none
Internet Explorer 9 favorites in list show as Windows Media Player files (.url) and opening with Windows Media Player. How can I correct this?

Question

• On opening General info for favorites, my Favorites list shows Type of file: as Windows Media Player files (.url) and Opens with: Windows Media Player. I tried the Change button to correct this, but was unsuccessful. Hoe do I correct this? I am running Windows 7 Home Premium.
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 9:35 PM

All replies

• You will find Consumer-specific support for Internet Explorer in this forum: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

Thursday, May 24, 2012 11:31 PM
  • Hi,

Please check your file association to make sure the file URL is associated with IE.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/change-which-programs-windows-uses-by-default

Juke Chou

TechNet Community Support

Monday, May 28, 2012 8:39 AM
  • OK, I checked and changed all favorites to associate with IE except for those I knew to be Media Player files. I probably wasn't clear and explained fully what I was trying to do. All the favorites had been and still work correctly and go directly to the desired site, but I also wanted the appropriate icon for the specific website to show instead of the music note icon for Media Player that showed as the icon for each and every favorite in the list. Now, some website specific icons show, and the non-descript IE "world globe" icon or IE "e" on a scrolled sheet of paper icon shows. Well, it's better than before.

Thanks,

Sandpd

Wayne Moy

Monday, May 28, 2012 8:43 PM
  • Hi,

Do you mean the favorites URL icon? You could change it through its properties, please check. Normally, the icon is this website's favicon.

Juke Chou

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 6:27 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, the icons listed on the pull-down menu under Favorites. I tried changing the icons through properties, but the only icons listed to select from are the "stock" icons from IE. I found a partial solution by visiting each favorite site one at a time, then delete each favorite on the list one at a time and then re-add it to the list. Sometimes the site specific icon will then be shown.

Thanks,

Wayne Moy

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 4:00 PM
  • Apparently, my partial solution is also only temporary for some of my Favorites. After a few days they somehow change/revert back to the "stock" globe icon from IE, e.g., Facebook icon, and Dictionary.com. This is a mystery and frustrating, as I suspect it is some kind of coding that is causing this behavior, for which I know nothing about.

Thanks,

Wayne Moy

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 3:52 PM
  • Hi,

According to your description, seems an 3rd party application changed them. Maybe you could try Clean Boot, then test whether the issue persists. Please keep monitoring.

Juke Chou

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 2:02 AM