none
IE10 Scrollbar color issue

Question

• I have installed IE10 and I am wondering if there is a way to change the color of the scrollbar.  The light grey is so light it's hard to see.  I have tried a few things and searched around and come up with nothing.  I love the preview otherwise and would like to keep it but this one thing might make me use another as I swap back and forth between IE and Comodo Dragon.

Thanks in advance,

~Artt

Friday, December 07, 2012 4:39 AM

Answers

• Hi Artt,

scrollbar colors can be controlled by website programmers. Sorry, there are no browser settings to change the scrollbar colors for every site you visit.

depending on your windows version you can personalize your windows colors for scrollbar colors, which sets the default colors for all windows, including Web Browser windows.

Start>Personalize

Rob^_^

Saturday, December 08, 2012 12:29 AM
  • Hi Artt,

As IECUSTOMIZER said, there is no settings in Internet Explorer to change the scrollbar color for every website.

If you would like to change its color, you can try to change Windows theme downloaded from the internet to check the result.

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 10, 2012 3:22 AM

All replies

• Hi Artt,

scrollbar colors can be controlled by website programmers. Sorry, there are no browser settings to change the scrollbar colors for every site you visit.

depending on your windows version you can personalize your windows colors for scrollbar colors, which sets the default colors for all windows, including Web Browser windows.

Start>Personalize

Rob^_^

Saturday, December 08, 2012 12:29 AM
  • Hi Artt,

As IECUSTOMIZER said, there is no settings in Internet Explorer to change the scrollbar color for every website.

If you would like to change its color, you can try to change Windows theme downloaded from the internet to check the result.

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 10, 2012 3:22 AM
  • I have the same problems your having.

#1 I can hardly see the light grey on white "2D" scrollbar button. Changing the color of the button would alleviate this but the change that caused it is that it is now 2D not 3D.

#2 People keep posting answers to my question without actually reading my question or remedies that they haven't tried themselves. If they had, they'd know they DO NOT WORK!

The 2nd part is particularly irritating.
    • Edited by Sqrly Monday, March 18, 2013 6:15 PM
    • Proposed as answer by hasankhan Thursday, July 25, 2013 10:41 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by hasankhan Thursday, July 25, 2013 10:41 AM
    Monday, March 18, 2013 6:14 PM
  • I finally uninstalled IE10. Along with the "metro style" near invisible scrollbar button, too many sites fail to load correctely.

Be warned, if you do uninstall, you have no IE at all at first.

You must open the control panel > programs and features.

Click on "Turn windows features on or off" and reenable IE9.

Monday, March 25, 2013 5:04 PM
  • Microsoft has degraded our Windows 7 experience on purpose by drop-loading this Windows 8-looking IE10 bullshit on our systems via Windows Update.  I've held back for few weeks to give it an honest try, but here I come tonight to complain and lo and behold there's already a thread here, right on top.  

These flat, gray scroll thumbs cause a serious reduction in usability.  When it's difficult to see something it's difficult to see it, no matter how much you practice trying to get used to it. 

There's no getting used to this.  It causes a long-term, albeit small, reduction in usability.

It isn't about the color, it's about the style, which of course includes the color.  But those few little extra pixels that define the edge, and the lines within, are useful for helping us all spot that control, visually.  That's why they were put there.

Microsoft, who said it's okay to remove the proper, conformant visual styles from controls in applications you provide for Windows 7 users?  If I'd have wanted Windows 8 I'd have bought it.  You're breaking your own published standards!

Now we have flat, unrecognizable scrollbar thumbs in IE10 on Windows 7 that depart from standards and are barely visible instead of scrollbars that have the style of all the other applications, as defined by the theme of the desktop.  It's clearly a move designed to degrade the user experience for millions of Windows 7 users.

Do you children on the IE10 team think it's great fun to play "hide the scroll thumb" from all the old Windows 7 users?

I hope this offends you retards who put extra effort into the coding to specifically avoid adhering to the desktop standards of Windows 7 in order to try to make Windows 7 users like it less, because you sure as hell don't deserve any praise for making my computer work day a little more difficult.  If some executive forces you to do stuff like this, you need to tell him or her to kiss your shiny metal...

You're going to drive your company into the ground trying to manipulate people, instead of just engineering a good and proper product.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 2:32 AM
  • the odd thing is that whenever I remote VPN the computer the scroll bar shows up.
    Monday, April 22, 2013 12:15 AM
  • Hi,

Its to do with adaptive layouts in webpages. VPN will not recognize the media queries.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Monday, April 22, 2013 12:40 AM
  • Microsoft has degraded our Windows 7 experience on purpose by drop-loading this Windows 8-looking IE10 bullshit on our systems via Windows Update.  I've held back for few weeks to give it an honest try, but here I come tonight to complain and lo and behold there's already a thread here, right on top.  

These flat, gray scroll thumbs cause a serious reduction in usability.  When it's difficult to see something it's difficult to see it, no matter how much you practice trying to get used to it. 

There's no getting used to this.  It causes a long-term, albeit small, reduction in usability.

It isn't about the color, it's about the style, which of course includes the color.  But those few little extra pixels that define the edge, and the lines within, are useful for helping us all spot that control, visually.  That's why they were put there.

Microsoft, who said it's okay to remove the proper, conformant visual styles from controls in applications you provide for Windows 7 users?  If I'd have wanted Windows 8 I'd have bought it.  You're breaking your own published standards!

Now we have flat, unrecognizable scrollbar thumbs in IE10 on Windows 7 that depart from standards and are barely visible instead of scrollbars that have the style of all the other applications, as defined by the theme of the desktop.  It's clearly a move designed to degrade the user experience for millions of Windows 7 users.

Do you children on the IE10 team think it's great fun to play "hide the scroll thumb" from all the old Windows 7 users?

I hope this offends you retards who put extra effort into the coding to specifically avoid adhering to the desktop standards of Windows 7 in order to try to make Windows 7 users like it less, because you sure as hell don't deserve any praise for making my computer work day a little more difficult.  If some executive forces you to do stuff like this, you need to tell him or her to kiss your shiny metal...

You're going to drive your company into the ground trying to manipulate people, instead of just engineering a good and proper product.

-Noel

Yep! IE browser use is on a serious decline. A cool commercial, yet the browser still sucks, unfortunately. Here's hoping IE has the same fate as Netscape. Scrollbars.. uggg!
    Saturday, July 20, 2013 2:52 AM
  • @VSPIN

"Yep! IE browser use is on a serious decline."

nope..... read the stats. myfavoritebrowser.com

Can't you make an original constructive post instead of copying ones already marked as MS hater.

Rob^_^

Saturday, July 20, 2013 4:11 AM
  • @VSPIN

"Yep! IE browser use is on a serious decline."

nope..... read the stats. myfavoritebrowser.com

Can't you make an original constructive post instead of copying ones already marked as MS hater.

Rob^_^

I quoted, not copied as I agreed with some of what he said. The reason I posted was after searching and finding a post with the same issue, which is still unresolved. This is just one issue I've found.

By the way, your URL goes no where. Try: http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

The key word is "use."

I'm aware these statistics are not entirely accurate, however, they are good enough for me.

In 2002, IE had 86% percent. In 2013, IE has 13% and declining. In my book that's a serious decline.

And by the way, I could care less that the poster was marked as a "MS hater." It's a silly label in the first place. "Fustrated Windows 7 user" would be more appropiate.

• Edited by vspin Saturday, July 20, 2013 6:49 AM Added content
    Saturday, July 20, 2013 6:20 AM
  • Can't you make an original constructive post instead of copying ones already marked as MS hater.

Rob^_^

I'm not sure where you got that, Rob, but it sounds as if you're labeling me a "MS hater", because I just don't see that label anywhere else here.

I don't hate MS, but I won't tolerate mediocrity and stupidity because we've seen better.  And I'm not influenced by fashion or whatever it is that motivates fanboys to find virtue in the ridiculous changes for the worse we've seen lately.

If the truth hurts, don't blame the messenger.

Thank you for sticking up for what's real, vspin.  It's good to know there are a few of us around who don't have our heads up our shiny metal...

-Noel

Thursday, July 25, 2013 4:12 AM
  • good for u. another w3fools.com

Rob^_^

Thursday, July 25, 2013 7:01 AM
  • You are the idiot.

I agree w/people who complained about scrollbars, point is it is a tiny percentage of grievance caused since WindowsXP, which can be generalized as "disrespect of user settings".
    More MS employees are younger, dumber and suffer from mental disorders such as sitting on their rear all days thinking "how can I add more dialogboxes, buttons, "useful features" & other complications, to convince customers they're sheep and Iam in control, to disrespect their settings" ironically with more buttons/controls computers behave less compliant with customer's setting.  WORST is color/appearance schemes, back in WindowsXP era, when you set desktop colorscheme you [obviously] expected all programs behave as you set them to, nowadays more Microsoft putrid trash direspects my settings.

MSOffice startin 2007 thru 2013 - three colorschemes (3, no more!!), chosen by idiot programmer, not user, and NONE complies with system-wide setting, NONE --> no way to set MSOffice appear as normal programs respecting desktop/system-wide colors.

I let you fool boil in your own juice, and continue licking MS's rear end, while we people who WORK on computer, rather than play imbecile games or "watching videos of Kardashians' latest dress", people with reasonable IQlevel (note a fact: global IQlevels are dropping), know what todo.  IT COmmunity does not accept Win8, reason it sells is b/c as usual preinstalled on new machines so sheeply keep buying it, , OpenOffice is usable, Linux SUSE and RHEL is increasingly acepted in high-end Technical professions, etc, etc.

If my computer workday suffers usability-wise, there will be consequences.  Not good for you.

Sunday, August 25, 2013 4:34 PM
  • I HATE IE10 deciding for me which scrollbar color it would use, good old days of WindowsXP are gone and software increasingly makes choices for its user, DUMBIFYIG and alienating professional/powerusers.

I ask WHY, my scrollbars became putrid Lime/Green color in IE10, contrary to expected - which (expected) must be SAME as all other programs are set to use under Win-->Appearance-->Advanced-->desktop elements, most all programs respect system-wide setting (set under windows), but IE10 in its "Appleish" syndrome decided to enforce its own color selected by someone, NOT you the user.

Don't let me start with MSOffice beginning in 2007 and following 2010/2013 version - only THREE (3) color schemes available disrespecting system-wide color setting and those 3 are again chosen by someone NOT you, the user.

I used to enjoy working on computers, having customized every bit since early 1990's, but nowadays observe declining IQlevels in both customers and software vendors, in several cases outright STUPIDITY.

Office colorschemes limited to 3 & no possibility to respect system-wide setting as was upto Office2007 is one thing, now InternetExplorer10in a sinister trend decided to set its own color of scrollbars.

STUPID LIME/GREEN DISTRACTION IS IN MY FACE like a lightbulb danging in front of TV, for all its speed & safety, if I am annoyed by colors SOMEONE other than me the user selects, I will uninstall IE10 and goback to IE8 (or 9 as next, worse choice), or FyreF0x for Lord's sake.

Sunday, August 25, 2013 4:36 PM
  • You may try this:

1. Save following code as "scrollbar.css" in C:\

html {
    scrollbar-base-color: blue;
    scrollbar-arrow-color: white;
    scrollbar-track-color: #ccccff;

scrollbar-shadow-color: black;
    scrollbar-lightshadow-color: black; 
    scrollbar-darkshadow-color: gray;

scrollbar-highlight-color: white;
    scrollbar-3dlight-color: black;
    }

2. In IE, go to Tools > Options > Internet Options and click "Accessibility" button

3. Under "User style sheet" section, check "Format documents using my style sheet" checkbox

4. In the same section, click "Browse" and select c:\scrollbar.css file

5. Click OK twice and restart browser.

Saturday, September 07, 2013 11:19 PM
  • Hi mn_123456789,

I've just tried your kind suggestion and it worked great. Finally I can see the vertical scrollbar button on my IE 10. That is so nice after I couldn't see it so many times before which was quite annoying. I just changed some of the colors in your suggestion to fit my taste. Now it is as following here:

html {

scrollbar-base-color: gray;

scrollbar-track-color: darkgray;

}

So I have a gray scrollbar background and a darkgray scrollbar button which is nice to me.

Thank you very much 8-)

Bye, Dward

Friday, November 22, 2013 6:20 PM
  • Yes, that's a good tip.  Even just a one line change helps a good bit.

html {

scrollbar-base-color: darkgray;

}

Thank you, mn_123456789 for the tip and thank you to whomever at Microsoft who programmed the ability to change the elements, but no thanks and thumbs down to whomever decided to hide it there and expects people to use CSS coding to adjust how their browser looks to them.

-Noel

Friday, November 22, 2013 6:51 PM
  • Hi Noel,

wrong... the base scroll bar color can be altered with desktop metrics. Desktop>Personalize>Colors

Rob^_^

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 4:06 AM
  • So sure are you, Rob?  Please illustrate that relationship (I mean literally - show some screen grabs), because outside of that CSS accessibility change - which does work - I'm just not seeing IE scroll bar colors change here. 

Oh, and for the sake of accuracy, there's no such feature as Desktop>Personalize>Colors.  In the Personalization dialog there is a Window Color choice in Windows 7 and simply Color (singular) in Windows 8.

In Windows 7 there's an Advanced appearance settings link that takes you to a small Window Color and Appearance dialog, where you can select a scrollbar Item, but there is no way to change its color there.

It's my understanding that - though IE has pretty much divorced itself from the desktop theme settings - the color of most desktop scrollbars is hard-coded into the theme implementation, a change of which isn't possible in Windows 8+ without hacking. 

In my case now I'm most often using IE specifically with Windows 8.1.  However, rest assured I'm testing with Windows 7 as well.

Believe it or not, I actually TESTED some theme hacking with Windows 8.1, and downloaded a theme that changes the scrollbar colors, and the IE scrollbar color STILL did not change.  If it's related to some color provided by the theme implementation, it's not the one everyone else uses.

Oh, and I'd also like to point out that the IE programmers, while they may think they've matched the Windows 8 "flat" look and feel with their own implementation, have missed an important usability point:  Animation.  In most desktop windows if you hover over a scroll bar thumb it darkens to let you know there's an active element there.  This does not happen in IE.  Geez, guys, if you're going to do something, how about doing it right?

But please, Rob, by all means, if you know of a secret handshake I've missed that can improve the color or behavior of that almost indistinguishable scrollbar thumb on a properly calibrated monitor, share the specifics.

-Noel

• Edited by Noel Carboni Tuesday, November 26, 2013 11:29 AM
    Tuesday, November 26, 2013 11:18 AM
  • Solution is perfect - works brilliantly.

Thank you

Saturday, January 11, 2014 1:03 AM
  • You may try this:

1. Save following code as "scrollbar.css" in C:\

html {
    scrollbar-base-color: blue;
    scrollbar-track-color: #ccccff;

}

2. In IE, go to Tools > Options > Internet Options and click "Accessibility" button

3. Under "User style sheet" section, check "Format documents using my style sheet" checkbox

4. In the same section, click "Browse" and select c:\scrollbar.css file

5. Click OK twice and restart browser.

This works great. Thank you very much.
    Tuesday, February 18, 2014 6:57 PM
  • Default Colors:

html{
    scrollbar-face-color: ThreeDFace;
    scrollbar-shadow-color: ThreeDDarkShadow;
    scrollbar-highlight-color: ThreeDHighlight;
    scrollbar-3dlight-color: ThreeDLightShadow;
    scrollbar-darkshadow-color: ThreeDDarkShadow;
    scrollbar-track-color: Scrollbar;
    scrollbar-arrow-color: ButtonText;
    }

agree with Noel Carboni, this ModernUI is dumbfuck, same a removing the start-button, or the unwanted Firefox-Extension net-framework, a "glorious" idea of M$.

• Edited by fakeraol Friday, February 21, 2014 2:24 AM
    Friday, February 21, 2014 2:21 AM
  • Hi All,

Just in case you have the same issues as we did (and thanks for the above, which also worked for us), we've found that some monitors have a 'feature' (called "smart power" on Philips monitors, and other things by others) which reduced the power consumption of the display, but might as well be called a "cloak scrollbar" mode.

It's worth a quick check of your monitor / screen settings, as turning that off has made things a lot better for us.

Cheers.

• Proposed as answer by racock Wednesday, April 02, 2014 11:21 PM
    Wednesday, April 02, 2014 8:14 PM
  • Could someone please remove the "Answered" status of this thread?

Sorry, there are no browser settings to change the scrollbar colors for every site you visit.

The "answers" marked above are completely wrong.  Later in the thread a workaround (CSS snippet) was discovered that DOES alter the color of the scroll thumb for all sites.

As far as I can see the problem has yet to be resolved, so the thread should not be marked as answered at all.  The workaround - which isn't bad - is as good as it gets.

-Noel

Sunday, June 08, 2014 5:23 PM