Printing in IE 9

Question

• Have over 40 workstations in my domain.  As each of these Win7 x64 pc's get updated with SP1 and with IE9 I have users that can non longer print from Internet Explorer unless they specifically run IE as Administrator.  I have tried disabling AV, trying reducing security settings, tried re-installing and so far I am ending up blank.  Any suggestions?

All users are local admins of their PC.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 4:13 PM

Answers

• All:
    Thank you so much to those that reported issues and made active contributions to these investigations. Also to those within our community that provided assistance, greatly appreciated. The thread will be locked. As a reminder:

The issue Windows Fax and Scan script error has been resolved (see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2647169).

For other print related issues see:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973479

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2652062

If this does not resolve an issue you are experiencing, I'd ensure that it's not an add-on causing interference (run iexplore -extoff to disable add-ons and check).

New Issues:
    If you have a new print issue that is not addressed by the KB's or the Hotfix then please start your own new thread and post the specifics of your issue. I'd recommend including all relevant information such as:
    Specific steps to reproduce the issue.
    OS/ version /Service Pack (e.g. Windows 7 SP1).
    32 / 64 bit.
    IE9 update version (found in help/about).
    Printer and printer driver information.
    Printer is: Networked, standalone, shared?
    urls not working (if it's all printing again please see KB's).
    Error message(s).
    Relevant third party applications (e.g. print maangement / accounting software).
    Browser add ons.
    Steps you've tried to mitigate (e.g. running iexplore -extoff or from admin).

General advice: Please do consider contacting technical support and opening an incident, if you have an urgent problem impacting your business.

User from SUNCOS: Please contact me directly ie9pq at microsoft dot com so that we can get some facts around the specifics of any print issue you feel is not addressed by the answers already provided by the great community folks here and from the support and product groups.

Regards
    Mark.

Mark Feetham Senior Program Manager Internet Explorer Product Quality

Monday, February 27, 2012 4:06 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for the post!

What the error message you got when do not run IE as administrator?

Click Start, input msconfig in the search bar, press Enter. In the General Tab, select "Selective Startup", only check "Load system services". On the Services Tab, select "Hide all Microsoft services", then click "Disable All". Then restart the computer, open the Internet Explorer 9, does it work now?

If it works, then one by one enable the service to check which cause this issue.

How about print from other Browers? How about print a word file ?

Please provide us with detailed error message for further troubleshooting if the steps above doesn't work.

In addition, as a workaround, you can create a shortcut of Internet Exploer 9, make it always run as administrator.

Right-click the shortcut, choose Properties, click Advanced, check Run as administrator. (If you turn on UAC, it will give you a prompt when you start IE.)

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, April 15, 2011 7:41 AM
  • the error I recieve is:

An error has occured in the script on this page.

Line: 2107

Char: 1

Error: Invalid procedure call or arguement

Code: 0

URL:: res://ieframe.dll/preview.js

I don't have this problem with any other browser, IE8, or any other application.  In addition, I cannot download items from MSPKC with IE9.  It obviously has soimething to do with permissions and security settings but I have not been able to trace it down.  These errors show up on every one of my workstations.  I have tried disabling my Sophos endpoint protection but it makes no difference.

I started selectively disabling services upon startup but this is very tedious and I can't believe that I am the only site experiencing the issue.

Any additional help would be greatly appreciated.

Monday, April 18, 2011 7:57 PM
  • I did also go through the process of disabling all add-ons and services, clearing out temp files, reset to IE defaults - no difference
    Monday, April 18, 2011 8:14 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the update.

Please open your Internet Explorer, click Tools - Internet Options - Advanced Tab,

Under Settings, do not check "Enable third-party browser extensions*", then Apply and OK. Restart the IE, check if it can print.

If it resolve the issue, please fully scan your computer to find if there's any virus or malware.

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 1:46 AM

I don't have this problem with any other browser, IE8, or any other application.  In addition, I cannot download items from MSPKC with IE9.  It obviously has soimething to do with permissions and security settings but I have not been able to trace it down.  These errors show up on every one of my workstations.  I have tried disabling my Sophos endpoint protection but it makes no difference.

I started selectively disabling services upon startup but this is very tedious and I can't believe that I am the only site experiencing the issue.

I get this error across my domain as well, but it specifically affects us when using Windows Fax & Scan.  The ONLY WAY to fix this is to uninstall IE9.  Interestingly, I CAN send faxes without issue directly from the fax server, WITH IE9 installed, running 2008 R2.

(exactly the same set-up as the person above--all users are local admins, this occurs on ALL workstations, I just spent the afternoon combing through my Group Policy configuration as well, but to no avail)
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 7:59 PM
  • Hello, I have the same problem. It's happen after installing IE9, problem sending Fax (also printing on a printer) !!!

Have you found a solution ?

Thanks

Luca

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 12:39 PM
  • Hi Myia,

I have the same problem on 4 machine with Windows 7 64 bit. Each machine has the same error with the preview/print of a fax from fax client on window 7.

I think it's a IE9 bug.

Please have you some other ideas ?

Thanks

Luca

Luca Targa Vecomp Software
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 12:44 PM
  • My only solution at this point is to uninstall the IE 9.  There are no features that are so compelling to leave it installed when it has caused such a widescale problem in my offices.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 12:47 PM
  • See:
    1. You cannot print or view the print preview of a webpage in IE9
    2. Compatibility issues with HP Smart Web Printing and IE8 & IE9

Canon printer?

See: "IE9 Compatibility Issue with Canon Printer".

And: "Cannot print from Internet Explorer 9 using some Canon printers".

Regards,

Vincenzo Di Russo
    Microsoft® MVP Windows Internet Explorer, Windows & Security Expert - since 2003.
    Moderator in the Microsoft Answers and TechNet Forums
    My MVP Profile: https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Vincenzo

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 12:54 PM
  • Ciao Vincenzo

tutti i client Windows 7 32 e 64 bit del nostro cliente hanno questo errore se mettono delle stringhe all'interno del corpo del messaggio del client Fax di windows 7. E' un grosso problema.

Hai qualche suggerimento ?....potrei ritornare indietro con il system recovery state ma vorrei evitare. Ho visto che reinstallare IE8 è un problema (non c'e' il setup per Windows 7 !!).

Grazie

Luca

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 1:06 PM
  • Hi Rachel,

I have the same problem. All Windows 7, after IE9 installation stop sending fax (and printing with Office product).

Have you found some solutions ?

luca

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 1:23 PM
  • potrei ritornare indietro con il system recovery state ma vorrei evitare. Ho visto che reinstallare IE8 è un problema (non c'e' il setup per Windows 7 !!).
    Rimuovi Internet Explorer 9.
    Segui: "Come installare o disinstallare Internet Explorer 9".
    Automaticamente viene ripristinata la precedente versione di Internet Explorer.

See: "How do I install or uninstall Internet Explorer 9?"
    After you uninstall Internet Explorer 9, the previously installed version of Internet Explorer will be available on your computer. It is not necessary to reinstall.

Saluti.
    Vincenzo Di Russo
    Microsoft® MVP Windows Internet Explorer, Windows & Security Expert - since 2003.
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 1:52 PM
  • Grazie Vincenzo, avevo già provato ma non è così ...a quanto pare.

Ho seguito la doc. rimuovendo IE9 e riavviando non ho più il browser .....a meno che non abbia commesso qualche cavolata in precedenza.

Proverò su una macchina di produzione.

luca

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 2:35 PM
  • Di norma è sufficiente reimpostare Internet Explorer quale browser predefinito:
    "Modificare i programmi predefiniti mediante Impostazioni accesso ai programmi".

1. Chiudi Internet Explorer
    2. Start -> Programmi predefiniti -> Impostazioni accesso ai programmi -> Personalizzata (<- Importante!) -> "Scegliere il browser predefinito": seleziona il radio button "Internet Explorer" e la casella di controllo "Abilita accesso al programma".
    3. Click su "OK".

Inoltre potrebbe essere necessario reimpostare Internet Explorer
    Esegui il "Fix it" indicato nell'articolo della Microsoft Knowledge Base sopra indicato.

Se hai problemi con l'esecuzione del "Fix it" reimposta Internet Explorer manualmente:
    1 - Opzioni Internet.
    2 - Fare clic sulla scheda Avanzate.
    3 - Nella finestra di dialogo Reimposta Internet Explorer, fare clic su Reimposta, quindi di nuovo su Reimposta.
    4 - Una volta completato il ripristino delle impostazioni predefinite di Internet Explorer, fare clic su Chiudi nella finestra di dialogo Reimposta Internet Explorer.

Vincenzo Di Russo
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 2:53 PM
  • I have the same error on win 7 64 bit and sbs2008:

I cannot reinstall the ie8 because i have installed ie9

what can i do?

thanks

Ivano

Monday, May 02, 2011 2:01 PM
  • See:
    1. You cannot print or view the print preview of a webpage in IE9
    2. Compatibility issues with HP Smart Web Printing and IE8 & IE9

Canon printer?

See: "IE9 Compatibility Issue with Canon Printer".

And: "Cannot print from Internet Explorer 9 using some Canon printers".

Regards,
    Vincenzo Di Russo
    Monday, May 02, 2011 2:57 PM
  • Hi everybody,

No solutions found. I'm sorry but I've uninstalled IE 9 update. I roll back to IE 8. Now, all Windows 7 cliient fax work fine.

Thanks to all !!

We hope in the next IE9 Updates.

Luca

Thursday, May 05, 2011 12:45 PM
  • Yes,

I have done the same solution. I uninstall the IE9

Thanks!!!

Ivano

Friday, May 06, 2011 6:17 AM
  • All

Can you please provide:

A specific url to test

The Make and Model of printer

The driver supplier and version number.

Many thanks!

Mark

Friday, May 06, 2011 9:01 PM
  • It happens with EVERY URL.  MOst of my printers are Kyocera but I also have Oce, Brother, Samsung, and Xerox.

The problem exists regardless of which printer is set as default

Monday, May 09, 2011 3:07 PM
  • Thanks JMV-JPC.

Can we try a couple of things:

Install this hotfix http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=252242
    else:
    Uninstall/reinstall IE9 (view installed updates to find IE9). This will ensure that pre-requisites are re-delivered.

If you can supply the model numbers of the printers you've referenced above, the printer driver manufacturer (e.g direct from Kyocera) and the version number we can investigate.

If you want to contact me via ie9pq@microsoft.com we can dicuss this further.

Thanks

Mark

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 12:17 AM
  • Install this hotfix http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=252242
    Hi Mark,

Correct: "Cannot print from Internet Explorer 9 using some Canon printers" (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2522422/en-us).

Cheers,
    Vincenzo Di Russo
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 4:21 AM
  • Mark – I posted in the IE forums that none of my staff’s computers with IE9 will print from any URL to any printer.  You offered to talk directly with me about this issue.  You requested information on my printers and drivers:

Driver Name      Environment      Driver Version   Provider            Server Name     Type

Brother HL-2170W series            Windows x64    1.7.0.0  Brother Bernini (local)    Type 3 - User Mode

Brother HL-2170W series            Windows NT x86           1.7.0.0  Brother Bernini (local)    Type 3 - User Mode

Canon imageCLASS C2100        Windows x64    6.0.6001.18000  Microsoft          Bernini (local)    Type 3 - User Mode

KX DRIVER for Universal Printing          Windows x64    5.2.1108.0         Kyocera Mita Corporation          Bernini (local)            Type 3 - User Mode

Kyocera FS-3900DN KX            Windows x64    5.2.1108.0         Kyocera Mita Corporation          Bernini (local)    Type 3 - User Mode

Kyocera FS-3900DN KX            Windows NT x86           5.2.1108.0         Kyocera Mita Corporation          Bernini (local)            Type 3 - User Mode

Kyocera KM-C3225 KX  Windows x64    5.2.1108.0         Kyocera Mita Corporation          Bernini (local)    Type 3 - User Mode

Kyocera KM-C3225 KX  Windows NT x86           5.2.1108.0         Kyocera Mita Corporation          Bernini (local)    Type 3 - User Mode

Kyocera Mita FS-9120DN KX     Windows x64    5.2.1108.0         Kyocera Mita Corporation          Bernini (local)    Type 3 - User Mode

Kyocera Mita FS-9120DN KX     Windows NT x86           5.2.1108.0         Kyocera Mita Corporation          Bernini (local)            Type 3 - User Mode

Kyocera TASKalfa 400ci KX       Windows x64    5.2.1108.0         Kyocera Mita Corporation          Bernini (local)    Type 3 - User Mode

Kyocera TASKalfa 400ci KX       Windows NT x86           5.2.1108.0         Kyocera Mita Corporation          Bernini (local)            Type 3 - User Mode

LogMeIn Printer Driver   Windows x64    0.0.0.0              Bernini (local)    Type 3 - User Mode

Microsoft Office Live Meeting Document Writer Driver    Windows NT x86           0.0.0.0              Bernini (local)    Type 3 - User Mode

Microsoft Shared Fax Driver      Windows x64    6.0.6001.18000  Microsoft          Bernini (local)    Type 3 - User Mode

Microsoft XPS Document Writer            Windows x64    0.0.0.0  Microsoft          Bernini (local)    Type 3 - User Mode

Oce TDS600     Windows x64    1.18.0.0            Oce      Bernini (local)    Type 3 - User Mode

Oce TDS600     Windows NT x86           1.18.0.0            Oce      Bernini (local)    Type 3 - User Mode

Terminal Services Easy Print      Windows x64    6.0.6002.18005  Microsoft Terminal Services       Bernini (local)    Type 3 - User Mode

Xerox Global Print Driver PS      Windows x64    5152.1100.0.0    Xerox   Bernini (local)    Type 3 - User Mode

Xerox Global Print Driver PS      Windows NT x86           5079.1600.0.0    Xerox   Bernini (local)    Type 3 - User Mode

In addition, mnearly all of my workstations have PDF-Xchange 4.0 from Tracker software installed and some also have Adobe Acrobat 9.0+

I will try to apply the hotfix you posted (for Canon printers) on a couple of workstations to see if that improves the issue.

Thank you for your assistance with this issue.

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 12:51 PM
  • The hotfix made no difference
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 1:32 PM
  • Ciao Luca,

I wanted to follow up on your specific repro where in generated the script error.  Can you provide the exact repro steps you used when printing using Windows 7 client fax?  Are you printing to a FAX driver provided by the printer manufacturer?  That is, is this a fax printer driver icon that shows up in Devices and Printers?  More specifically, if you open up the 'Devices and Printers' section in windows 7, is the fax driver that is failing for IE9 showing up under the section 'Printers'? 

Also, can you provide me with the specific fax driver this is for? If I am correct and this is a fax driver for a specific printer, you should be able to provide me with the specific driver model it is for. 

Grazie mille

Dan Plaster [MSFT]

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 7:38 PM
  • Hi Dan,

So, I have a Windows 2008 R2 Datacenter edition with the FAX Role installed and configured.

It works well, it's configured for only send faxes through a U.S. Robotics 56K Fax external device.

So, each client is connected on \\<servername>\Fax and works fine.

But, after you install IE9 upgrade on windows 7 (32 and 64 bit), when you open a file and print on the fax printer, after you put the fax number, objects and message.... prior to send fax, ONLY IF YOU HAVE TYPED SOMETHING ON MESSAGE, you obtain this error:

An error has occurred in the script on this page.

Lune: 2107
    Char: 1
    Error:  Invalid procedure call or argument
    Code: 0
    URL: res://ieframe.dll/preview.js

Do you wan to continue running scripts on this page ?

Another strange thing is that, on Windows 7 64 bit....you can reduce at icon the fax (because it's blocked) and for the next fax it works fine. Instead, on Windows 7 32 bit, the first error block the client fax !!!

Please, have you some ideas ?

Thanks

Luca

Friday, May 13, 2011 10:41 AM
  • Hi,

I have the very same problem.

SBS 2008 environment.

SBS 2008 has the Fax Role configured and Windows Fax and Scan works on the server and the server can receive faxes.

On Windows 7 64bit clients, Windows Fax and Scan is configured to use the Fax Account \\<servername> where <servername> is the name of the SBS 2008 server.

When the clients that have IE9 installed try to send a fax, the script error stated in the post immediately above is displayed. After acknowledging the script error Fax and Scan freezes and has to be killed via task manager.

Removing IE9 solves the problem.

Neil

Friday, May 13, 2011 2:48 PM
  • Hi,

I have the same problem!

Thanks

Ivano

Monday, May 16, 2011 6:51 AM
  • I have the same Problem!

Client = Windows 7 Pro With IE9

Server = Windows Server 2003 R2

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 8:51 PM
  • I'm also having this problem running Windows Small Business Server 2003 and with Vista clients running IE9 & IE10.

My problem is limited to Windows Fax & Scan, sending faxes.

VERY annoying!

Friday, June 03, 2011 7:44 AM
  • I have this identical problem on 4 clients. Clients are nunning Windows 7 with Intenet Explorer 9.0 and the fax server is running on Server 2008. I can go to a workstation running Internet Explorer 8.0 and send a fax just fine. Then I update that workstation to IE 9.0 and attempt to send a fax again. I get the error:

An error has occurred in the script on this page.

Lune: 2107
    Error: Invalid procedure call or argument
    URL: res://ieframe.dll/preview.js

Do you want to continue running scripts on this page ?

Seems to me you have enough very simple straight forward definitions of this problem to troubleshoot it.

Tuesday, June 07, 2011 9:38 PM
  • Thank you to those that have reported a different issue with Fax Server and IE9. We are investigating this issue and will post back as soon as we can.

Regards

Mark

Tuesday, June 07, 2011 10:20 PM
  • Have all of your printer manufacturers confirmed that the installed printer software versions are supported in IE9 (yet)?

Printing webpages in Internet Explorer 9: FAQ
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Printing-webpages-in-Internet-Explorer-9-frequently-asked-questions

You cannot print or view the print preview of a webpage in IE9 (15 Apr-11)
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2409656

You cannot print or print preview webpages in Vista or Win7 (now with Fix Its!)

Compatibility issues with HP Smart Web Printing and IE8 & IE9
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2519416

Cannot print from IE9 using some Canon printers
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2522422

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft
    Wednesday, June 08, 2011 2:13 PM
  • I have the same Problem!

Client = Windows 7 Pro 64bit With IE9 

Server = Windows Server 2008 R2 64bit

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 8:22 PM
  • I have exactly the same problem!!

Client: Windows 7 pro 32 and 64bit with IE9

Server: SBS 2008 with Fax role

Fax: U.S. Robotics 56K Fax external device

Printer: CANON iR 2018

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 9:06 AM
  • Reposting:

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 3:56 PM
  • I have the same problem.

I am using Window 2008 R2 Fax role with Windows 7 SP1 clients.

When composing a new fax, I get the script error.

The error only happens when Internet Explorer 9 is installed.

Unfortunately, I am getting new systems with IE9 already installed and there is no way to downgrade to IE8 if the system comes with IE9 pre-installed.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 6:10 PM
  • I'm sorry - did MS say they have confirmed this to be an issue or is the answer still "uninstall our products to have other of our products work correctly"?

BTW - I am printing to a network fax server and am having this problem on Win7 x64 with IE9.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 9:22 PM
  • Having the same problem SOME websites print but this one we cannot get to print as an example (not the only one)

http://www.fourseasons.com/austin/rates_and_reservations/

Go there then select a room when it asks for your details for the reservation try to print that page and it goes into the spool and jams up all other jobs behind it.

This is to a Konicia 550 color printer and Toshiba estudio 281C

We have tried printing both direct from a laptop with driver installed directly and from a Windows 2008 32bit print server.

We know for a fact this is an IE9 problem because we printed the above page from IE8 with no problems then updated to IE9 with no other updates or changes and it fails to print on a Win7 64bit test VM.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 9:52 PM
  • Me too :(

SBS 2011 server with shared fax

When a client PC running win7 32 bit, with IE9 tries to send a fax I get the error message

Thursday, June 23, 2011 4:06 PM
  • I think someone hit the nail on the head.

Cannot fax to fax server (get the error).  But only when something is typed into the MESSAGE part of the fax.  If you only have a fax number, subject and attachment you do not get the error.  The key here is when you type something into the message body part.

Friday, June 24, 2011 7:35 PM
  • Me too :(

SBS 2011 server with shared fax

When a client PC running win7 32 bit, with IE9 tries to send a fax I get the error message

I am having the exact same error at multiple client sites.  All are using SBS faxing service.  After updating to IE9 they can no longer fax without getting the above error.  Any word on a fix for this yet?

Thanks,

Jason

• Proposed as answer by Zamage Thursday, June 30, 2011 12:33 AM
    Monday, June 27, 2011 4:10 PM
  • I have found a half fix for this....

when sending a fax... ONLY type in the following areas:

TO:

SUBJECT:

COVER PAGE NOTES:

DO NOT TYPE in the area below (The Body), else you will get the script error.

• Proposed as answer by Zamage Thursday, June 30, 2011 12:43 AM
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 12:42 AM
  •  

I've the same proble with fax service. My configuration is:

Windows 2008 Server R2 (server Fax) + IE9

Windows7 32 and 64 bit client (client fax) +IE9

No problem when send fax in my server.

The script error appear on a client machine.

The fix described by ZAMAGE work in a client machine, infact if no type any character on a body message fax send normally!!!

I hope microsoft fix that problem, because i think a bug of IE9 or other components.

Saturday, July 02, 2011 10:34 AM
  • Reposting...

Have your printer manufacturers confirmed that the installed printer software versions are supported in IE9 (yet)?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Printing-webpages-in-Internet-Explorer-9-frequently-asked-questions

Compatibility issues with HP Smart Web Printing and IE8 [& IE9]
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2519416

Sunday, July 03, 2011 11:16 PM
  • Hi Zamage,

Yes I found it during my test....but this is not a solution, this is a workaround.....My customer need all functionality and so also write on the object.

I also told to the customer about attach a file instead of type on the body field....but nothing.....we need the body field.

Sorry, the problem still exist

thanks for your support.

luca

Tuesday, July 05, 2011 10:35 AM
  • I can confirm the "workaround" mentioned above.  If you don't put anything in the body, the fax will send without any problems; if there's something in the body, you get the script issue mentioned above.  I'm also having this problem on Vista x64 SP2 with IE9
    Wednesday, July 06, 2011 5:25 PM
  • I can confirm that the ONLY thing that has worked other than uninstalling IE9 is to leave the body field blank.
    Wednesday, July 06, 2011 8:32 PM
  • Call me impatient, call me headstrong, but since this problem has languished here for 3 months with no answer but to check our printer drivers it doesn't appear that anyone is taking this seriously. The one incontrovertible fact is that the system works until we install ie9, and then the system is broken. It would not be difficult to set up a test running a trace with ie8, and then install ie9 and run the same test again. Further, I would think that the group responsible for the fax and scan code would be able to shake this out during coffee break. I would almost prefer a reply that stated "This isn't importent enough for us to bother with because only a few Users are affected" then to just have this drag on forever. Lets have a little action here!
    Friday, July 08, 2011 3:18 PM
  • Is there any response / fix for this?? IE9 now comes preinstalled  with win7 computers and rolling back to ie8 (my previous fix) no longer is an option as it states IE8 does not work for this version of win7? (should I uninstall SP1?)  Users of IE9 can print nothing from my entire intranet, and the web design doesn't work on firefox ... so i'm looking at a complete redesign of our intranet site and switching domain wide to firefox. I've tried 8 different printers, same javascript error pop up. I dont understand how this didn't come up in beta?

Friday, July 08, 2011 7:51 PM
  • I have same problem. Windows 7 Home Premium x64, IE 9 x64 and IE 9 x32. I can print a web page fine from IE 9 x32. With IE 9 x64 I cannot print and get usual error as described above in res://ieframe.dll/preview.js. If I run IE 9 x64 as administrator, works great, prints same as IE 9 x32. So it seems to be a permissions problem. I originally did a clean install of windows 7 on a blank drive. Any progress on this? Thanks.
    Monday, July 11, 2011 5:42 AM
  • it seems to be a permissions problem

Try using ProcMon to get more clues on that tack?

---

Monday, July 11, 2011 1:59 PM
  • With Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64 bit and IE9, I got the exact script error referenced.  Reverting back to IE8 allowed me to send a fax with an attachment only.  However, if I add a cover page or text, I get errors such as "The data is Invalid" (added text) and "A StartDocPrinter call was not issued" (cover page).  Tried reinstalling Windows Fax but it didn't change anything.  It sounds to me like the Windows Fax Console can only accept a TIFF image attachment at the beginning - trying to add a page such as a cover page by perhaps running it again through the Fax printer doesn't work.
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 12:17 PM
  • This has also happened to me.

I installed IE9 and subsequently I cannot send to FAX and SCAN in Windows 7.

I removed IE9, and everything worked again.

Installed IE9, just two days ago, again, and the same problem with a script error when printing to the FAX and SCAN.

What is going on that Microsoft cannot fix such a simple script error?

wdpatterson
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 4:54 PM
  •  

Hi..
    i ave te same problem on sending fax

My configuration

Pc: Windows7 32bit sp1 IE9

Server: windows 2008

have a solution??

Thursday, July 14, 2011 1:45 PM
  • Same problem here.

Windows 2008R2 Server With fax modem. You can send fax without porblems form the server.

Workstation: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. Sending a fax is only possible when you do not use body field :(

Is there no solution?

Sunday, July 31, 2011 11:40 AM
  • Same problem here.

Windows 2008R2 Server With fax modem. You can send fax without porblems form the server.

Workstation: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. Sending a fax is only possible when you do not use body field :(

Is there no solution?

Has your printer's manufacturer confirmed that your installed printer software version is supported in IE9 (yet)?

Compatibility issues with HP Smart Web Printing and IE8 (and IE9 - ignore title)
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969227

Sunday, July 31, 2011 3:30 PM
  • PA Bear,

None of the links that you are providing are relevant to this issue.  The issue that most are having on this thread is with Windows Fax and Scan on 64-bit Win7 systems with IE9 installed.  Microsoft has not provided a fix or an acceptable workaround for this issue yet, even though it has been a problem for at least 3 months.  Can you please let us know when an acceptable solution will be available? 

Monday, August 01, 2011 2:17 PM
  • With all due respect...

Printer manufacturers (e.g., HP; Epson; Canon) are responsible for making certain their software is IE9-compatible.

You chose to install IE9. If your printer software version is not supported in IE9 (yet), you can also choose to uninstall it & stick with your previous IE version.

• How do I uninstall IE9?
         http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/how-do-i-install-or-uninstall-internet-explorer-9

Note: Uninstalling IE9 will automatically restore IE8 on a Win7 computer or the previous IE version (i.e., IE8 or IE7) on a Vista computer.

====================================
    Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 9:50 PM
  • What do printers have to do with the fax and scan problem? I have many computers with no printers, and no printer drivers installed, that successfully send faxes using fax and scan with Internet Explorer 8.0 and fail with Internet Explorer 9.0. As near as I can tell it appears that the fax and scan program is attempting to generate a preview of the fax that is about to be sent. A preview on the display not the printer!!! So why do you reply to critchie05 as though he is reporting a printing problem which clearly he is not? You have posted this same inappropriate advice before, and (with all due respect) it has nothinbg to do with our fax and scan problem.
    Wednesday, August 03, 2011 11:50 AM
  • Hi all

This thread has morphed from one issue to another. Here's a recap:

Original post regarding many printers failing to work has been identified as an issue with a 3rd party print management & accounting software. We've asked the vendor concerned to take a look into this.

For the Fax Server issue: it's taken a while but we do have a reproduction of this in house now and are investigating the root cause. I will update as soon as I can.

General: The script error message being reported is a generic message. While the symptom experienced may be the same, the root cause may vary. Robear's pointers are good for issues aside from the two specific cases I've mentioned above.

Thanks and regards.

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 12:45 PM
  • Thank you Mark,

That is the best news and the most lucid explaination I have heard since this thread started. It will make waiting for a fix much easier because it is clear that you understand the situation and are taking action. We here in the trenches appreciate it!

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 3:12 PM
  • Please help us soon, we are all having exactly the same problem here with Windows Fax on Win7 32bit... HELP!!!
    Saturday, August 20, 2011 12:26 PM
  • I solved the printing problem by switching to Firefox.
    Saturday, August 20, 2011 5:54 PM
  • Just had exactly the same issue with a customer running Windows 7 Pro (32 bit) connecting to SBS 2003 fax service ...

Uninstalled IE9 (automatically reverts back to IE8) , and Fax service works perfectly (well as well as it ever did) ...

Scott

Offsite I.T Limited

http://www.offsite-it.co.uk

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 2:41 PM
  • Just wanted to add I ran into this problem today...

3 Windows 2008 R2 machines, one configured as fax server, other 2 configured at fax client. 

IE9 broke faxing for both clients and also the 3rd party software that interfaced with Windows Fax & Scan on the clients.

Had to uninstall IE9 on both clients to get things working again.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 3:57 PM
  • good morning

Same error 2008r2 Terminal/XenApp Servers. installed IE9 and problem starts

resetting IE explorer, register dll's and hotfixes dont help. Poeple cannot print from websites and GroupWise Mailboxes in html mode. i dont want to change mails in txt mode.

if there is no update, we will switch to firefox, sorry :-(

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 8:11 AM
  • In my case it has nothing to do with printer being ready for IE9.... with due respect

It works perfectly OK with Win7 Home Edition + IE9 but NOT with Win7 Pro + IE9

But now started using Firefox and its actually working just as well if not better than IE.

Thursday, August 25, 2011 9:04 PM
  • In my case it has nothing to do with printer being ready for IE9.... with due respect

It works perfectly OK with Win7 Home Edition + IE9 but NOT with Win7 Pro + IE9

But now started using Firefox and its actually working just as well if not better than IE.

Are their any updates or news to this as Ive just installed 8 new computers with windows 7 and ie 9 and the fax as stated above will not work with text in the body.

Thanks

• Edited by CJU200 Monday, September 19, 2011 7:08 PM
    Monday, September 19, 2011 7:06 PM
  • Well Mark it's been 2 more months with no activity. You said you were able to replicate the situation and were investigating the root cause. 2 MONTHS AND STILL NOTHING? How about a little status update?
    Saturday, October 01, 2011 11:43 AM
  • Hi all

This thread has morphed from one issue to another. Here's a recap:

Original post regarding many printers failing to work has been identified as an issue with a 3rd party print management & accounting software. We've asked the vendor concerned to take a look into this.

For the Fax Server issue: it's taken a while but we do have a reproduction of this in house now and are investigating the root cause. I will update as soon as I can.

General: The script error message being reported is a generic message. While the symptom experienced may be the same, the root cause may vary. Robear's pointers are good for issues aside from the two specific cases I've mentioned above.

Thanks and regards.

Hi Mark ... or any senior program manager (it has been a while since the last post!)

Of course I've also ran into this problem of not being able to send faxes with the Windows Fax and Scan utility in combination with SBS 2008 and Internet Explorer 9 ...

Of course this problem rose after updating to IE9 ...

Of course there is still no hotfix or patch to resolve this problem?

May we kindly ask to at least give a reply? A don't care one might just as well do ... at least we would know.

Regards.

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 7:19 PM
  • I also have this same issue.  Apparently IE9, just like every other web browser Microsoft has ever released, is still a steaming pile of crap.  Give it up Microsoft.  Your browsers suck and always will.  Why on earth should the web browser affect me trying to send a fax?  Good job, not only does your browser suck at browsing the web, it also breaks other parts of the operating system that shouldn't have anything to do with the web! There's also the issue I get that is caused by IE9 when trying to close management console applications sometimes--a popup saying all windows must be closed before I can close the snap-in or something like that.  

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 5:40 PM
  • Ni Notakie, NMCowboy et al.

Dvelopers have been assigned to identify possible fix(s) for this issue. Once they have a fix they want to implement they will commence test and then look for which release cycle to join. I will confirm once we've moved into test phase and once more when we have the release planned.

Regards

Mark.

• Proposed as answer by B00merS00ner Friday, October 07, 2011 7:56 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by B00merS00ner Friday, October 07, 2011 8:19 PM
    Wednesday, October 05, 2011 5:51 PM
  • All,

I've been troubleshooting this issue for a couple of hours and found this posting most useful.  Knowing that the problem is IE9 related I decided to install Firefox.  After rebooting the computer I got the same message until I opened Firefox and then I was able to send faxes out from a Windows 7 32-bit workstation to the shared fax on a SBS2008 server. 

You can set IE9 as the default browser and still send faxes out based on my tests.

Lastly, if you uninstall Firefox you will get the error message "res://ieframe.dll/preview.js" to come back when sending faxes.

I hope this helps some of you out!

Sincerely,
    Charles

p.s. - I tried this on another computer and it did not work. :(
    Friday, October 07, 2011 8:34 PM
  • We have the same problem with fax & ie9 here. 30 users on a newly installed SBS2011 are atm without a proper working fax-application - and guess who's phone is ringing ...  :-/

Btw: Is there a knowledgebase-article yet?

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 8:27 AM
  • This thread has morphed from printing problem to faxing problem, but I have the original printing issue raised by the OP.  My printers are Epson SX130 and Samsung CLP-325.  Both bought in the last 2 months, both claim to be Win 7 compatible.  One of your helpful (?) links suggests checking the printer is IE9 compatible - I've never seen a printer manufacturer claim compatibility with any browser, only with OS's.  Where can I find if either of these are IE9 compatible? 

As other posters have said I switch to Firefox to print anything. 

This thread has been open since April - 6 months! Is there any timescale for a fix or shall we wait for IE10?

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 5:46 PM
  • Hi there

i have the same issue with the Faxing  on a sbs 2008 environment.

Problem outline.

1) can not send faxes from Windows 7 64bit using IE9

2) when i dont type anything on the body field it works fine.

3) i can not uninstall IE9 as it was prebuilt in

This thread has been open since April - what is the  timescale for a fix.

Monday, October 24, 2011 11:52 AM
  • this has nothing NOTHING to do with printer manufacturer.  this is an issue that occurs when using the NATIVE Windows Fax and Scan application with IE9 installed.
    Monday, October 24, 2011 7:53 PM

I get this error across my domain as well, but it specifically affects us when using Windows Fax & Scan.  The ONLY WAY to fix this is to uninstall IE9.  Interestingly, I CAN send faxes without issue directly from the fax server, WITH IE9 installed, running 2008 R2.

(exactly the same set-up as the person above--all users are local admins, this occurs on ALL workstations, I just spent the afternoon combing through my Group Policy configuration as well, but to no avail)
    As of TODAY, this issue still remains.  The only workaround besides uninstalling IE9 is to leave the 'body' field of the fax blank.  This is NOT a solution or even a particularly viable workaround.  I fail to understand why this hasn't been addressed.
    Monday, October 24, 2011 7:58 PM
  • this has nothing NOTHING to do with printer manufacturer.  this is an issue that occurs when using the NATIVE Windows Fax and Scan application with IE9 installed.

@ Rachel

Someone else said that it doesn't happen with W7 "Home Edition"?   Only  W7 Pro?   I have W7 Home Premium X64 + IE9 and apparently I have Windows Fax & Scan installed (under Print & Document Services in Windows Features), though I have no such devices installed (except for virtual printers such as XPS Document Writer).   Someone else claimed though that a Preview feature of the software would be enough to demonstrate the symptom.   What would be the procedure to do a test to try to repro the symptom on my system?

I think that while you are waiting for a fix the only practical thing to do is look for a better workaround.   I would be willing to try to help do that, especially if I knew how to reproduce the symptom.

Alternatively if the problem cause really is a permissions problem, as one poster earlier asseerted, I would still say that running ProcMon would be the easiest way of discovering those details.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, October 24, 2011 9:40 PM
  • I have the same print problem. Windows 7 Ultimate SP1, 32 bit. Had windows 8 and 2 printers: Brother HL-2240 and EPSON CX5000 and both worked fine. My son decided to make us "cool" and upgraded to IE9. That is when the script error started. I am a microsoft employee (deanpa) and have been searching for a solution to this problem myself. I have tried a few of the items suggested but ran into other problems: When i uninstall IE9, it removes all versions of IE off my machine so i can't reach the internet. Good thing Windows Update automatically detects and fetches IE9 as an optional update so at least I can install it again using Windows UPdate, so i can get back online to try something else. I looked for IE8 to download it as well. I found some versions, but none said they were compatible with Win7. I downloaded one that was tagged as WinXP 32 bit. I uninstalled IE9, rebooted, tried to install IE8 and it failed with an error message stating that it wasn't compatible. Back to the drawing board of re-installing IE9 again.
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 2:33 PM
  • To continue on my post. When i turn on IE9 script debugging and try to print, I get this error in preview.js SCRIPT16389: preview.js, line 2053 character if (Printer.startDoc(this._aaRect[1][0].contentDocument.URL)) As it turns out, when i look at the variable: this._aaRect[1][0] it has no property called contentDocument so throws this exception. The stack history is this: res://ieframe.dll preview.dlg preview.js If you look at this entire function, line 2053 is the first time this property .contentDocument is actually required to contain a value because that line does not check whether or not the property is == null and just assumes it has a .URL property. function CPrintDoc_Print(fRecursionOK) { if (!this.ReadyToPrint()) { HandleError("Printing when not ready!", document.URL, "CPrintDoc::Print"); return; } var nCount = (Printer.usePrinterCopyCollate) ? 1 : Printer.copies; var nFrom; var nTo; ; if (fRecursionOK) { var fFrameset = (g_fHasBody && this._aaRect[1][0].contentDocument.body.tagName.toUpperCase() == "FRAMESET"); if (Printer.frameActive) { var n = parseInt(this._aaRect[1][0].contentDocument.documentElement.getAttribute('__IE_ActiveFrame')); if (n >= 0) { var oTargetFrame = (fFrameset) ? this._aaRect[1][0].contentDocument.getElementsByTagName("frame").item(n) : this._aaRect[1][0].contentDocument.getElementsByTagName("iframe").item(n); if (IsPersistedDoc() && (oTargetFrame.src == "res://IEFRAME.DLL/printnof.htm" || oTargetFrame.src == "about:blank")) { Printer.printNonNativeFrames(this._aaRect[1][0].contentDocument, true); } else { this.CreateSubDocument(oTargetFrame.src, true); this.PrintAllSubDocuments(true); } PrintDocumentComplete(); return; } } if (fFrameset) { if (!Printer.frameAsShown) { this.PrintAllSubDocuments(true); if (IsPersistedDoc()) { Printer.printNonNativeFrames(this._aaRect[1][0].contentDocument, false); } PrintDocumentComplete(); return; } else { Printer.printNonNativeFrames(this._aaRect[1][0].contentDocument, false); } } else { if (Printer.allLinkedDocuments) { this.BuildAllLinkedDocuments(); this.PrintAllSubDocuments(false); } } } if (Printer.printNonNative(this._aaRect[1][0].contentDocument) ) { g_fDelayClose = !g_fPreview; PrintDocumentComplete(); return; } if (Printer.selectedPages) { nFrom = Printer.pageFrom; nTo = Printer.pageTo; if (nFrom < 1) { nFrom = 1; } if (nTo > this.Pages()) { nTo = this.Pages(); } } else if ( Printer.currentPage && this._strDoc == DisplayDocument()) { nFrom = (this.Pages() >= g_nDispPage) ? g_nDispPage : this.Pages(); nTo = nFrom; } else { nFrom = 1; nTo = this.Pages(); } if (nTo < nFrom) { PrintDocumentComplete(); return; } ; ; ; if (Printer.startDoc(this._aaRect[1][0].contentDocument.URL)) { try { if (Printer.collate) { var fExtraPage = (Printer.duplex && ((nFrom - nTo) % 2 == 0)); var j; for (j = 0; j < nCount; j++) { for (i = nFrom; i <= nTo; i++) { Printer.printPage(this.Page(i).children[0]); } if (fExtraPage) { Printer.printBlankPage(); } } } else { var fDuplex = Printer.duplex; for (i = nFrom; i <= nTo; i++) { for (j = 0; j < nCount; j++) { Printer.printPage(this.Page(i).children[0]); if (fDuplex) { if (i < nTo) { Printer.printPage(this.Page(i+1)); } else { Printer.printBlankPage(); } } } if (fDuplex) { i++; } } } } catch(e) { HandleError( "Internal Error occured during printPage(). This could because of a GDI or D2D failure.", document.URL, "CPrintDoc_Print"); } Printer.stopDoc(); } PrintDocumentComplete(); }
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 3:34 PM
  • When i uninstall IE9, it removes all versions of IE off my machine so i can't reach the internet.

Usually that means that what was done is uncheck Internet Explorer in Windows Features.   IE9 is added as an update to Windows and must be removed as such.   When you do that you will find  Internet Explorer 8  in Windows Features, checked or unchecked, depending on how it was when you uninstalled the update.   BTW don't try to find IE9 referred to by an update.   It's called  Internet Explorer 9.  (I think.  I'm on W8 now and can't confirm this recollection.)

BTW if you don't have the problem symptom in W8 that would mean that there is a fix for your symptom in IE10.   ; )

HTH

Robert
    ---

Saturday, October 29, 2011 8:15 PM
  • I have similar problems printing from IE9. I can print to XPS Document Writer without any failure but not to a printer (I have a Samsung CLX-3180). Last night I ran some suggested updates from Windows Update and after that I have had these problems. When I try to print my XPS document I get this exception stack: System.Printing.PrintQueueException: PrintTicket provider failed to convert DEVMODE to PrintTicket. Win32 error: The parameter is incorrect. at MS.Internal.Printing.Configuration.PTProvider.ConvertDevModeToPrintTicket(Byte[] devMode, PrintTicketScope scope) at System.Printing.Interop.PrintTicketConverter.InternalConvertDevModeToPrintTicket(PTProvider provider, Byte[] devMode, PrintTicketScope scope) at System.Printing.PrintTicketManager.ConvertDevModeToPrintTicket(Byte[] devMode) at System.Printing.PrintQueue.get_UserPrintTicket() at System.Printing.PrintQueue.get_CurrentJobSettings() at System.Printing.PrintQueue.GatherDataFromPrintDialog(PrintDialog printDialog, XpsDocumentWriter& writer, PrintTicket& partialTrustPrintTicket, PrintQueue& partialTrustPrintQueue, Double& width, Double& height, String jobDescription) at System.Printing.PrintQueue.ShowPrintDialogEnablePageRange(XpsDocumentWriter& xpsDocumentWriter, PrintTicket& partialTrustPrintTicket, PrintQueue& partialTrustPrintQueue, Double& width, Double& height, PageRangeSelection& pageRangeSelection, PageRange& pageRange, String jobDescription) at System.Printing.PrintQueue.CreateXpsDocumentWriter(String jobDescription, PrintDocumentImageableArea& documentImageableArea, PageRangeSelection& pageRangeSelection, PageRange& pageRange) at MS.Internal.Documents.DocumentApplicationDocumentViewer.OnPrintCommandPageRangeOverride() at MS.Internal.Documents.DocumentApplicationDocumentViewer.OnPrintCommand() at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.DocumentViewerBase.ExecutedRoutedEventHandler(Object target, ExecutedRoutedEventArgs args) at System.Windows.Input.CommandBinding.OnExecuted(Object sender, ExecutedRoutedEventArgs e) at System.Windows.Input.CommandManager.ExecuteCommandBinding(Object sender, ExecutedRoutedEventArgs e, CommandBinding commandBinding) at System.Windows.Input.CommandManager.FindCommandBinding(CommandBindingCollection commandBindings, Object sender, RoutedEventArgs e, ICommand command, Boolean execute) at System.Windows.Input.CommandManager.FindCommandBinding(Object sender, RoutedEventArgs e, ICommand command, Boolean execute) at System.Windows.Input.CommandManager.OnExecuted(Object sender, ExecutedRoutedEventArgs e) at System.Windows.UIElement.OnExecutedThunk(Object sender, ExecutedRoutedEventArgs e) at System.Windows.Input.ExecutedRoutedEventArgs.InvokeEventHandler(Delegate genericHandler, Object target) at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Delegate handler, Object target) at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(Object target, RoutedEventArgs routedEventArgs) at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised) at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args) at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEvent(RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean trusted) at System.Windows.Input.RoutedCommand.ExecuteImpl(Object parameter, IInputElement target, Boolean userInitiated) at System.Windows.Input.RoutedCommand.ExecuteCore(Object parameter, IInputElement target, Boolean userInitiated) at System.Windows.Input.CommandManager.TranslateInput(IInputElement targetElement, InputEventArgs inputEventArgs) at System.Windows.UIElement.OnKeyDownThunk(Object sender, KeyEventArgs e) at System.Windows.Input.KeyEventArgs.InvokeEventHandler(Delegate genericHandler, Object genericTarget) at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Delegate handler, Object target) at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(Object target, RoutedEventArgs routedEventArgs) at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised) at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args) at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEvent(RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean trusted) at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessStagingArea() at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessInput(InputEventArgs input) at System.Windows.Input.InputProviderSite.ReportInput(InputReport inputReport) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndKeyboardInputProvider.ReportInput(IntPtr hwnd, InputMode mode, Int32 timestamp, RawKeyboardActions actions, Int32 scanCode, Boolean isExtendedKey, Boolean isSystemKey, Int32 virtualKey) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndKeyboardInputProvider.ProcessKeyAction(MSG& msg, Boolean& handled) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndKeyboardInputProvider.FilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 message, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.InputFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled) at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled) at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o) at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter) at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter, Delegate catchHandler) at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WrappedInvoke(Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter, Delegate catchHandler) at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.InvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter) at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Invoke(DispatcherPriority priority, Delegate method, Object arg) at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam) at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(MSG& msg) at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(DispatcherFrame frame) at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrame(DispatcherFrame frame) at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Run() at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(Object ignore) at System.Windows.Application.StartDispatcherInBrowser(Object unused) at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter) at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter, Delegate catchHandler) at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WrappedInvoke(Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter, Delegate catchHandler) at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl() at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeInSecurityContext(Object state) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state) at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke() at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue() at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled) at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled) at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o) at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter) at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter, Delegate catchHandler) at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WrappedInvoke(Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter, Delegate catchHandler) at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.InvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter) at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Invoke(DispatcherPriority priority, Delegate method, Object arg) at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam) ----------------------- XPSViewer.exe v3.0.6920.4000 built by: QFE - C:\Windows\System32\XPSViewer\XPSViewer.exe ntdll.dll v6.0.6001.18000 (longhorn_rtm.080118-1840) - C:\Windows\system32\ntdll.dll kernel32.dll v6.0.6001.18000 (longhorn_rtm.080118-1840) - C:\Windows\system32\kernel32.dll ADVAPI32.dll v6.0.6002.18005 (lh_sp2rtm.090410-1830) - C:\Windows\system32\ADVAPI32.dll RPCRT4.dll v6.0.6001.18000 (longhorn_rtm.080118-1840) - C:\Windows\system32\RPCRT4.dll MSVCR80.dll v8.00.50727.6195 - C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.6195_none_d09154e044272b9a\MSVCR80.dll msvcrt.dll v7.0.6002.18005 (lh_sp2rtm.090410-1830) - C:\Windows\system32\msvcrt.dll USER32.dll v6.0.6001.18000 (longhorn_rtm.080118-1840) - C:\Windows\system32\USER32.dll GDI32.dll v6.0.6002.18005 (lh_sp2rtm.090410-1830) - C:\Windows\system32\GDI32.dll ole32.dll v6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205) - C:\Windows\system32\ole32.dll OLEAUT32.dll v6.0.6002.18508 - C:\Windows\system32\OLEAUT32.dll mscoree.dll v4.0.31106.0 (Main.031106-0000) - C:\Windows\system32\mscoree.dll SHLWAPI.dll v6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205) - C:\Windows\system32\SHLWAPI.dll urlmon.dll v9.00.8112.16421 (WIN7_IE9_RTM.110308-0330) - C:\Windows\system32\urlmon.dll iertutil.dll v9.00.8112.16437 (WIN7_IE9_GDR.110831-1745) - C:\Windows\system32\iertutil.dll WININET.dll v9.00.8112.16421 (WIN7_IE9_RTM.110308-0330) - C:\Windows\system32\WININET.dll Normaliz.dll v6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205) - C:\Windows\system32\Normaliz.dll SHELL32.dll v6.0.6001.18000 (longhorn_rtm.080118-1840) - C:\Windows\system32\SHELL32.dll IMM32.DLL v6.0.6002.18005 (lh_sp2rtm.090410-1830) - C:\Windows\system32\IMM32.DLL MSCTF.dll v6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205) - C:\Windows\system32\MSCTF.dll LPK.DLL v6.0.6002.18051 (vistasp2_gdr.090615-0258) - C:\Windows\system32\LPK.DLL USP10.dll v1.0626.6002.18244 (vistasp2_gdr.100416-0345) - C:\Windows\system32\USP10.dll comctl32.dll v6.10 (longhorn_rtm.080118-1840) - C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.6002.18305_none_5cb72f2a088b0ed3\comctl32.dll uxtheme.dll v6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205) - C:\Windows\system32\uxtheme.dll ASOEHOOK.DLL v18.6.0.29 - C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON INTERNET SECURITY\ENGINE\18.6.0.29\ASOEHOOK.DLL MSVCR90.dll v9.00.30729.4148 - C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.4148_none_5090ab56bcba71c2\MSVCR90.dll MSVCP90.dll v9.00.30729.4148 - C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.4148_none_5090ab56bcba71c2\MSVCP90.dll tiptsf.dll v6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205) - C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ink\tiptsf.dll version.dll v6.0.6002.18005 (lh_sp2rtm.090410-1830) - C:\Windows\system32\version.dll CLBCatQ.DLL v2001.12.6931.18000 (longhorn_rtm.080118-1840) - C:\Windows\system32\CLBCatQ.DLL rsaenh.dll v6.0.6002.18005 (lh_sp2rtm.090410-1830) - C:\Windows\system32\rsaenh.dll ieproxy.dll v9.00.8112.16421 (WIN7_IE9_RTM.110308-0330) - C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\ieproxy.dll PresentationHostDLL.dll v3.0.6920.4000 built by: QFE - C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.0\WPF\PresentationHostDLL.dll PSAPI.DLL v6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205) - C:\Windows\system32\PSAPI.DLL ACTXPRXY.DLL v6.0.6001.18000 (longhorn_rtm.080118-1840) - C:\Windows\system32\ACTXPRXY.DLL SXS.DLL v6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205) - C:\Windows\system32\SXS.DLL PresentationHostProxy.dll v4.0.31106.0 built by: Main - C:\Windows\System32\PresentationHostProxy.dll oleacc.dll v7.0.6002.18508 (vistasp2_gdr.110825-0338) - C:\Windows\system32\oleacc.dll NTMARTA.DLL v6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205) - C:\Windows\system32\NTMARTA.DLL WLDAP32.dll v6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205) - C:\Windows\system32\WLDAP32.dll WS2_32.dll v6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205) - C:\Windows\system32\WS2_32.dll NSI.dll v6.0.6001.18000 (longhorn_rtm.080118-1840) - C:\Windows\system32\NSI.dll SAMLIB.dll v6.0.6002.18005 (lh_sp2rtm.090410-1830) - C:\Windows\system32\SAMLIB.dll Secur32.dll v6.0.6002.18051 (vistasp2_gdr.090615-0258) - C:\Windows\system32\Secur32.dll mscoreei.dll v4.0.30319.237 (RTMGDR.030319-2300) - C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\mscoreei.dll mscorwks.dll v2.0.50727.4216 (VistaSP2GDR.050727-4200) - C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\mscorwks.dll mscorlib.ni.dll v2.0.50727.4216 (VistaSP2GDR.050727-4200) - C:\Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_32\mscorlib\b6632a8b2f276a8e31f5b0f6b2006cd1\mscorlib.ni.dll System.ni.dll v2.0.50727.4215 (VistaSP2GDR.050727-4200) - C:\Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_32\System\f9c36ea806e77872dce891c77b68fac3\System.ni.dll WindowsBase.ni.dll v3.0.6920.4016 built by: VistaSP2GDR - C:\Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_32\WindowsBase\fd2c727bcef2e019eb96c1145f423701\WindowsBase.ni.dll PresentationCore.ni.dll v3.0.6920.4016 built by: VistaSP2GDR - C:\Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_32\PresentationCore\53f949f4664bb316f9b7a00d73a6e290\PresentationCore.ni.dll PresentationFramework.ni.dll v3.0.6920.4016 built by: VistaSP2GDR - C:\Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_32\PresentationFramewo#\94f892556ec9fa7a508fc9d214ceaedf\PresentationFramework.ni.dll wpfgfx_v0300.dll v3.0.6920.4000 built by: QFE - C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.0\WPF\wpfgfx_v0300.dll PresentationUI.ni.dll v3.0.6920.4000 built by: QFE - C:\Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_32\PresentationUI\30efb8cc2564a09e296fe28653ab377c\PresentationUI.ni.dll System.Xml.ni.dll v2.0.50727.4016 (NetFxQFE.050727-4000) - C:\Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_32\System.Xml\c1c06a392871267db27f7cbc40e1c4fb\System.Xml.ni.dll ReachFramework.ni.dll v3.0.6920.4000 built by: QFE - C:\Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_32\ReachFramework\afd2adfd3c5547a55b5cfddf362c6417\ReachFramework.ni.dll PresentationFramework.Aero.ni.dll v3.0.6920.4000 built by: QFE - C:\Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_32\PresentationFramewo#\231b0b42eff55de5c7d7debe555c16b7\PresentationFramework.Aero.ni.dll DWMAPI.dll v6.0.6001.18000 (longhorn_rtm.080118-1840) - C:\Windows\system32\DWMAPI.dll d3d9.dll v6.0.6002.18005 (lh_sp2rtm.090410-1830) - C:\Windows\system32\d3d9.dll d3d8thk.dll v6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205) - C:\Windows\system32\d3d8thk.dll nvd3dum.dll v7.15.11.6371 - C:\Windows\system32\nvd3dum.dll PenIMC.dll v3.0.6920.4000 built by: QFE - C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.0\WPF\PenIMC.dll tpcps.dll v6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205) - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Ink\tpcps.dll PresentationNative_v0300.dll v3.0.6920.4000 built by: QFE - C:\Windows\system32\PresentationNative_v0300.dll WINMM.dll v6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205) - C:\Windows\system32\WINMM.dll UIAutomationProvider.ni.dll v3.0.6920.4000 built by: QFE - C:\Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_32\UIAutomationProvider\5aab9bc687029a908fc01473f8e5f77b\UIAutomationProvider.ni.dll UIAutomationTypes.ni.dll v3.0.6920.4000 built by: QFE - C:\Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_32\UIAutomationTypes\8056d047225d4a9c2e4c6b096563d93d\UIAutomationTypes.ni.dll UIAutomationCore.dll v7.0.6002.18155 (vistasp2_gdr_win7ip_uia(wmbla).091008-1406) - C:\Windows\system32\UIAutomationCore.dll msctfui.dll v6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205) - C:\Windows\system32\msctfui.dll msdrm.dll v6.0.6001.18000 (longhorn_rtm.080118-1840) - C:\Windows\system32\msdrm.dll ATL.DLL v3.05.2284 - C:\Windows\system32\ATL.DLL SHFOLDER.dll v6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205) - C:\Windows\system32\SHFOLDER.dll System.Printing.ni.dll v3.0.6920.4000 built by: QFE - C:\Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_32\System.Printing\8400b1072cb176c6f5e62909bae1ac51\System.Printing.ni.dll System.Drawing.ni.dll v2.0.50727.4016 (NetFxQFE.050727-4000) - C:\Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_32\System.Drawing\367c4043efc2f32d843cb588b0dc97fc\System.Drawing.ni.dll prntvpt.dll v6.0.6001.18000 (longhorn_rtm.080118-1840) - C:\Windows\system32\prntvpt.dll WINSPOOL.DRV v6.0.6001.18000 (longhorn_rtm.080118-1840) - C:\Windows\system32\WINSPOOL.DRV comdlg32.dll v6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205) - C:\Windows\system32\comdlg32.dll WindowsCodecs.dll v7.0.6002.18107 (vistasp2_gdr_win7ip_dgt(wmbla).090924-1550) - C:\Windows\system32\WindowsCodecs.dll apphelp.dll v6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205) - C:\Windows\system32\apphelp.dll EhStorShell.dll v5.2.3790.1830 - C:\Windows\system32\EhStorShell.dll PROPSYS.dll v7.00.6002.18005 (lh_sp2rtm.090410-1830) - C:\Windows\system32\PROPSYS.dll GrooveShellExtensions.dll v12.0.6500.5000 - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveShellExtensions.dll GrooveUtil.DLL v12.0.6606.1000 - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveUtil.DLL CRYPT32.dll v6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205) - C:\Windows\system32\CRYPT32.dll MSASN1.dll v6.0.6002.18106 (vistasp2_gdr.090903-2340) - C:\Windows\system32\MSASN1.dll USERENV.dll v6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205) - C:\Windows\system32\USERENV.dll GrooveNew.DLL v12.0.6500.5000 - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveNew.DLL ATL80.DLL v8.00.50727.6195 - C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc80.atl_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.6195_none_d1cb102c435421de\ATL80.DLL MSImg32.dll v6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205) - C:\Windows\system32\MSImg32.dll cscui.dll v6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205) - C:\Windows\System32\cscui.dll CSCDLL.dll v6.0.6002.18005 (lh_sp2rtm.090410-1830) - C:\Windows\System32\CSCDLL.dll CSCAPI.dll v6.0.6002.18005 (lh_sp2rtm.090410-1830) - C:\Windows\System32\CSCAPI.dll BROWSEUI.dll v6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205) - C:\Windows\system32\BROWSEUI.dll DUser.dll v6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205) - C:\Windows\system32\DUser.dll thumbcache.dll v6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205) - C:\Windows\system32\thumbcache.dll SHDOCVW.dll v6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205) - C:\Windows\system32\SHDOCVW.dll ieframe.dll v9.00.8112.16421 (WIN7_IE9_RTM.110308-0330) - C:\Windows\system32\ieframe.dll sst2cdu.dll v(null) - C:\Windows\system32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\sst2cdu.dll msxml6.dll v6.20.5002.0 - C:\Windows\System32\msxml6.dll PRINTUI.dll v6.0.6001.18000 (longhorn_rtm.080118-1840) - C:\Windows\system32\PRINTUI.dll ACTIVEDS.dll v6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205) - C:\Windows\system32\ACTIVEDS.dll adsldpc.dll v6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205) - C:\Windows\system32\adsldpc.dll NETAPI32.dll v6.0.6002.18005 (lh_sp2rtm.090410-1830) - C:\Windows\system32\NETAPI32.dll credui.dll v6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205) - C:\Windows\system32\credui.dll CFGMGR32.dll v6.0.6001.18000 (longhorn_rtm.080118-1840) - C:\Windows\system32\CFGMGR32.dll setupapi.DLL v6.0.6001.18000 (longhorn_rtm.080118-1840) - C:\Windows\system32\setupapi.DLL MPR.dll v6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205) - C:\Windows\system32\MPR.dll puiapi.dll v6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205) - C:\Windows\system32\puiapi.dll WTSAPI32.dll v6.0.6001.18000 (longhorn_rtm.080118-1840) - C:\Windows\system32\WTSAPI32.dll slc.dll v6.0.6002.18005 (lh_sp2rtm.090410-1830) - C:\Windows\system32\slc.dll IPHLPAPI.DLL v6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205) - C:\Windows\system32\IPHLPAPI.DLL dhcpcsvc.DLL v6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205) - C:\Windows\system32\dhcpcsvc.DLL DNSAPI.dll v6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205) - C:\Windows\system32\DNSAPI.dll WINNSI.DLL v6.0.6001.18000 (longhorn_rtm.080118-1840) - C:\Windows\system32\WINNSI.DLL dhcpcsvc6.DLL v6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205) - C:\Windows\system32\dhcpcsvc6.DLL WINTRUST.dll v6.0.6002.18169 (vistasp2_gdr.091222-2238) - C:\Windows\system32\WINTRUST.dll imagehlp.dll v6.0.6001.18000 (longhorn_rtm.080118-1840) - C:\Windows\system32\imagehlp.dll cscobj.dll v6.0.6002.18005 (lh_sp2rtm.090410-1830) - C:\Windows\System32\cscobj.dll diasymreader.dll v8.0.50727.4016 (NetFxQFE.050727-4000) - C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\diasymreader.dll
    System Architect
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 10:50 PM

Dvelopers have been assigned to identify possible fix(s) for this issue. Once they have a fix they want to implement they will commence test and then look for which release cycle to join. I will confirm once we've moved into test phase and once more when we have the release planned.

Regards

Mark.

I'd like to make an official request for a KnowledgeBase article to be written about this issue, so that there's at least formalized documentation that this problem exists. Currently, there's nothing out there, other than this thread to indicate that this is a recognized problem/bug/issue/etc. Thank you.
    • Edited by ahinson Friday, November 11, 2011 3:10 AM
    Friday, November 11, 2011 3:07 AM
  • Outside of the general guidance of ensuring print drivers are up to date, we have a KB published for general print issues with the script error symptom. You can find it here:

For the specific issue of not being able to print from Windows Fax and Scan, a KB is in progress and we are also planning a Hotfix. The issue has been identified with the XPS print path in Windows 7.

Thanks and regards

Mark.

Friday, November 11, 2011 12:46 PM
  • Outside of the general guidance of ensuring print drivers are up to date, we have a KB published for general print issues with the script error symptom. You can find it here:

For the specific issue of not being able to print from Windows Fax and Scan, a KB is in progress and we are also planning a Hotfix. The issue has been identified with the XPS print path in Windows 7.

Thanks and regards

Mark.

Mark,

Thank you for the quick response.  I look forward to the KB article and the impending hotfix. 

Saturday, November 12, 2011 3:05 AM
  • Hi

The following KB details the specific issue with using Windows Fax and Scan on a PC with Internet Explorer 9. We have provided the workaround discussed in this thread of not adding text to the Fax body until we can deliver the Hotfix.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2629557

Regards

Mark

Monday, November 14, 2011 12:29 PM
  • Contrary to the KB articule, specifying a cover page and typing text in the Cover Page Notes section on my system yields:

The message could not be sent.  A StartDocPrinter call was not issued.

I can send a fax only when a cover page is not specified and there is no text in the body of the message.  Furthermore, I cannot print a fax to any printer from the Windows Fax and Scan console yielding an error about a missing file which I suspect is the cause behind all of this.

• Edited by JohnA5 Monday, November 14, 2011 12:57 PM
    Monday, November 14, 2011 12:56 PM
  • You can uninstall IE9, it's ALWAYS an add on.

Can you guys email me at susan-at-msmvps.com as the SBS folks would like some exact repros?

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 8:05 PM
  • I cannot print a fax to any printer from the Windows Fax and Scan console yielding an error about a missing file which I suspect is the cause behind all of this.

Try using ProcMon to test that guess?

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 2:02 AM
  • The KB:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2629557 is NOT a solution to the problems with printing from IE9 or XPSWriter.

Are Microsoft working on the issue or is the workaround to use Mozilla Firefox?

System Architect
    Thursday, November 24, 2011 10:13 PM
  • The KB:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2629557 is NOT a solution to the problems with printing from IE9 or XPSWriter.

@ stojasv

Does that mean you have tested the hotfix?

Otherwise my offer to Rachel extends to you too.   I could test on either W7 or W8.

Susan would probably like to see your repro procedure too.   ; )

HTH

Robert
    ---

Friday, November 25, 2011 2:50 AM
  • The hotfix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2629557 is a workaround for the specific problem with Windows Scan and Fax. I have a general problem with printing to my Samsung printer from IE9. Printing to pdf or OneNote works fine and from those applications I can print. But I found this way of working everything but smooth, so I downloaded and installed FireFox which works fine. I do no longer need to use IE 9 and therefore  this it is not a problem for me any more.

Thank you Robert

System Architect
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 10:52 PM
  • It's not a hotfix. It's a workaround. In a nutshell, leave the "Body" of the fax blank. Filling in the To, Subject, and Cover Page Notes fields is okay, though. Overall, Microsoft's support of faxing has been pathetic since the release of Vista and Windows Server 2008, especially on the 64-bit side...
    Wednesday, December 07, 2011 6:59 PM
  • Not if it's preinstalled by the OEM (Dell). There is no upgrade or installation for IE9 in a bunch of new Win7-64 PC's we just received. Was forced to uninstall and install Firefox until Microsoft comes up with a fix.
    Friday, December 09, 2011 5:45 PM

Regards

Mark.

It's been two months since the developers have been assigned. Any news on this yet? Having to switch users to Firefox has not been the most positive answer, but in some cases I've had no other choice. The KB hasn't had any updates either.

I guess it's a low priority when your phone isn't ringing with end user complaints about the problem.

Friday, December 09, 2011 5:53 PM
  • http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2579295

try the script on that page to uninstall IE9.  Even on slip installed OEMs, that command should work to uninstall IE9, try it and let me know if it does not.

Are you having issues faxing or printing?

and "If you want to contact me via ie9pq@microsoft.com we can dicuss this further"

Email that alias

Friday, December 09, 2011 5:56 PM
  • Thanks Susan! That was the ticket. I just decided to try the fix-it, reboot and it reenabled IE8.

Much Appreciated. Now I will test the fax and see if it doesn't error anymore on my test system.

-Rob H. (RH434)

Friday, December 09, 2011 9:14 PM
  • Update December 13th 2011 The Windows Team have created the Hotfix and it is now undergoing testing. While the hotfix is in test I can't give a definitive date to release in case we have to make changes. However, If all goes accordingly I would not expect to have to wait past January, again barring any unforeseen issues arising inbetween. Please note we have focused on Windows 7 for this Hotfix. Windows Vista has not seen a high frequency of reporting, although we do expect to offer a Hotfix for that as well. Regards Mark
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 1:11 PM
  • Update December 13th 2011 The Windows Team have created the Hotfix and it is now undergoing testing. While the hotfix is in test I can't give a definitive date to release in case we have to make changes. However, If all goes accordingly I would not expect to have to wait past January, again barring any unforeseen issues arising inbetween. Please note we have focused on Windows 7 for this Hotfix. Windows Vista has not seen a high frequency of reporting, although we do expect to offer a Hotfix for that as well. Regards Mark
    An UPDATE about the progress would be nice :)
    bARt
    Monday, December 19, 2011 12:56 PM
  • Has anyone unchecked the "Enable protectecd Mode" checkbox in the security tab? It seemed to work for me. Granted, it reduces the security of the browser, but curious if this might be an easier workaround for now. I have a new Kyocera printer that would give the scripting error when printing out of IE 9 on Win 7 32-bit. I didn't want to uninstall IE 9 off the client's machine and I didn't feel like installing Firefox, so I started to look at various scripting options and such after reading all the posts in this forum. As a domain admin, I could print no problem after confirming a popup about unsigned active-x or somesuch (forgot exactly what was unsigned). But the page would print as admin. Whenever I had a restricted, domain user print on this machine, it would give me the popup for the unsigned app and then the scripting error mentioned in this forum would pop up right after. However nothing would print, and my spooler would stop. I'd have to restart the spooler as admin or reboot. Sorry, I don't use the fax "printer" that many others here do, but I figured I'd throw this into the mix as something that worked for me.
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 10:07 PM
  • Hi All - A Hotfix for the Windows Fax and Scan has now been released for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Operating Systems. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2647169

Look forward to hearing how this works out for those that have reported this issue and assuming it works I'll lock this thread.

**If you're experiencing some other kind of printing issue with Internet Explorer 9, please do look at the general guidance provided, other threads and finally open a new thread if you cannot find a resolution**

Regards

Mark

• Proposed as answer by Stefanoud70 Wednesday, January 11, 2012 3:21 PM
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 2:46 PM
  • OK IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 3:23 PM
  • Unfortunately, it did not work for me... I am getting the same error I reported here on Nov 14th:

The message could not be sent. A StartDocPrinter call was not issued.

I can send a fax only when a cover page is not specified and there is no text in the body of the message. Furthermore, I cannot print a fax to any printer from the Windows Fax and Scan console yielding an error about a missing file which I suspect is the cause behind all of this.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 3:36 PM
  • WORKED FOR ME!!!! After hours of searching for a solution I happen to come across this just 4 1/2 hours after Mark's post. Thanks.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 7:32 PM
  • Thank you Mark, The fix works on both x86 and x64 versions of Windows. Great work, and it only took 9 months almost to the day (something ironic about that) to produce this huge, complicated, hotfix. Thanks to your and all the project teams that worked so hard to bring this to a successful conclusion. You are to be congratulated.
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 9:32 PM
  • Thank you Mark !!! I will try it as soon as possible.

luca

Thursday, January 12, 2012 11:26 AM
  • Didn't work for me (Win7/x64). Then found from another site: Disconnected my Samsung USB-cable. Removed printer from "Devices and Printers". Connected USB, it installed automatically drivers and printing works now!
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 3:07 PM
  • I found out that the reason I couldn't print a fax (to any printer) is because TIF files had Microsoft Photo Viewer as the default program.  Setting the default to Paint solved the problem.  So I can now do the following:

1) Send a fax from an application like Word or Notepad (this is not new, could always do that)

2) Print an existing fax from the Microsoft Fax and Scan Center (fixed by the file association)

However, I still cannot originate a Fax from the MFSC (hot fix installed) with text involved - the only way it can be sent is what a TIFF attachment only - doing so with text (cover page or body) yields script errors like what was said in the hotfix only more specifically, the error is the StartDocPrinter call was not issued.

To all of those who had the problem fixed with the hotfix, are you originating your fax from the MFSC  with text or just from an application?

Thursday, January 12, 2012 4:48 PM
  • what works? Can you print to a pdf form IE9 without getting a script error? Not talking about faxing.
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 11:38 PM
  • I agree - saying "it works" isn't very helpful. My issues are with printing to pdf's. Hard to believe this isn't fixed and Microsoft can't respond any slower.
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 11:53 PM
  • What about the SAME preview.js script error THAT only happens from IE9? I am not trying to print a tiff or send a fax.
    Friday, January 13, 2012 12:43 AM
  • The hotfix solved it on my workstation too.

Monday, January 16, 2012 9:43 PM
  • Fixed what? Faxing or printing to pdf's?
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 6:05 PM
  • what works? faxing? printing?
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 6:08 PM
  • THIS DID NOTHING FOR PRINTING FROM IE9 on any of the machines I have issues. IT IS NOT ABOUT CANON PRINTERSOR FAXING! When is Microsoft REALLY going to fix this? RUNNING IN ADMIN mode is not SAFE!
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 6:10 PM
  • Yelling in all caps doesn't help you know.  

What version of Adobe or pdf renderer?  What other tool bars and add ins do you have?  Can you disable others and try it?

I don't have a problem here so it may be something with your setup.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 9:21 PM
  • You receive a script error and are unable to print from Internet Explorer 9: 
    See that.  I'd check what version of pdf printer you have.
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 6:25 AM
  • Thanks for your time but what you are offering is not help. With IE8 all is well - with IE9 it's not. FIX IE9! Script error in preview.js. LOOK on the internet MANY others have same errors. Using RUNAS administrator is a dangerous fix!
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 10:49 PM
  • been there done that. waste of time. IE9 is broke!
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 10:51 PM
  • How do we get Microsoft to fix thei preview.js script error that only happens printing to pdf from IE9? wait for IE10? Sigh
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 10:55 PM
  • I'm offering help.  I'm asking what pdf driver are you using.  I know it works here with Adobe acrobat 9 (not X mind you) and IE 9 without a script, so let's try to narrow down what is the cause.

I'm here right now, trying to help you specifically.

I'm not seeing it on my computer, nor is it 100% occuring all over othe place so let's get back to my questions 

What pdf printer driver are you using?

Thursday, January 19, 2012 10:56 PM
  • We get Microsoft to fix it by getting a solid repro set up.

So for me to be able to help you, to then help Microsoft get a fix, I need to see if I can repro your issue.

What pdf printer are you using.  If I can repro this, we can get a fix, so again, please, tell me what pdf printer driver you are using please?

Thursday, January 19, 2012 11:02 PM
  • JohnnyJetMan?  Can you post up your pdf driver please?
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 6:14 PM
  • What works, what the subject of this thread says "Printing in IE 9" works now. Out of curiosity installed "BullzipPDFPrinter" driver. Printed this thread to PDF-file, 28 pages and a lot of time but no problems. Win7Prof/x64.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 9:05 PM
  • Yes - most of issues with this one - Amyuni Doc Converter 3.00 from an app called efile cabinet while in IE9. Does not happen in IE8. If IE9 is in "runas" admin works ok but too dangerous. get this if try to just send to pdf printer An error has occurred in the script on this page - Line: 2107 Char: 1 Error: Your file waiting to be printed was deleted. URL: res://ieframe.dll/preview.js if try to print from print preview get this [even though preview looks fine] - There was an internal error, and Internet Explorer is unable to print this document. [my only choice is ok - please add "NOT OK!" to next version of IE]
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 2:36 PM
  • Desktop version or Online version?  And any particular version of Efile Cabinet?
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 3:07 PM
  • desktop amyuni I assume - hoew do I tell? efile cabinet is version 4
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 6:51 PM
  • desktop amyuni I assume - how do I tell? efile cabinet is version 4
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 6:51 PM
  • Do you know if that's a current version (seeing if I can get a trial), or when you purchased it?
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 7:04 PM
  • Do you have Quickbooks installed as well by any chance?

http://www.efilecabinet.com/4trainvideos/flash/02%20printing/02%20printing.htm

You aren't using the efile printer but the amyuni pdf printer?

Thursday, January 26, 2012 7:27 PM
  • The hotfix works for me on win 7 x64! I can now preview/send faxes with text in the main window.

Thanks!

Friday, January 27, 2012 9:02 AM
  • yes we have a lot of version of Quickbooks installed. The setup for efile did not install any other printer besieds the amyuni. Thanks for trying to help!
    Friday, January 27, 2012 12:17 PM
  • They are using the efile printer which uses that amyuni driver and works from everything BUT ie9 unless they are in admin mode! What does Quickbooks have to do with this?
    Friday, January 27, 2012 12:29 PM
  • Because everything I'm reading on the efile site says that there should be an efile printer, not an amyuni printer.  In my experience the amyuni printer gets installed via Quickbooks.  What version (year) of Quickbooks?  The amyuni pdf printer driver is notoriously buggy (and bad) and doesn't behave well with limited user rights.  What we suggest instead of the amyuni pdf printer driver is the cutepdf printer driver instead.

Is there any way you can try this process with the cutepdf pdf printer driver instead?

Sunday, January 29, 2012 11:48 PM
  • The amyuni driver is the one it installed and uses and works ok with ANYTHING else but IE9 with "limited rights". Only thing I found is to upgrade to verison 4 of driver which is windows 7 compatible. Thanks for trying to help.
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 1:31 PM
  • If it's an older amyuni driver, they don't work well with limited rights.  If it doesn't work with the v4, I'd still recommend the cutepdf.
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 3:14 PM
  • yes I know- but its what they need to send files from the web [usually IRS] to the file cabinet. Cutepdf does not work with their software as far as I know but will test today. I am now convinced that I was right from the begiinning and they need efile to provide a real fix. What bothers me is that from IE8 on Windows 7 limited rights for this amyuni driver is NOT AN ISSUE! How do you explain that? THAT is Microsoft's issue in IE9! Too bad Microsoft does not own everybody or maybe it is. Thanks for your time but nothing is resolved.
    Thursday, February 02, 2012 12:03 PM
  • IE9 has a better stronger sandboxing of the browser from the OS.  They made it so that it's more resistent to attack.  Then people that code have to make changes as well.  

You know how in Firefox and Chrome they do updates and plug ins have to be updated to workproperly?  Same concept.

I was hoping to see if I could download a trial of efile cabinet but they only offer a trial of the online version.  Apologies for not being able to help better.  

Does efile have any support forums or other support venues?  

Thursday, February 02, 2012 4:23 PM
  • Tried amyuni 4.0 - no different - its ie9. BUT I have to live with keeping IE9 so we are hoping next version of efilecabinet will fix this. By the way their tech support claimed at first to never heard of it [script error] - then said runas admin - now say upgrade to latest version and "we should hasve no issues". I can hope.
    Thursday, February 02, 2012 7:18 PM
  • Internet Explorer Webpage Print Problem

Windows 7x64 bit IE9x64bit Error Message:

An error has occurred in the script on this page. Line 2107 Char 1

Error Unspecified          Code 0             URL res://ieframe.dll/preview.js

IE9x32bit does not give this error.

IE 9 x 64 bit requires “Run As Administrator” to print webpages.

Start/ All Programs/ Internet Explorer x64 bit/ Right Click the program icon/ Properties/ Advanced/ Check “Run As Administrator”/
    Apply. 
    If there is an icon on the desktop, it also needs the same change.

The Dell Tech said that IE9x32 and IE9x64 are both good browsers.  Most websites are formatted to run x32bit version so there’s no big advantage to IE9x64bit.  If you use IE9x32 bit, the print webpages works correctly.

Thursday, February 09, 2012 3:38 AM
  • not in today's world - giving web sites admin privelges to install rogue software is a place I don't want to go. Dell won't have to fix the pc's corrupted this way. NOT A REAL SOLUTION!
    Saturday, February 11, 2012 7:19 PM
  • Are you using IE 64bit or IE 32 bit?

I don't use IE64 bit as applications are not ready yet for IE 64bit.

The solution here is to not try to use IE64 bit with older applications until they are ready for it.

Saturday, February 11, 2012 7:24 PM
  • My Fix for Script Errors when trying to print from IE9 Web Pages<o:p></o:p>

My OS is Windows 7 64bit, when I down loaded Internet Explorer 9 I ended up with two versions.<o:p></o:p>

First Version under “Help” drop down window references (64 bit)<o:p></o:p>

Second Version under “Help” drop down window references (Cipher Strength: 256-bit)<o:p></o:p>

The First Version gave me Script Errors when trying to print from IE9 web pages. The second worked fine!<o:p></o:p>

Click On – Start<o:p></o:p>

Select – All Programs<o:p></o:p>

Find Internet Explorer on the pull down menu, you should see two. The First references (64 bit) and the Second just says Internet Explorer.<o:p></o:p>

Select the one that just says Internet Explorer, once IE9 has loaded go to Help and verify it references Cipher Strength: 256-bit. Then try to print a web page.<o:p></o:p>

Hope this Helps You!<o:p></o:p>

Sunday, February 12, 2012 7:43 PM
  • My Fix for Script Errors when trying to print from IE9 Web Pages

Script Error: Line 2107    Char 1    Error Unspecified error    Code 0  
    URL Res://ieframe.dll/preview.js 

My OS is Windows 7 64bit, when I down loaded Internet Explorer 9 I ended up with two
    versions.

First Version under “Help” drop down window references (64 bit)

Second Version under “Help” drop down window references (Cipher Strength: 256-bit)

The First Version gave me Script Errors when trying to print from IE9 web pages. The
    second worked fine!

Click On – Start

Select – All Programs

Find Internet Explorer on the pull down menu, you should see two. The First
    references (64 bit) and the Second just says Internet Explorer.

Select the one that just says Internet Explorer, once IE9 has loaded go to Help and verify
    it references Cipher Strength: 256-bit. Then try to print a web page.

Hope this Helps You!

• Proposed as answer by SebFR Monday, February 13, 2012 3:02 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by SebFR Monday, February 13, 2012 3:02 PM
    Sunday, February 12, 2012 7:51 PM
  • Doesn't work for me for Windows 2008R2 Foudation and Win7 Pro client, here the message I have when I try to send a Fax:

Line: 1191

someone have an idea ?

Monday, February 13, 2012 3:02 PM
  •  

SOLVED!

The root of everyone’s problem is not Windows 7 Fax or Windows Live Mail, the problem is Internet Explorer 9… rather I should say the way that Windows 7 operates with Internet Explorer 9! When you send a fax or try to print an email in Windows Live Mail, those programs send all their information through Internet Explorer 9 then to the printer:

WLM > IE9 > Printer
    Windows Fax > IE9 > Printer

Therefore the root of the problem is with Internet Explorer 9!

Before I reveal the secret as to why Internet Explorer 9 does not print anything let me preface my answer by saying that I work in a small business. We all have Dell computers and for every computer we paid extra for 3-year 24 / 7 American tech support. No speaking to someone in a foreign country. This American tech support knew the problem immediately and it was solved in less than 5 minutes.

Internet Explorer 9 is not an actual program. Internet Explorer 9 is actually Internet Explorer 8 with a fancy face-lift. A classic example of fixing something that did not need to be fixed!

We bought a new Dell with Windows 7 64-Bit and sure enough… IE 9, Windows Live Mail, Windows Fax and IE 9 itself would not print anything. However every other program would print perfectly fine. So what we did was:

1. In Windows 7 turn off all automatic updates. Don’t set them to manual, turn them OFF to fix this problem

2. In Windows 7 go to your control panel and go to where you “Uninstall a Program”

3. This will bring up the list of programs you installed. On the far left side of the windows is a tab called “View Installed Updates“. Click on this.

4. A new lengthy list of stuff will begin to appear. Scroll towards the bottom and find “Windows Internet Explorer 9”. Be aware that by uninstalling IE9 you are not actually removing Internet Explorer, you are actually removing all the fancy face-lifts and reverting the computer back to Internet Explorer 8.

5. After going through the lovely “Are you sure you want to” warning by Microsoft click yes.

6. Here is the fun part… after you revert back to IE8 and after you turn on automatic updates again, your Windows 7 computer will want to download an automatic update to install IE9. Be sure to set your automatic updates to manual.

7. Once set to manual Windows 7 let’s you can choose which automatic updates you want to install. Simply never update that one pertaining to Internet Explorer 9. All the other updates have been fine so far. I simply ignore my computer asking me to Install IE 9.

8. Working in an office we have your computers run 24 / 7. If you ever have to re-start your computer you might accidentally install the automatic update. When you turn your computer back on and if this problem happens again simply remove IE 9 all over again. The Dell tech support guy made me do this as a test and sure enough, when I removed IE 9 a 2<sup>nd</sup> time suddenly the computer was able to print again. YAY!

9. I spent about 4 hours looking up this problem and Microsoft’s own tech support web page went into lengthy troubleshooting techniques that never solved the problem for me.
    Monday, February 13, 2012 5:43 PM
  • Uh, dude, you just uninstalled IE9, that's not solving the problem of faxing with IE9.  Did you try the hotfix discussed earlier in this thread?
    Monday, February 13, 2012 5:48 PM
  • For me I try the hotfix, nothing change, i try on one computer without reboot it doesn't work and on another with reboot after hotfix instal, it doesn't work too :(
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 10:12 AM
  • I too, am continuing to have the printing problem on my Canon ML-1660 laser printer on IE9 version 9.0.8112.16421, with update versions 9.0.5 KB 2647516)

Yes, I have all the updates fitted and have checked that the Canon Hot fix is installed.

Its nonsense that I have to open Google Chrome to print a web page!

Why is it taking so long to solve what should be a simple process of printing a web page? a fundamental basic of IE development?

Whilst you may have sold the fax printing issue, the printing of web pages still seems unsolved.

Whats the next move Microsoft?

Monday, February 20, 2012 10:31 AM
  • I also have this problem on a number of new Dell W7 SP1 running IE9 PCs.  Users cannot print webpages unless they have right-clicked and chosen run as administrator.  This is a very long running issue - I hope that this is still being investigated by MS Support.  This is the original problem of the post (not the faxing issue which was added by a commentor).

IE9 is a good product - let's not suggest installing extra browsers to fix one function.  This is not an option in a corporate environment.

Monday, February 20, 2012 12:17 PM
  • @Warkman UK and mtechnical UK

This thread has meandered quite a bit. I gave a recap in one of the above comments. To update:

The orginal issue was closed - the company concerned had a 3rd party print/asset management software package routing the print jobs that was not compatible. The secondary issue emerged here with Windows Fax and Scan and has been resolved.

I'd also ensure that it's not an add-on causing interference (run iexplore -extoff to disable add-ons and check).

I'll continue to keep the thread open as I am still keen to listen for anything new.

Thanks and regards...

Monday, February 20, 2012 1:53 PM
  • IE 9 prints fine in my office.  What specific application are you having this problem with?

If the underlying issue is some application unique to your environment, you may need to go back to the vendor of the product as the fix may have to come from them, not from Microsoft.

Monday, February 20, 2012 4:24 PM
  • IE 9 prints fine in my office.

Have you tried doing any Landscape orientation printing with very long lines, Susan?   I think that there may have been a regression of an IE8 patch (or more quirks added trying to integrate the patch) in IE9.   However, I only have a GDR versions of IE9 modules and can't say whether there is still a fix for that issue or not.

C.f.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie9-windows_vista/when-i-print-landscape-in-internet-explorer-9/8c0a68de-2fd6-42c5-8683-d76c93e19930?page=2&tm=1329461819806

---

Monday, February 20, 2012 7:30 PM
  • Thanks Mark.  The following enables the printing without having to right-click and run as administrator:

Try printing a webpage after disabling Protected Mode, to do this, follow these steps:
    1. Click the Tools icon in Internet Explorer
    2. Click the Security tab and uncheck the checkbox beside Enable Protected Mode (requires restarting Internet Explorer)
    3. Click Apply , and then click OK.
    4. Close all open Internet Explorer windows, and then restart Internet Explorer.
    5. Browse to a website and try test printing a page while running as the Administrator.

Running iexplore -extoff made no difference.

Regards

Daniel.

Monday, February 20, 2012 8:57 PM
  • nothing here works - when is Microsoft actually going ot fix this? Dell and techs at "small businesses" haven't got a clue telling us to install ie9 [even if they think they aren't] or UNSECURELY running ie9 as admin [real dangerous]. Does MS have any one who really reads these forums and tries to help?
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 1:51 AM
  • Johnny when last you posted you said that efile cabinent will be coming out with an update?  When is that?

It sounds to me that your vendor knows what the issue is already and they need to fix the code on their side.  I know that sounds like vendor fingerpointing, but if you have a specific issue with a specific application, your best bet is to go back to that vendor and ensure they know there is an issue.  They can then work the best with Microsoft ask they can speak coder to coder.

Microsoft cannot come up with a fix without a repro.  If they are not running your software (and they are not) they cannot fix what they cannot understand.  Nothing here may work until your vendor comes up with the fix.

If you've tried a printer driver and that doesn't work, then you need to go back to the vendor as it's something specific in their application.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 2:07 AM
  • Legal, letter, and 11x17.  No problems.
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 2:09 AM
  • Hi Mark,

You write:

>> The secondary issue emerged here with Windows Fax and Scan and has been resolved.

Not for everyone - I still cannot submit a fax from Windows Fax and Scan with a cover page or imbedded text even with the hotfix.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 6:52 AM
  • That's a different error message.  Can you do a sfc /scannow as that points to missing files.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 6:59 AM
  • sfc never did show any problems...

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

C:\Windows\system32>

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 8:08 AM
  • Can't do that now they are in middle of tax season [accounting firm].  Sounds like others are still having issues so its not just efile cabinet.  Seems to me this should be an easy fix if presented to the right person at Microsoft. How does one do that? The error message should tell soemone what needs fixed! to review:

IE8 works fine - no issues

IE9 never works - gives script error listed her FROM THE BEGGINNING OF THE THREAD!

RUNAS admin with IE9 works but why would you want to run IE9 this way! Fortuantely we use good security software including Endpoint and Security essentials and Opendns and keep pc's patched but it still has me concerned.

PELASE GET SOME ONE IN IE PROGRAMMING TO FIX THIS!

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 10:39 AM
  •  that points to missing files.

What's your thinking for that, Susan?   I just "opened"  res://ieframe.dll/preview.dlg   got into Developer Tools and then opened  preview.js  in the Script pane.   Line 2107 shows  Printer.stopDoc();  here.

So, is the message just saying "Error:  you didn't start, so you can't stop?"   That could still be a sign of a driver problem I would guess.

OTOH the line number may be ambiguous because immediately above that is a  catch(e) block for  "Internal Error occured during printPage()."

And of course, others may have a different version of  ieframe.dll  with a different version of  preview.js  embedded in it, where line 2107 is completely different.

BTW although I have not yet acquired an LDR version of ieframe.dll I have had a report that I can expect to see some differences when I get it and start using it.

Are you using an LDR version of ieframe.dll already by any chance?   If so, that might explain some of your success.

Coincidentally I found a great tip last night for getting module version info from PowerShell:

PS C:\Windows> (Get-Item -Path "$Env:windir\System32\ieframe.dll").VersionInfo | Format-Table -Property "FileBuildPart",  "FilePrivatePart" -AutoSize

FileBuildPart FilePrivatePart
    ------------- ---------------
             8112           16441

Although the KB2647516 CSV file doesn't explicitly call it LDR I think that I want to be on  20546  to be able to test any differences from accrued hotfixes in that module.   In fact, I am a bit disappointed that the xpsprint.dll Hotfix apparently did not meet the stated requirements for me to have acquired it automatically because I had the Hotfix installed before the update arrived.

<quote>
     If no existing Internet Explorer files are from the hotfix environment, security update 2647516 installs the GDR files.
    </quote>

Robert
    ---

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 6:08 PM
  • PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

The hotfix in kb2647169 works!

We have a small network with 1 SBS 2008 and 5 clients with Win7 x64 and IE9. The issue was, that we could send faxmessages local from the windows fax and scan util on the server, but not from any of the clients. The workaround, not to type anything in the faxmessage-textbox worked on the clients. After creating a new fax message the script error appears not only when sending the message, but also when clicking manually in the message windows menu on preview.

We had the script error only in the windows fax and scan program, but NOT in the print preview of IE9. Print preview and printing in IE9 are working fine, also before installing the hotfix.

Greetings from Stuttgart, Germany

Arno

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 9:45 AM
  • SORRY, BUT WE COULD NOT FIND THE PAGE THAT YOU REQUESTED.

PLEASE REFINE YOUR SEARCH OR TRY ONE OF THE OTHER HELPFUL LINKS THAT ARE PROVIDED HERE.

SOURCE: MICROSOFT SUPPORT.

OR

MOST LIKELY: LACK OF SUPPORT.

Friday, February 24, 2012 3:39 AM
  • WE ALL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH microsoft IE9.

NO PRINT PREVIEW.

NO PRINT.

obviously, microsoft people have no problem with the fact that we all have a serious problem with their shabby product.

DENY. deny. DENY. deny.

--- ---

NOW WE HAVE STARTED USING OTHER BROWSERS AND WE HAVE NO PROBLEMS WITH USING THOSE:

FIREFOX

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/fx/

APPLE SAFARI

http://www.apple.com/safari/download/

++++++

ALSO,

THERE IS A BRAND NEW TOP-NOTCH BROWSER THAT WE ARE BETA TESTING -- NO PROBLEMS!

++++++

STAY AWAY FROM GOOD-FOR-NOTHING-EVIL-GOOGLE-CHROME!!!!!!

Friday, February 24, 2012 4:28 AM
  • WE ALL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM FOR OVER A YEAR NOW.

Friday, February 24, 2012 4:32 AM
  • Please be aware that all caps is shouting and considered rude so can you please stop using caps?  Thank you for your understanding.

What printer?

What printer driver?  I"m not Microsoft and I'm not having issues.  What are your exact errors?

Friday, February 24, 2012 5:14 AM
  • Dear Mr. Steve Ballmer: IT IS REALLY SHOCKING THAT MS-IE9 LACK-OF-QUALITY TEAM WOULD ALLOW THESE SERIOUSLY business DISRUPTIVE MALFUNCTIONS TO FESTER FOR OVER A YEAR NOW WITHOUT ANY SATISFACTORY RESOLUTIONS to fix the problems. IT SHOWS SERIOUSLY ROTTEN DISRESPECT FOR THEIR OWN ORGANIZATION (Microsoft) AND SUBVERSIVE MOTIVES. NO SHAME AT ALL. OUT TO DAMAGE THE Microsoft Brand. Then again, may be these yokels know something toxic about Microsoft that the outsiders do not. DENY. Deny. DENY. SAD. Sad. SAD. OBVIOUSLY, QUALITY is NOT JOB # 1 at Microsoft.
    Friday, February 24, 2012 5:24 AM
  • At least you are trying to help and if had the tools you are using I'd try tofix this myself. Susan means well but can't help. ONLY [YES I AM SHOUTING!] MICROSOFT CAN FIX THIS! you'd think they have at least one programmer on staf who would have a clue what is going on? Maybe they should ask Google or Mozilla for help? Hoping IE10 or 11 or 12 might make a break thur and actually work for such a simple operation as print preview or printing! Perhaps that is asking too much.
    Friday, February 24, 2012 5:02 PM
  • They can't fix what they cannot repro.  Johhny email me at susan-at-msmvps.com and I'll get a support case set up for you so that Microsoft can directly look at this.  Microsoft cannot fix without getting a machine impacted so they see what is going on.  Vendors code differently so there's no one fix fixes all.
    Friday, February 24, 2012 5:33 PM
  • "Somewhat surprised" Recently Feb 17th 2012 did a migration from windows sbs 2003 to sbs 2011 yes you guessed it! after migrating and patching, I rolled out the fax service to the clients which are a mixture of windows 7 64bit and 32 bit machines and some older XP's about 26 clients in all (Fully patched servers and clients) client errors below An error has occurred in the script on this page. Line: 2107 Char: 1 Error: Invalid procedure call or argument Code: 0 URL: res://ieframe.dll/preview.js Do you want to continue running scripts on this page? The hotfix "2647169" has fixed the issue Suprised in that a windows auto update hasnt been implemented to remedy this problem for new server/clients installs/migrations. Thanks to all involved Susan and Mark especially for the fix Glad I wasnt one of those waiting 6 months plus however.. It Manager Access Office
    Saturday, February 25, 2012 8:43 AM
  • All:
    Thank you so much to those that reported issues and made active contributions to these investigations. Also to those within our community that provided assistance, greatly appreciated. The thread will be locked. As a reminder:

The issue Windows Fax and Scan script error has been resolved (see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2647169).

If this does not resolve an issue you are experiencing, I'd ensure that it's not an add-on causing interference (run iexplore -extoff to disable add-ons and check).

New Issues:
    If you have a new print issue that is not addressed by the KB's or the Hotfix then please start your own new thread and post the specifics of your issue. I'd recommend including all relevant information such as:
    Specific steps to reproduce the issue.
    OS/ version /Service Pack (e.g. Windows 7 SP1).
    32 / 64 bit.
    IE9 update version (found in help/about).
    Printer and printer driver information.
    Printer is: Networked, standalone, shared?
    urls not working (if it's all printing again please see KB's).
    Error message(s).
    Relevant third party applications (e.g. print maangement / accounting software).
    Browser add ons.
    Steps you've tried to mitigate (e.g. running iexplore -extoff or from admin).

General advice: Please do consider contacting technical support and opening an incident, if you have an urgent problem impacting your business.

User from SUNCOS: Please contact me directly ie9pq at microsoft dot com so that we can get some facts around the specifics of any print issue you feel is not addressed by the answers already provided by the great community folks here and from the support and product groups.

Regards
    Mark.

Monday, February 27, 2012 4:06 PM