none
IE 10 Spell Check Stops Working

Question

• Reaching out to the community here.  Is there anyone else out there that had their spell checking stop working on the desktop version of IE 10 in Windows 8?  It works in the metro interface (who really cares right?) but not in desktop.  It also works logged in as a different user.  I went under my profile settings and ensured that both autocorrection and spell checking were switched to the on position but still no go.

Is this a known issue by chance?  Driving me just a little nuts.  Thanks!

-Micah-

Saturday, December 22, 2012 2:21 PM

Answers

All replies

• Thanks for the response!  That's about the only other thread I found about this issue.  It does work when logging on as a different user, however, I would like to fix it for my profile.
    Sunday, December 23, 2012 4:22 PM
  • I doubt this has any silver bullets on it,

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

I suppose the first thing is to clear your browser,

Open ie9 or access it through your control panel,

Ctrl+Shift+Delete or Internet options,

Check All of the boxes then Uncheck the very top box,

Click on Delete.

After that go to Internet options again,

Click on the Security section,

Click on the Custom level button,

Change any setting and Apply and okay, confirm Yes,

Click on Reset all zones to Default,

Apply and Okay.

Clear any Safe sites lists/ and All restricted sites list you may have used in the past.

Go to the Content section and click on Clear ssl state, Apply and Okay.

Monday, December 24, 2012 12:46 AM
  • Hi,

To fix a profile issue, I suggest you refer to the following article:

Fix a corrupted user profile

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Regards,

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 24, 2012 5:54 AM
  • Well here is what ended up fixing the issue I believe.  It's the only thing that changed recently that I am aware of.  I installed the following two Windows Updates (KB2770917 and KB2779768).  After rebooting the spell checker in IE 10 desktop mode started working.  Thank you everyone for all of the suggestions.
    • Marked as answer by Micah Howard Monday, January 07, 2013 12:19 PM
    Monday, January 07, 2013 12:19 PM
  • Hello, to everyone.

If your Spell Check suddenly STOPS working in IE10 (Win8) ""DESKTOP"" access NOT Metro(Start Page) IE10 access(IE10 DSKTOP is different than IE10 Metro), is due to the """""update KB2770917"""". Once you remove it, it will starts to work again. I was on the phn with MS tech, and I was not sure about this update, so we removed it and wallahh, it started to work just fine again(I suggested that to him, but he kept telling me, he did not think that would be it and saying update does not do such a thing, WRONG). We removed it anyway and it worked, we put it back and Spell check stopped again. He could not believe it and told me he will escalate it to higher level to see why it's doing that. So, do not install it and remove it till MS figures it out as to Why,(SOON I hope). I hope this helps you guys. BTW, that's the ONLY update to my experience that does that. other ones are ok so far. Very Strange, never seen that happed before.

(for those who may need help removing this update, here is how to do it)To remove it just press Win key(windows Logo on the Keyboard) + X (together), click, Control panel, then click System & Security, then click, Win Update, then on left side, click, Update History. then on top in "BLUE" writing, click "Installed Updates". from there find update KB2770917 and "RIGHT CLICK" on it and select UNINSTALL. Once it is Uninstalled, it will ask you "Restart PC". from There you will see Win's is configuring. DONE.

BTW, make sure you watch this update, as windows will try to install it automatically, you can tell it NOT to update this update and put it aside for now till FIX comes.    

Friday, March 15, 2013 9:30 PM
  • I just tried this and it did NOT fix the issue.
    Wednesday, April 24, 2013 8:36 AM
  • I also just tried and it did not fix the issue.

For the record:

Windows 8 64Bit Enterprise

I am attached to a domain.

16GB RAM

All Windows Updates installed.

Senior Vice President, Software Development - Allin Interactive

Monday, July 22, 2013 3:49 PM
  • Me neither, I am hoping that this is fixed in 8.1 as it's an on again off again issue.
    Monday, July 22, 2013 5:14 PM
  • Spell Check was working on my IE10 on a Windows 8 computer, but has stopped working for no apparent reason. Using Google Chrome, Spell Check does work, so the easiest answer is to change the default browser until the IE 10 issue is fixed
    Sunday, September 01, 2013 4:08 PM
  •    Spell check comes and goes, once in a while a new update will come out then it starts working for a few days then it stops for several months. Last week it started working again. That lasted 2 days now its out again. I'm giving up and am just going to start using Fire Fox more of the time until I get used to it. IE10 has been one buggy Browser for me from the get go.

MS needs to give up the current spell check and go back to the plug-in version which worked all the time.

There are no answers that I have come across to fix this once and for all. It might be something else I have installed who knows. The bottom line is this vesion of spell check is unreliable. MS please put the spell check back in the browser and leave metro by itself.

• Edited by Rhonbo Monday, October 28, 2013 7:51 PM
    Monday, October 28, 2013 7:48 PM