none
IE9 Slow...I've tried several fixes I found on this site and Microsoft Answers

Question

• IE9 with Win7 is slow in opening up many websites.  To the point that sometimes when it says that it is done opening, the screen remains blank.  So I close it and reopen and it will usually then access the website on the next try.  What I just described happens a lot and I can't yet find any pattern with particular websites.  Also, my emails in Yahoo will open slowly at times...and any email with an attachement (even 1K attachments) opens very slowly...8 - 12 seconds is common for these with even small attachments.   Before I did most of the steps I noted below...I installed Google Chrome to compare speeds.  It is soooo much faster BUT I like IE9 functionality better.  So I have been trying to figure out what to do to speed it up...SEE BELOW

I have been reading on the Microsoft Answers and Microsoft Safety and Security Center for ideas and have done the following:

•Reset IE9

•Updated IE9

•Updated Windows etc via Windows Update (done automatically but I ran it manually to be sure)

•Run Disk Cleanup

•Checked for Disk Defrag need...didn't need it since I have this auto run monthly

•I turned off all IE add ons and it didn't make any difference

•Reduced Start Up programs via using "autoruns for Windows v10.06"

•Used the F12 Developer tools to find Compatability View...but when I check that one it doesn't stay in that mode???

•Ran Malicious Software Removal Tool in Full Scan mode and didn't find anything

•Ran Windows Live Safety Scan 3 times and it seemed to find some issues but when I clicked for it to fix them...it gave a message...."The Windows OneCare safety scanner experienced an error.  Please close the scan and try again.   You can find more help in our forums.  Refer to error number 0x10600C06" ...I looked this up via searching the Microsoft sites and couldn't figure out what to do with it.  I ran it again and got the same results.  I have photos of the screens showing the results from this scan...but I don't know how to attach them to this...

•I run McAfee Security Suite...it doesn't find anything as to viruses, malware etc

•My computer is a Dell XPS 420 with Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU  E6850 @ 3.00 GHz  2.99 GHz  and RAM of 4.00GB (3.25GB Usable) and 32 bit operating system

Any suggestions???

Thursday, March 24, 2011 5:26 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for the post!

How about it work in Safe Mode? If it works fine in safe mode, try a Clean Boot to find if there's any third-party application conflicts.

Based on every effort you've tried. And in certain cases with some graphics card, you might see webpages scrolling slowly or that some page elements are not drawn correctly. Please try the following steps:

1. Open Internet Explorer 9, click Tools, select Internet options.

2. Select Advanced tab, under Accelerated graphics, check the Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering checkbox.

3. Click OK, restart the Internet Explorer.

Now check if it works.

For more information, you can refer to Release Notes for Internet Explorer 9.

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, March 28, 2011 9:26 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for the post!

How about it work in Safe Mode? If it works fine in safe mode, try a Clean Boot to find if there's any third-party application conflicts.

Based on every effort you've tried. And in certain cases with some graphics card, you might see webpages scrolling slowly or that some page elements are not drawn correctly. Please try the following steps:

2. Select Advanced tab, under Accelerated graphics, check the Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering checkbox.

Now check if it works.

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, March 28, 2011 9:26 AM
  • I have rolled out IE9 to all of the W7 machines on the network and all are experiencing much slower access speeds and the problem described before of pages intermittently not working. PDF's now fail to open at all in some cases. I have tried disabling all add ins and changing the accelleration settings to no avail.

What is clear here is that 'out of the box' this does not work properly and I shoudl not be forced to disable add-ins or change default settings to try and make it work, I have a worse experience that with IE8 which I was very happy with.

I am now forced to regress to IE8 on all machines or consider another browser all together to continue operations which I am not to happy about to say the least.

As a note to the IE team, this is really not a good business move to release a 'faster' browser that is slower for whatever reason. IT managers just dont have the time to 'gamble' on full releases not being up to scratch. I need to make a decision on a browser and stick with it for 12 months minimum. As a result of the IE9 shortcomigns, I am now most likley to use another provider's software and stick with it, which will be a first for me being a die-hard MS only network manager.

Sad but true.

I hope you get it sorted out fast for your sake.

Best Regards

Jeremy Davies

Ampair Energy Ltd

Monday, March 28, 2011 11:06 AM
  • •I run McAfee Security Suite...

1. Has another McAfee application or a Norton application ever been installed on this computer?

2. Did a McAfee free-trial or a Norton free-trial [pick one] come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft
    Monday, March 28, 2011 1:45 PM
  • Ran Windows Live Safety Scan 3 times and it seemed to find some issues but when I clicked for it to fix them...it gave a message...."The Windows OneCare safety scanner experienced an error.  Please close the scan and try again.   You can find more help in our forums.  Refer to error number 0x10600C06" ...I looked this up via searching the Microsoft sites and couldn't figure out what to do with it.  I ran it again and got the same results.  I have photos of the screens showing the results from this scan...but I don't know how to attach them to this...

Any suggestions???

Getting the error 0x10600c06 means that the OneCare Safety Scanner found an infection in an area of your system where your own user account doesn't have the authority to directly remove an infection from, or because automatically removing an infection from this location would break other system functionality.  The recycle bin, the system volume information area, mail stores, and compressed or archived locations are examples of such areas.  Cleaning these locations intelligently and manually (i.e. perhaps empty recycle bin or delete all system restore checkpoints) could be a simple solution.  Did the scan Results indicate if a specific infected location was found, and what is it? (use the 'v' expand and '^' collapse buttons on that Results window to see which locations are involved)

Example Results page screen shot in Message #2

There is no ONE solution to fixing this error.  It could involve running a scan in SAFE mode.  It could be opening a zipped file and only deleting infected compressed data components.  It could be removing the contents of the recycle bin.  It could involve going to your Outlook Express data store and deleting one email attachment, etc.  What is the fully qualified location of the infection that was found?

Since this is a security issue and you've attempted to use the OneCare Safety Scanner, you're eligible for Microsoft's no-charge support.  For information about Security updates, visit the Microsoft Virus Solution and Security Center for resources and tools to keep your PC safe and healthy. If you are having issues with installing the update itself, visit Support for Microsoft Update for resources and tools to keep your PC updated with the latest updates.

Regards, Dave
    Tuesday, April 05, 2011 7:59 PM
  • Have similar problem. Built new computer on Friday, installed fresh copy of Win7. Upgraded to IE9 and it ran great all Saturday. Overnight Win7 auto updated and now it loads pages at a snails pace. MSN.com and Amazon.com all comes up fast but all other domains load some text and just sit there with a blank screen. I would like to install another browser but Mozilla's page is so slow. Right now it is telling me 4hrs to download Firefox! when at the same time MSN and Amazon are snap fast!

I'll get back after I have installed FF4 and see if the problem is isolated IE9.

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 9:36 PM
  • @LordWeston only: Please answer all of the following diagnostic questions by number in your very next reply (no need to quote this post):

• Is my PC running the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows?
          http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/find-out-32-or-64-bit

1. Is it a Win7 64-bit computer?

2. Does the behavior persist if you start IE (32-bit) in No Add-ons mode?

=> Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet Explorer (No add-ons)

3. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings & reboot?
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Reset-Internet-Explorer-settings

4. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your subscription current?  What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?  What third-party firewall (if any)?

5. Are ALL of the following updates listed in View Installed Updates (not Update History)?

• KB2479943, KB2485376, KB2393802, KB2479628, KB2524375, KB2454826 [and possibly KB976932]

6. Does the behavior persist if you uninstall IE9, reboot twice and do NOT reinstall it?

• How do I uninstall IE9?
         http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/help/ie-9/how-do-i-install-or-uninstall-internet-explorer-9

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft
    • Proposed as answer by Jimmy409 Sunday, March 11, 2012 1:30 AM
    Wednesday, April 06, 2011 10:09 PM
  • We had to update to Adobe reader 10.1 to get adobe documents to appear in in browser mode. It seems reader 9 isnt even Windows 7 compatable. They work fine now. the hang time is something I still havent figured out.
    Friday, April 08, 2011 9:57 AM
  • FYI:

Missing or Garbled Text Printing from IE9 to Adobe PDF Printer
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2522987

Friday, April 08, 2011 7:52 PM
  • >>Does the behavior persist if you uninstall IE9, reboot twice and do NOT reinstall it?

LOL,  after uninstalling IE9 I do not experience any further problems with IE9.

But seriously I am experiencing the same problems with IE9 on Windows 7 running Norton Antivurs. For most pages, e.g. Hotmail or Bing, IE9 behaves fine and is potentially faster. However, for certain websites IE9 is very slow, whereas these sites load fine in FF4. More annoyingly is the message "the website failed to respond" as it prevents me from scrolling content that IE9 has managed to download so far. Regretfully I do not have time to provide a detailed report of all the problems I am experiencing, but I can tell you these issues are very annoying and have now switched to FF4 until I have managed to address the IE9 issues

Jaco
    Friday, April 08, 2011 9:03 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the post!

Now check if it works.

Regards,

Miya

This pretty much fixed the horrible redraw/lag issue for me in IE9.
    Friday, April 08, 2011 10:29 PM
  • Same here. My company had to revert and keep telling people not to upgrade to IE9.  Slow, and some pages and links and content never open.

Very annoyed at MS because you know they know this is a problem but they released it anyway!

Sunday, April 10, 2011 5:24 AM
  • My ie9 took about 10-15 sec. to start.Many websites took ages to display etc... I uninstalled all add-ons , uninstalled ie9 reinstalled etc. same as before.Then i took a look at my tcp-ip settings:There was a second entry in the DNS section like "192.168.122.1" which i don't know where it came from.There was also a persistent route which i deleted.Voila: ie9 starting <1 sec and all other websites starting super fast (with 8 loaded add-ons)

hope this helps

Thursday, April 28, 2011 10:16 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the post!

Now check if it works.

Regards,

Miya

Thanks, this pesky issue occurs on my work and home PCs.  I ended up uninstalling IE9 because it was useless in its slowness.  Now with the fix it works like normal and I can finally check out some of the IE9 developer tools.

Monday, May 02, 2011 8:38 PM
  • I've had all the same issues - compounded by the fact I changed to a new internet supplier the week my computer upgraded itself to IE9!! I've spent weeks getting frustrated and just turning my computer off - it's not uncommon for IE9 to take over a minute to load a single page!!! It's like I had dial-up again!

As for the fixes the windows tech suggested - Yes it works fine in safe mode - but I'm not running my computer fulltime in safe mode, sort of defeats the purpose of safe mode really.... And the box for the "Use software rendering....." is checked - and guess what, (on the 6 computers I have access to at least) you can't uncheck it! So that's also a bit of useless advice!

I believe I found the one and oly solution to this issue: Get a new browser! I'm disgusted with this product, I will not be using IE again.

Friday, June 03, 2011 10:44 AM
  • I am running IE9 fine on my work computer, but this machine has always been a Windows7 box.

At home ... however ... I upgraded my Vista box to Windows7 and upgraded to IE9 ... and started seeing slowness.  I rolled back to IE8 and after doing so the slowness worsened so that I could not open any web page or download updates.  Cheekyb71 ... I have tried other browsers (Mozilla and Chrome) ... same problem.  I rolled back to a prior system restore and can now at least open webpages but doing so is, AGAIN, slow.

It seems I may need to "nuke and pave" (format and reinstall Windows), but have the feeling this will only happen again.

I have tried the following to NO avail:

- I ran the "netsh winsock reset" and "netsh int ip reset" command lines. 

- Reset my IE options to the defaults.

- Updated and ran AVG anti-virus ... computer is clean.

- Ran MalwareBytes while in safe mode ... computer is clean.

- I plugged in an old XP laptop that NEVER had IE9 installed on it to the same internet cable ... IE8 is fast, running as expected.

- I downloaded UniBlue's SpeedUpMyPC app ... no change.

- I have added the sites I am trying to hit to my Trusted Sites.

- I can ping the websites just fine, but cannot open the pages via any Browser.

For my next trick ... I will try uninstalling and reinstalling:  AVG, MalwareBytes and SpeedUpMyPC and retest.

I'm at a complete loss here ... can you tell?

PS -- I am using a RealTek adapter.  I disabled it and re-enabled it ... no change.
    • Edited by Narfmeister Friday, June 03, 2011 2:02 PM I forgot to add something
    Friday, June 03, 2011 12:42 PM
  • As for the fixes the windows tech suggested - Yes it works fine in safe mode - but I'm not running my computer fulltime in safe mode, sort of defeats the purpose of safe mode really....

Not at all.  You tried a diagnostic.  The diagnostic worked.  Now you need to find out what the essential differences are between what you have running in safe mode versus what you have running in normal mode and then decide if you can do without whatever that is.   E.g. now you could try testing with msconfig.exe to fine tune your testing, understanding that you are still in a diagnosis phase of trying to find a resolution.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, June 03, 2011 2:18 PM
  • ...the week my computer upgraded itself to IE9!!

IE9 did not install without user (i.e., your) approval.
    Friday, June 03, 2011 4:27 PM
  • My situation is resolved.  One or more of the following resolved this for me:

- I rolled back to a prior System Restore instance

- I performed a Windows Update, but did NOT install the following updates:  CAPICOM, Realtek, IE9.

- I did not upgrade my java either, I currently still have 1.6.0_18

It worky ... I'm leaving it be.

Thanks to all who posted and replied to this thread, much appreciated

Saturday, June 04, 2011 2:24 AM
  • ...I did not upgrade my java either, I currently still have 1.6.0_18

See http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=44997 

You will find Consumer-specific support for Internet Explorer in this forum: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie

Saturday, June 04, 2011 6:38 AM
  • ...the week my computer upgraded itself to IE9!!

IE9 did not install without user (i.e., your) approval.

Actually it did in a way.... It came packaged in the weekly updates for my computer.
    Sunday, June 05, 2011 11:48 PM
  • As for the fixes the windows tech suggested - Yes it works fine in safe mode - but I'm not running my computer fulltime in safe mode, sort of defeats the purpose of safe mode really....

Not at all.  You tried a diagnostic.  The diagnostic worked.  Now you need to find out what the essential differences are between what you have running in safe mode versus what you have running in normal mode and then decide if you can do without whatever that is.   E.g. now you could try testing with msconfig.exe to fine tune your testing, understanding that you are still in a diagnosis phase of trying to find a resolution.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thanks for your opinion Robert, but do you think you can put that into English for the lesser technically able??? It was challenging enough "running the diagnostic," as you put it, in the first place; nothing obvious came up that needed to be "fixed", and the only solution I found is what I origionally posted.

And since I uninstalled IE9 I've had NO PROBLEMS.... Why go through all the headaches of trying to fix an obviously flawed product when I don't have to?

Sunday, June 05, 2011 11:49 PM
  • IE9 did not install without user (i.e., your) approval.

Actually it did in a way.... It came packaged in the weekly updates for my computer.

Windows Update may have downloaded the installer for IE9, but you had to approve the installation (agree to install it).
    Monday, June 06, 2011 12:06 AM
  • FYI - I was still seeing some slowness and found this link:  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-IE/w7itpronetworking/thread/6fba5b08-f767-4d06-b0ae-9e87afeb1ddb

Disabling the following services helped me out in my sluggish scenario:  Upgraded PC from Vista to Windows 7

- Function Discovery Resource Publication

- Function Discovery Provider Host

IMPORTANT:  My single PC, at home, is NOT on a network ... so these services are not currently needed by me.  Apparently, Vista has these turned on by default; whereas Win7 has them disabled by default.  So my upgrade to Win7 did not disable these.  

Side Bar:  I'm still looking into why Silverlight upgrades fail on my machine, but that's a different thread.  It is a permissions error, and I have UAC turned way down ... tis a mind-bender at the moment.

Thursday, July 07, 2011 1:46 PM
  • As documented elsewhere.... go into IE - Tools - Internet Options - Connections - Lan Settings and uncheck "Automaticly Detect Settings".  No idea why this increases startup time by 10+ secs -- but this does fix the problem.
    • Proposed as answer by jayvaughan08 Sunday, August 05, 2012 6:48 PM
    Saturday, December 31, 2011 9:59 PM
  • We've been having an issue where IE9 is slow to open specific intranet sites... The check box "do not use proxy for local addresses was checked, but it was still slow...

The solution we came up with is that we added the address for the intranet page in the proxy exceptions:

start IE --> tools --> internet options --> connections --> lan settings --> advanced --> enter the address of the site in "do not use proxy server for..."

Friday, April 06, 2012 9:33 AM
  • Stop

Stop using Norton, get MS security Essentials it is the best. I have been using since it became available and all past problems related to antivirus/malware etc. are gone. Do not use the lastest Java update without much research (7- update 7) cause many problems with IE 9.

Monday, September 10, 2012 12:47 AM
  • The solution that worked for me: I went to "Local area connection properties" and disabled "Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)". Then pressed OK and restarted IE. Now IE is fast. Previously it worked fast on "msn.com" but really slowly on "google.com" and other random sites.

The solutions that did not work:

Reseting IE settings.

Disabling IE plugins.

Running disk cleanup.

Runing MS Security Essentials scan.

Rebooting in Safe Mode.

Enabling/disabling accelerated graphics.

Starting IE with fingers crossed.

Rebooting 13 times.

Sacrificing a lamb.

• Proposed as answer by PaulDotNet Tuesday, September 11, 2012 6:10 PM
    Monday, September 10, 2012 7:09 PM
  • I had this problem loading Yahoo mail (clicking to view message) and the checking the use software rendering worked like a charm.  Thanks!
    Sunday, September 30, 2012 1:55 AM
  • This is different than most I have read but it worked for me running Windows 7 Enterprise and IE9

Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit – How to fix Internet Explorer 9 – Slow Loading Web Pages Issue

Under Manage Add-ons

Turn off Shockwave Flash Object

Instantant slow loading pages starting working and I can go to links quickly

While that add-on is disabled, I reinstalled/updated Adobe Flash

Went back into Manage Add-ons

Turned Shockwave Flash Object back on

And IE 9 is still working good. J

• Proposed as answer by Hatster72 Wednesday, October 03, 2012 4:50 PM
    Wednesday, October 03, 2012 4:49 PM