none
IE8/9 says every file "contained a file and was deleted"

Question

• I have multiple computers on my domain that will not download files or attachments in IE8 and 9.  It says "<filename> contained a virus and was deleted".  Everything will download fine in Chrome and Firefox and these files do not contain viruses - it happens on every file I try to download, or every attachment in all emails.

Is there a setting in IE that is causing this - it is happening on about 30 computers out of 100 in our domain - all with the same group policy settings for IE.

We are clueless and frustrated to figure this out and ready to just roll out Chrome to everybody to fix the problem.  Any help would be appreciated.

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 1:46 PM

Answers

• For Firefox, I ended up following the instructions on Mozilla's knowledgebase: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unable_to_save_or_download_files

under the section labelled Disable virus scanning in Firefox preferences - Windows

I'm using a free version of AVG, which I believe was deleting the files once they finished downloading.  The steps in the knowledgebase seemed to make the problem go away.

Sunday, October 02, 2011 6:01 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the post!

Based on your situation, I recommend you follow the following step by step to narrow down this issue. (Temporarily disable the firewall/anti-virus software, perform it on a problematic computer, if the first step doesn't work then go to next one)

1. Open Internet Explorer 9, click Safety - SmartScreen Filter, choose Turn Off SmartScreen Filter.

2. Click Start, input Internet Explorer in the search box, run Internet Explorer (no add-ons)

3. Reset the Internet Explorer. Click Tools - Internet Options - Advanced - Reset

4. Try a  Clean Boot to check if there's any third party software conflicts.

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, April 08, 2011 8:00 AM
  • I finally managed to solve this problem.  I had a look through my start up processes and programs using spybot search and destroy.  It flagged on of the entries as suspicious.  I removed it and since then have had no problems with IE or firefox.  I don't know what it was, it didn't seem to behave like a virus as the only thing affected were downloads but it's gone!  I can't remember all the details, I wish I had have written down what it was now.  But download spybot and get it to check the startup entries for you.  From memory one of the entries had no description which struck me as odd at the time.  Hopefully that helps someone out there fix this issue for you.
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 4:24 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Even I had the same problem when I installed IE9 beta and RC versions. Once I installed the IE9 final release version, that error was automatically discorded and I am able to download all the files through IE.

Even for IE8 install the latest update.

But still I don't know the exact problem, but after updating to the latest version it is working for me.

-AJ

Aloysius Jegan
    Thursday, April 07, 2011 4:10 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the post!

Based on your situation, I recommend you follow the following step by step to narrow down this issue. (Temporarily disable the firewall/anti-virus software, perform it on a problematic computer, if the first step doesn't work then go to next one)

1. Open Internet Explorer 9, click Safety - SmartScreen Filter, choose Turn Off SmartScreen Filter.

2. Click Start, input Internet Explorer in the search box, run Internet Explorer (no add-ons)

3. Reset the Internet Explorer. Click Tools - Internet Options - Advanced - Reset

4. Try a  Clean Boot to check if there's any third party software conflicts.

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, April 08, 2011 8:00 AM
  • I'm having the exact same problem, but it's also occuring with firefox.  I've given up and gone with google chrome as it is not affected by this problem.  I've disabled all the add-ons, run in safe mode, reset all the settings but all to no avail.  Good bye internet explorer.  All my downloads would get to 99% and then just disappear.  If wasn't until IE9 actually gave me a message that all the files contained viruses that I finally knew why.  Still cant fix it though.
    • Proposed as answer by Roderic1026 Sunday, October 02, 2011 5:58 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Roderic1026 Sunday, October 02, 2011 5:58 PM
    Sunday, April 10, 2011 7:29 AM
  • I am having this exact problem. With the exact same symptoms as keys3429 - Firefox has it's downloads deleted too. I've been able to get around it on FF by using DTA download manager. However the odd thing, even with safe mode, clean boot and no-add ons, with security set to low, it still manages to delete any file as a virus.

As above, Chrome and Opera work fine.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 4:53 PM
  • I finally managed to solve this problem.  I had a look through my start up processes and programs using spybot search and destroy.  It flagged on of the entries as suspicious.  I removed it and since then have had no problems with IE or firefox.  I don't know what it was, it didn't seem to behave like a virus as the only thing affected were downloads but it's gone!  I can't remember all the details, I wish I had have written down what it was now.  But download spybot and get it to check the startup entries for you.  From memory one of the entries had no description which struck me as odd at the time.  Hopefully that helps someone out there fix this issue for you.
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 4:24 AM
  • For Firefox, I ended up following the instructions on Mozilla's knowledgebase: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unable_to_save_or_download_files

under the section labelled Disable virus scanning in Firefox preferences - Windows

I'm using a free version of AVG, which I believe was deleting the files once they finished downloading.  The steps in the knowledgebase seemed to make the problem go away.

Sunday, October 02, 2011 6:01 PM
  • I was also using the free version of AVG, but mine was a startup program in the windows registry. After removing the entry I was able to download with no problems in both Firefox and Internet explorer.  The fix above only works for firefox.
    • Edited by keys3429 Sunday, October 02, 2011 6:07 PM
    Sunday, October 02, 2011 6:05 PM
  • IT WORKED!!! Finally I found the correct way to solve it! I had the same problem, I couldn't download anything from internet from Internet Explorer 9 (I even disinstalled it and tried IE8, but there was always the same problem) and from Firefox. Chrome instead worked normally. I disinstalled all the latest security windows updates, but nothing changed. I had AVG free, I disinstalled it, but, again, nothing changed. I tried all the antivirus, antimalware and I couldn't find anything. At the end I found this post, I launched the System Startup Tool (from the advanced settings of Spybot Search & Destroy) and I found that despite I had disinstalled AVG I still had 3 entries in the list:

Located: HK_LM:Run, AVG_TRAY (DISABLED)
    command: "C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG2012\avgtray.exe"
       file: C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG2012\avgtray.exe

Located: HK_LM:RunOnce, AvgUninstallURL (DISABLED)
    command: cmd.exe /c start http://www.avg.com/ww.special-uninstallation-feedback-appf?lic=NFVZOVgtTlNWVkwtTzRCWlEtUUlNQ0wtUVREQ0gtNElKTUg"&"inst=NzctODIwODY2MTgwLUZMMTArMS1GT0krMTEtRERUKzg4MTktREQxMEYrMS1TVDEwRkFQUCsxLUYxME0xMkROKzEtVEJOKzEtVTEwKzEtU1QxMkZPSSsxLUYxMFVEKzMtRVVMQSsxLVNUMTJGQVBQKzEtU1RGMTBNMTJETSsx"&"prod=90"&"ver=2012.0.1831"&"mid=551dba8df42847d1b5f3c593afeac8f5-9477d55b79ebe1f3c510d531d59a9f1f72e839ca

Located: HK_CU:RunOnce, spchecker (DISABLED)
      where: S-1-5-21-2457444324-1149154587-139019053-1000...
    command: "C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG10\Notification\SPCheckerTE.exe"
       file: C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG10\Notification\SPCheckerTE.exe

I disabled them, I deleted the AVG folder in  C:\Program Files (still there despite disinstallation) and I could download again from IE9. No more Safety scan messages of the IE Downloader telling me that the file had a virus inside (whatever the file was)...

Thank to this post by the way. No where else I could find the solution.

Saturday, October 22, 2011 8:22 PM
  • For users using AVG free. And if this happened after a AVG upgrade, then THIS is easyest the solution:

Download the AVG remover from http://www.avg.com/ww-en/utilities
    Chose if you have 64 or 32 bit.

- Run AVG remove tool
    - Restart PC
    - Check IE now.. (Careful since no antivirus is installed)

If you can download again, all works :)

Install new AVG free, and downloads still works :)

Tuesday, November 01, 2011 8:07 AM
  • I had the same problem and had upgraded from AVG10 to AVG2012. I just found out that AVG10 was not uninstalled during the upgrade, so the two conflicted. To download files properly again I just deleted the AVG10 folder from C:/Proogram Files/AVG.
    • Proposed as answer by reecei Monday, November 28, 2011 7:22 PM
    Monday, November 28, 2011 7:22 PM
  • THANK YOU! I uninstalled AVG10 folder (leaving AVG12 intact), and that totally fixed my download problem!

I also had previously done the AVG remover route, install, uninstall, install to no avail.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 6:37 PM
  • ME TOO! Windows 7 system, recently upgraded from AVG10 to AVG2012. All downloads getting deleted in IE9 and Firefox.

THANKS FOR YOUR SUGGESTIONS!

Like you, I found AVG10 folder still in Program Files folder. Tried to delete, but 2 files were in use, so system would not allow me to delete the whole folder. Rebooted into Safe Mode and was able to delete them.

After that, the downloading problem went away!

It seems like a fault of the AVG installer that it does not properly uninstall the previous version. I'll try to tell AVG.

• Proposed as answer by MCStephen Saturday, December 24, 2011 12:50 AM
    Saturday, December 24, 2011 12:50 AM
  • A huge thank you for this SOLUTION reecei! This has been one of the more annoying issues I've run across and never really could find a straight-forward answer to this question until I read your post. Sure enough, in my case I had AVG9 and AVG10 directories in my C:/Program Files/AVG alongside my AVG2012. 

If you are running AVG2012 and your symptoms are simply "*.exe contained a file and was deleted" please do not waste your time running AV or spyware scans, disabling anti-virus, resetting IE, or any other myriad of suggestions out there without first looking for previous versions of the program in C:/Program Files/AVG.

As reecei points out, a simple deletion of the previous versions folders may be all that is necessary to put you right back in business!

Thursday, January 05, 2012 1:13 PM
  • This solution fixed my problem after chasing it around for 3 hours.  I found it also deletes any *.msi files that I tried to download..  I hope AVG figures this out and publishes a bulletin so others don't have to find this the hard way.  Better yet, may they will adjust there installation program to delete the old versions of the software.  I have used the paid version of AVG on this system as well as 8 other machines for 3 releases.  Never noticed any problems until I installed AVG 2012 2 weeks ago

Thanks for the help!!

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 5:46 AM
  •            To reecei

You are right on the money for this fix. Simple and it worked. This was my problem and I am glad I read down to your post because the others would have had me changing all kinds of crap..

Thanks a lot

Spiffy

Saturday, March 17, 2012 1:17 AM
  • Deleting the AVG folder in Program Files did it for me - I used to really love AVG but this uninstall problem is pretty bad. Thanks all - that was not easy to find a solution to.
    Thursday, March 29, 2012 10:21 PM
  • Removing AVG 2010 files worked a treat. Thank-you for a simple solution. Though it took me all day  to find this thread and solution. Nice

Monday, October 01, 2012 6:44 AM
  • Thank you so much.  This was exactly it for me, too.  I hope this information gets out more.  It took me a while to find it (searching through google).  Anyway, I had to delete the AVG 2010 directory as well.  I have Windows 7 and had to delete it from "Program Files (x86)".  First, I checked "Programs and Features" from the control panel, but only AVG 2012 showed up, so only deleting the directory is necessary.
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 11:22 PM
  • Also an old install of Norton AV can cause this problem. I had this problem on a client computer and spent days trying to figure it out. So make sure that you delete all files and folders of old AV.
    Wednesday, January 09, 2013 2:44 PM
  • I have deleted all AVG folders and now I am able to download.

Thank you very much!

Friday, April 12, 2013 11:39 PM
  • LOL

chicken egg story.

how to download this file , when it is deleted because it contains a virus?  :)

Thursday, May 16, 2013 6:55 PM
  • I'm experiencing the same issue with IE8 and IE9, any downloads are deleted and if i chose to open rather than save it just doesn't do anything

Having installed Google chrome, I found that the files were being deleted as potential viruses.  I've manage to circumvent this error being hacking the registry 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
    Attachments\ScanWithAntiVirus

this has not resolved the issue in IE though

I've never had AVG or Norton installed. We use Sophos and I have tried uninstalling it to no avail

Anyone else come across a solution please?

Catherine

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 8:46 AM
  • Having removed IE9 and gone back to IE8 it's now working!! hooray

Ironically I'd only put IE9 on to try and fix it in the first place

Catherine

• Proposed as answer by CatherineT_NCC Thursday, June 20, 2013 12:02 PM
    Thursday, June 20, 2013 12:02 PM
  • Try taking IE9 off and using IE89, worked for me after many hours!! wish I'd done it earlier

Catherine

Thursday, June 20, 2013 12:06 PM
  • I this issue today on Vista/SP1/IE8

Updated to SP2 and IE9 .. did not resolve.

Disable Windows Defender did not resolve.

Changing reg entries and various spyware scans did not work.

System restore to earlier checkpoint did not resolve

resolved it by simply removing AVG 2013 (using uninstall utils from avg.com)

Simple as that.

Now using MS security essentials instead of AVG.

Hope this helps.

Ronan.

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 7:23 PM
  • In my case it was AVG which was creating problem. I uninstalled but still problem was not solved. Internally somehow all browsers (IE, Firefox, Opera, Chrome) were using some not deleted files under C:/Program Files/AVG. First I removed all references to these files and then hard deleted all AVG files manually and it worked.
    Monday, July 08, 2013 1:36 PM
  • I know this is an old thread however this still pops up. The computer I use for work is running Windows XP and we are required to use IE, don't know why & don't care. Since I own this computer it was my problem to fix.

Since I couldn't download work I needed a solution and after extensive internet research concluded that AVG & IE8 were not playing nicely. I removed ALL traces of AVG, downloaded Security Essentials, went to MSN and downloaded a completely new version of IE8 which removed the old version at the same time.

All is good again and is running faster too. After using AVG Free since the early 2000s I know that it is overall a GREAT antivirus but it is a major pain when it causes problems. While the final solution took only a couple hours to complete it took several days to get to that point.

I am not a computer geek but have done all my own repairs since 1999 when a 3rd trip to the shop resulted in "OK well we'll try something else" at $100 an hour. Shoot, I can "try something else" and it doesn't cost me money.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 11:58 AM
  • I know this is an old thread but I am having this issue and none of the suggestion fixes have worked. Any thing else I can try?
    Sunday, July 21, 2013 11:19 PM
  • It has taken me nearly 2 months BUT, I have the solution. Your computer is infected with the ZeroAccess rootkit. I found the steps and links outlined on "http://malwaretips.com/blogs/file-contained-a-virus-and-was-deleted-removal/". I followed option1 and in no time I was back up and running. I had the problem on 2 computers, one with Win7 32bit the other was Win7 x64. Each one was corrected with the same actions. I never had AVG installed and the problem effected any browser. Hope this all helps all that have been searching for the cure!
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 1:54 PM
  • I second this...the http://malwaretips.com/blogs/file-contained-a-virus-and-was-deleted-removal/ solution is the one I used. I discovered my Windows Defender service was corrupted/compromised so that was preventing downloads. This solution worked for me...Option 1. Also, I never had AVG installed either.
    Friday, August 02, 2013 8:05 PM
  • Hi,

I have ComboFix on a thumb drive for these special situations.. ready a couple threads and that is where I went. after running ComboFix this issue was resolved. hope this helps

bleepingcomputer.com/download/combofix

Thank you

~Bawb

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 5:47 PM
  • Hi, I don't know what to do...having the same problem everyone else described here. I am blocked from downloading anything on IE or Chrome or Firefox. However, I don't have a Windows Defender Program like people suggested above. no AVG either.
    Thursday, August 22, 2013 7:42 AM
  • I second this...the http://malwaretips.com/blogs/file-contained-a-virus-and-was-deleted-removal/ solution is the one I used. I discovered my Windows Defender service was corrupted/compromised so that was preventing downloads. This solution worked for me...Option 1. Also, I never had AVG installed either.

Me too.  Used option 1.  Combofix takes a lot of patience - wasn't sure it was doing anything for maybe 15 min - but just let it go and it finished as described.  Had a surprise when running roguekiller - can't remember all details of what happened, but was redirected to the supposedly the roguekiller web site and directed to load another program - almost did it, but thought it might be a trick and I went back to the roguekiller session and finished it.  Then  finished rest of 7 steps as directed.  Malwarebytes full scan took about 4 hours.  But after finishing all 7 steps of option 1, everything looks clean and works great.  NOTE: I SCANNED MY THUMB DRIVE AND WITH MALWAREBYTES AND FOUND THE SAME REGISTRY ISSUES THAT I HAD ON MY LAPTOP.  I'm not sure how to apply option one to a thumb drive only.
    Sunday, August 25, 2013 8:58 AM
  • Here is the solution to the exact same problem I once had.

1. Rename the Windows Defender director in C:\program Files to old.windowsdefender.

2. Go to another computer out of your network and download Microsoft Security Essential x64 or x86 (which ever architecture your OS is and run it on the affected machines. 3 trojans will be found, clean those and reboot the PC and you should be good.

Friday, October 11, 2013 4:27 PM
  • Yes this message means that your computer is infected with Zero Access Trojan.

It can be simply removed by following these steps:

Trojan ZeroAccess make it difficut to remote itself because it will not let you install any anti virus or anti malware from Internet.
    But yes still you can remove it by using these steps:
    1 Click on the Start button, select Computer, click on Local Disk (C:), and the click onProgram Files.

2 In the Program Files folder, right-click the Windows Defender folder and select Rename from the context      menu.

3 Add a unique variation to the filename, such as .old (for example, WindowsDefender.old) or something random.

Saturday, October 12, 2013 1:40 PM
  • I renamed the "Windows Defender" folder to "Windows Defender.old" and that fixed it for me!!

I tried most of what I found all over this forum and other forums but the renaming folder did the trick for me. 

• Proposed as answer by DBSHIM Tuesday, March 18, 2014 2:59 PM
    Wednesday, October 16, 2013 1:32 PM
  • I had the same issue - I tried a number of things as mentioned in this post and others. The one that fixed my problem was going to CONTROL PANEL --- Programs and Features --- view installed updates --- I scrolled down and saw that when I had upgraded IE 8 to IE 9 --- it never uninstalled IE 8. So I clicked on IE 8 to have it uninstall and I no longer have this problem.
    • Edited by StevenPol Sunday, October 20, 2013 2:13 PM
    Sunday, October 20, 2013 2:13 PM
  • For me,

AVG was not the problem.

ESET was not the problem.

Spy Bot was not the Problem

Downgrading IE9 to IE8 and resetting settings, not the problem.

Reinstalling IE9 was not the problem.

Using Hitman, Norton and PAnda to externally remove viruses, did not solve it.

Uninstalling and deactivating windows defender did not solve it.

Renaming the Windows Defender directory, which exists after uninstall and startup services deactivation solved the problem.

Come on Microsoft, how lazy can you be? When you choose to UNINSTALL AN ITEM, THAT MEANS UNINSTALL EVERYTHING.

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 9:37 PM
  • Thanks for the info (previous version AVG folders), that did it for me as well after hours of trying to "clean" the computer with various AV software.
    Thursday, February 20, 2014 10:42 PM