locked
Are add-ons the symptom or the problem?

    Question

  •  

    Since 10/6/08, everything my son tries to do on the internet is automatically redirected to
    http://images.google.com/images?q=http://www.whatever site he is trying to access

    In other words, whatever he types is pre-pended by http://images.google.com/images?q=. I have a profile on the SAME PC, but do not have a problem with my profile - so it is profile-specific. I have searched and searched and searched for info on this problem - and I have found a few tech logs in which people mention having the problem, but none that have a resolution.

    Oddly, the since the redirect prepends rather than replacing the URL, it never goes anywhere – because no such site exists. But meanwhile my son has zero access to the internet.

    I have scanned the computer with McAfee, Kaspersky and MS OneCare and come up clean with all of them.

    I was advised to check the add-ons running in IE under my son's profile. I followed this advice, found 2 add-ons that had last been accessed the last time my son was successfully browsing; disabled them and it appears to work fine now. Then I thought I'd try to figure out what these "add-ons" are - and the only references to the names suggest that they're legitimate although I suppose legitimate names could somehow be masking an alternate "identity". So far, so good - but I guess I'll know soon enough if I disabled something he actually uses. These are the 2 I disabled:

    Name Publisher Type File
    HtmlDlgSafeHelperClass Microsoft ActiveX Mshtmled.dll
    XML DOM Document 3.0 Microsoft ActiveX Msxml3.dll

     

    What are these files?  Did disabling them merely address a symptom without getting to the problem?

     

    Any help is welcome!

    Monday, October 13, 2008 9:56 PM

Answers

  • Hi,

     

    Mshtmled.dll and Msxml3.dll are Microsoft dll files. Normally they will not cause issues. I am afraid that they are not the root cause of your issue.

     

    Now I suggest trying the following steps to troubleshoot the issue.

     

    Step 1 Reset Internet Explorer (IE) & register files

    ================================

    Note: It will remove all changes that have been made to Internet Explorer since it was installed, but it does not delete your favorites or feeds.

     

    1. Click Start, please type "inetcpl.cpl" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search bar and press Enter to open the Internet options window.

    2. Switch to the Advanced tab.

    3. Click the Reset Internet Explorer Settings button.

    4. Click Reset to confirm the operation.

    5. Click Close when the resetting process finished.

    6. Uncheck Enable third-party browser extensions option in the Settings box.

    7. Click Apply, click OK.

     

    Step 2 Clean Boot

    ============

    1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.

     

    Note: Please click Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

     

    2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray). (You can keep your anti-virus program services checked)

     

    3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK". (You can keep your anti-virus program startup items checked)

    4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

     

    Note: If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click "OK".

     

    Step 3 Remove Viruses

    ===============

    Please update your anti-virus programs to the latest version and perform a full virus scan.

     

    Please let me know the result.

     

    Tim Quan - MSFT

     

    Wednesday, October 15, 2008 3:05 AM
    Moderator