none
Internet explorer redirects me to different websites after a Virus

Question

• Hi

We have a client in which has had a virus on their PC. We have done all the scans and tried to remove the viruses to the best of our ability however there still seems to be something lurking in the background. Internet explorer doesn’t function properly, it keeps redirecting you to a different website and keeps on running in the background and you have to end the process via task manager.We have ran Malware bytes, Microsoft security essentials and Microsoft malicious software removal tool. Viruses which have been found have been removed.

I have tried reinstalling IE to a newer version but this hasn’t worked I have also tried to reset IE but this hasn't worked. Has anyone come across this before and is there a way to solve this problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Ashwin

Friday, July 08, 2011 9:22 PM

Answers

• 1. Download Avira AntiVir Rescue System
    The Avira AntiVir Rescue System a linux-based application that allows accessing computers that cannot be booted anymore. Thus it is possible to repair a damaged system, to rescue data or to scan the system for virus infections. Just double-click on the rescue system package to burn it to a CD/DVD. You can then use this CD/DVD to boot your computer. The Avira AntiVir Rescue System is updated several times a day so that the most recent security updates are always available.
    See: "How to use AntiVir Rescue System".

2. Download and run the Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper Beta Tool
    Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper Beta is a recovery tool that can help you start an infected PC and perform an offline scan to help identify and remove rootkits and other advanced malware. In addition, Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper Beta can be used if you cannot install or start an antivirus solution on your PC, or if the installed solution can’t detect or remove malware on your PC.
    Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper Beta Help & How-To

3. "How to reset your Internet Explorer proxy settings."

Malicious software may change Windows Internet Explorer proxy settings, and these changes can prevent you from accessing Windows Update or any Microsoft Security sites.
    To have us reset the Internet Explorer proxy settings for you, go to the "Fix it for me" section.

If still no joy, please follow to the letter all the directions in this thread: How to get rid of malware.

Regards,
    Vincenzo Di Russo
    Microsoft® MVP Windows Internet Explorer, Windows & Security Expert - since 2003.
    Moderator in the Microsoft Answers and TechNet Forums
    My MVP Profile: https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Vincenzo
    Saturday, July 09, 2011 6:15 AM

All replies

• 1. Download Avira AntiVir Rescue System
    The Avira AntiVir Rescue System a linux-based application that allows accessing computers that cannot be booted anymore. Thus it is possible to repair a damaged system, to rescue data or to scan the system for virus infections. Just double-click on the rescue system package to burn it to a CD/DVD. You can then use this CD/DVD to boot your computer. The Avira AntiVir Rescue System is updated several times a day so that the most recent security updates are always available.
    See: "How to use AntiVir Rescue System".

2. Download and run the Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper Beta Tool
    Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper Beta is a recovery tool that can help you start an infected PC and perform an offline scan to help identify and remove rootkits and other advanced malware. In addition, Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper Beta can be used if you cannot install or start an antivirus solution on your PC, or if the installed solution can’t detect or remove malware on your PC.
    Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper Beta Help & How-To

3. "How to reset your Internet Explorer proxy settings."

Malicious software may change Windows Internet Explorer proxy settings, and these changes can prevent you from accessing Windows Update or any Microsoft Security sites.
    To have us reset the Internet Explorer proxy settings for you, go to the "Fix it for me" section.

If still no joy, please follow to the letter all the directions in this thread: How to get rid of malware.

Regards,
    Vincenzo Di Russo
    Microsoft® MVP Windows Internet Explorer, Windows & Security Expert - since 2003.
    Moderator in the Microsoft Answers and TechNet Forums
    My MVP Profile: https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Vincenzo
    Saturday, July 09, 2011 6:15 AM
  • I have the same problem but on every one of the links above I get taken to mail.live.com 
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 6:54 AM
  • You need a liveID to login.

Possibly you have http://www.hotmail.com in your IE Trusted Sites list.

Tools>Internet Options>Security tab, click "Reset all zones to default"

Trusted Sites icon, 'Sites' button ... remove http://www.hotmail.com from the list.

In the first instance run IE in noaddons mode to troubleshoot issues.

for consumer help with Ie select the Help>Online Support menu from IE and follow the prompts for your windows and IE versions.

Rob^_^

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 6:40 PM