none
Cannot install IE 10 after removing Internet Explorer 11

Question

• My biggest client is completely down because IE11 cannot correctly uninstall.

Internet Explorer 11 is not compatible with the medical EMR application and the Dell iDrac remote support programs that my clients use.

I have uninstalled IE 11, rebooted and attempted to install IE 9 and IE 10 but windows says that the program is already installed. The program is missing from the IE Program directory, there is no IE icon and searches for it on the machine cannot find the application. 

There is no way that I can find to get IE working. I need a technical note to cleanup the registry or better yet a Fix from microsoft.

Please help!

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 10:44 PM

Answers

• Selecting the Installed updates from the Programs and features control panel, shows your latest INSTALLED IE version... clicking the Uninstall button the removes the current version and replaces it with the previously installed version.

Start>Control Panel>Programes and Features>Installed Updates.

Rob^_^

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 1:26 AM
  • Hi,

Rob shared a good suggestion.

In addition, you may try remove IE 11 via command line (Win + R, open CMD):

FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*11.*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /quiet /norestart"

Please Note: Uninstalling IE11 will automatically restore the previous version (i.e., IE10, IE9 or IE8). To stop Automatic Updates from installing IE11 again, you will need to hide it.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Blair Deng

Blair Deng
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, December 12, 2013 2:18 AM

All replies

The fix is to uninstall IE 11 in Safe Mode because the uninstallation for IE 11 does not work properly:

1. Run MSCONFIG, choose BOOT, and click on SAFE MODE (tick networking if you need it)

Save the settings and reboot in safe mode 

2. Uninstall IE 11 from the control panel programs and features

- Uncheck it in 'installed updates'

- Uninstall it in 'Windows Features'

Reboot again

3. Install IE 10

4. Change MSCONFIG to boot in Normal Mode

Reboot again

5. Open Internet Explorer, open about internet explorer, uncheck box to automatically install new versions

6. Open Windows updates, check for new updates, review the updates

Right click on updates that say IE11 and choose HIDE so the update is not installed again next time.

Hope this helps!

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 12:53 AM
  • Selecting the Installed updates from the Programs and features control panel, shows your latest INSTALLED IE version... clicking the Uninstall button the removes the current version and replaces it with the previously installed version.

Start>Control Panel>Programes and Features>Installed Updates.

Rob^_^

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 1:26 AM
  • Hi,

Rob shared a good suggestion.

In addition, you may try remove IE 11 via command line (Win + R, open CMD):

FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*11.*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /quiet /norestart"

Please Note: Uninstalling IE11 will automatically restore the previous version (i.e., IE10, IE9 or IE8). To stop Automatic Updates from installing IE11 again, you will need to hide it.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Blair Deng

Blair Deng
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, December 12, 2013 2:18 AM