none
Internet explorer won't start, comes up and closes directly

Question

• Hello,

I have a problem with a customer of ours. When he tries to start IE 9 he won't get it started. As soon as i run it as administrator it works perfectly. When I  try to use it witihin a other account it also works perfectly.

I tried te following solutions already but they didn't work:

- Resetting IE9

- Changing security level

- removing add ons

- removing antivirus

- changed ownership of program files and changed rights to his accounts

- Avast startup scan : no results

- Tdsskiller

- Malwarebytes scan

- Ccleaner

- removing temp files

- Oldtime Temp file cleaner : After this the browser starts for a moment but after ten minutes it breaks down again and the same problem occurs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The weird thing is that Google Chrome doesn't start either. Neither is Firefox.

Avast gives a Url:mal notification but i've scanned it multiple times but it gives a blocked url: http://174.137.54.234/

Sometimes an other notification pops up with also Url:mal and the details gives a location C:\Windows\explorer.exe

Maybe you have any ideas ?

Friday, August 10, 2012 7:12 AM

Answers

All replies

• reboot the computer to ensure that any IE crash recovery tabs have been cleared from the Processes list (TaskManager>Processes)

Start>Control Panel>Internet Options>General tab, set the ONLY homepage to about:blank

Programs tab, ensure IE is set as the default browser.

restart IE in noAddons mode......

Open TasksManager before opening IE in noAddons mode.... to observe any other services starting up at the same time... GoogleToolbarUpdater.exe (32bit)

you haven't tried starting in Safe Mode with networking yet. Regards. Include your windows version in questions as Vista and Win7 are different. x64 versions of IE do not run with x86 addons or plugins.

Rob^_^

Friday, August 10, 2012 8:40 AM
  • I have a problem with a customer of ours. When he tries to start IE 9 he won't get it started. As soon as i run it as administrator it works perfectly. When I  try to use it witihin a other account it also works perfectly.

The weird thing is that Google Chrome doesn't start either. Neither is Firefox.

Sounds like a problem with the user profile.   You could try cloning the profile.   If you want to try analyzing the exact cause I would use ProcMon.   Depending on what "won't get it started" means there could also be interference from third-party programs, especially updaters.   As has been suggested clean-boot troubleshooting should avoid and help identify that cause.   I don't know anything about the malware symptoms you included; ask Avast for help about them.

---

Friday, August 10, 2012 5:52 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

Since this issue only occurred with one user, this issue can occur if the user profile is damaged.

I suggest that you can try to create a new User Account to test the issue:

1. Click the Start Button, type User Accounts in the start search pane and press Enter.

2. Click Manage use accounts. 

3. Click Create a new account, and type the name.

4. Choose account type as Computer administrator.

If this problem disappears, we can migrate your old user profile to the new account.

For your reference, how to migrate the user profile

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 2:21 AM
  • I have a problem with a customer of ours.

Would they have been experimenting with moving  %ProgramFiles%  to a different partition by any chance?...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie8-windows_7/ie8-flashes-and-disappears-on-startup/51d96c49-3d98-4a98-a1b9-733cbc65e7d6?page=2&msgId=8aad364e-0e70-4702-b23c-3c07fbaab71c

---

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 4:33 AM
    Answerer