none
IE 9 will only load some sites if run as administrator (despite administrator priviledges.)

Question

• HI,

I have been battling IE 9 all day.   I could not load facebook, msn, cvs, and other sites.  IE just shows it is working and... two instances, sometimes three show up in task manager.  The only way to get out is to kill all the processes.  I have tried reverting back to 8 (still no go,) reinstalling 9... running the fix it apps online resetting the internet options back to default.  All I could do was get facebook to run by including it in the trusted sites.  I can access the sites logged on as admin.  I can access the sites in other browsers.. Chrome and Mozilla, no problem.   I can access the sites if I click run as admin on iexplorer.exe..... but I have administrative privileges.   Pulling my hair out.   Oddly enough also there are two versions of iexplorer.exe ver 9.0.8112.16448  one 731KB and one 737KB  in folders C:\Program files(x86) and c:\Program files   I guess one is 32bit and one 64 bit.    (Running windows 7 64 pro.)   I have tried the malware removal tool and the safety scanner.   Any ideas on how I can nip this bugger of an issue?

Sunday, September 02, 2012 10:30 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I suggest you try the following steps:

1. Please refer to this: http://support.microsoft.com/gp/pc_ie_intro

2. You can run Internet Explorer (No Add-ons) to troubleshoot the issue.

1. Open Start Menu, then click all programs, select Accessories, open the  system tools;

2. Right-click Internet Explorer(No Add-ons), run as Administrator.

3. Reset Internet Explorer settings and see how it works.

4. Test issue in Clean Boot mode and Safe Mode with networking

5. Create a new user profile to check the result. More reference: Fix a corrupted user profile

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang

TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by IECustomizerMVP Wednesday, September 05, 2012 7:35 PM
    Tuesday, September 04, 2012 6:20 AM
  • HI,

I had reset again and removed all addins.  Reinstalling FLash seemed to fix the problem.  I had allowed debugging and found some variable errors and permission errors here and there, but shut that down.  It does not seem to prevent pages from loading if ignored.   I have also noticed a lot of

"You are about to leave a secure internet connection..."

"You are view pages over a  secure connection"  messages, but of course, that is normal.

Thanks for your response,

I will try all that again if this does not keep working.

PS.  Administrator login and guest login had no problems browsing.  Neither did the browser on "run as administratore.."

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 4:40 PM
  • Hi,

Glad to hear this issue has been solved now. Hope it will not it will not occur again in the future.

Regards,

Vincent Wang

Wednesday, September 05, 2012 1:21 AM
  • Well,  not completely.

So far, the chat window on a facebook page will work for a few min, but then it will not refresh and it fails... gets faded out, until you refresh the page.

My guess is what ever is driving it to refresh itself is not allowed on IE9.  There are no error messages spewed out by IE9 so I cannot determine what exactly the problem is.  Most likely there would be a setting some where that allows scripts to refresh windows or windows in windows?

Wednesday, September 05, 2012 10:58 PM
  • Hi,

You can change the “Scripting” settings to check whether it can help.

Internet Options > Security > Custom Level > Scripting 

Regards,

Vincent Wang

Monday, September 10, 2012 9:06 AM
  • There are no error messages spewed out by IE9

In IE9 some error messages only appear in the Developer Tools, Console tab.   You should try using the Developer Tools, Script Debugger, Profiler, and Network Capture  in any case for more clues about your symptoms.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, September 10, 2012 9:53 PM
  • I had a similar issue, where most sites would not load or not allow me to log in unless I ran IE 9 as administrator.  (OS is Windows 7 64-bit, but running the 32-bit IE version.)  This happened all of a sudden, everything was working fine for months, then stopped.  I had already tried resetting everything back to defaults and disabling all add-ins with no change.  Everything works perfectly in Chrome, but there are some websites I need where some actions require IE.

Based on the comments here, I just reinstalled Flash for IE, and while I will have to do more testing to confirm everything is working, so far so good.

-Victoria
    Microsoft Dynamics GP MVP 2005 - 2012
    http://victoriayudin.com
    Flexible Solutions, Inc.

Friday, December 21, 2012 9:31 PM