none
Home page does not come up with IE launch

Question

• Windows XP IE 8 - The problem is that the home page will not come up when you launch IE. It shows "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". However, if you refresh the page THEN the home page is displayed. It is just the initial launch that is a problem. IE 8 was installed with a recent windows update. Any ideas on what is causing the problem? I would like to fix it with group policy since we have about 2,000 devices to touch for this.

Thanks!!!

Karon W
    Friday, October 07, 2011 12:42 PM

All replies

• Any ideas on what is causing the problem?

Initial connectivity?   E.g. does the symptom occur if you have previously done something to ensure addressability to the host involved?   Tip:  ping -n 1 -w 1  can put a lookup in the dnscache for its  TTL  which could be enough for you to start IE without it having to do its own lookup.

One way to fix it would be to specify a common local page as a Home page which would not require network connectivity for IE to open to.   The simplest examples of that are:  About:Blank  and  About:Tabs.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, October 07, 2011 1:31 PM
  • There is no network problem at all. We all use network apps - including citrix which will drop the connection in a heartbeat if there is any disruption. So the issue is NOT the network - it is somewhere in IE 8. or the IE 8 updates.
    Karon W
    Friday, October 07, 2011 2:00 PM
  • the issue is NOT the network

Please try the ping test (and use  ipconfig /displaydns to look at the TTL) to check your assumption.   You could also have Fiddler2 running to see what it captures for that event. 

You need to refine the symptom description.  Unfortunately that message can mean many things and checking addressability happens to be the first and most common cause.

HTH

Robert
    ---

Friday, October 07, 2011 4:05 PM
  • What we have determined is if you go to the advanced page in IE tools/internet options and select the "reset" in Resest Internet Explorer settings" then the problem disappears.

Now the question is - how to fix that for 2000 devices without laying hands on each device.

pings are fine.

Karon W
    Friday, October 07, 2011 6:38 PM
  • Now the question is - how to fix that for 2000 devices without laying hands on each device.

There's a rundll32.exe some people use...  ClearMyTracks?...

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/ieextensiondevelopment/thread/ce81943b-32b8-437b-b620-171c3d5893e7/

(Microsoft search for
        ClearMyTracksByProcess sms
    )

BTW I don't know why that one showed up for my search.  There is no apparent mention of SMS in there.

Maybe I should have used  SCCM  instead?  ; p

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/configmgrswdist/thread/337d8032-c0e6-4d54-ac66-092d904313d5

(Microsoft search for
         SMS (cmd OR bat)  FAQ
    )

HTH

Robert
    ---

Saturday, October 08, 2011 3:34 AM
  • My homepage will not come up after IE launches.
    Tuesday, May 20, 2014 12:50 AM