none
Force IE8 to open all links in a new tab

Question

• What I want to do is have every link I click on within Internet Explorer 8 to open in a new tab.  This would simulate the action of Ctrl+Clicking links or clicking with the mouse scroll wheel on every link.

I've tried all the settings under Tools...Internet Options...Tabs, but none of them do what I want.  Is this not possible with IE8?  I know with Firefox there is the TabMixPlus add-on that allows you to have this functionality, does one exist for IE if this isn't possible within the browser itself?

Tuesday, December 07, 2010 9:28 PM

Answers

• Thanks Nick, I'm aware of the shortcuts as I mentioned them in my original post.  I understand the differences between the two browsers and realize its truly the add-on which allows this to happen, not Firefox in its native form.

I couldn't find a way to acheive this in IE, which led me to posting here.  Thanks for confirming my suspicion was right as to this being impossible in IE.  Thanks.

• Marked as answer by RJO22 Friday, December 10, 2010 8:16 PM
    Friday, December 10, 2010 8:15 PM

All replies

•  

Hi,

Please try this:

1.    In Internet Explorer, click Tools - Internet Options.

2.    Under Tabs, Click Settings.

3.    In Tabbed Browsing Settings, in “When a pop-up is encountered”, select “Always open pop-ups in a new tab” and click OK to apply this setting.

Regarding how it works when opening a link, based on my reseach, I think it is also related to how the webpage is designed. For example, when you click a link, a new window will be opened; if you click another link, it will be opened in the same tab. In this kind of situation, I think you need to use the shortcut key “CTRL + Clicking link” to open it in a new tab.

Meanwhile, I would like to share the following with you for your reference:

Tabbed browsing: frequently asked questions

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Tabbed-browsing-frequently-asked-questions

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, December 09, 2010 3:58 AM
  • Thanks Nicholas.  I did try that option, but it does not force every link to open in a new tab like I desire.  I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the way pages are designed, I may just have to stick with Firefox + TabMixPlus in order to have the browsing experience I desire, as I'd prefer to not have to Ctrl + Click or click with my mouse wheel all the time.

Let me know if you think of any other ideas.

Thursday, December 09, 2010 7:41 PM
  •  

Hi,

For the websites, the behaviors of clicking some links are different due to how they are designed; there should be some purposes about why they are designed in such way.

As far as I know, there might be no other way to achieve this in Internet Explorer. Please understand that Internet Explorer and Firefox are different, such as on how they are designed and how they work; and Firefox needs an add-on to do this.

In Internet Explorer, there are many shortcut keys to reduce the operations and make it easier to use; I think you can have a try. I would like to share the following with you for your reference:

Internet Explorer keyboard shortcuts

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Internet-Explorer-keyboard-shortcuts

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, December 10, 2010 10:15 AM
  • Thanks Nick, I'm aware of the shortcuts as I mentioned them in my original post.  I understand the differences between the two browsers and realize its truly the add-on which allows this to happen, not Firefox in its native form.

I couldn't find a way to acheive this in IE, which led me to posting here.  Thanks for confirming my suspicion was right as to this being impossible in IE.  Thanks.

• Marked as answer by RJO22 Friday, December 10, 2010 8:16 PM
    Friday, December 10, 2010 8:15 PM
  • So frustrating.  I use IE8 at work - have no choice about the matter.  I use Firefox at home and have for years.  I find myself right-clicking now to open in new tab even at home.  lol.  Hard to believe IE won't create an add-on that allows users to always open in a new tab. 
    Friday, December 09, 2011 2:39 PM
  • You could also invest in a mouse with an extra programmable button, that can be designated as Ctrl+Click, or Middle-Click.  Plenty of those around made by Microsoft and Logitech, amongst others.  I personally use a Logitech RX1500 (now discontinued) and it has a tiny little button next to the scroll wheel, which helpfully doubles up as a 'middle click' button, which opens in a new tab in IE, Firefox and Chrome.  (Incidentally the RX1500 also has free wheel scrolling, which is absolutely amazing for productivity.  Other quality peripherals are available!)
    Wednesday, January 09, 2013 1:49 PM
  • I couldn't find a way to acheive this in IE

You could try abusing the command-line syntax for the file-type associations that IE has defined.   E.g. perhaps adding  -noframemerging   would achieve what you want?

Ref:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ie/ee330728(v=vs.85).aspx 

---

Wednesday, January 09, 2013 7:41 PM