none
xml rendering issue in IE7 - opens blank screen

Question

• I'm having an issue with several of our users in regards to opening xml files on their systems. They are all running XP Professional SP3 and Internet Explorer 7 (required for several integration points). The issue is one I have not run into before. Here is a rundown:

If a user opens a browser and clicks a link to an .xml file, the file will open either in a new tab or window (depending on tab settings) with no issues.

However, if a user opens a browser and then opens another browser, then goes back to the first browser and clicks a link to an .xml file, the file will open as a blank page off the most recently opened browser instance (i.e. if you open three browser windows, it will always try to open in the third browser even if clicked in the second or first).

As long as the browser where the link is being clicked is the most recent one opened there is no problem.

Here's where it gets tricky; all of our systems are running the exact same programs and versions. However, this only happens on some user's computers, other users have the same opening off the most recent browser issue, but the .xml file opens and is readable. I have tried duplicating all of the IE settings and file associations between a "working" system and a "non-working" system but it made no difference. We have tried associating the .xml files to IE, XML editor, even Word, but there is no change.

The .xml header is listed as

<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="https://XXXXXXXXXXXXXX/XX/resources/XXX/xsl/CS_Xml_Output.xsl"?>

I don't think it's a header issue as it opens just fine as long as the most recently opened browser is used to link to it.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Friday, March 09, 2012 3:38 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I suggest you upgrade Internet Explorer to version 9.

Meantime, you may reset Internet Explorer settings. Here is an official article can be referred to.

How to reset Internet Explorer settings
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

In another way, you may run Internet Explorer with “no-add-ons” model.
    1. Open Start Menu, then click all programs, select Accessories, open the  system tools;
    2. Right-click Internet Explorer(No Add-ons), run as Administrator.
    If the problem disappears, it could be caused by Internet Explorer add-ons, you could try following steps to narrow down.
    1.    In Internet Explorer, click Tools and click Manage add-ons.
    2.    Disable the add-ons and keep the needed items on.
    3.    After finding the related item, double click the item and select Remove.
    4.    Restart Internet Explorer and check the issue again.

Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx

If the issue persists, you could restore the Internet Explorer by turn off and turn on the IE feature in the control panel ->Programs and Features.
    Note: Before you restore internet explorer, please perform a system backup first and backup your favorites.

Hope that helps.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 9:15 AM
  • all running XP Professional SP3 and Internet Explorer 7 (required for several integration points).

Have you tried IE8 instead?   If that works what about compatibility view for your other "requirements"?

BTW I seem to recall there once being a problem with not "saving encrypted pages to disk" for an XML-related scenario but if you have all settings the same I suppose that couldn't be it?

FWIW I would try tracing both cases with ProcMon paying particular attention to how the TIF is used.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 2:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I suggest you upgrade Internet Explorer to version 9.

Meantime, you may reset Internet Explorer settings. Here is an official article can be referred to.

How to reset Internet Explorer settings
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

In another way, you may run Internet Explorer with “no-add-ons” model.
    1. Open Start Menu, then click all programs, select Accessories, open the  system tools;
    2. Right-click Internet Explorer(No Add-ons), run as Administrator.
    If the problem disappears, it could be caused by Internet Explorer add-ons, you could try following steps to narrow down.
    1.    In Internet Explorer, click Tools and click Manage add-ons.
    2.    Disable the add-ons and keep the needed items on.
    3.    After finding the related item, double click the item and select Remove.
    4.    Restart Internet Explorer and check the issue again.

Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx

If the issue persists, you could restore the Internet Explorer by turn off and turn on the IE feature in the control panel ->Programs and Features.
    Note: Before you restore internet explorer, please perform a system backup first and backup your favorites.

Hope that helps.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 9:15 AM
  • all running XP Professional SP3 and Internet Explorer 7 (required for several integration points).

Have you tried IE8 instead?   If that works what about compatibility view for your other "requirements"?

BTW I seem to recall there once being a problem with not "saving encrypted pages to disk" for an XML-related scenario but if you have all settings the same I suppose that couldn't be it?

FWIW I would try tracing both cases with ProcMon paying particular attention to how the TIF is used.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 2:48 PM