none
(Re)Install Internet Explorer 11

Question

• Hi

Where can I download and install Internet Explorer 11? When I go to Control Panel, Programs, Windows Features and check Internet Explorer 11 it is installed but not fully functional. The desktop app is not complete and shows an empty window:

Friday, January 03, 2014 9:16 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This issue may occur due to browser add-ons or due to any recent changes on the computer that might have changed the Internet Explorer settings.

1. Run internet Explorer in no add-ons mode and check if the issue occur. ( Click Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Internet Explorer (with no add-ons))

2. Run Internet Explorer Performance Troubleshooter to diagnose the exact issue. Follow the steps mentioned below.

a. Press “Windows key + W”.
    b. Type “Troubleshooting” without quotes in the Search box and hit enter.
    c. Select “View all” option from the left panel.
    d. Select “Internet Explorer performance”.
    e. Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.

3. In Windows 8.1 Preview, Enhanced Protected Mode (EPM) is turned on by default for Internet Explorer and for Internet Explorer for the Desktop. When in Enhanced Protected Mode (EPM), add-ons are disabled. Users can still use add-ons in Internet Explorer for the Desktop, but you need to click on the notification that appears, and select "Run add-ons", which will turn Enhanced Protected Mode (EPM) off.  Turn off the Enhanced Protected Mode (EPM) and check the issue status.

4. To check for Software Rendering mode

a. Open Internet Explorer for the desktop, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
    b. On the Advanced tab, go to the Accelerated graphics section, and then turn on Software Rendering mode by choosing the Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering box.

I also consider whether the ie 11 is displayed as full screen mode. Auto-hide funcition will hide the toolbar in fullscreen mode.

If the issue persists, you may try to reset Internet Explorer settings and see if it helps.

I also would like to share the article below with you:

Problems after installing Internet Explorer 11

http://technet.microsoft.com/library/dn338138.aspx

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Blair Deng

Blair Deng
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 07, 2014 1:40 AM

All replies

• these articles may help:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/internet-explorer/ie-crashes-stops-working#ie=ie-11
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Edited by DonPick Saturday, January 04, 2014 6:01 AM
    Saturday, January 04, 2014 6:00 AM
  • Where can I download and install Internet Explorer 11?

In which OS?  In W7sp1 you can accept an optional update.  There is no IE Repair.  A related thing to do in W7sp1 is to uninstall the update which brought you IE11.  Then that will return you to the level of IE that you had when that update was installed.  Unfortunately, even doing that is not a repair but it would at least return you to whatever registry settings you had then.  So, try uninstalling IE11 and see if you now have the problem symptom with what you had.  That would tend to indicate that there is something else installed that is causing the problem symptom.  Then you could try all the usual diagnosis with that version, so at least try creating a cleaner base to redo the IE11 install with.  Etc.

BTW when you said you couldn't use Tools I didn't imagine you meant this.   <eg>

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie11-iewindows8_1/ie11-not-responding-in-desktop-mode/a26fcd54-5415-4acb-ac10-fd71a5f17e8b#LastReply 

In the case of IE11 in W8.1 it was the OS update which brought you IE11.  I don't know if the analogous procedure of uninstalling the OS update to go back to W8 and its IE10 is possible.  Try it and see?  ; )

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, January 04, 2014 5:12 PM
  • Windows 8. I was not able to install a windows 7 version as it claimed that it already was installed, despite the fact that I had removed the Internet Explorer 11 from the features.

To install Internet Explorer 11 I had to reinstall windows 8.1, which I did.

Sunday, January 05, 2014 10:55 AM
  • Hi,

This issue may occur due to browser add-ons or due to any recent changes on the computer that might have changed the Internet Explorer settings.

1. Run internet Explorer in no add-ons mode and check if the issue occur. ( Click Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Internet Explorer (with no add-ons))

2. Run Internet Explorer Performance Troubleshooter to diagnose the exact issue. Follow the steps mentioned below.

a. Press “Windows key + W”.
    b. Type “Troubleshooting” without quotes in the Search box and hit enter.
    c. Select “View all” option from the left panel.
    d. Select “Internet Explorer performance”.
    e. Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.

3. In Windows 8.1 Preview, Enhanced Protected Mode (EPM) is turned on by default for Internet Explorer and for Internet Explorer for the Desktop. When in Enhanced Protected Mode (EPM), add-ons are disabled. Users can still use add-ons in Internet Explorer for the Desktop, but you need to click on the notification that appears, and select "Run add-ons", which will turn Enhanced Protected Mode (EPM) off.  Turn off the Enhanced Protected Mode (EPM) and check the issue status.

4. To check for Software Rendering mode

a. Open Internet Explorer for the desktop, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
    b. On the Advanced tab, go to the Accelerated graphics section, and then turn on Software Rendering mode by choosing the Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering box.

I also consider whether the ie 11 is displayed as full screen mode. Auto-hide funcition will hide the toolbar in fullscreen mode.

If the issue persists, you may try to reset Internet Explorer settings and see if it helps.

I also would like to share the article below with you:

Problems after installing Internet Explorer 11

http://technet.microsoft.com/library/dn338138.aspx

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Blair Deng

Blair Deng
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 07, 2014 1:40 AM
  • It wasn't a add-on or a recent change but that is hard to prove as to solve the problem I had to spend the day and reinstalled the OS  and all the applications I need.

I cannot really be that an application produced by Microsoft can start failing on OS that Microsoft produced and that there is no way of troubleshooting this in a workable way.

Sunday, February 09, 2014 11:53 AM
  • I cannot really be that an application produced by Microsoft can start failing on OS that Microsoft produced and that there is no way of troubleshooting this in a workable way.

Unfortunately, that is the case.  There is no comprehensive troubleshooter or repair tool for the browsing functionality provided by the OS.  Since IE7, when even the pretense of providing an IE Repair tool was removed, the only tools we have been given involve fixing user created changes, such as add-ons and settings.  E.g. that is all that RIES does.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 9:39 PM