none
IE10 freeze/hang

    Question

  • When opening IE10 it won´t display any page and all the menu options are greyed-out. Opening a new iexplore process the page it works fine. Under process explorer it is visible that 2<sup>nd</sup> process has the first one as parent but I couldn´t identify any other difference.

    OS: Win7 Enterprise x64 SP1

    History: This problem was occurring with IE9 and even upgrading to IE10 it persists. Opening with “-extoff” it works at first sight but with all add-ons disabled.

    I generated a full IE dump if anyone is interested (and have the needed symbols J)

    Thanks,

    Diego Castro

    Wednesday, March 06, 2013 5:40 PM

Answers

  • Looks like it was Adobe PDF reader plug-in. It had some additional languages and removing the additional languages the problem was solved
    Reproducing the environment, the problem is the Adobe Flash Player 10. Just removing it and updating to version 11 makes the trick. 
    Tuesday, March 12, 2013 6:28 PM

All replies

  • What security suites/ other browsers/ third party toolbars are installed ?

    Have you attempted to reset ie ?

    Wednesday, March 06, 2013 8:07 PM
  • Opening with “-extoff” it works at first sight but with all add-ons disabled.

    Then that is your clue that an add-on is involved.   Try to isolate the one(s) which are the specific cause and then decide if you can do without them.  

     
    FWIW in my case it was once the WL Live ID Sign-in Assistant and I decided I would rather put up with the inconvenience of the occasional hang than do without it.  Eventually it mysteriously stopped hanging.   However, I found a workaround which minimized the disruption was finding the hanging thread using Resource Monitor and killing that.   Unfortunately, the workaround could not be that refined so it ended up being killing the task associated with the hanging thread.   Fortunately, after that as a consequence of Crash Recovery the result was that the killed task was spawned in a new window.  So really not that much disruption except for the delay identifying the one that needed to be killed.  Usually that turned out to be the one which was at the top when sorting the CPU%  ascending.   Then doing right-click, Analyze Wait Chain... quickly found the one which was obviously hung.   Once I had done the procedure a few times and optimized it in various ways it got pretty straightforward to get going again with minimal disruption.   YMMV.   ; )

    HTH

     
    Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

    Wednesday, March 06, 2013 8:29 PM
    Answerer
  • FWIW in my case it was once the WL Live ID Sign-in Assistant and I decided I would rather put up with the inconvenience of the occasional hang than do without it.


    I haven't found any usefulness for this add-on ?
    Wednesday, March 06, 2013 9:47 PM
  • Hi Diego,


    You need to check which add on affect this, you can manually turn on them one by one to check to verify it.


    Regards,


    Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

    Friday, March 08, 2013 2:40 AM
    Moderator
  • Looks like it was Adobe PDF reader plug-in. It had some additional languages and removing the additional languages the problem was solved
    Tuesday, March 12, 2013 6:15 PM
  • Looks like it was Adobe PDF reader plug-in. It had some additional languages and removing the additional languages the problem was solved
    Reproducing the environment, the problem is the Adobe Flash Player 10. Just removing it and updating to version 11 makes the trick. 
    Tuesday, March 12, 2013 6:28 PM
  • Hi All, 

    All these posts - Disable PDF reader.. and that stuff... will not resolve your problem... 

    But sure shot is - RUN WINDOWS UPDATE .. keep uptodate.. This issue gets resolved by itself.. 

    Experience speaks ;) 



    HydPhani

    Wednesday, May 22, 2013 10:28 AM