none
How to remove the x button(Close Tab) on the right side of the tab?

Question

• Hi guys,

Does anyone has any idea about how to remove the x button(Close Tab) on the right side of the tab?

When I open lots of pages and switch from one to another, I might click on it by mistake, which will cause big troubles.

Any help would be appreciated!

Monday, October 03, 2011 8:31 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I understand your situation. Unfortunately, this feature is by the design. You cannot remove it.

Thanks for understanding

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Thursday, December 01, 2011 6:16 AM
    Thursday, October 06, 2011 5:20 AM
  • Does anyone has any idea about how to remove the x button(Close Tab) on the right side of the tab?

You can't remove the "X" Button (Close Tab) in Internet Explorer.

Regards,
    Vincenzo Di Russo
    Microsoft® MVP Windows Internet Explorer, Windows & Security Expert - since 2003.
    Moderator in the Microsoft Answers and TechNet Forums
    My MVP Profile: https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Vincenzo
    • Proposed as answer by zhen tan Thursday, October 06, 2011 3:09 AM
    Tuesday, October 04, 2011 6:00 AM

All replies

• I might click on it by mistake, which will cause big troubles.

Not such big troubles.   You can use  Ctrl-Shift-T  to retrieve the last closed tab.

---

Monday, October 03, 2011 10:23 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, yes I can retrieve that page, but if I'm inputting something in that page like this, then I will never be able to get it back.

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 12:50 AM
  • Thanks for the reply, yes I can retrieve that page, but if I'm inputting something in that page like this, then I will never be able to get it back. 

True.   For that if it had been anything more extensive you would have to have developed the habit of backing up your work.   E.g. always pressing Ctrl-a Ctrl-c  before you click on buttons in your web page.   Then, after doing the Ctrl-Shift-T you would just have to restart your Reply and do a  Ctrl-v  to be right-back where you were when you took your "backup".   ; }

Robert
    ---

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 3:23 AM
  • Hi Robert,

Thanks for the wonderful idea! But could you help on how to remove this button? Or you think this couldn't be done?

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 5:46 AM
  • Does anyone has any idea about how to remove the x button(Close Tab) on the right side of the tab?

You can't remove the "X" Button (Close Tab) in Internet Explorer.

Regards,
    Vincenzo Di Russo
    Microsoft® MVP Windows Internet Explorer, Windows & Security Expert - since 2003.
    • Proposed as answer by zhen tan Thursday, October 06, 2011 3:09 AM
    Tuesday, October 04, 2011 6:00 AM
  • Hi,

I understand your situation. Unfortunately, this feature is by the design. You cannot remove it.

Thanks for understanding

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, October 06, 2011 5:20 AM
  • OK

Thanks for the replies. Thanks everybody.

Thursday, October 06, 2011 5:24 AM
  • OK

Thanks for the replies. Thanks everybody.
    You're welcome. Glad to help and thanks for your feedback.

Regards,

Vincenzo Di Russo
    Thursday, October 06, 2011 5:52 AM
  • Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'd like to make a point about this issue.  I often find that I delete a tab by mistake, and the problem is that for tabs not currently in use, the red X only appears as you hover over it.  Otherwise the space is occupied by text. 

For example, if I switch to another tab now, the tab for this thread reads "How to remove the x b...".  If I quickly try to switch back, it's extremely easy to click on the last bit, not noticing that "b..." becomes a red 'x' just as I click on it.  To me, this is a thoroughly bad piece of design.  You should not be able to delete something by clicking on an area of text that changes only milliseconds beforehand to a red 'x'.  I'd prefer to have the x's there all the time and put up with the reduced text width.

Saturday, December 03, 2011 10:52 PM
  • this is a thoroughly bad piece of design

It wasn't like that originally.   It was requested.   Like a lot of other bad ideas the squeaky wheel got the grease.

---

Sunday, December 04, 2011 1:27 AM
  • Like the other users who have posted comments to this thread, I find that I sometimes accidentally delete a tab -- this is annoying; it's especially easy to do when you're in a hurry.   It would be nice if there was a setting that would allow users to remove the 'x', and perhaps an option to enable deleting a tab by doing a shift-click or control-click.  

Furthermore, there already are a couple fairly quick ways to delete a tab besides the red x:

• right-clicking and selecting "close tab",
      • control-w

So, I really don't see why the red x has to be mandatory.   My two cents.

Mike

Thursday, October 18, 2012 8:54 PM
  • Here's one more suggestion for an alternative to the "left click on red x" as a way of closing a tab.   Suppose right-clicking on a tab anywhere to the left of the red x brought up the context menu, but right-clicking on the x itself closed the tab.   This way, you would have to be careful where you position the mouse pointer only when you click with the right mouse button, but not when you click with the left mouse button.

Mike

• Edited by mkedwards Thursday, October 18, 2012 9:13 PM
    Thursday, October 18, 2012 9:02 PM
  • Like the other users who have posted comments to this thread, I find that I sometimes accidentally delete a tab -- this is annoying; it's especially easy to do when you're in a hurry.   It would be nice if there was a setting that would allow users to remove the 'x', and perhaps an option to enable deleting a tab by doing a shift-click or control-click.  

Furthermore, there already are a couple fairly quick ways to delete a tab besides the red x:

• right-clicking and selecting "close tab",
      • control-w

So, I really don't see why the red x has to be mandatory.   My two cents.

Mike

• we can also close the tab by click the Middle mouse button (wheel)

I just don't need the annoying red x to be there

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 4:40 AM
  • That annoying X button MUST BE DISABLED why the hell isnt there a tab settings menu! I lost a big paragraph in a forum AGAIN because of that stupid feature

Sunday, December 23, 2012 7:22 AM
  • Its default one, I guess can not be removed

Thanks HA

Sunday, December 23, 2012 5:20 PM
  • As another user has said, unfortunately you can not remove these annoying individual close buttons in IE.

This is the reason I use Firefox. In Firefox you can customise these things to your own preference. For example I have just ONE [x] close button which is situated all the way to the right of the tabs. Clicking it will close the current tab. Therefore there is no chance to accidentally mis-click a close button on an individual tab when you simply want to switch to it. If you want this functionality in Firefox, go to "about:config" (type it into the address bar); go to browser.tabs.closebuttons - and change the value to "3".

If only Internet Explorer did the same thing. And yes, I know I'm posting this on a Microsoft website - but if any Microsoft employees are reading this, then please take note that this was THE REASON I dumped IE and started using Firefox. Perhaps you should let your users customise their interface to their liking?

Thursday, May 02, 2013 9:08 AM