none
Citrix app shortcut prompts to download .ICA file.

Question

• A user on Windows 7 with Internet Explorer 9 can use our Citrix apps without a problem when he logs into Citrix from a URL like: http://internal.domain.com. He uses this URL whenever he is connected to the LAN or WAN.

However, if he disconnects from the WAN, and connects on the public internet, he needs to login to Citrix from a different URL like: https://external.domain.com, as the internal URL is only for LAN or WAN IP addresses.

After he logs into to this second website, any time he clicks on a Citrix shortcut Internet Explorer prompts him to save or open the .ICA file. If he chooses to open the file, the file will start to download, but the download never completes, so he is never able to open the file. If he chooses to download the file, the download will still never complete.

He is using the same user account both times. Both website URLs above are in the Trusted Sites list in Internet Explorer. The only difference is that when he is inside the LAN or WAN, Internet Explorer needs to go through a proxy server to connect to the first URL.

I have uninstalled the web client, and reinstalled it using a fresh copy of the installation file, but the issue remains.

All other instances of Windows 7 are able to connect and launch applications when logged into the external Citrix URL.

This is a known issue with IE9.

However, after applying the workaround in the article the .ICA file can be downloaded completely, but opening it does not open the Citrix Application.

Nothing happens, except wfcrun32.exe opens in Task Manager as soon as the link is clicked (before opening), and once the download is finished, wfica32.exe opens for about a second and then disappears.

This issue only happens on 1 of our citrix websites. The other website functions perfectly, even though it is being opened by IE9.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 9:14 AM

Answers

• Hi,

It seemed the issue occurs when login from external URL. Could it be any difference policy to block the applications?

I suggest turning off SmartScreen Filter and performing the Clean Boot to check the result. Also try different browser using the external URL for testing.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, June 10, 2011 8:55 AM

All replies

• I have the identical problem, we only have one secure gateway so I can't compare it to any other one. Usually not allowing encrypted files to be saved causes this problem, but my IE9 is configured to allow unencrypted files to be saved...... Lets hope some guru can fix this......

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 2:05 PM
  • I've just played around with the settings (didn't have to change any ref your note (This is a known issue with IE9)), my settings where already as required. We're use Presentation Server 4.0, although I have Xenapp 6 going into production in several weeks, my new SGW will not be built untill after that.

If all else fails I'll try firefox, I remember having some fun getting a mac to work via this route.

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 2:25 PM
  • Firefox v4.01 works perfectly, I had to make no changes at all other than trusting the site :), I'll use this route untill MS / Citrix sort out IE9.....
    Wednesday, June 08, 2011 2:29 PM
  • once the download is finished, wfica32.exe opens for about a second and then disappears.

Sounds like security/obscurity.   See if this document and ProcMon can untangle it for you?   Since you have two cases you can trace both, then compare the traces for their essential differences.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 2:59 PM
  • Duplicate of http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie9-windows_7/citrix-app-shortcut-prompts-to-download-ica-file/4f0ad69d-dd19-4653-a5ef-770ff2be20f5
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft
    Wednesday, June 08, 2011 3:22 PM
  • The two questions are on two different sites intended for two different audiences.

It was posted on this site at the request of the original forum's moderator, so I'm not sure why you're claiming it's a duplicate.
    Thursday, June 09, 2011 5:44 AM
  • Hi,

It seemed the issue occurs when login from external URL. Could it be any difference policy to block the applications?

I suggest turning off SmartScreen Filter and performing the Clean Boot to check the result. Also try different browser using the external URL for testing.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, June 10, 2011 8:55 AM
  • We have experienced the same issue. I have tried the setting s in the articles, renamed the key in the registry. none of it worked. IE9 was still not letting ICA launch. I gave up and installed firefox.. lauched ICA with no issues.

IE 9 needs to get this resolved and try to realize that most users out there do not understand any of the security settings you have put in place. KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) - helps the rest of the world to keep running.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 4:36 PM