none
Internet Explorer keeps changing proxy settings

Question

• Hi,

I'm facing a strange problem on a lot of Windows machines at my company: the Internet Explorer proxy settings keeps changing.

The proxy settings are being set by a Domain GPO, but on several machines the proxy settings revert back do "Automatically detect settings" from time to time. I'm pretty sure that the GPO is rightly configured. I just need to run gpupdate /force to correct the proxy settings. And all machines have a up-to-dated antivirus software installed.

Now the strange thing: while using Procmon to find out which process changed the AutoConfigURL registry key, I found that iexplore.exe process executed by itself a RegDeleteKey command to clear this key.

I've tried disabling several add-ons, but the problem is still happening. Does anyone know if there is a way to discover "what" inside IE is removing the proxy configurations? Or if something is invoking IE to do this nasty job? :P

Tks

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 1:04 AM

Answers

• Actually I found out what happened.

Here in Brazil almost every bank and financial institution demand us to install a security plugin to help on protecting their internet banking access. These plugins work almost independently, they update by themselves and take any necessary action without warning the user.

And that's what happended with us: one of the most used internet banking by the employees updated its security plugin automatically, and this new version was checking if the proxy configured in IE was suspicious. Sadly, for some reason it considered our proxy address as a threat and removed it using the RegDeleteKey command. Just some minutes after we put back the proxy address, the plugin removed it again.

This loop lasted for almost two weeks. After figuring out what was happening, I have contacted the support personel of this bank. They knew that it was a known issue, and executed a remote action to downgrade their little monster, which solved the problem.

Saturday, January 05, 2013 2:35 PM
  • Hi,

First of all, I would like suggest you reset the Internet Explorer to check how it works:

How to reset Internet Explorer settings

If this issue persist, you can try to check whether the local policy named “Disable changing proxy settingsis enabled. If yes, please disable this policy.

Also you can try to use Microsoft fix it tool to reset your IE proxy setting.

Finally, some virus/Trojan would cause this issue. Please using Malwarebytes or MSE to scan the local computer.

Regards.

Spencer

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 9:46 AM

All replies

• Hi,

First of all, I would like suggest you reset the Internet Explorer to check how it works:

How to reset Internet Explorer settings

If this issue persist, you can try to check whether the local policy named “Disable changing proxy settingsis enabled. If yes, please disable this policy.

Also you can try to use Microsoft fix it tool to reset your IE proxy setting.

Finally, some virus/Trojan would cause this issue. Please using Malwarebytes or MSE to scan the local computer.

Regards.

Spencer

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 9:46 AM
  • Actually I found out what happened.

Here in Brazil almost every bank and financial institution demand us to install a security plugin to help on protecting their internet banking access. These plugins work almost independently, they update by themselves and take any necessary action without warning the user.

And that's what happended with us: one of the most used internet banking by the employees updated its security plugin automatically, and this new version was checking if the proxy configured in IE was suspicious. Sadly, for some reason it considered our proxy address as a threat and removed it using the RegDeleteKey command. Just some minutes after we put back the proxy address, the plugin removed it again.

This loop lasted for almost two weeks. After figuring out what was happening, I have contacted the support personel of this bank. They knew that it was a known issue, and executed a remote action to downgrade their little monster, which solved the problem.

Saturday, January 05, 2013 2:35 PM
  • i had the same problem and managed to solve it..For this method you have to know when the problem started so that you will be able to take your pc back to when it was functioning properly

To restore your PC to an earlier point in time

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
      (If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and then clickSearch.)

2. Enter Control Panel in the search box, and tap or click Control Panel.

3. Enter Recovery in the Control Panel search box, and then tap or click Recovery.

4. Tap or click Open System Restore, and then follow the instructions.

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 9:37 PM