none
IE 11 won't install and IE 10 won't uninstall (Error 9C47)

Question

• I use a Toshiba Satellite laptop and Windows 7.

I'm sure many others have had the problem of Windows Update refusing to let Internet Explorer 11 install (Error 9C47). I have tried troubleshooting. In the updates section, the "important update" is IE 11, but one of the "optional updates" is IE 10. However, I already have IE 10 installed on my computer, shown in my Installed Updates.

I tried uninstalling the IE 10 shown in my Installed Updates but it will not uninstall, saying it "cannot be completed." This is the same message that comes up after trying to install IE 11.

I have also tried installing IE 11 directly from the site, which comes up with the same error. I tried to install IE 10 from the site as well, but the error message said I already have an updated version installed.

Please help, this is driving me insane.

Friday, December 20, 2013 6:59 AM

All replies

• Thank you, but I have tried everything on that page and I am still unable to fix the problem short of an entire system restore which I really, really want to avoid as there are some things I simply cannot back up. Is there any other options for me? I would specifically like a way to remove IE 10 as that is what seems to be causing the problem.
    Friday, December 20, 2013 10:48 AM
  • to uninstall IE10 run cmd as admin

FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*10.*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /norestart"

Friday, December 20, 2013 11:52 AM
  • but one of the "optional updates" is IE 10. However, I already have IE 10 installed on my computer, shown in my Installed Updates.

You probably already have IE11 installed too.  First run CheckSUR and see what it says (e.g. look at its logs).

Otherwise, note that another poster somehow managed to force IE11 to reinstall by renaming some of its copied modules

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie11_pr-windows_7/unable-to-install-ie11/9a3179e1-a04c-42b8-8050-2214d7a79bc2 

I'm not necessarily recommending that approach, just pointing it out.   ; )

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, December 20, 2013 4:49 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

Check the IE11_main.log in the \Windows folder:

Install problems with Internet Explorer 11

http://technet.microsoft.com/library/dn321445.aspx

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Saturday, December 21, 2013 11:55 AM
  • Thank you for all your help, people, but still I cannot install/uninstall anything Internet Explorer related.
    • Edited by Ravin7777 Tuesday, December 24, 2013 6:44 AM
    Tuesday, December 24, 2013 6:43 AM
  • Hi,

So we need the log file to check if there are any other clues for this issue.

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 1:23 PM
  •  still I cannot install/uninstall anything Internet Explorer related.

This does not give any useful feedback from the suggestions you have been given.  E.g., did you try using CheckSUR?  Did it run?  Look at its logs? 

If you are implying that you think you have been given fixes, that would be incorrect.  We are still in diagnosis mode, trying to get you to refine your symptom description.  Remember, your words have to substitute for what our eyes might notice.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 5:07 PM
    Answerer
  • I'm sorry. I meant to say that I tried everything that was suggested so far. Yes, I have tried checking the logs, and nothing seems to be out of order as far as I can tell, on both IE10 and 11. I can't remember every method I've attempted however.
    Saturday, December 28, 2013 10:54 AM