IE 7.0 will not connect to the Internet. Firefox will.

Question

• Ever since I updated Mozilla Firefox to Version 2.0.0.6, IE refuses to connect to the Internet (Opera also won't connect). It simply says, "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage." I AM, however, connected to the Internet and my computer acknowledges this. When I try to repair my Internet connection, it says that Windows cannot find any problem with your Internet connection. When I try to establish a new connection it says, "You are already connected to the Internet." Also, when I tried updating to Firefox version 2.0.0.7, suddenly nothing, not even Firefox, would connect to the Internet. I have had to do system restore several times and dig up earlier versions of Firefox online. Uninstalling Firefox doesn't fix the problem. I'm assuming that the Firefox install did some very serious tinkering with my Internet connection settings and I'm not sure how to fix it. I have tried using Internet Explorer's Reset function, but that did nothing. I'm at a total loss.
    Saturday, January 05, 2008 3:07 AM

Answers

•  

Hello Jesse,

It is a strange IE issue according to your description, before moving on, I would like to confirm with you that:

1. Did you lost the network connection totally or just cannot use Internet browser to view web pages?

2. Can you use other Internet related programs like MSN messenger or Outlook Express etc?

Please let me know the results, thank you.

Since this issue initiated from upgrading Firefox browser and does not occur after system restore or degrading to lower Version, it is possible a 3rd party software conflict issue with your current hardware or software environment. It is recommended to consult the Firefox support. I believe it will be helpful to get this issue resolved in a efficient manner.

To ensure that IE is working as designed, I will assist you in narrowing down the root cause and check your system. Please note that if this issue is determined to be related to third-party software only, it will be better for you to contact its distributor for direct assistance.

Based on experience, if this issue only occur to Internet Explorer/browser, first. I suggest we try the following steps:

Step 1: Reload IE settings

====================

1. Click the Start Button, type "inetcpl.cpl" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

2. In the Security tab, click "Delete" under "Browsing History".

3. Click "Delete all", check the option "Also delete files and settings stored by add-ons.", and then click Yes.

4. Click Close.

5. Switch to the "Advanced" tab, click the "Restore advanced settings" button and then deselect "Enable third-party browser extensions".

Then click "OK" to quit.

Step 2: Use Ad-Aware to clean up spyware from the system:

====================

1. Download and install Ad-Aware from the following page:

http://lavasoft.element5.com/products/ad-aware_se_personal.php   

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

2. Click the Start Button -> "All Programs" -> "Lavasoft Ad-aware SE Personal" -> "Ad-Aware SE Personal" to start Ad-Aware.

(Note: If there is a popup box asking whether or not to check for definition updates, please click OK and click Connect. Click OK to download and install the latest definition, and then click Finish.)

3. Click "Start" in the Ad-Aware window, and then click "Next" to start the scan.

4. After the scan is finished, click "Next", click the check boxes on the "Critical Objects" tab to select them, click "Next", and then click OK to confirm the removal.

Restart the computer and check if you can use IE normally now.

However, besides the Internet browser, if the network connection is totally lost, please check the network connection configuration and reinstall the NIC driver.

Sincerely,

Robbin Meng

Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, January 09, 2008 10:36 AM

All replies

•  

Hello Jesse,

It is a strange IE issue according to your description, before moving on, I would like to confirm with you that:

1. Did you lost the network connection totally or just cannot use Internet browser to view web pages?

2. Can you use other Internet related programs like MSN messenger or Outlook Express etc?

Please let me know the results, thank you.

Since this issue initiated from upgrading Firefox browser and does not occur after system restore or degrading to lower Version, it is possible a 3rd party software conflict issue with your current hardware or software environment. It is recommended to consult the Firefox support. I believe it will be helpful to get this issue resolved in a efficient manner.

To ensure that IE is working as designed, I will assist you in narrowing down the root cause and check your system. Please note that if this issue is determined to be related to third-party software only, it will be better for you to contact its distributor for direct assistance.

Based on experience, if this issue only occur to Internet Explorer/browser, first. I suggest we try the following steps:

Step 1: Reload IE settings

====================

1. Click the Start Button, type "inetcpl.cpl" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

2. In the Security tab, click "Delete" under "Browsing History".

3. Click "Delete all", check the option "Also delete files and settings stored by add-ons.", and then click Yes.

4. Click Close.

5. Switch to the "Advanced" tab, click the "Restore advanced settings" button and then deselect "Enable third-party browser extensions".

Then click "OK" to quit.

Step 2: Use Ad-Aware to clean up spyware from the system:

====================

1. Download and install Ad-Aware from the following page:

http://lavasoft.element5.com/products/ad-aware_se_personal.php   

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

2. Click the Start Button -> "All Programs" -> "Lavasoft Ad-aware SE Personal" -> "Ad-Aware SE Personal" to start Ad-Aware.

(Note: If there is a popup box asking whether or not to check for definition updates, please click OK and click Connect. Click OK to download and install the latest definition, and then click Finish.)

3. Click "Start" in the Ad-Aware window, and then click "Next" to start the scan.

4. After the scan is finished, click "Next", click the check boxes on the "Critical Objects" tab to select them, click "Next", and then click OK to confirm the removal.

Restart the computer and check if you can use IE normally now.

However, besides the Internet browser, if the network connection is totally lost, please check the network connection configuration and reinstall the NIC driver.

Sincerely,

Robbin Meng

Wednesday, January 09, 2008 10:36 AM
  • I have the eaxact same problem, still not resolved !!!.
    Tuesday, March 04, 2008 8:13 AM
  • Hi,

Have you tried all the suggested steps? If not, please have a try and post the latest symptoms if issue persists.

Thanks.

Sincerely,
    Robbin Meng

Wednesday, March 05, 2008 3:27 AM
  • The only thing that kind of worked is running the downloaded WinsockxpFix program, but it's still not stable.

Now I can't run the following 2 updates:

1.  XP SP3 (It just flat tells me that it fails).
    2.  Office 2007 SP1  (Same thing and I can't run it with the "/log" switch)

FRUSTED WINDOW USER.  ABOUT TO GOTO MAC.

Wednesday, March 05, 2008 6:58 AM
  • Hello,

As the new update issue you mentioned is different from the original one discussed in this current thread, we'd recommend that you start up a new thread for it. We generally focus on one topic in one thread because in this way it will be better for other community members to participate in the discussion, and to search/find specific answers more efficiently in the future.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards.

Friday, March 07, 2008 2:51 AM
  • Hi,

As anyone come up with a solution to this? I have tried all steps listed on all online tech sites and still have problems with IE. I tried to uninstall IE7 and use IE6, with the IEFIX but the problems still continues.

Any help greatly appreciated

Kobz
    Tuesday, March 11, 2008 9:32 PM

• What finally worked for me was to run the WinsockxpFix program download from Microsoft website, Restart Windows.  But I had to run it several times after installing other updates.

I was able to finally install XP SP3 after starting Window in the Safe Mode w/Networking, install the patch then restart normally.

I still CAN NOT install the Office-2007 SP1.  It still fails every single time without giving any other clues.  FRUSTRATING !!!.

Hope this helps..
    Tuesday, March 11, 2008 9:51 PM
  •  HelloEd wrote:
    I have the eaxact same problem, still not resolved !!!.

Me too. IE works fine while the computer just started.
    Wednesday, March 26, 2008 6:10 AM
  • Same problem for me.  No problems in Firefox, unless I try and run the two simultaneously.  If I run IE while in Firefox, both fail to load pages.  If I close IE, then pages load fine in Firefox.  I resetted all of my IE settings as well. 
    Thursday, April 03, 2008 2:14 AM
  • Hello Robbin Meng,

I, too, having problem to get IE to connect while my Firefox will.   I have followed your above info and still unable to use IE to connect.  I got message of saying that Internet Explorer cannot display the webgage.  Diagnose connection problems won't work.  From the More Information section I got *the Domain Name Server is not reachable; *the Domain Name Server does not have a listing for the website's domain.  I have try and checked the SSL and TLS protocols are enable under the security section but no luck.  I am using XP with service 2 and IE version 7.  Any more suggestion that I could try?

Thank in advance for helping me.

Larry
    Wednesday, April 30, 2008 10:25 AM
  • Hi Robbin,

I am trouble in accessing msn messenger and yahoo messenger at the moment. A couple of days ago, I was unable to access facebook and hotmail as well as the other two.

This morning, I downloaded Mozilla Firefox, and now I can access facebook and hotmail, but still can not access my messenger services. I use msn messenger akot as I am living overseas, and it is a good way to keep in touch with friends, and family.

It all happened a couple of days ago when I was able to access all my services in the morning and then at lunchtime, but come that evening. i could not access anything.

At them moment it is coming up error code 80048820 and extended error code 80048401. It is also telling me to check my firewall settings.

Could you please help me out.

Also, I need to mention, if I have to do anything, please make it simple, as everything on my pc is in chinese ie when I open the start menu, or the pull down files as well, they are in chinese. I need to make it dummy proof for me.

cheers!
    Andrew
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 5:04 AM
  • I have a system that also has the problem of not connecting to the internet.  The system does not have any other browser.  I tried clearing the history. I even uninstalled and reinstalled the NIC.

There is network connectivity as I can connect to shares through the run box.

Any suggestions will be appreciated

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 8:38 PM
  • I have this problem but also messenger is down and the virius protection is down, what should i do?
    Friday, November 21, 2008 11:44 PM
  • Have you got Zone alarm installed? I had this problem and found that Zone alarm had suddenly put I.E. in the 'BLOCK ACCESS' under Program Control. Obviously I ticked everything and I.E. is now ok, along with Firefox. Perhaps Zone alarm was seeing version 7 as an unknown program
    Sunday, November 30, 2008 8:21 PM
  • Thanks. Restore settings did the job for me.
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 3:02 AM
  • Thank you very much, Firefox for me would get online no problem. but IE and Itunes as well as other apps that access internet where not connecting. Resetting IE settings in Step 1 worked perfect. I have spybot installed so my computer is pretty clean and i manage it really well. after updating everything a few weeks ago i lost IE and some other apps. this finally fixed it 100%. Thanks again.
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 4:07 PM
  • Didn't work for me, but the following worked:

Click Start, then Run and type CMD in the dialogue box that appears, and then click OK. Type netsh winsock reset into the DOS window that appears.

Found here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/ietopten.mspx
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 11:40 PM
  • Had the same problem but was able to fix it. Go on your comp. to C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Connection Wizard, then click on inetwiz.exe. check the first box and make sure manual  proxy server is unchecked. click next and finish the installation. This worked for me hope it will for you.
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 10:51 PM
  • Update Internet Explorer 7 to Internet Explorer 8.
    Sunday, February 07, 2010 2:07 AM
  • This worked. Thanks!!
    Friday, May 07, 2010 3:33 AM
  • Hi, I've read your problem and I just recently fixed what happened to my Internet Explorer. I had the same symptoms; IE wouldn't connect while Firefox could. Apparently for me, it was caused by a certain type of malware that altered my registry and overrode my proxy settings. If you still haven't fixed it yet, I suggest downloading HijackThis, run a scan and create a log and copy/paste the *entire* log info into a query box located at the bottom in www.hijackthis.de . I must warn you, though, that it gets pretty technical and by checking any of the boxes in the HijackThis program would cause it to *permanently delete or repair* anything you put a check mark on, so you'll have to make sure that you checked the right one. Once you analyze the log on your computer, it will give you a list of what are safe and/or potential 'nasties' on your computer. If you find anything potentially nasty, match up the entry on the analyzed logfile to the list on HijackThis and check it. Once you delete it, Internet Explorer should be working.

I hope this helped you and possibly anyone else that might be experiencing the same problem as this.
    Sunday, May 09, 2010 7:05 AM
  • You are an absolute genius.  This fixed the problem I was having.  It was driving me crazy.  Thanks!
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 12:59 AM
  • Thank you so much! This worked perfectly for me.

If you have any ideas on how to permanently delete Antimalware Doctor, let me know. :)

Tuesday, June 01, 2010 12:59 PM
  • Hehe, what you ask is a different question altogether. Post on a different thread or create one of your own and reply to me here a cornfirmation of your doing so, and i'll see what help i can provide ^^

Wednesday, June 02, 2010 6:33 AM
  • Hello, I just came across your post as I have I think the same issue.  Firefox works fine yet some of my other programs will not connect to the internet like RingCentral and most importantly IE7.  I downloaded hijackthis and have my log but I am not savvy enough to know what I am looking for.  I see some entries where it says file missing, for example this is 1 line from my log -

O23 - Service: @keyiso.dll,-100 (KeyIso) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)

should I be deleting all of these?  Any further explanation would be great as this all started with the Green AV virus which I have since gotten rid of but this connectivity issue is a bi product of that original issue.  I thank you in advance.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 2:57 PM
  • Cuveesteve,

You can upload your hijackthis log to this site:  http://www.hijackthis.de/

It will provide analysis from all the entries on your log. For the ones with missing files, i usually double check if the file is in fact missing, and if it is, I remove the entry.

I has this issue as a result of changing anti-virus software. I used Norton before. I uninstalled all the software from norton and installed the new one. Norton however was not fully removed. After researching, I had to download the Norton removal tool. After running that, I was able to connect with IE again.

This problem is not always due to malware or a virus. It is sometimes the anti-virus software that causes the issue.

0g

Saturday, June 26, 2010 2:15 PM
  • This worked! - Great easy solution! Thanks.
    Saturday, October 23, 2010 7:22 PM

• j.kim, I just wanted to thank you for your post. It was really bugging me that I could connect to the internet with Firefox but not with Explorer.

I followed your instructions and I finally managed to Explorer to connect to the net. Unchecking the manual proxy server did the trick. Thank you again!

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 9:09 PM