none
I keep getting a "no connection to the internet is currently available.

Question

• I have windows XP, home edition, and use internet explorer 7.  The last few months I keep getting the message that no internet connection is available, but am able to connect or am connected while I get this message.  I don't know why I keep getting this message, it is quite annoying!  Any ideas?  Thanks!
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 1:14 AM

Answers

• Check hardware first. If internet connection via ethernet cable check the cable is properly connected between the modem and the network card of your PC.If the connection is through router check the cable is connected from router to modem properly.If hardware is good. Check software.Disconnect the internet connection.Connect the internet connection again.Click on start, click on RUN type cmd for command prompt.Type ipconfig /release to release the internet connection and then ipconfig /renew to renew the internet connection.Try pinging yahoo.com by typing ping yahoo.com.If you receive the bytes in the form bytes received = bytes sent, internet connection is properly connected.If not there can be DNS domain name resolution problem.Type in this column your result of such tasks so i can proceed further to resolve it.
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 5:58 AM
  • I have windows XP, home edition, and use internet explorer 7.  The last few months I keep getting the message that no internet connection is available, but am able to connect or am connected while I get this message.  I don't know why I keep getting this message, it is quite annoying!  Any ideas?  Thanks!

I used to get that on XP most consistently with Help & Support.   It could only detect an Internet connection it seemed when it was the first connection.   I figured it must be a timing thing.   E.g. it seemed to expect a LAN connection (due to Never dial) but was only willing to wait when my PPPoE didn't actually have one.  (That seemed backwards but it was the way it happened.)

So, if you have the same symptom but worse with H&S, clearly the problem is with Networking in your OS and not just with IE.   ; )

FWIW I have never been able to find any tuning parameters to use to change these symptoms.  A related one can happen more randomly IMO when the DNS lookup is "too slow".  In that case what I do is prep IE's lookup by making sure that the full lookup is cached first.  If your symptom is correcting on the second try that's probably what you are doing too.  However, you could still have a problem with hosts which are aliases of canonical  names.   Ironically, www.microsoft.com  is an example of the latter.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 2:42 PM
  • Hi,

Did you install any software from the cable company when you started using cable internet?

Please try uninstalling your network card through device manager. Reboot. Then update the driver to check the result.

Also please check the route table and see if there is any invalid default routers.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 7:28 AM

All replies

• Check hardware first. If internet connection via ethernet cable check the cable is properly connected between the modem and the network card of your PC.If the connection is through router check the cable is connected from router to modem properly.If hardware is good. Check software.Disconnect the internet connection.Connect the internet connection again.Click on start, click on RUN type cmd for command prompt.Type ipconfig /release to release the internet connection and then ipconfig /renew to renew the internet connection.Try pinging yahoo.com by typing ping yahoo.com.If you receive the bytes in the form bytes received = bytes sent, internet connection is properly connected.If not there can be DNS domain name resolution problem.Type in this column your result of such tasks so i can proceed further to resolve it.
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 5:58 AM

I used to get that on XP most consistently with Help & Support.   It could only detect an Internet connection it seemed when it was the first connection.   I figured it must be a timing thing.   E.g. it seemed to expect a LAN connection (due to Never dial) but was only willing to wait when my PPPoE didn't actually have one.  (That seemed backwards but it was the way it happened.)

So, if you have the same symptom but worse with H&S, clearly the problem is with Networking in your OS and not just with IE.   ; )

FWIW I have never been able to find any tuning parameters to use to change these symptoms.  A related one can happen more randomly IMO when the DNS lookup is "too slow".  In that case what I do is prep IE's lookup by making sure that the full lookup is cached first.  If your symptom is correcting on the second try that's probably what you are doing too.  However, you could still have a problem with hosts which are aliases of canonical  names.   Ironically, www.microsoft.com  is an example of the latter.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 2:42 PM
  • Hi,

Did you install any software from the cable company when you started using cable internet?

Please try uninstalling your network card through device manager. Reboot. Then update the driver to check the result.

Also please check the route table and see if there is any invalid default routers.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 7:28 AM