none
When I click on a Link I get a Blank Tab and a Blank Page

Question

• I run Win 7 Home Premium and IE9 on an HP Pavillion HPE computer. I use AVG 2012.  My problem is when I click on a LINK I get a Blank new Tab and a Blank Page.  As a side note, when clicking on the above Microsoft's "Related Topics" Links, I get nothing but a new Blank Tab and Blank Page.  Sometimes I get the error message :  " Sorry Internet Explorer needs to Close" .  I've done most of the "fixes" discussed in these on-line MS Answer sessions including resetting my IE9 settings, scanning for Malware, etc. and finally a System Restore but my problem persists. I'm hoping that someone can help me out of this very frustrating (and infuriating) mess.
    Monday, April 09, 2012 4:04 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Sounds like an AVG caused problem. Have you tried their support forums also?

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 (and 10 Consumer Preview) for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions.

If you are a consumer looking for answers or to raise a question, it's highly recommended you head on over to http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

Rob^_^

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 2:12 AM
  • I did check with AVG Support and after they did some preliminary tests I was informed that AVG's security software was not causing my problems.

John Bartelt

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 6:06 PM
  • Hi,

Based on my research, please check following:

1. Please refer to Tips for solving problems when Internet Explorer crashes or stops working, disable all Add-ones and see how it works.

2. Please try to manually open a new tab before click a link and see how it works.

3. Please test the issue in Clean Boot Mode and see how it works.

In addition, please let us know that except for this issue, does Internet Explorer work properly with other functions?

Hope this helps. 

Jeremy Wu

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, April 12, 2012 9:54 AM
  • I know that this reply is well after you posted but others might benefit from how I got out of the same problem

I had been trying to reinstall my Windows 7 Pro update from Vista to get out of this problem but it wouldn't go for some reason.  My system restore wouldn't go back to any dates later than the day I was trying, so it was useless.So, I opted to try a potpourri of suggestions accumalated, one from here. First, I deleted everything from my programs. Next, I went to Start to Programs & Features and viewed installed updates and uninstalled all that would. (they all won't). Included was Microsoft Windows. I then restarted. Then I put my Windows 7 Pro upgrade in and attempted to reinstall again and it did. After I restarted, I checked on what version I had of IE and it was 8. After that, I opened up and navigated to different websites and read my mail, clicked on to links quoted in e-mail and everything worked again. Then I went to see what version of IE I had and it was 8 and I opted to go to 10, but it wouldn't let me because in all of the uninstall processes, I lost Service Pack 1 and IE 10 requires if you have Windows 7 you need Service Pack 1. So, I opted to download IE 9 where I will remain. I know that I can still download Service Pack 1 free if I want to go to IE 10. I hope this might help others who have this problem which is more prevalent than one would expect. Have a good day.

Monday, July 01, 2013 6:14 PM