Cookie Warnings [drive]:\%user%\ appdata\roaming\microsoft\windows\cookies\low\"cookie Name"

Question

• I have a Windows Vista Home installation I am working on, and it has AVG AntiVirus 9.0 installed. When on the web I recieve warnings from the "Web Shield" component that is properly identifying tracking cookies, and although it is set up to block these cookies from being placed on the hard drive in the cookies folder, it does not. That may be an issue for AVG. Nonetheless, I am curious as to why the file path name: "C:\Users\%UserName%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\%UserName%@m.webtrends[2].txt" includes: "Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low" and what it means? What does "roaming" signify? Does it mean my profile has some how been set as a "Roaming Profile" and if so what does that mean??? Also, what does: "Cookies\Low" mean?  Please help!!

Monday, January 18, 2010 6:21 AM

All replies

• This may be an old thread but I was looking for similiar informatioin today and after lots of research, here is what I came up with.

With the UAC (the evil Doom coorportation or the evil Microsoft function) enabled, users are treated as standard users and not administrators unless a need arises. Then the user is elevated to an administrator to complete the necessary task. This low level / admin level setting also affects Internet Explorer

When Internet Explorer is run in "Protected Mode" the program runs with greatly restricited privileges or at a "Low" access level. While in this mode cookies are stored in

\users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low

If UAC is disabled or off, cookies are stored in

\users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies

Basically, both are cookie directories, but the cookies in the "Low" directory were created while IE was running in low access or protected mode.

Friday, May 21, 2010 6:26 PM