution all around.

Good luck

Robert
    ---

• Marked as answer by Shourie Monday, October 31, 2011 10:43 AM
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 6:08 AM
  • Newer IE browsers support a feature called Search Suggestions which Google apparently calls Instant Predictions or  Google Instant  for a feature name.

So, if you have that enabled I suggest you turn it off.   IE6 was created long before that feature appeared.

Thanks Robert, Great!!! That was it.

Google windows doesn't close when this predictions option is turned off. Yes now that the issue is apparent, can you help me fix the issue. My users are pretty used to this predictions feature and coz of some issues if it doesn't work they just keep complaining and escalating.

Added, there are other centers in our network in which they are able to use the predictions to search in google and they don't have the issue.

Monday, October 31, 2011 10:50 AM
  • My users are pretty used to this predictions feature and coz of some issues if it doesn't work they just keep complaining and escalating.

Have you tried using a UAS spoof with them with IE8 installed?

Added, there are other centers in our network in which they are able to use the predictions to search in google and they don't have the issue.

Going back to my first response I would wonder if some of your users ever got a hotfix.   In that case they would be on the LDR track for updates, not just the GDR one.

HTH

Robert
    ---

Monday, October 31, 2011 12:39 PM
  • I have compatibility issues with a few packages (Dictionary) installed on computer and I dont think spoofing UAS with IE8 will help.

As per my understanding UAS can help us access sites which are compatible with IE6 from a machine with IE8 installed on it. If I am right, spoofing is not gonna help me out, else please correct me.

Already tried as per the below bulletin as per your first reply to this post.

Wednesday, November 02, 2011 9:13 AM
  • As per my understanding UAS can help us access sites which are compatible with IE6 from a machine with IE8 installed on it. If I am right, spoofing is not gonna help me out, else please correct me.

It might.  You would have to try it to find out for sure or check with the support site for your package for a possible workaround or fix.

Already tried as per the below bulletin as per your first reply to this post.

This does not show that you understand the difference between GDR and LDR updates or that you know which versions your users now have.

---

Wednesday, November 02, 2011 11:11 AM