none
I can't install IE 10 on my System 7 x32 with Service Pack 1 installed

Question

• I had IE 10 installed on my PC.  I checked All Programs and it is no longer there.  I had a problem with SweetPacks and I believe in the process of removing it from my system, IE got removed.

When I attempt to reinstall IE 10, I get a message that says; "Internet Explorer did not finish installing; setup can't continue because a more recent version of Internet Explorer is installed on your computer".

The file I was attempting to install is IE10-Windows6.1-en-us.exe

I also checked "uninstall files" and IE is not listed.  Nor is it in my Recycle Bin.

Sunday, June 30, 2013 11:48 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Internet Explorer is installed by the type of Windows Update, you can try to find it in "View installed updates".

In addition, you can access to C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer folder. Please check whether you can run IE program correctly.

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 9:28 AM
  • I couldn't find anything on Windows Update.  I did find two files in C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer folder.  One is ieinstall.exe, but it won't open.  The other is iexplore.exe, but when I attempt to open it, I get a warning from Internet Explorer Security that says it is outside the protected mode.  It lists publisher as "Realnetworks Inc.

Is it safe to open it? 

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 12:59 PM
  • Another bit of information.  When I attempt to look at Device Manager, I get a pop up window from Microsoft Management Console that says "MMC will not run with a version of Internet Explorer earlier than Internet Explorer 5.5)
    Tuesday, July 02, 2013 1:08 PM
  • Another bit of information.  When I attempt to look at Device Manager, I get a pop up window from Microsoft Management Console that says "MMC will not run with a version of Internet Explorer earlier than Internet Explorer 5.5)

Your first message says that IE10 is already installed but perhaps not active.  What do you see in Windows Features?  Probably Internet Explorer 10 but unchecked?  Then check it and see if your symptoms change.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 3:17 PM
  • I didn't say it was already installed.  I said that it was installed at one time, but that it doesn't show being installed anymore.  I don't understand what you mean by "What do you see in Windows Features".  Where do I need to look?
    Tuesday, July 02, 2013 4:28 PM
  • I found what you were referring to regarding Windows Features.  Windows Explorer 10 is checked.
    Tuesday, July 02, 2013 4:31 PM
  • I perhaps have a stupid question, but is Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer the same thing?
    Tuesday, July 02, 2013 5:21 PM
  • is Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer the same thing?

No.  WE is explorer.exe and IE is iexplore.exe

If you can't find iexplore.exe  and you have  IE 10 checked in Windows Features you have a problem.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 7:05 PM
  • I didn't say I couldn't find iexplore.exe.  I said I found it but when I attempt to open it, I get a warning from Internet Explorer Security that says it is outside the protected mode.  It lists publisher as "Realnetworks Inc.

My question is "can it click on iexplore.exe and install it based on the message I get?

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 7:32 PM
  • I get a warning from Internet Explorer Security that says it is outside the protected mode.  It lists publisher as "Realnetworks Inc.

If you are using EPM that's normal.   It just means that you are going to switch temporarily from 64-bit mode to 32-bit mode (in order to use that add-on).

My question is "can it click on iexplore.exe and install it based on the message I get?

iexplore.exe is just a stub for whatever level of browsing you have installed in your OS.  That's why you should not think of installing it as a standard application (such as another browser).   IE 10 as a whole is a component of the OS.  Unfortunately, there is no real repair for that component.  The best we can do is uninstall and reinstall the update which adds it, or repair the OS (which IMO is not a good choice.)

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 7:59 PM
  • OK, I now have IE 10 installed.  However, now I have a problem with Outlook.  When I try to open Outlook, it tells me that I have to have IE 4.01 or later.

When I open IE and click on "About Internet Explorer", it brings up a window that says I have IE 10, but it doesn't show a version number.  "Install New Versions Automatically" is checked.

Please help.

Wednesday, July 03, 2013 2:40 AM
  • now I have a problem with Outlook.

MS have made  "Outlook"  ridiculously ambiguous.   Outlook.com (aka Hotmail)  or  Outlook.exe?  If Hotmail, try using Compatibility View.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, July 03, 2013 5:39 AM
  • I have given up on IE 10.  I uninstalled it and it reverted back to IE 9.  Now everything appears to be working like it's suppose to.  Maybe someday Microsoft will fix all the problems and not rely on users to fix them.  Thank you for all your help.
    Wednesday, July 03, 2013 10:31 AM