none
Some settings are managed by your system administrator (Win7 Ult x64, IE 10 x64)

General discussion

• I've looked at the proposed answers and some users were not helped.  The suggestion below worked for me, and it differs from the proposed answers I've looked at.  Why am I unable to post this as a reply to other threads?

This worked for me (Win7 Ult x64, IE10 x64)

1.    Click Start, type gpedit.msc and press Enter.
    2.    Navigate to Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Internet Explorer.
    3.    Double-click “Allow deleting browsing history on exit” on the right pane
    4.    Choose “Not Configured” and click OK.
    5.    No Restart is required.

-- 'Not Configured' simply allows the current, local user (with sufficient rights) to select or deselect 'Delete browsing history on exit' on the 'General' tab of the 'Internet Options' dialog (without the "Some settings are managed by your system administrator" notification appearing), instead of making the setting one that is controlled by Group Policy.  i.e. in a domain setting, a user must have 'Domain Administrator' privileges to set this value using 'Group Policy' under Active Directory, causing every machine to be so configured upon joining the domain.  Put another way, in such a corporate setting, the 'administrator' referred to in "Some settings are managed by your system administrator" notification is someone with 'Domain Administrator' rights, which a local 'Administrator' does not have, by default. 

If the local machine is not part of a domain OR, I suspect but cannot verify, if the local machine is part of a domain AND the 'Domain Admin' has not set this value in the group policy pushed out to individual machines, the local administrator can set this value to 'Yes' in local group policy, causing the "Some settings are managed by your system administrator" notification to appear, with the selections greyed out.  It's easy to plink around in Group Policy without realizing the implications of a particular choice, as I admit in my case.

To avoid this confusion, perhaps "Some settings are managed by your system administrator" should change to "Some settings are managed by your domain administrator", if the local machine is joined to a domain and the setting is determined by group policy, or "Some settings are managed by group policy, and can be changed by a user with Administrator privileges on this machine".  Or something to that effect.

Attribution: had it not been for the Tim Quan (MSFT) post here,  I would not have found the correct entry to modify.

Saturday, September 14, 2013 11:50 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

Thank you for sharing your experience here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

If you want to report a feedback to Microsoft. I would like to share the link below with you.

https://connect.microsoft.com/

If you have any further question on the current situation, please do not hesitate to tell me.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Blair Deng

Blair Deng

TechNet Community Support

Monday, September 16, 2013 9:49 AM