none
Internet Explorer 7 + custom dnserror.htm (ieframe.dll(.mui))

Question

• Hi,

Alright, I have an odd request/question, you know that default IE7 error page "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage", called "res://ieframe.dll/dnserror.htm".

I need that page to either be blank or modified to whatever, it just can't display those options it does nor have pictures on it, as I'm having a network of somewhat kiosk-PC's or browser PC's, right clicking on that info marker will prompt "Go to my pictures" which gives explorer access, and clicking your way through "Diagnose connection problem" will eventually give you access to IE options etc, which I do not want to share with users.

I'm a tad unsure whether this is even legal as knowing Microsoft right it is all compiled and nothing open sourced, but I have to get this changed or I will have to look into other browser options.

Thanks in advance for any kind of help!

Br,
    Kristoffer

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 11:02 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Can I understand it as you don't want your user to access IE at all?

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 8:40 AM
  • I have found some articles (For Windows XP) that suggests that you edit the ieframe.dll.mui (i believe both the 32 and 64-bit version) with an application like Resource Hacker. But i can't get it to work with Windows 7, i believe IE is using cached dll's instead of the newly modified ones, someone who can confirm ?

I believe i understand your question, this is necessary for setting up a Kiosk PC with a locked down IE (Touchscreen with no keyboard).

What ever error IE gives you need to have a big "Refresh" button or some way to get back to step 1. (E.g  the webserver is down).

How can i do this with IE ?

brgrds

• Proposed as answer by BLStuart Thursday, January 05, 2012 4:42 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by BLStuart Thursday, January 05, 2012 4:42 PM
    Monday, November 07, 2011 7:06 PM
  • We've done this before with IE6 and IE7. Are you making sure you replace both of these IE7 DLLs?

copy c:\ieframe.dll.mui c:\windows\system32 /Y
    copy c:\ieframe.dll.mui c:\windows\system32\en-us /Y

I wonder if anyone has done this with IE8?

Thursday, January 05, 2012 4:44 PM