none
can't delete "windows live" & "links" from IE Favorite folders

Question

• I am running win7 ultimate x64, IE9 and xmarks.  I have just become aware that I can’t delete these folders.  However I attempt to do it, whether in IE9 or windows explorer I get errors like “Could not find this item”, “this is no longer located in D:\...”.  I have tried disabling IE9, today I even tried rebooting with UBD4W and tried to delete the folders and got a disk error message.  I ran CHKDSK with autofix & check for bad sectors turned ‘on’ but has not resolved problem.  I have also tried uninstalling xmarks for IE to no avail.  I can create or copy files into these 2 folders, when I sync with xmarks they become populated with the windows live links and the ‘links’ folder get duplicate entries present in the ‘Favorites bar” folder.  I have checked many forum posts with similar problems but no solutions worked,  I am out of ideas but very curious to know what is going on.

Friday, April 06, 2012 2:45 AM

All replies

• curious to know what is going on.

Regarding Favorites folders?   Where did you get your IE from?  Looks like an IEAK version and that you are trying to delete its customization, which will just be regenerated.   So, either hide the things you don't like looking at (e.g. using file attributes or permissions) or just learn to ignore them.

---

Friday, April 06, 2012 11:07 AM
  • In addition to Robert's remarks about a branded MSN version of IE: Links cannot be deleted because it "is" the Favorites Bar.

IEFAQ: http://iefaq.info

Saturday, April 07, 2012 2:21 PM
  • I am not a big fan of IE and I get it via windows update.  I can understand that the 'Links" folder is a mirror or link to the "Favorites Bar' folder but I find it annoying that I can't get rid of the "Windows Live" folder and not even booted up outside of the OS, how is that?  Also, I have a few PCs all setup more or less the same way and the others don’t have this recalcitrant Windows Live folder.. again, how is that?
    Sunday, April 08, 2012 3:57 AM
  • not even booted up outside of the OS

Explain?   Are you implying that you deleted the folder?  When?  How?  And then booted a different OS which shares that volume and could then see that the folder had been regenerated?    If you are trying to do it with the same account that the folder is for perhaps you will have to kill  explorer.exe?   You could try tracing with  ProcMon  to see which process is responsible for regenerating it and why.   My guess would be something that you are doing with  Windows Explorer.   So that's why you would have to kill it (or use a different account.)

---

Sunday, April 08, 2012 8:31 AM
  • not even booted up outside of the OS

Explain?   Are you implying that you deleted the folder? 

No, I can't delete the folders, not in any way that I have tried.  I have tried from a different account, I have tried booting the system from a CD, I have tried with the cmd window.  They don't regenerate because I can't get rid of them in the first place.  I just get disk error messages that they don't exsist, even though they are listed. 

---

Monday, April 09, 2012 1:36 AM
  • No, I can't delete the folders, not in any way that I have tried.  I have tried from a different account, I have tried booting the system from a CD, I have tried with the cmd window.  They don't regenerate because I can't get rid of them in the first place.  I just get disk error messages that they don't exsist, even though they are listed. 

Oh.  Well that's probably something else than what we were guessing from your initial symptom description.   Try using  icacls.exe  on them to see if you need to use takeown.exe on them?

Good luck

Robert
    ---

Monday, April 09, 2012 2:55 AM
  • Oh.  Well that's probably something else than what we were guessing from your initial symptom description.   Try using  icacls.exe  on them to see if you need to use takeown.exe on them?
    I have tried taking ownership, I have tried using Unlocker but these don't work maybe because the errors I get relate to disk errors not security or ownership issues.  The more things I try the more curious I am becoming about how these folders came to be like this.
    Monday, April 09, 2012 10:50 PM
  • I have tried taking ownership.

What does  icacls.exe  show?

Monday, April 09, 2012 11:04 PM
  • What does  icacls.exe  show?

I haven't learnt how to use icacls.exe.  The directory is "D:\Favorites\Windows Live" could you please give me the command I should use to get whatever information.
    Monday, April 09, 2012 11:14 PM
  • I resolved my problem by booting up with an ubuntu CD and deleting the folders.  They haven't been recreated.  I still find it strange that folder can be like this but I lost patience with trying to understand it.
    Tuesday, April 10, 2012 2:58 AM