IE on Vista cannot display web-page

Question

•  

I am unable to access internet, even though I have internet connection.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

System specs ->

- HP Pavilion laptop, AMD Turion 64x2, 2GB ram

- Vista Home Premium

- IE 7.0

- Use wireless network [but fails when physically connected too]

Symtpoms ->

- Can access internet through IE with the factory install (that came with the laptop)

- IE connection fails when any update is installed

History ->

- bought laptop in mar / apr 07; IE works fine;

- a few days later, installed updates; IE fails to connect to internet [network connection is fine] as well as to the router [physically and wireless]

- Reverted back to factory installation; carefully avoided "updates" until now; IE has been working great

- Recently, inadvertently, updates got installed; IE stops connecting to internet as well as to the router [in both wireless / physically connected modes]

- Now, I am in no mood to go back to factory installation, and would like to understand and solve the problem instead.

Attempted diagnostics ->

- windows network diagnostics is unable to identify any error and says "no errors"

- "ipconfig" gives me a valid IP address, showing the addresses of my router / gateway, DNS servers, etc.; "ping" an internet address, say www.microsoft.com, succeeds; "tracert" is able to show the path, to my router / gateway, service provider, and across multiple other places to finally the IP address of www.microsoft.com; so, the network connection itself is working fine.

- I also have a thick client application, connecting to a server on the internet using a proprietary protocol that works well [this has been working ever since Apr 07, and for close to two years on previous XP systems; so, this could not be the culprit]; confirms that the network itself is working fine.

- I tried starting IE without any add-ons, as an "Administrator", started vista with basic services - it all results in the same way; network works fine, but IE cannot display the web page

- Windows Event Manager does not have any error message

Can anyone help please?
    Friday, November 30, 2007 8:15 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can try the following steps to clean up temporary Internet information and reload default Internet Explorer settings:

Step 1: Clean up temporary Internet information
    ====================================
    1.1. Click the Start Button, type "inetcpl.cpl" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

1.2. Click "Delete" under "Browsing History".

1.3. Click "Delete all", check the option "Also delete files and settings stored by add-ons.", and then click Yes.

1.4. Click Close.

Step 2: Reload default settings
    ========================
    2.1. Switch to the "Security" tab, select "Reset all zones to default level" if it is not grayed out.

2.2. Clear the "Trusted sites" and "Restricted sites". To do so:

a. Highlight "Trusted sites" and "Restricted sites", click the "Sites" button.
      b. Click the "Remove" button to clear all websites listed. 

2.3. Switch to the "Privacy tab", click "Default" if it is not grayed out.

2.4. Switch to the "Advanced" tab, click the "Restore advanced settings" button and then deselect "Enable third-party browser extensions".

2.5. Then click "OK" to quit.

Besides, have you installed any 3-party firewall or anti-virus software? If the steps above cannot help, try to uninstall the software to see if any software conflict exists. You can also try to uninstall IE7 and then reinstall it as a last option.

Hope it helps.

Sincerely,

Yog Li

Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, December 03, 2007 9:31 AM