"internet explorer has stopped working" with Vista home premium and office 2003

Question

• This is the most aggravated I have been in 20 years of working with computers!. I'll be right in the middle of placing an order or some other action and the IE stops working!.   I bought a new toshiba laptop in February and the first time I went to toshiba about the problem they told me to go to Microsoft. Now when I go to Microsoft they tell me to go to Toshiba (or pay for help).  Nobody's responsible!  I wonder if Mac notebooks have the same problem.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 1:04 AM

Answers

•  

Hi Charlie, I fully understand the inconvenience you have encountered. For the current issue, we can try the following steps to troubleshoot it.

1.    Open the Start menu and point to All Programs.

2.    Point to Accessories, click System Tools, and then click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

If Internet Explorer 7 works in this mode, the problem should be caused by add-ons, you may use the following steps to check the problematic add-on:

1.    In Internet Explorer No Add-ons mode, click Tools, then select Internet Options.

2.    Switch to Programs tab, click Manage add-ons.

3.    Disable some add-ons to narrow down the scope until figure out the problematic one.

If No Add-on mode fails to work, Internet Explorer may be corrupted. Please try to reset Internet Explorer by steps below:

1.  Click Start, Type inetcpl.cpl and press ENTER. 

2.  On the Advanced tab, and then click Reset.

3.  On the Security tab, and then click Reset all Zones to default level.

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 3:00 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Charlie, I fully understand the inconvenience you have encountered. For the current issue, we can try the following steps to troubleshoot it.

1.    Open the Start menu and point to All Programs.

2.    Point to Accessories, click System Tools, and then click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

If Internet Explorer 7 works in this mode, the problem should be caused by add-ons, you may use the following steps to check the problematic add-on:

1.    In Internet Explorer No Add-ons mode, click Tools, then select Internet Options.

2.    Switch to Programs tab, click Manage add-ons.

3.    Disable some add-ons to narrow down the scope until figure out the problematic one.

If No Add-on mode fails to work, Internet Explorer may be corrupted. Please try to reset Internet Explorer by steps below:

1.  Click Start, Type inetcpl.cpl and press ENTER. 

2.  On the Advanced tab, and then click Reset.

3.  On the Security tab, and then click Reset all Zones to default level.

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 3:00 AM
  • Hi, I'm also having the same problem that Internet Expolorer says the same error and quit. I've tried the steps you've given. I couldn't get it work by both of those steps. Is there any source I can download a new version of IE 7.0 for vista and re-install over my corrupted IE ? As a web designer I need IE desperately.
    Thanks in advance.
    Thursday, May 15, 2008 9:30 PM
  •  

Hi, we can try to perform a Clean Boot and check if this is related to 3rd party startup programs:

1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can re-enable them later. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click "OK".

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment., if the issue disappears, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Monday, May 19, 2008 6:54 AM