none
IE9: Changing the default download option from 'save' to 'save as'

General discussion

• While I have sent feedback into Microsoft, I thought I might post here aswell.

In IE9 when you click a download, a pop-up from the bottom asks 'Do you want to open or save file.xxx from x.com' then gives you the option to 'Open' 'Save' or 'Cancel'

During testing, we found that users would just click 'Save' then not know where the file they downloaded went. After explaining that it was in the downloads, they complained that previously they just chose where to save the file and it saved there. Now they have to open downloads and copy paste to the location.

We could teach the users to always drop down and select 'Save as' but I can tell you it would be a lot easier if there was a group policy, or a default we can change so the default was 'Save as'

Other than that, I have no complaints :D.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 3:56 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your suggestion.

Microsoft is striving to capture any and all product issues and product feedback so as to ensure that we are continuously developing Microsoft products to meet our customers' needs. Since IE9 is still a trail product, I believe it will become more pratical based on our users' feedbacks. This is exactly why feedback such as yours is always valued.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, December 20, 2010 10:20 AM
  • Well said Thomas Higgins!  Microsoft guys, listen to what he says!

One reason I've stayed with IE so long is because it let's me stay organized from the moment I click "download."  I choose where I save each file to keep things in order...  too many extra steps for file management when it all goes to one place by default.  Why would any organized individual want to throw everything in a pile only to have to clean it up later? 

There's plenty of real estate on the notification bar on the bottom.  Just add a "save as" button.

Also, I really like that the download manager window doesn't pop up automatically like in firefox (another great feature of ie 8 or earlier).  It really throws off the ALT-Tabbing for us power users.

PS, it would be cool for the CTRL-J shortcut to both open AND close the download manager (a view toggle), which would allow for a quick download status check without having to switch to the mouse or reach for Alt-F4 to close it after.

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 5:49 AM
  • I have to agree with this request. I ALWAYS have to change that download option to "Save As...".  Would be very nice to be able to change it to the default option.
    - Robert Beaubien, Kool Software
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 7:23 AM
  • Good to see this post is still going. There isnt an option in the RTM version either that I can see, I am quite disappointed. As now that we move into putting IE9 onto our production computers the helpdesk calls are only going to get worse, and it seems like rather an easy thing to implement in the scheme of things.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 10:39 AM
  • I have to say...DO NOT like the lack of a separate search bar (searching from the address bar sucks) and saving downloads has become much more user UN-friendly.  Having that bar across the bottom of the browser is just a royal pain.

IE Team -  Why did you fix things that weren't broken?   I hate to admit it, but since loading IE9, I find myself using Firefox more, and liking it more.  

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 12:53 PM
  • When first using IE9, I did not see the issue of a Download > 'Save As' button on the bar, or 'Save As' as default as that big of a deal.  However, as I am using the browser more this has become an issue for me.  I see this as indicative of the "user divergence problem" Microsoft, and everyone else, has been trying to deal with for several years now.  The user community is divided in need.  There are those like me and the others in this forum, who maintain their own folder structures, who have a method to it, and who do not mind a software interface that carries some of this burden, but they want that interface to consult with them and not simply go off and do stuff with their files and folders.  Then there are those in the other category who don't want to know where they put files and folders, don't care, couldn't be bothered.  They want the interface to do it all for them and just present the stuff when asked.  "Music?", it's in the "My Music" folder.  "Documents?", in the "My Documents" folder.  "Downloads?", in the "Downloads" folder.  Hey, we'll even provide a handy "Downloads" pop up window in IE9 that remembers where you put every file and let you click to open the folder or even open the file!  That's great, for those guys, and I don't begrudge them a thing on it, cause it makes it easier for those guys to use the interface, be it IE9 or Windows 7 or Office 2010.  However, Microsoft cannot lose site of those of us who do not want to be "managed" like this.  You don't want to "confuse" the user group that doesn't want to have to think about folder structure, Microsoft?  You don't want to add buttons to the interface?  Cool.  But give us the option to customize, even a little bit.  Not a lot to ask, and shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Thanks.

-ddw

Saturday, March 26, 2011 12:41 AM
  • That last post (ddwbna) tells it like it is - well put!  I almost missed the choice to "Save As" and, like everyone else on this forum, would prefer it to be the default or at the very least, have the ability to edit the registry to make it so!   However a trawl of similar forums indicates that users have been going on about this since the first Beta and Microsoft has seen fit to just ignore the demand.

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, Office 2010 small business edition, i7 920 o/c @ 3.4GHz, ASUS P6X58D-E Deluxe, Corsair H50 water cooling kit with 2 x 12cm fans, 12Gb DDR3 OCZ 1600 running @ 1704, Enermax Galaxy 850W PSU (Underpowered?), OCZ XTC Memory Cooler Rev2, Nvidia 560 GTX Ti, 2 x 128GB Corsair Real SSD in RAID 0 Boot, 1 x 2TB, 2 x 1.5TB + 1 x 750GB HDDs, 2 x 500GB in RAID 0, NEC USB 3 PCIe Card, Antec Twelve Hundred Ultimate Gamer case (5 x 12cm and 1 x 20cm fans), Dell 2408WFP & Dell 2407WFP 24" Monitors, Synology 209 NAS with 2 x 1Tb in RAID 0, Synology 210+ NAS with 1x 1.5TB and 1TB, Liteon BD-B LH-2B1S writer, NEC 4550 DVD-RW, Lenovo Fingerprint Reader Keyboard, MX1000 Mouse, Logitech THX Speakers, 2 x 3.5” 1TB, 2 x 2.5” 160GB & 500GB external HDDs, Icy Box USB 3 docking station, HTC Desire, Corsair 16Gb Flash Voyager GT, byteStor 32Gb Flash Drive etc. Window 7 Experience Index 7.5 (CPU). 

Roll on the Z68 Chipset!

Saturday, March 26, 2011 12:02 PM
  • I have to admit this is going to cause us "huge" problems with our users.  Absolutely everone is going to be expecting the dialog box to come up to point to the folder to use to download the file after they click the save button.  You can try and re-train people, but with thousands of users, it will be a nightmare and I'll be half our users won't remember to do this properly.

The problem is that when you click the 'Save' button, it automatically saves into your "Download" folder.  However, this folder appears to be part of your "roaming profile".  (Or am I mistaken on this?)  Downloading files into your roaming profile will create a terrible problem for us with server space and even longer logoff/logon times across slow communications lines.

It's unfortunate there isn't a way to force the downloads to always to a "Save As"!

Monday, March 28, 2011 8:11 PM
  • Yes, please default to "Save-As" for the default download option, or at the very least give us a setting that will allow us to selection this option. 
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 10:22 PM
  • I take it this issue is still outstanding? This is by far the most annoying thing about IE9 in my opinion. At work I constantly have to download files and keep them organized by customer and date. The funny thing is, for home use this wouldn't annoy me so much, but for business it represents an extra click.
    Tuesday, April 05, 2011 9:52 PM
  • It needs "Save As AND OPEN" -- as per the old system where you saved where you want, and could open automatically. So I can choose location, then it automatically opens.

The idea of a downloads section (per Mac) makes it as frustrating to use as Mac OS where you can't find a damn thing because the system assumes you're too dumb to navigate to the exact location you want to place your file.

The existing system of the dialogue box to say save, and then choose to open or not as a default is ideal.

Monday, April 18, 2011 12:47 AM
  • I agree, this is absolutely maddening.  I need two extra clicks for every file I download.  One to drop down the button to see "Save As" and one to close the damnable download manager bar which remains on top of my content after it is no longer needed.  Both of these clicks are on smaller targets than a regular button so not only do I have extra clicks but they demand more attention and precision too.  Why can't I configure this to work in a way which is convenient for me?  Did I miss the memo about Steve Jobs taking over Microsoft?
    Sunday, April 24, 2011 1:21 PM
  • Just donwloaded IE9 last week and love it, BUT what the F____! I agree 100% MS needs to the set default to 'Save As' with an option to set "specicifc folders" by file type, or whatever you choose. The Love-Hate relationship continues.....
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 3:59 PM
  • Still an issue even in the RTM version.

Whats even worse, is that if I right click on the file I want to download, then select "Open" (or "Save" or "Save As") it still presents the pop-up asking if I want to download or save.
    By right clicking and selecting "Open" didn't I already give the instruction of what I wanted to do with the file? Why is the pop-up still presented?
    We've spent years trying to prevent pop-ups and now they're building them into the browser and you can't avoid it even if the instruction has already been provided. I don't get what they're trying to accomplish!

Saturday, April 30, 2011 11:13 PM
  • Seems to me there whould be a fairly easy way to reorder the drop down list. If you find that then you have your work around.
    Wednesday, May 04, 2011 2:44 PM
  • +1000

Come on Microstoft, make Save-As a default option. And while you're at it make the open/save dialog floatable/undockable. I frequently drag my IE windows down to expose other windows that are behind. That places the docked dialog off the screen. Extreme frowny face here.

Friday, May 06, 2011 6:49 PM
  • +1 from me too.  VERY good post Thomas.

I *ALWAYS* click the Save button and choose Save As, because I maintain my own download sub-structure.

It would be REALLY EASY to fix this by just offering an Advanced option somewhere that would make either Save or Save As the default, per the user's choice.

-Noel

Saturday, May 07, 2011 3:29 AM
  • I'll go along with this STUPID way of handling downloads if someone will confirm that MS developers dump all their groceries at home into the same cabinet and root through it every time they need to find something.

Toilet paper does NOT go in the same cabinet as potato chips and bleach?

Firefox 4 options: >Always ask me where to save files
    Saturday, May 07, 2011 11:58 PM
  • It's pretty clear that Microsoft believes that people just dump things wherever they happen to land on their hard drives.  This IE9 feature, Libraries, the half-broken Windows Search feature - all apparently designed to help bumbling users who have no clue about organizing things figure out what they just did.

That's fine and good, but remember not to penalize the organized, smart folks in the process!

These things should tend to get fixed when the people who can make a difference within Microsoft end up actually using the product.  That is, unless they fall into the "bumbling users" class.

-Noel

Sunday, May 08, 2011 2:38 AM
  • Thank you all for your feedback. I have reported through internal channel. Hope this issue will be address in a near future.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, May 09, 2011 3:28 AM
  • This has been driving me bat-sh*t for the past two weeks.  Hopefully it will get addressed in future updates.  All I want is an extra button on the options that directly lets me "save as," instead of having to use the drop down.  I think the default save should still be there though (after all, how many of us have been trying to help someone, tell them to download a file and then they have no clue where they put it -- they just click on whatever pops up and pay no attention).  Having it go to one place is probably a good idea for the unorganized and those who just don't pay attention to what they are doing. 

On a related issue:  The bar popping up at the bottom is not the coolest thing ever either.  I still prefer the old method wehre it pops up in the middle of the screen.  It would be nice if I could have the option of choosing where the bar would pop up.  (That goes for pop-up blocker bar as well, which is at the bottom instead of the top now.)  I suppose I'll just get used to the new way -- though I can't imagine what the reason for changing it was in the first place (change for change's sake?).

Thursday, May 12, 2011 2:07 PM
  • I still prefer the old method wehre it pops up in the middle of the screen.

The funny thing is that for some sites / file types / phases of the moon it still does.

-Noel

Friday, May 13, 2011 4:08 PM
  • One of the first things that I changed in Firefox was the way it just dumped all my files in one folder...hated it.

Now Microsoft not only followed suit thinking this was a great idea but removed any option to revert back to the Save As method...genius!

We get notifications from the bottom, not the top where you're expecting it...yes we went through this "education" before when that bar first appeared, why do we have to do it again?

You go and try to change search providers and attempt to locate google....but it isn't there. Now I know, Microsoft, you have an ongoing beef with google but please stop being so childish. I had to do a "Google" search for IE seach providers and locate the old version so I could add google as a default...what a mission.

I hate mucking about customising things, tweaking this and that just to get what you had before by default.

I don't mind the low footprint interface, I can live with doing searches from the address bar, although I'd prefer a separate search area but please, if you're going to try a new way of doing things, give people a way to revert to back to the "old" way....somtimes that's better.

All you're doing is pushing your users over competitors browsers and you'll lose more market share to Chrome and Firefox....

Sunday, May 22, 2011 11:14 AM
  • That's fine and good, but remember not to penalize the organized, smart folks in the process!

Thanks, Magon, for feeding back our concerns. I just like to reiterate what Noel and others have said. I recently upgraded to IE9 and not having an option to SaveAs by default is driving me nuts too.

We all know that software needs to be backwards compatible: what about user experience? If people were able to do something before the way they wanted, then the new version should still enable them to use the same method, albeit if they need to do a little bit of UI options configuring themselves.

Make it more flexible for user experience, not more rigid.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 10:23 AM
  • I need to add my voice to the chorus of complaints on this thread. I HATE HATE HATE the fact that I need to use the Save button at the bottom of the screen. First, it's a counterintuitive place to look. Second, I haven't quite figured out why sometimes it pops up the Downloads dialogue in the middle of the screen (with Open and Save dropdown) and other times it's at the bottom of the screen; nor can I figure out how to force one vs the other to occur so I can predict where on the screen I need to look to choose Save As. Yes, I'm sure it's easy enough to figure out the pattern, but I frankly detest this feature so much I use it as rarely as possible.

Sometimes clicking on links (which are not always recognizable from their URLs as PDFs) will open the PDF in the browser window instead of offeirng the option to Open or Save As, tying up the browser window rather than downloading in the background. Again, haven't quite figured out what causes this behavior vs the other as it's not immediately obvious based on my occasional IE usage.

I have a sufficiently intense internet usage pattern that I use Firefox for one of my work clients, and Chrome for another simply b/c I don't have time to wade through the dozens of frequently used bookmarks in each. I use IE only for personal surfing and when pages won't load on the other two because it is so much more cumbersome. My folders are frequently nested 6-7 levels deep, so no generic Downloads folder will be suitable. I am a magazine editor, and on peak days I may download hundreds of files from dozens of sites (hundreds of MB) per day, so having to go through extra (and unpredictable) steps to save files where I need them is really inconvenient. I agree with the comment above that copying the FireFox "feature" was ill-advised - but at least FF has the option to override it!

Last, at one point, I closed the download dialogue and was surprised to find that my download aborted rather than continuing in the background. I haven't yet been able to replicate the behaviour (again, really don't want to use it enough to have to figure it out) but that seems quite counterintuitive.

Please put in a default to Save As option and get rid of the bar at the bottom (put the popup back).

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 5:38 PM
  • Thank you all for your feedback. I have reported through internal channel. Hope this issue will be address in a near future.

Regards,

Hi Magon,

Do we have a status update on this issue?

Thanks,

Doug

Wednesday, June 01, 2011 9:12 PM
  • Plz fix this .. its annoying the hell out of me. I dont wanna move to Firefox ... Its so simple .. why break something in the first place when it was perfectly alrite .. and provide locked download location as an option if you had to build this !!!

Friday, June 03, 2011 5:24 AM
  • Yup, just to add my tuppenies worth, this really, really sucks.

Why on earth remove such basic functionality?

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 9:56 AM
  • You do realize that there really IS still a Save As capability, it's just not the default.  Click the little arrow on the right end of the Save button...

-Noel

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 9:06 AM
  • ::whoosh!::

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 3:45 PM
  • Hey guys.. Keep this quiet. And I Used to Love IE, Browser after browser came along and i stuck with IE, like you people, becasue of its versatility. Now Microsoft listen to people. Because guess what, GOOGLE CHROME, does both. under the bonnet you can choose. Simple choice, easy to find and titled so we can understand it as well, google call it 'Ask where to save each file before downloading'

Nice one google. Hello google. Goodbye IE.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 10:07 AM
  • Keep this quiet.

LOL

All the Internet Explorer developers would have to do is just make the choice made last time "sticky" so it would be the default for next time. Wouldn't require any additional screens, or really any substantive change in usability, except to make those of us who plan ahead and save our files in particular places happier every time we use it.

Oh, and TheJ0ker, keep in mind you're not getting color management with Chrome, so images like this one look pale and lifeless.

-Noel

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 5:30 PM
  • As an developer of MS programs, I cannot understands Microsoft's reluctance to add this feature to ie9 to make this a default option.  It's such a simple, but important UI issue.  It's usability issues like this that are causing many to move to Firefox (which is pretty darn good), or google chrome (which is only just OK). 

So how about it microsoft?  Is someone going to get off the stick and and just add this as a default setting choice?

• Edited by RichD15 Sunday, September 11, 2011 11:23 PM
    Sunday, September 11, 2011 11:01 PM
  • Okay, perhaps you cannot chnage the default option to "Save As" but you can change your default directory.

In IE9:

Options -> View Downloads -> (Bottom left corner) Options -> Browse to a directory of your choosing.

That's almost as good. :)

Sunday, September 25, 2011 2:28 PM
  • For what it's worth, things are no different in the IE10 preview that comes with the Windows 8 Developer Preview - the default is Save and cannot be made Save As.

It seems pretty clear Microsoft thinks the added confusion and complexity (think "support cost") for the vast majority of moron-level Windows users would outweigh the added utility for the tiny group of smart, organized Windows users.

-Noel

Sunday, September 25, 2011 2:41 PM
  • OK, look. On wellsfargo, when you want to dl say your monthly statement, you click the link and normally it opens another box that asks you if you want to save or open. Because IE9 thinks this is the actual file you are clicking on, it won't save, won't save as, won't cancel and won't X out. So you're stuck. So now my solution is to use Firefox.

wilhouse

Sunday, November 13, 2011 10:31 PM
  • OK, look. On wellsfargo, when you want to dl say your monthly statement, you click the link and normally it opens another box that asks you if you want to save or open. Because IE9 thinks this is the actual file you are clicking on, it won't save, won't save as, won't cancel and won't X out. So you're stuck. So now my solution is to use Firefox.

wilhouse

Stuck?

Did you try right-clicking the link and choosing Save Target As?  That seems simpler than switching browsers.

-Noel

Sunday, November 13, 2011 11:51 PM
  • If only life were that simple. Save as  brings up a window that looks like this.  It won't save it. When I try to rename it as an html file, it won't open.

Monday, November 14, 2011 10:47 AM
  • Clearly it's not an IE issue, as it works fine for me.  I have no problem saving as a simple PDF.

Try starting Internet Explorer without Add-ons.  Perhaps something you've installed is getting in the way of the action you want to take.

Click Start, type Add-on into the Search box, then click Internet Explorer (No add-ons) when it comes up.

Another thing you can try is to run IE9 in Compability View.  I need to do that on the WellsFargo site myself, as some things just don't work right otherwise.  It's pretty sorry for an active business to still not have their web pages in a form that works with IE9 - my respect for Wells Fargo is waning.

-Noel

Monday, November 14, 2011 3:14 PM
  • When I try to rename it as an html file, it won't open.

@ wilhouse

You implied it would be a link to a .pdf.   Sounds like what you are right-clicking on is something else.   E.g. it may be hidden in some script, so what you are trying to save may be just the page's HTML.

As a comparison try with the .pdf link in this page:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/home/

(BING search for
         contains:pdf site:microsoft.com

-  just the first hit for a random example
    )

E.g. in that page do a Ctrl-f (Find) for PDF, press Esc, Tab...

Hmm...  even that page's coding is too complicated for what I wanted to demonstrate.

Ok.  We can toggle off CSS , e.g. press Alt-V,y,N  and then do the Ctrl-F and Esc.

In fact, when I do that, unexpectedly I see that the link it is contained in appears to have been given keyboard focus (e.g., it is contained in a box of dotted lines) so some of what I intended to do may be redundant at that point.

So, for completeness, after the Esc (to close the Find tool) press Tab and Backtab.   Notice that the link loses focus and gets it back again.   So now we are sure that the object of a right-click in that box would be a link.   However, to be sure that you don't lose that focus by misclicking outside the box I suggest using the Menu key (to the left of the right-Ctrl- key) or pressing Shift-F10 instead of trying to position your mouse pointer over it and right-clicking in it.  In any case verify that the menu contains the item  Copy Shortcut as well your  Save Target As...  Also, you could turn on the Status bar (Alt-V,T,S) and if necessary maximize the window to ensure that you can see the whole link, including in particular its .pdf extension.   Only then it would be safe to use the Save Target As... menu item in expectation of being able to download and save a .pdf file.

See if that procedure works for you with the above example and whether you can make use of its techniques to solve your problem with your example?

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, November 14, 2011 7:37 PM
  • Noel, I disabled all the add-ons and ran the site in compatability view. It did nothing different - ie., won't open the link

Robert. I went to the link you provided and could easily download the pdf.  I clicked on it and the save box came up with a .pdf extension.

I used your trick to get to the right link on WF and it's definately at the right place. It does not work. It opens the save box but the save item is, as you say, probably a script. I note the cgi reference in it.

In case you were curious, it works fine in IE8.  When you click on the link it just opens the pdf in a browser window.

I think it has something to do with how IE9 processes browser windows for embedded pdfs.

Any more suggestions?

wilhouse

Monday, November 14, 2011 11:27 PM
  • I just want to say I have a somewhat workaround for me at least.

My complaint still stands.

I don't mind the default save option in my personal environment, but in the enterprise with 1000s of computer illiterate people, they will inevitably have 100s of files in their downloads directory that they have never moved, or worse, don't even know that they are there. Having save as, as the default, means they *have* to choose a location, and hopefully (at least I really do hope) they will place the file in an appropriate location.

I found a bit of a dodgy workaround. If you can remove the users downloads folder, or point the downloads location to somewhere that doesnt exist, if you click save, you will be prompted with a save as window, because IE cannot find the downloads directory. By default it open in the location stored in this registry key:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
    "Default Download Directory"="H:\\"

Because I am working in a terminal services environment, I have rolled out a new manditory profile with these changes, and at the moment they seem to be working well enough. I have pretty much made save as the default.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 12:00 AM
  • the save item is, as you say, probably a script. I note the cgi reference in it.

In case you were curious, it works fine in IE8.  When you click on the link it just opens the pdf in a browser window.

Have you tried using a User-Agent spoof?   Simplest would be just trying Compatibility View button to get an MSIE 8.0 string.

Also, IE9 has a new tracer in its Developer Tools, Network tab.   So you could use that to find out what exchange happens when you use the Save Target As... command.    However, in order to trace the same scenario in IE8 you would have to use a separate tracer, such as Fiddler2.

Another possibility is the Content-type: and file extension not matching.   For that case there is an override available in the Security settings, Miscellaneous section.   The wording is different in each but the option being set and its effect is the same.

Another diagnostic you could try using for comparing the two cases is ProcMon.    I'm not sure what you would see that way except generally, some registry values being queried and some files being written to the TIF.   Having two very similar traces to compare is usually helpful even when you don't know what either one is saying specifically.   ; )

Good luck

Robert
    ---

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 6:14 AM
  • here's what it says in IE9:

/das/cgi-bin/session.cgi?sessargs=FZqyPcL70Ss9lFp-noa01E4TUHhUkq

I don't have IE8. Maybe someone can post what it says when you try to launch a statement.

wilhouse

Thursday, November 17, 2011 4:49 AM
  • http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/112232-internet-explorer-9-change-default-download-location.html

Here you can find how to change the default save location.
    (In a nutshel: ctrl+J > left under, button options > browse, choose folder > klick ok)

Sunday, November 27, 2011 2:19 PM
  • I don't mind the default save option in my personal environment, but in the enterprise with 1000s of computer illiterate people, they will inevitably have 100s of files in their downloads directory that they have never moved, or worse, don't even know that they are there.

Well, to be fair, once they (or you as admin) DO find them all there, it's one big delete to get rid of them.  It's possible it's actually better to have all the downloaded files in one place for the real non-thinkers.

-Noel

Sunday, November 27, 2011 4:05 PM
  • I completely agree.  Some of the cosmetic changes bugged me at first, like moving the menu bar below the tabs and the address bar (which still bugs me a little), moving the favorites from the left to the right (it took me a little while to find it at first, but now it's no problem), and not having the save as come up as a default.

Regarding the save as menu, it seems like an extra step has been added.   Before, if you wanted the default location, all you had to do was immediately click the save button when the save as window popped up, and if you wanted to save it somewhere else, then you could just immediately start navigating to the directory you wanted.  It was very simple.  But now there is the extra step of clicking on the dropdown and selecting save as before you can navigate to where you want to save the file.

Another thing I dislike is that I can't select specific default directories for certain file types.  As far as I have seen, there is just one default directory for all file types.  Another problems is that IE9 doesn't remember the last "save to" folder for individual tabs (but IE8 did do this which was fantastic.)  I would like to see a one-up of the IE8 method and actually have IE9 remember the last save-to folder for specific file types. 
    • Edited by Drockarius Tuesday, December 27, 2011 2:40 AM
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 2:19 AM
  • Another good point about the download manager.  I dislike that the download manager bar stays up once you start the download.  It's an extra step to close it, so it would be nice if it would have an option to minimize/close itself automatically.
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 2:26 AM
  • I agree with this as well.  I had installed the google search bar, which does allow searching with other search engines, but it caused problems so I had to uninstall it.
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 2:28 AM
  • Try the Quero toolbar (and remember to disable most all the Quero functionality, leaving just the search box):  http://www.quero.at/

This one works for me.

-Noel

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 5:34 AM
  • It seems pretty clear Microsoft thinks the added confusion and complexity (think "support cost") for the vast majority of moron-level Windows users would outweigh the added utility for the tiny group of smart, organized Windows users.

-Noel

Thats why I am going back to Opera. I used it some years ago when IE really s*cked an there was no Chrome. Came back to IE7/8 that were "so-so", but now with IE9 they changed some pretty simple and stupid things like this, and we have NO OPTION to configure anything!

This download issue makes me do 2 more clicks, or forget it and have to manually move the file or loose my download. And I don't use any of the windows lybrary/folders, because whenever I need to move my files I had headaches with permissions and dynamic contents. So I put all my files on a secondary disk, nicely organized and portable.

For those who said about right-clicking, there are some links that DON'T SHOW the "save as" in the drop-down menu, like the site inside MS where you download your certification stuff - the button creates the link AFTER being clicked, so if I right-click it all I will save is the button image.

By the way, the second reason for me to go back to Opera is because of the terrible "sub-pixel" font rendering in IE9 that can't be turned off. Too much sites are using small fonts, and this makes text even smaller. I don't want a smartphone experience on a 22" monitor, I want to read everything clearly and without stressing my eyes. Chrome does not have a setting for this. Opera does: set minimum font size. I choose 12, overriding all sites and making text readable again everywhere. (zoom on pages will blur all images. this way I can make text readable and still have crisp images).

thanks god there is Opera. 

• Edited by MauricioRPP Saturday, February 04, 2012 8:11 PM
    Saturday, February 04, 2012 8:10 PM
  • Going over to Firefox. Have had it with MS and their dicking around with "improvments". Google works because it is simple and consistent (although that is starting to change as well now.....).
    Sunday, February 05, 2012 2:57 AM
  • yeah great idea to turn to firefox.. that's even worse..

try using chrome instead. it does everything you want, just great!

and not to forget how extremely fast it is.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 3:04 PM
  • It does seem kind of funny that just having to click a little triangle on the right side of the Save button to get to Save As should be enough to push someone to use a completely different browser.  Sure, everyone hates having to retrain themselves to do things, but doesn't "switching brands" involve pretty much the same thing?

While Firefox is fun, Safari is slow, and Chrome is, well, Google software (which I dislike), IE has some definite advantages...  I personally like its security model, and I don't find it slow.  I run the 64 bit version of IE (have any of the others released a 64 bit build?).  It starts and is ready for me to navigate in well under 1 second, and it navigates between pages virtually instantly.  Pardon me, but I'm not seeing much not to like there!  I've already worked around the missing search box issue with Quero, have restored some IE8-like features with ClassicShell, and now it's smooth IE sailing...

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my new eBook: Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options

• Edited by Noel Carboni Wednesday, February 15, 2012 8:17 PM Added mention of Safari
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 8:16 PM
  • Workaround available below.

I ran into this issue for the first time yesterday. It occurred to me that if the default location was not writeable, the save would fail. Upon testing, it works as expected. The only downside is that the "Save As" window always starts looking in the default location.

Workaround: Set the default save location to a read-only location.

• Create a new folder (ex. "ReadOnly")
    • Open IE 9, then go to Tools > Downloads > Options (Shortcut: Ctrl-J)
    • Set the default download location to the newly created folder, then click OK to save the setting.
    • Right click on the new folder and go to Properties, the Security tab, and Advanced
    • Click on Change Permissions and then Add - Enter "Everyone" in the box and click OK
    • In the deny column (right side) fill in the check mark for "Create Files / Write Data"
    • Click OK all the way out

Best regards and good luck.

• Edited by Jon Rohloff Tuesday, March 06, 2012 6:39 PM Formatting
    Tuesday, March 06, 2012 6:21 PM
  • Workaround available below.

I ran into this issue for the first time yesterday. It occurred to me that if the default location was not writeable, the save would fail. Upon testing, it works as expected. The only downside is that the "Save As" window always starts looking in the default location.

Workaround: Set the default save location to a read-only location.

• Create a new folder (ex. "ReadOnly")
    • Open IE 9, then go to Tools > Downloads > Options (Shortcut: Ctrl-J)
    • Set the default download location to the newly created folder, then click OK to save the setting.
    • Right click on the new folder and go to Properties, the Security tab, and Advanced
    • Click on Change Permissions and then Add - Enter "Everyone" in the box and click OK
    • In the deny column (right side) fill in the check mark for "Create Files / Write Data" click OK
    • On the Advanced Security Settings Window called "Permissions" CLICK THE APPLY BUTTON and then the OK
    • Click OK all the way out on the remaining windows

Best regards and good luck.

Excellent after a year and half a workable work around, with just one step that appears to have been missed, I added them above. I tried this proceedure and just click ok all the way out and the permissions did not get applied, I went back in to see if I had missed something and it was simply to click the "APPLY" on the permissions window. I then tried a quick download hit the save button and the "Save As" widow opened allowing me to select where I wished the file to go .... Fantastic Thank You Jon Rohloff
    • Edited by Ghost_54 Friday, March 09, 2012 4:42 AM needed a couple more words
    Friday, March 09, 2012 4:27 AM
  • No disrespect to Jon - it's a neat idea - but I don't find this even a remotely acceptable workaround, honestly.  Having to navigate to a different folder EVERY time is just wrong.  It just moves the problem of needing additional mouse clicks to later steps.

If it doesn't default to the last place saved into, then it's essentially as difficult or more difficult to use in actual practice than just remembering to press the little arrow next to Save to bring up Save As every time, which if you've been downloading stuff since IE9 came out you have to be already used to doing.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBook: Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options

Friday, March 09, 2012 4:34 AM
  • As a long-time user of IE myself, and someone who actually likes IE 9 the best out of all releases so far, and also as someone who has defended IE in many debates...

This extremely inconvenient / annoying extra step (especially for someone like me who has to save an average of 30 - 50 files per day via browser) pushed me to start using FireFox 10 more and more lately, and ya know what I've discovered?

FireFox 10 is actually better than Internet Explorer 9. I can't believe those words just came out of my keyboard, but it's true.

And I'm not just talking about the main issue at hand in this thread - I mean, yes, the horrible decision that MS made that forces me to mouse down, click a drop-down, and then choose "Save As" 50 times a day is the main reason I found this thread, BUT...

I've also discovered that FireFox 10 is better / less problematic at other things. For example - in my web hosting control panels for my web sites there are forms that need to be filled in that IE 9 does not display properly without switching back & forth between Compatibility mode, whereas FireFox 10 handles them perfectly with no extra steps or "compatibility" necessary. There are more examples, but I'm not here to argue or convert anyone.

I just felt compelled to finally participate in this and let it be heard - thank you Microsoft, for releasing IE 9 which forced me to spend a little time with FireFox 10, which in turn made me realize that once again surfing / browsing / downloading can be easy and fun again and I don't have to be forced to surf like a noob.

While I will surely keep IE 9 for testing all of my web coding and I'll always stay updated to the latest stable versions of IE, FireFox 10 has made my days a whole lot easier even beyond just the annoyance that it trumps in this thread. I hate to say it, but I might actually be a true FF convert now. And it all started because MS didn't think it was important enough to address power-user's hatred for the new file saving features (or shall I say, REMOVAL / LACK of). So in a round-about way I really have to thank MS and IE9 ultimately for turning me on to FireFox 10. It's awesome!

And just in case there is any doubt or anyone thinks I'm just a FF fan, I can assure this - I've been a web developer for 16 years and IE has been my MAIN browser for over 14 of those years. (I believe I used Netscape for most of 1996 and early 1997, then  began using Internet Explorer.. version 3 I think it was).  So I can honestly say that after being so attached to IE for 14 years the idea of using FF for more than testing seemed a bit alien to me. But now that I've been using FF more each day.. wow... very nice alternative, I have control of my browser back!

EDIT - Oh yeah, one other huge annoying issue with IE 9 new downloader - no option to "close upon completion" of the download. Look MS - people like me know what we're downloading, where we want to download it to, and a lot times have no need to "open" the downloaded file right away. ALL you're doing is  HOLDING US UP / SLOWING US DOWN with these forced manual selections and closings.

Monday, March 12, 2012 4:17 PM
  • Why o why did you ever let Dr. Lanning put that second positronic brain into you, Sonny?

:)

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBook:  
    In development:

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

Monday, March 12, 2012 10:02 PM
  • @NightOwl,

"people like me know what we're downloading, where we want to download it to, and a lot times have no need to "open" the downloaded file right away. "

turn off Protected Mode, but you should turn it back on and reset your IE Security Zone settings back to their defaults when testing your web sites.

Rob^_^

Monday, March 12, 2012 11:22 PM
  • @IECUSTOMIZER - thanks for the tip on that, in regard to getting the download dialogue box to auto-close.

The thing is though - we shouldn't have to lose the simple option of the download completely dialogue box auto-close just for the sake of security. MS devs ccould make it just as easily do the object security scan without taking away our option to have the box auto-close when the file is done.

Just like the main issue of this thread/topic - MS tucking away the "Save As" option so that we are forced to have to go to a dropdown menu for it - they've dumbed IE 9 down to the point of it no longer being friendly to literate users.  

Thursday, March 15, 2012 9:02 PM
  • @nightowl

It is not the tech savvy user that MS is concerned about... protected mode is there for the novice user... some form of attacks are crafted to deceive users and suck them in.... It is an addional layer of security that asks... are you realy, realy sure? Except for a special ESP mode (not possible) I don't see how you could implement a better layer of security... tin foil hats?)

IE's security model is granular.... you will always have a conflict with usablility and security.... on the one end of the spectrum is a completely secure system... a pc locked in a safe with no keyboard or usb ports or internet connection... which is completely un-usable, v a public access PC that is accessible but extreemly vulnerable to attack.

I think that I am pretty tech savvy, but I still use protected mode myself... I know that I can still make mistakes... particuarly with high speed connections... clicking a crafted link my machine could become infected within a second... I do not find it an inconvenience any more as I have become used to it...

go over to answers.microsoft.com to view the questions asked by Bob and Betty users... the bad guys don't waste their time they fish where there are plenty of fish. Combined with SmartScreen filter... MS reckon they have stopped over a billion machine infections with virus and malware.

Consider touch enabled devices...which uses the html5 touch api....easy to accidentally touch a link, that could possibly launch and attack download. No wonder the smartphone security model uses only the App Store model to verify the legitimacy of downloads for consumers.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Thursday, March 15, 2012 9:39 PM
  • IE9 doesn't give the option of "Save target as..." for my downloads.  It's greyed out. 
    Monday, March 19, 2012 4:55 PM
  • After not downloading IE9 (on purpose) I finally had to as it came with the last update....

What a piece of cr*p.

I don't like the "default" save location at all.  I download files as part of my job and, regrettably, the sites some of my clients use to post documents only like IE, otherwise I would use Chrome of FireFox.

The ability to change the default from "Save to downloads" to "Save as..." would be an enormous improvement.  Honestly, sh*t like this is why I went to FireFox and then Chrome.  The inability of MSFT to see what the users want vs. what *they* think their users need has always been a problem.

I'm going to go check out the IE emulator on FF again to see if that add-on is working once again and I'll use that instead.  IE9 will be relegated to just getting to my work Online e-mail access from home. Can't say I'll miss it.

Monday, March 19, 2012 5:02 PM
  • I live and work within about 45 minutes of the MS Redmond campus. I've participated in more usability studies than I can remember. I've never done an IE study and I don't know if if they've ever even held one. I can't believe that if they did, that anyone who uses IE and has downloaded files more that once or twice would think that NOT being able to change the default save/save-as behaviour would be a good thing. I don't know why MS is turning a deaf ear to this issue. Maybe they've reached an age that, like me, THEY NEED HEARING AIDS!!!

I'd think that the good will generated by making such a small change as this would without a doubt be worth it. So how about it Microsoft? Isn't it about time for an IE usability study?

Monday, March 19, 2012 5:18 PM
  • After not downloading IE9 (on purpose) I finally had to as it came with the last update....

What a piece of cr*p.

Honestly, sh*t like this is why I went to FireFox and then Chrome. 

While I agree that it would be very nice to have the ability to make the Save As button the default (see what I've written above), is having to get used to clicking one little triangle to reach the Save As menu really enough to evoke profanity? 

I don't think overemphasizing things carries much weight with Microsoft.

Hate to say it, but from everything we're seeing you can be sure Microsoft is working to (over)simplify things in every corner and be more Apple-like, so don't get your hopes up that this is going to be fixed for smart/serious users any time soon.  It's no different in the Windows 8 / IE 10 Consumer Preview.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBook:  
    In development:

Monday, March 19, 2012 6:26 PM
  • IE9 doesn't give the option of "Save target as..." for my downloads.  It's greyed out. 

@Caundrup.... contact your system administrators/Help Desk... they control that.

Rob^_^

Monday, March 19, 2012 10:27 PM
  • Just returned from a ski vacation & was trying to download a vacation .jpg from epicmix.com & I got a "save as" garbled file name similar to what you posted that would not download.  I'm new to windows 7 & i.e. 9 & haven't got a clue on what is going on.  Did you ever resolve this download issue?  If so, how?  Thanks!
    Saturday, March 24, 2012 6:37 PM
  • @kismet7

for consumer help with Ie select the Help>Online Support menu from IE and follow the prompts for your windows and IE versions.

Include the full details of your issue including the web page address where you are trying to download from (from the IE Address bar) and the scrambled file name that is displayed in the save as dialog....

Your issues sounds like the file name used on the epicmix.com servers is in another language which your version of windows does not support. Nothing you can do on your end... you could also try the support links at epicmix.com

Regards.

Rob^_^

Saturday, March 24, 2012 9:00 PM
  • I would give that a hearty second. I am an online teacher and I have so many thousands of clicks in a day it is amazing. That all got worse. I need to be able to direct each of my papers to one of many folders every time I grade each paper.

I am not sure that this is a step forward at all.  Was listening to the comedy channel the other day and the comedian was asking the "tech guys" to just stop and do nothing for six months so the world could catch up with them. 

Who actually thought of this bottom scale as an improvement exactly?

Dr. Ruth

Thursday, March 29, 2012 2:33 PM
  • I avoided installing IE9 for a very long time, buy finally STUPID windows update installed it for me :(

Really hate IE9, this download thing @ the bottom of the screen and making me have to click on the drop down box to select save as, really sucks.

Today I had to download a bunch of drivers from HP and saving each file took forever, navigating to the bottom of the page each time and then having to rename each file to a more appropiate title, took 2 or 3 times as long as with any other previous version of IE.

Thanks IE9 :(

Friday, April 13, 2012 3:11 AM
  • It has been since Dec 2010 and there has yet a solution to this!? Microsoft, why are you going backwards, listen to your users and add the OPTION to set SAVE AS to the default! How complicated is that?!?! People usually have many many files to download, today I just spent 3 hours downloading files and every single FILE i had to change it to save as! Its such a TINY button too, it is beyond annoying! I havn't tried chrome or firefox to see if it fixes this. Imagine 200 documents, every single one i had to manually CHANGE it to "save as"! When a simple option change would have saved me hours of work. Im going to download and try Chrome and Firefox to see if they are SMART enough to do such a simple thing.

MICROSOFT PLEASE MAKE THIS CHANGE ASAP! You have had almost TWO YEARS to do it so go ahead and do it!

Sunday, April 29, 2012 10:25 PM
  • ...I havn't tried chrome or firefox to see if it fixes this.... Im going to download and try Chrome and Firefox to see if they are SMART enough to do such a simple thing.

You'll be glad you did!

In FireFox it's easy!

Just click FireFox > OPTIONS > "Always ask me where to save files"

Problem solved!

Bonus - you can ALSO choose to have it auto-close the downloads window when the download completes.

FireFox stomps Internet Explorer 9 into the ground, and I never would have started using it if it weren't Microsoft removing those two basic simple (yet so very important) features and ignoring our requests.

So again Thank You Microsoft - if it weren't for you blatant ignoring us and this crucial issue with IE 9, I would have never spent the past few week discovering how freakin' AWESOME FireFox is!  It's fast, it doesn't need "compatibility mode" in order to display online forms properly, and most of all it gives the USER FULL CONTROL. (Plus a bevy of extremely useful Addons, like FireBug and FireFTP).

For the record - I'm not a Microsoft basher - I'm a Windows user since 3.1 back in 1993, and an IE user since it came out. I'm here to post on this topic my experience and share it, so that maybe one day MS IE devs will eventually be given the green light to mend the CRIPPLED IE 9.

Sunday, April 29, 2012 10:54 PM
  • installed window 7 again and thought, what the heck lets try ie8 ,,,,wanted by files to be where i keep them so computer remains clean...2mins after trying to understand file downloading option .....now i am going back to fire fox bcoz ie 8 suckkkkkkkkssssss
    Thursday, July 12, 2012 4:18 PM
  • installed window 7 again and thought, what the heck lets try ie8 ,,,,wanted by files to be where i keep them so computer remains clean...2mins after trying to understand file downloading option .....now i am going back to fire fox bcoz ie 8 suckkkkkkkkssssss
    Thursday, July 12, 2012 4:19 PM
  • Wow, I thought it is just me who think its annoying to click downward arrow and select 'Save as' every time I download something. Microsoft listen to the people who are trying to get a simple change.
    Friday, July 13, 2012 8:44 PM
  • Voting this issue up.  Every other browser available allows the option to make the default download action "Save As..." or something equivalent.  While automatically saving all downloads to a single location may be convenient for some users it is not convenient for me and many other expert users.

It is an annoyance to have to track down the file one has just downloaded and move it to where one really wanted to save it or constantly have the extra step of clicking an arrow to reveal the "Save As" button.  There is plenty of room on that info bar, it would be much better if Save As was always visible instead of hidden in a menu.

Wednesday, August 01, 2012 3:15 PM

Regards,

Considering that Magon's last post in this thread was over a year ago, and the original suggestion/request was submitted almost 2 years ago, and the upcoming Windows 8 / IE 10 consumer preview shows the same behavior - it's obvious that Microsoft does not care about this and has no intention of changing it.

Fortunately both FireFox and Chrome have these features that we want and both are easily available. Both other browsers have also, in my opinion, now surpassed IE in usability customization and features.

The only reason to have IE any more is for Windows Update and page testing purposes. It's like a ball & chain now. 

Wednesday, August 01, 2012 7:14 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your suggestion.

Microsoft is striving to capture any and all product issues and product feedback so as to ensure that we are continuously developing Microsoft products to meet our customers' needs. Since IE9 is still a trail product, I believe it will become more pratical based on our users' feedbacks. This is exactly why feedback such as yours is always valued.

Regards,

Any progress on restoring this basic functionality?  As far as I can tell, nothing has been done--and all other browsers are leaving MS in the dust thanks to this issue.  In our working productivity environment, employees were saving files vie IE all day, but now that all have switched to IE9, we're going to have to switch to Chrome instead--in the absence of a default "save as" option.  This is a do or die issue and since IE10 still hasn't fixed this, we'll be looking to abandon IE out of necessity.
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 11:18 PM
  • Good lord, is having to click a little button to use Save As instead of Save really a "do or die" situation?  How inflexible are your users?

While I'm no fan of having to get used to the changed way things work simply for the sake of change, it actually IS possible to get used to the way it works in IE9.  I never stumble on that prompt any more.

I'm shaking my head, because if an insignificant thing such as this is considered so serious as to prompt discussion of changing to a new browser, I think you're going to be seriously put off by all the functionality that's been utterly removed in Windows 8.

Microsoft's management doesn't give a damn whether you switch to a competitor's browser.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Friday, August 24, 2012 10:32 AM
  • I'm not sure who your lord is, but yes, it's kind of a big deal.

Your specific use of the term "little button" is intriguing to me.

-Dave V.

Friday, August 24, 2012 2:36 PM
  • Noel, you're calling USERS inflexible? Explain to me exactly how increasing the number of actions required to achieve the same results as before in IE has made us users "inflexible".

Before this ridiculous change in IE it was simple - click a link to download a file, click save as button right in the middle of screen, and place the file exactly where we want.

Now in IE we - click a link to download a file, then have to nav the cursor down to the bottom of the screen, then target and click the drop-down arrow, and then finally we can select save as, then we can place the file where we want.

Sounds simple, no big deal to you right?

Yeah sure, if your job doesn't involve actually webmastering and having to download an average of 50 - 100 files per day.

But for those of us who actually do this for a living it's extremely redundant, pointless, frustrating, and a huge waste of time.

It's even more annoying and cumbersome when stuck using a touchpad on a laptop while on the go! That's a lot of extra gliding and swiping and selecting for absolutely no good reason at all.

So yeah, let's just call all of these legitimate complaints "inflexible user nonsense" and act like there's nothing wrong with this picture.

By that logic, nobody should complain if suddenly they had to go inside to complete payment at the gas station after swiping their card at the pump already.

In fact, that's the perfect analogy - let's use the simple common chore of stopping to fill the tank at a gas station:

* Before * IE 9 we could just swipe our card at the pump and just drive away.

* But Now * if we want to use IE we have to swipe our card at the pump AND then go inside to complete the transaction with a signature and then go back outside to the pump before we can drive away.

So tell me this Noel - if your favorite gas station implemented that backward change, should you be considered "inflexible" for speaking up about how absolutely stupid it is?

But you're right about two things for sure - MS doesn't care about this issue, and Windows 8 is really going to suck for power-users who know what they're doing with a computer.

The only thing inflexible here is the lack of option to change the default behavior of the browser to a more "grown-up" level of interaction.

Unfortunately we still have to use IE for testing (have to see how pages will look in all browsers) and of course, in a Windows-dominated world that's never going to change.

Fortunately there's FireFox and Chrome for those of us who have a job to do and want to do it in half the time.

Friday, August 24, 2012 3:28 PM
  • Hey, Noel, did you not write this?

"It's pretty clear that Microsoft believes that people just dump things wherever they happen to land on their hard drives.  This IE9 feature, Libraries, the half-broken Windows Search feature - all apparently designed to help bumbling users who have no clue about organizing things figure out what they just did.

"That's fine and good, but remember not to penalize the organized, smart folks in the process!

"These things should tend to get fixed when the people who can make a difference within Microsoft end up actually using the product.  That is, unless they fall into the "bumbling users" class."

Just sayin'.

-Dave

Friday, August 24, 2012 3:46 PM
  • Noel,

This isn't simply an annoyance, it is an excessive waste of time.  

IE9: Click download link, move mouse to bottom of browser, click popup menu arrow, move mouse to Save As, click Save As, Save As window appears.

Chrome or Firefox (after configuration): Click download link, Save As window appears.

IE9 requires 4 extra steps to get a Save As window.  Now imagine you are an IT manager who has to download 10 unique agent installers from an enterprise anti-virus or asset management server.  Those 4 extra steps are now 40 completely unnecessary, time wasting, carpal tunnel syndrome inducing, patently ridiculous extra steps.
    (Edit: Now imagine you are a web developer downloading 50-100 files a day as NightOwl1969 mentioned.  That's 200-400 extra actions; 100-200 extra mouse clicks and mouse moves.)

I would argue that someone in Microsoft's management cares whether people use IE or switch to a competitor, if nobody cared they wouldn't keep developing and releasing new versions.

-Sean

Friday, August 24, 2012 9:55 PM
  • I figured I'd take some flak about saying that.  All I can say is "get over it."

I make no apologies to you, nor am I an apologist for Microsoft.  I'm all for things working as well as they can, but in light of the tremendous travesty that is Windows 8, where you lose a huge amount of usability you know and love across the board, you guys are just splitting hairs here.

In any case, it's more than clear by now Microsoft doesn't give a damn how easy their software is for you to use.  But hey, knock yourselves out.  Remember, I'm just the messenger.

-Noel

Saturday, August 25, 2012 12:58 AM
  • No, Noel, you are NOT just the messenger. In fact, you're not bring ANY knowledge to this discussion. You're not bringing any message to the table here.

You're only antagonizing and insulting the users here who are using this thread is their voice.

You knew you'd catch flak because all you did in your previous post is insult the user's here. You're also condescending enough to think that all users should just think / work like you do.

We get it - you're fine with this ridiculous lack of functionality and you still refer to dialogue boxes and dropdown menus as "little buttons".

Please, step back and step OFF of those of us who really know what we're doing.

If you've got nothing new to add, then LEAVE THIS THREAD and YOU GET OVER IT.

We will continue to raise our voices to be heard.

Saturday, August 25, 2012 1:40 AM
  • you still refer to dialogue boxes and dropdown menus as "little buttons".

Like I said, splitting hairs, while the whole head is going bald...

-Noel

Saturday, August 25, 2012 4:27 PM
  • Noel, your continued assault on this topic clearly suggests you think it is ok to remove features that are friendly to advanced users in favor of forcing everyone to use features that were designed to hand-hold newbies and the technologically illiterate.  Good software design accommodates the needs of all users, not just the lowest common denominator.

Acting like this is not a problem and suggesting we live with a bad design is not constructive.  If you have nothing constructive to add to this conversation then you need to stop trolling and find a better use for your time.

Monday, August 27, 2012 7:01 PM
  • It's two years later and this problem is still outstanding. Any update? As others have said, this may make sense for home users but for enterprise users it's a real annoyance. We use Internet Explorer to download files from a lot of different clients, each of which has their own directory on the network.

Edited to add: Saving files from clients to user's personal directories instead of, or in addition to, directories on the production servers is the kind of thing that gives our security auditors fits. We discourage our users from using their personal folders for pretty much anything business related. Given how many business customers Microsoft has, I'm really surprised at this oversight.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 1:52 PM
  • Acting like this is not a problem and suggesting we live with a bad design is not constructive.  If you have nothing constructive to add to this conversation then you need to stop trolling and find a better use for your time.

I'm not suggesting you live with a bad design because somehow I like bad design, I'm suggesting that you have no freaking choice in the matter.

Did it ever occur to you that Microsoft has made it work the way it does now on purpose?  So that masses of moronic users would be protected from stuff just running when they visit a web site, infecting their computers.  They want a space to put up the message "That app's not from our app store, it's dangerous!".  And the button is set to Save by default without option so non-technical users won't have to think about what a computer disk file structure looks like.

You're just not getting it.  Microsoft doesn't give a hoot about what you or any other power user wants.  They only care about making their system cost them less to support, facilitating app store sales, and making it usable by masses of people who really don't have any business using a computer.

Go ahead, flame me here, mark my posts as abusive.  It's not going to change what you get from Microsoft.

Ask yourself:  How would Apple do it?  Because in case you haven't noticed Microsoft is trying to follow Apple down every road.

-Noel

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 2:07 PM
  • I am here because I Googled for a way to change the default to "Save as...".   I am searching because I just downloaded another file and got annoyed again, like I do every time I download a file.  It should be a basic principle of web and application design to provide ways to reduce the number of actions (clicks) needed to do a task.  NEVER should a new version increase the number of actions.  I have become numb to the messages that IE sticks at the bottom of the screen, because I can't be bothered to click them away anymore.  It's like swatting flies.  After the 19th fly, you say, "ah nevermind" and put the swatter down and have a drink.  Meanwhile the message blocks the bar at the bottom that tells me where a link goes to.  Eventually, it's like sitting in an African desert and you've got flies on your face and you don't care anymore.

Another basic principle is customizability.  I have a natural feeling that I own my own computer and want to make it more to my liking as much as I can.  The more that software allows me to make it more to my liking, the happier I am with the software.

Saturday, September 01, 2012 8:39 AM
  • So, there really is no way to customize this thing to operate how the user wants it to yet?  Very sad.

Yes perhaps we should lay down and wet ourselves as Noel the troll suggests. Or, we could continue moan and complain thus communicating our displeasure surrounding previously simple tasks. Taking functionality away is a very basic no-no.  MS should know better. At the base level, less clicks are better than more. Pretty sure that's an MS best practice.

Perhaps, MS means "Do as I say, not as I do." 

Anyone know if they hired developers for IE10 or did they leave the existing folks in place?

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 6:04 PM
  • I tried the Registry tweak provided earlier and it works enough.  [Disclaimer:  don't fool around in Registry because you could wreck your computer forever and so on.]  Open Registry Editor, navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main, find the line with Default Download Directory, doubleclick and change to a drive number that doesn't exist on your system ever (when you put in a USB drive or stick, it will get a drive letter).  I changed the location to K:\.

Now when I click on a file that I want to download, I still get the exact same message box, but clicking Save has a different effect than usual, and is now equivalent to Save as.  A window pops up for the C drive and I can navigate to wherever before saving.

• Edited by Thee Larch Tuesday, September 04, 2012 9:46 PM
    Tuesday, September 04, 2012 9:43 PM
  • This is why I dislike Windows ... Do this! ... It seems to work! ... But don't hack your registry!

Pfft.

-Dave

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 9:48 PM
  • Upvote Three Larch :) I tested this and it works swimmingly!

Here Dave, Make a file named something.reg and include the following

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]

"Default Download Directory"="Y:\\\\"

Assuming you don't have a Y drive you will be met with the lovely save as dialog. PS. I tried to use a non existent folder.Fail, it will exist after the click.

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 10:06 PM
  • While I agree that it would be very nice to have the ability to make the Save As button the default (see what I've written above), is having to get used to clicking one little triangle to reach the Save As menu really enough to evoke profanity?

Yes.  No, it's not hard to click that triangle, but all the additional steps for Each and Every download adds up to an extra 20 minutes of wasted time every day and additional RSI risks. MS should not be making products more laborious to use - it should be more efficient with each iteration. I've had it. IE is getting replaced with Firefox on over 800 desktops and servers. The additional clicking and wasted time is another reason we will not be deploying Windows 8 and Server 2012 until the regular Windows shell is available - this is a No Metro zone. Apparently MS didn't learn from their mistake when they tried to put the windows desktop interface on a phone and it failed. Now they want to put a phone interface on desktops and servers.... Common sense is apparently not a required trait at Microsoft.

Friday, September 21, 2012 4:23 PM
  • I echo your sentiments. Also, the "target" button is just a bit too small for my taste.

-Dave

Friday, September 21, 2012 4:45 PM
  • is having to get used to clicking one little triangle to reach the Save As menu really enough to evoke profanity?   

In fact (synchronicity) no clicking required:   "Tab, Tab, CursorDown, a" 

C.f.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ieitprocurrentver/thread/59e0e33a-0572-40dc-9191-2224774494cd

---

Friday, September 21, 2012 6:39 PM
  • Noel, the reason for forums like this is to bring up issues facing users in order to help the developer know what users want.  We  do have a choice in the matter, to use a different browser or make a registry edit.  Why you want to invest so much of your time to be argumentative is a mystery to me. 

You repeadtedly state that clicking the arrow next to "save" to get to "save as" is a small issue.  In an enterprise environment of thousands of users using roaming profiles, it is a huge issue.  I'd like to send all the questions about "where is my downloaded file" to you so you can understand.  I would also like to direct all of the nasty comments from end users to you about that, and you can call the teachers and students I work with moronic.  You can explain to them that their file downloaded to their hard drive, not their profile, and that is why they do not have access to it when they log into a boardroom computer to make a presentation.  You can also explain to them that all downloads are lost, as their hard drive failed and their computer was replaced.

Your arrogance at saying there are people who have no business using a computer is astounding.  Maybe people want to learn?

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 7:38 PM
  • All I can say is that if clicking that little arrow to select Save As - or just using the prescribed Downloads area then dragging and dropping the file to wherever it needs to go - is the worst thing you and your users have to worry about then I envy you.

In an enterprise environment of thousands of users using roaming profiles, it is a huge issue.

Huge, eh?  LOL, the Windows 8 dam has burst and there are much bigger fish to fry coming right at you at breakneck speed.

Don't get me wrong, I've reported things I'd like to see done better here as well.  I just no longer have any expectation that the things reasonable, thinking users want make any difference to Microsoft.

-Noel

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 7:52 PM
  • well said Thomas,

I have to agree with this suggestion. I have to change that download option to "Save As..." every time.  Would be very nice to be able to change it to the default option. It really bothers me.

Friday, November 02, 2012 10:25 AM
  • I see Noel is still being extremely helpful in this thread by criticizing users who want to voice their discontent with this important issue while he belittles it (and you at the same time).

Noel - don't you have anything better to do than troll this thread?

Let those of us who want our voices to be heard over this terrible feature downgrade come here and say what we have to say, without you continuously downplaying it.

The fact is - MS crippled a very important feature to us, one that is so easy to set in FireFox and Chrome and is vital to those of us who have to perform repeated download functions as part of our daily work, and this thread should be used to voice this very valid complaint openly without having you step in every five posts to tell us all that it's no big deal or things could be worse. STFU already and let the people speak!

(And IMO just the appearance and coding of the web pages linked in your signature that you're using to pimp your e-books says an awful lot about just how you view/use the web yourself. Sad.)

Friday, November 02, 2012 11:25 AM
  • Trolling, LOL.

All I'm doing is responding to people who address me by name. If you don't like my bumping this thread to the top where it gets more and more views, then you really don't understand how things work.

Read the whole thread, genius, and see what I've said. You can see that I started out singing the same tune as you, hopeful that something might be done about this. But Microsoft doesn't freaking listen, and they're too big to care. Proof of that is that IE10 works no differently. Don't blame that on me.

Thank you for your feedback on my web pages, though I couldn't care less whether you like the way they're coded. They get the job done, and they work right on every browser with every security suite, because I keep things simple and don't try to push unneccessary glitz or advertising on people.

-Noel

Friday, November 02, 2012 1:38 PM
  • There is no way to do to this from inside IE itself that I have found. But there are a few options:

1. Right-Click "Save Target as..." --nearly worthless option that fails in most cases due to modern website scripting!
    2. As others have suggested you can leave IE and use Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Dolphin, Safari or any one of the other browsers out there. IE is the slowest, least compatible and all around worse browser on the market anyhow.
    3. You can use a download manager like Orbit Downloader which will capture all download links and take over the download responsible from the browser.
    4. Or you can do as I have, in liue of problems with IE, Skydrive customer loyalty scam (aka lack thereof loyalty), Windows 8 Skydrive integration scandal (same type of lawsuit issues that pledged Windows Media Player and IE all over again…will they ever learn?), Microsoft’s habit of browsing into your personal files under the umbrella of their “content usage policy”, and of course the myriad of other Windows issues..., and that is to completely discontinue being a Microsoft customer.

2013 is going to be the year of freedom from all Microsoft failures and issues!

Microsoft's loyalty to their customers is non-existent so after nearly 30 years of doing IT support for them I'm calling it quits. My family and my business customers have all agreed to migrate away to the many better offerings that are out there. Goodbye Microsoft!

...and another giant dies under pressure of its own weight because it can no longer keep up with customer satisfaction!

Thursday, January 03, 2013 10:33 PM
  • I really dislike the IE9 download pop up window. I prefer right clicking on a file and having the option to choose where to save it, or to just read it online.

Recently, I have been unable to open my credit card statements and other pdf docs. I get the famous window with only SAVE or Cancel as options.

Save has a sub menu - SAVE AS. When I click save in the pop up, another window appears with a very long file name that doesn't include the .pdf extension.
    This IE window shows SAVE FILE AS  and ALL FILES is the only option. It then produces yet another window stating the file can not be saved.

So much for going paperless!!!!!!!

Is there a fix for this????

Thursday, February 21, 2013 1:16 PM
  • I also find this very annoying, extra clicks drive me nuts in almost all windows applications now and the OS.

Here is another perspective nobody has mentioned yet...

I have had a few eye surguries, vision is still good, but my pereferal vision is about 60% what it used to be. I lose the mouse pointer more frequently and such... not a big deal morst of the time.

This download bar that appears as pale yellow on a white browser at the bottom part of the web browser is driving me nuts. normally what your dealing with is in the top 50% of the browser window so when you click on something you don't immediately look downwards at the status bar area. Since my vision is messed up the appearance of the bar doesn't catch my eye. So allot of the time I dont even see it there waiting for a responce to the question. I think it's still performing the request and after 10 or so seconds it finally occurs to me and I notice it.

I really dont understand how something that you MUST respond to to complete your transaction is placed so far out of the way. It's as if there trying to hide it from you.

It woudl help tremendeously to put an option to make it more bold or flash a few times quickly. If I could set the Backcolor to Red and forecolor to white for just that it would help allot.

Darren. Professional Developer.

Friday, March 01, 2013 4:31 AM
  • This download bar that appears as pale yellow on a white browser at the bottom part of the web browser is driving me nuts.

I really dont understand how something that you MUST respond to to complete your transaction is placed so far out of the way. It's as if there trying to hide it from you.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2010/09/27/user-experiences-quieter-notifications.aspx?PageIndex=3

It says "quieter" and one of the comments mentioned "muting" speakers but I don't think that would imply "no sound at all".   So perhaps there is a Windows sound that can be heard when the Notification bar is shown?  I think that would have to be the case for accessibility reasons at least.  E.g. that would be a user's cue to use the Alt-n keyboard shortcut which is available for these scenarios.

Here's one which may help:  in Ease of Access Center.  Use text or visual alternatives for sounds:  Turn on visual notifications for sounds (Sound Sentry).   Default seems to be Flash active caption bar.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, March 01, 2013 3:11 PM
  • Do you really have to be a condescending ass?

BTW:  For someone who has "engineered software in computers dating back to the mid 1970s" your html skills are weak.

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 6:46 PM
  • Yeah yeah...

Back when I first commented on this thread and got so much flak for noting it's no big deal, I wondered a little bit about whether I was missing something.

I wasn't.  Sure, it would be nice if it were slightly easier to get a Save As button by default, but it's no big deal to click the little control to get the Save As choice.  If this is the worst thing you have to worry about then you lead a charmed life.

Oh, by the way, your opinion on my skills means nothing to me.  My successful worldwide sales of software?  That means something.

Happy Holidays!

-Noel

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 9:03 PM
  • I find that after I have set the registry value manually to an invalid location, the first time I click the save button, the behavior is as described:  I get the Save As window.  However, after I have performed a save once to a valid destination, the Default Download Directory is changed to be the destination I last choose in the Save As window and so this registry fix is only good one time.  After a valid directory is chosen once, clicking save for the next download does not prompt you with the Save As window, it simply begins the download process into whatever folder had been used previously.

I guess one could establish a script to merge this registry edit back in at some periodic interval, but I also note that once you have IE open, it does not read from the registry again during that session, so not only would you have to run a script periodically, you'd also have to close IE and reopen.

Thursday, July 03, 2014 8:19 PM
  • Just as with assigning an invalid (non-existent) location, this workaround only seems to be good once.  After you have used the Save As window once to point to a different location, your default location is changed to that location.  Looks like we need a way to prevent the Default Download Location from being changed by the browser once we have it set to what we want, like a read-only or non-existent location.
    Thursday, July 03, 2014 8:43 PM
  • This is definitely a problem because I never want to just save the file. I always want to put it somewhere specific or else it becomes a maintenance nightmare.

Think about the actual operation. If you want to download something then you want to put it somewhere in particular. If you just want to do the default operation on a file like run/view then you would just do that and skip saving it. The use case where it just gets saved to your downloads folder is certainly the least popular by a long way. Often this just causes people to have to move a file or go looking for it because it's lost.  

Saturday, August 09, 2014 12:31 PM