none
IE9 Links Open Empty Page

Question

• I have a Dell laptop running Win 7 64bit installed at the factory.  About 2 weeks ago IE9 stopped working properly.  Whenever I try to open a link that opens a new page, I just get a blank page and tab.  If I open a link that opens in the same page, it will work.  The problem occurs even in safe mode.  I tried resetting IE9 including deleting personal settings, but the problem remains.  I uninstalled IE9 then reinstalled it, but still the same problem.  Disenabling all ad-ons does not work.  I was going to do a system restore but only one date was available, and this date was after the date of the onset of the problem.  Downloading service pack 1 did not resolve the problem.  I’ve tried other things offered up in my Google searches, but nothing works.  This is proving to be one of the most intractable problems I’ve ever had with a computer.
    Saturday, June 11, 2011 10:43 PM

Answers

• This is for Birdwing.  I’m the original poster.  I called Dell, which actually provides support for IE9 if you purchased the OS from them and if it still is under warranty.  I told them what I did and they said there was nothing else to do and recommended using another browser such as Firefox or Chrome.  Either that or reinstall the whole system, which, of course, would take hours.  After trying uninstalling and reinstalling IE9 yet again with my antivirus off (by the way, IE8 had the same problem), the simple link problem grew into a full-fledged crashing of the computer if I tried to do anything.  I then called Microsoft which, much to their credit, did not charge me and eventually resolved the issue after being on the phone for over an hour to their support group in India.  You may have the same problem but a different cause, but I hope this helps you.  We did a clean boot and multiple other computer calisthenics, but what it came down to was the eventual realization that I was using the 32 bit version, despite the fact that I would install the 64 bit version of IE9.  I would always open IE using the task bar icon which was a shortcut to the 32 bit version.  Dell had installed both versions and I would always unknowingly open the 32 bit version.  When I opened the 64 bit version, the problem disappeared.  Check the version you have open (I’m sure you know this, but clink on the question mark at the top right then About IE) and the shortcuts you use to open it, whether they be on the desktop, start menu, task bar etc.  I deleted the 32 bit version and created new shortcuts.  If this is not the cause of your problem, I suggest you call MS support at 800-936-5700.  Good luck.

• Marked as answer by rcir88 Monday, June 13, 2011 12:22 AM
    Monday, June 13, 2011 12:19 AM

All replies

• I have a Dell laptop running Win 7 64bit installed at the factory.  About 2 weeks ago IE9 stopped working properly.  Whenever I try to open a link that opens a new page, I just get a blank page and tab.  If I open a link that opens in the same page, it will work.  The problem occurs even in safe mode.  I tried resetting IE9 including deleting personal settings, but the problem remains.  I uninstalled IE9 then reinstalled it, but still the same problem.  Disenabling all ad-ons does not work.  I was going to do a system restore but only one date was available, and this date was after the date of the onset of the problem.  Downloading service pack 1 did not resolve the problem.  I’ve tried other things offered up in my Google searches, but nothing works.  This is proving to be one of the most intractable problems I’ve ever had with a computer.

This is EXACTLY the problem I am having.  I too have a Dell 64-bit, upgraded to Windows 7 in January and recently installed IE9.  It was working fine up until this morning when I found I was unable to get past the first page of an online game.  In searching the internet for a solution I then found that I was unable to click on any links that would take me to another page - as you mentioned, all that came up was the tab and a blank page.  Thinking it was a java issue I uninstalled and reinstalled it, deleted my java and browser cache, but haven't reinstalled IE9 - and if it didn't work for you, I am reluctant to try it before someone submits an alternate solution.  Hope we don't have to wait too long! 
    • Marked as answer by rcir88 Monday, June 13, 2011 12:20 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by rcir88 Monday, June 13, 2011 12:21 AM
    Sunday, June 12, 2011 5:13 AM
  • I’ve tried other things offered up in my Google searches, but nothing works.

So you have probably rejected some "things" found that way too?   Try opening a new user account, for example?

---

Sunday, June 12, 2011 2:49 PM
  • The problem exists for all users on the computer.

Sunday, June 12, 2011 5:13 PM
  • This is for Birdwing.  I’m the original poster.  I called Dell, which actually provides support for IE9 if you purchased the OS from them and if it still is under warranty.  I told them what I did and they said there was nothing else to do and recommended using another browser such as Firefox or Chrome.  Either that or reinstall the whole system, which, of course, would take hours.  After trying uninstalling and reinstalling IE9 yet again with my antivirus off (by the way, IE8 had the same problem), the simple link problem grew into a full-fledged crashing of the computer if I tried to do anything.  I then called Microsoft which, much to their credit, did not charge me and eventually resolved the issue after being on the phone for over an hour to their support group in India.  You may have the same problem but a different cause, but I hope this helps you.  We did a clean boot and multiple other computer calisthenics, but what it came down to was the eventual realization that I was using the 32 bit version, despite the fact that I would install the 64 bit version of IE9.  I would always open IE using the task bar icon which was a shortcut to the 32 bit version.  Dell had installed both versions and I would always unknowingly open the 32 bit version.  When I opened the 64 bit version, the problem disappeared.  Check the version you have open (I’m sure you know this, but clink on the question mark at the top right then About IE) and the shortcuts you use to open it, whether they be on the desktop, start menu, task bar etc.  I deleted the 32 bit version and created new shortcuts.  If this is not the cause of your problem, I suggest you call MS support at 800-936-5700.  Good luck.

• Marked as answer by rcir88 Monday, June 13, 2011 12:22 AM
    Monday, June 13, 2011 12:19 AM
  • This problem is not due to using 32-bit IE9 in a 64-bit OS. Even da users with 32-bit IE9 installed on 32-bit Windows 7 is facing da same problem.

But, unfortunately da solution for dis problem is not found yet.I'm experiencing da same problem on my samsung lap with windows 7. And i followed lot of steps as stated on Microsoft support center & many other sites...with which i found no results.

Try helping me if anybody knows da solution for dis problem.

Saturday, February 18, 2012 12:17 PM
  • This is the fix to IE8 but it has worked to my IE9 -

Even running as administrator you will get an access denied error - But it worked..

Refer to the link In reply to OnyXxL post on November 10, 2009: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie8-windows_7/links-in-will-not-open-a-new-window-or-tab-in/e312e580-1cbc-496b-8c6b-b69b8535a7bb?page=2

Hi,

I followed a tip given by Pbell on this forum. Originally, it was made to resolve problems on IE8 32 bits when you use a 32 bits OS. I changed "%ProgramFiles(x86)%" var, and now my issue is resolved for IE8 32 bits on my Windows 7 64 bits. Please try it, and tell me if everything work for you.

For Win 7 64 bits :

1 - Create a new notepad document and paste this text :

@echo off
    echo.
    echo IEREREG Version 1.07 for IE8 27.03.2009
    echo by Kai Schaetzl
    http://iefaq.info
    echo installs and registers (if suitable) all DLLs known to be used by IE8.
    echo should only take a few seconds, but please be patient
    echo.
    REM ******************************
    echo registering IE files
    REM IE files (= part of setup)
    regsvr32 /s /i browseui.dll
    REM regsvr32 /s /i browseui.dll,NI (unnecessary)
    regsvr32 /s corpol.dll
    regsvr32 /s dxtmsft.dll
    regsvr32 /s dxtrans.dll
    REM simple HTML Mail API
    regsvr32 /s "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\internet explorer\hmmapi.dll"
    REM group policy snap-in
    regsvr32 /s ieaksie.dll
    REM smart screen
    regsvr32 /s ieapfltr.dll
    REM ieak branding
    regsvr32 /s iedkcs32.dll
    REM dev tools
    regsvr32 /s "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\internet explorer\iedvtool.dll"
    regsvr32 /s iepeers.dll
    REM Symptom: IE8 closes immediately on launch, missing from IE7
    regsvr32 /s "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\internet explorer\ieproxy.dll"
    REM no install point anymore
    REM regsvr32 /s /i iesetup.dll
    REM no reg point anymore
    REM regsvr32 /s imgutil.dll
    regsvr32 /s /i /n inetcpl.cpl
    REM regsvr32 /s /i inseng.dll
    regsvr32 /s jscript.dll
    REM license manager
    regsvr32 /s licmgr10.dll
    REM regsvr32 /s msapsspc.dll
    REM regsvr32 /s mshta.exe
    REM VS debugger
    regsvr32 /s msdbg2.dll
    REM regsvr32 /s /i mshtml.dll
    regsvr32 /s mshtmled.dll
    regsvr32 /s msident.dll
    REM no reg point anymore
    REM regsvr32 /s msrating.dll
    REM multimedia timer
    regsvr32 /s mstime.dll
    REM regsvr32 /s /i occache.dll
    REM process debug manager
    regsvr32 /s "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\internet explorer\pdm.dll"
    REM no reg point anymore
    REM regsvr32 /s pngfilt.dll
    REM regsvr32 /s /i setupwbv.dll (not there anymore!)
    regsvr32 /s tdc.ocx
    regsvr32 /s /i urlmon.dll
    REM regsvr32 /s /i urlmon.dll,NI,HKLM
    regsvr32 /s vbscript.dll
    REM VML renderer
    regsvr32 /s "%CommonProgramFiles%\microsoft shared\vgx\vgx.dll"
    REM regsvr32 /s /i webcheck.dll
    regsvr32 /s /i /n wininet.dll
    echo registering system files
    REM additional system dlls known to be used by IE
    REM added 11.05.2006 Symptom: Add-Ons-Manager menu entry is present but nothing happens
    regsvr32 /s extmgr.dll
    REM added 12.05.2006 Symptom: Javascript links don't work (Robin Walker) .NET hub file
    regsvr32 /s mscoree.dll
    REM added 23.03.2009 Symptom: Find on this page is blank
    regsvr32 /s oleacc.dll
    REM added 24.03.2009 Symptom: Printing problems, open in new window
    regsvr32 /s ole32.dll
    REM mscorier.dll
    REM mscories.dll
    REM Symptom: open in new tab/window not working
    regsvr32 /s actxprxy.dll
    regsvr32 /s asctrls.ocx
    regsvr32 /s cdfview.dll
    regsvr32 /s comcat.dll
    regsvr32 /s /i /n comctl32.dll
    regsvr32 /s cryptdlg.dll
    regsvr32 /s /i /n digest.dll
    regsvr32 /s dispex.dll
    regsvr32 /s hlink.dll
    regsvr32 /s mlang.dll
    regsvr32 /s mobsync.dll
    regsvr32 /s /i msieftp.dll
    REM regsvr32 /s msnsspc.dll #no entry point
    regsvr32 /s msr2c.dll
    regsvr32 /s msxml.dll
    regsvr32 /s oleaut32.dll
    REM regsvr32 /s plugin.ocx #no entry point
    regsvr32 /s proctexe.ocx
    REM plus DllRegisterServerEx ExA ExW ... ?
    regsvr32 /s /i scrobj.dll
    REM shdocvw.dll hasn't been updated for IE7 and IE8, it still registers itself for the Windows Internet Controls
    regsvr32 /s /i shdocvw.dll
    regsvr32 /s sendmail.dll
    REM PKI/crypto functionality
    REM initpki can take very long to run and is rarely a problem
    REM if there are problems with crypto, SSL, certificates
    REM remove the three following REMs from the lines
    REM echo We are almost done except one crypto file
    REM echo but this will take very long, be patient!
    REM regsvr32 /s /i:A initpki.dll
    REM tabbed browser, do at the end, why originally with /n ?
    regsvr32 /s /i ieframe.dll
    echo correcting bugs in the registry
    REM do some corrective work
    REM Symptom: new tabs page cannot display content because it cannot access the controls (added 27. 3.2009)
    REM This is a result of a bug in shdocvw.dll (see above), probably only on Windows XP
    reg add "HKCR\TypeLib\{EAB22AC0-30C1-11CF-A7EB-0000C05BAE0B}\1.1\0\win32" /ve /t REG_SZ /d %systemroot%\system32\ieframe.dll /f
    echo all tasks have been finished
    echo.
    pause

2 - Close all your IE windows and processes.
    3 - Save your document on your Desktop by example, with the .bat extension. Right-click on it, and select "Run as administrator".
    4 - Test if this tip resolved your issue by openning IE. If you use a Windows 32 bits version, please replace%ProgramFiles(x86)% by %ProgramFiles% in your .bat file.

OnyXxL

• Proposed as answer by Tunk Owens Monday, April 09, 2012 3:56 PM
    Monday, April 09, 2012 3:56 PM
  • Thanks for your offer solution, but it did not work. I change to use Firefox and the problem is solved.
    Saturday, April 28, 2012 2:16 PM
  • Regarding your batch file...................

This worked with a 64bit machine, but not a 32bit.  Is there something I should be changing??

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 7:02 PM
  • Is there something I should be changing??

Yes.   There are different scripts for the different environments.

http://iefaq.info/index.php?action=artikel&cat=42&id=133&artlang=en

<quote>

Recently (after Windows 7 launch) there have been many reports on problems with 32bit IE8 on Windows 7 64bit, that can be corrected with the ie8-rereg.32-on-64.cmd script. You should be aware that this is not a bug in Windows or IE. These problems are created by not-uptodate programs that write wrong values in the registry where they should not write at all.
    </quote>

But most important of all:  you must do any regsvr32 commands under an elevated cmd window; otherwise there will be much less repair effect.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, November 23, 2012 6:36 PM