none
Geolocation wrong in IE9 but not other browsers

Question

• Hello,

I have noticed that apon using the Geolocation test on the test drive site, that my location according to Internet Explorer 9 is off. I don't just mean off, I mean WAY off. It has me down in Durham, England when in fact it should be in Scotland.

http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/HTML5/Geolocation/Default.html

Apon using it in Google Chrome it gets my location to the house. Quite litterly, but its way off in IE9. I know there is something called "default location" or something but I never set anything up involving that so I doubt that comes into play.

Whats going on ?

Thanks

- James

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 9:24 PM

All replies

• Hi,

From http://dev.w3.org/geo/api/spec-source.html, I find the following document:

The Geolocation API defines a high-level interface to location information associated only with the device hosting the implementation, such as latitude and longitude. The API itself is agnostic of the underlying location information sources. Common sources of location information include Global Positioning System (GPS) and location inferred from network signals such as IP address, RFID, WiFi and Bluetooth MAC addresses, and GSM/CDMA cell IDs, as well as user input. No guarantee is given that the API returns the device's actual location.”

From my understanding of the Geolocation spec, it can scan neighboring WiFi networks to infer location. You can test this by disabling and enabling your WiFi adapter.

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, April 18, 2011 10:25 AM
  • Sorry if it seems rude, but that far from helps. I'm not computer illiterate I do understand what the Geolocation API is, but the fact is, IE9 doesn't seem to be using it as good as Chrome.
    Friday, April 29, 2011 9:23 PM
  • I agree with James. your answer is a cop out. I'm seeing NO result from IE 9 for the geolocation, and I'm in the States (Denver Colorado). Google Chrome is placing me directly at my home.

Please fix this.

Friday, May 13, 2011 4:18 AM
  • I agree with James. And the same happens to me. GeoLocation works fine on Firefox, it shows the street where I am right now, but it doesn't work at all on IE9, I wonder why, since Microsoft claimed IE9 already supports it.
    Friday, May 13, 2011 3:33 PM
  • I'm bumping this because I would really like to see an answer, and frankly the support I am getting here is awful. I don't want to see just a generic answer, I am computer literate I do understand computer talk. There is no reason why this happens because the API is based on the exact same thing that Firefox and Google run, its a W3C API correct?

Here is a screen shot to show what I mean. On the left is IE9 and on the right is Chrome. Chrome can locate me straight down to my street yet IE9 gets the nearest city to me? A completely random location.

http://i.imgur.com/TWeKX.jpg

Sunday, June 19, 2011 2:12 AM
  • Browser geolocation is unreliable for some reasons. Users may have wireless disabled, or there can be very few wireless networks around that may fail to retreive a good location. As in this example, IE fails to give the best location. 

Another problem is that user have to accept to share the location with your server. I bet that 50% of your first time user won't do that. Instead of this, you can use geolocation by IP,. Here is  an API service that you can use: http://www.ipgp.net/developer-tools/

Friday, February 17, 2012 2:56 PM
  • Hi,

Please read googles NEW privacy documentation.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Friday, February 17, 2012 9:49 PM
  • Google and FF work because they use the Google location database for geolocation information. IE9 uses the Microsoft Location database. The MS data is vastly inferior and appears to be a stale IP lookup and nothing more. We're seeking a workaround for IE9 users that provides the same excellent results as Chrome and FF.
    Sunday, July 08, 2012 4:08 PM
  • I am seeing the issue of geo location showing up over a hundred miles away in IE9, IE10, and IE11. Did you ever find a solution?

Thank you!

• Edited by Platt_A Thursday, January 16, 2014 6:42 PM
    Wednesday, January 15, 2014 1:00 AM