none
IE 11 TABS NOT WORKING

Question

• Hello,

After hours of research and trying hundreds of "fixes", I am still having the issue of blank tabs.

So, MSN.com, I click on a link and its supposed to open a new tab for that link. When it opens the tab, the tab is blank. I literally have to right click on whatever link I wish to open, click on "Copy Shortcut", open a new tab and paste it in there.

I have tried reinstalling IE11, resetting all settings back to default, I have tried System Restore, I have tried opening IE with no add-ons, etc.  I have gone through hundreds of threads and tried hundreds of "solutions" but nothing has worked.

I am running Windows 7 64-bit SP1 with IE 11.  I have performed general system maintenance, ensured all updates were installed, etc.

I'm not the type of person to ask for help but I am really stumped on this issue. So, I need help.

Thanks,

Chris

Thursday, November 21, 2013 6:10 AM

Answers

All replies

• So, MSN.com, I click on a link and its supposed to open a new tab for that link. When it opens the tab, the tab is blank.

Interference from a popup blocker?  E.g. if it was the default popup blocker you could try pressing Alt+Ctrl-  while clicking on a link.

Does it happen in a safe mode boot?

In any case, use the Developer Tools to try to detect what is happening in each case.  You could also try running ProcMon to find and supplement whatever diagnostics you are already getting.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, November 24, 2013 3:10 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

Did the issue only occur in the specific webpage?

Please try to re-registry.dll.

Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.

Type regsvr32 actxprxy.dll in the Open box, and then click OK.

If the command was successfully executed, you will receive the message ‘DllRegisterServer in actxprxy.dll succeeded’ window.

Restart the Internet Explorer.

For more information, please see:

Nothing happens when you click a link in Internet Explorer

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/175775#method4

Hope this helps,

Ada Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, November 25, 2013 8:12 AM
  • Okay, so its not an issue with any one site. Ive narrowed it down to a Windows/IE problem.

I have tried the following commands:

regsvr32 urlmon.dll

regsvr32 actxprxy.dll

regsvr32 mshtml.dll
    regsvr32 shdocvw.dll
    regsvr32 browseui.dll
    regsvr32 msjava.dll

The two commands in BOLD completed successfully. The commands in regular font did not. It seems as if the .dll files are missing or corrupt. I ran sfc /scannow and it returned no issues detected.

I have tried all solutions listed in the http://support.microsoft.com/kb/175775#method5 KB site but to no avail. I still cannot get IE working properly. I have performed System Restore back to the earliest point available and have even uninstalled and reinstalled IE11 but still suffer the problem.

Again, the issue is: When I am at any website and I click on a link of any kind and that link wants to open in a new tab, it fails. The tab opens, but remains blank and nothing happens. This happens for all links on all sites.

Any other ideas?

c. shinneman

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 1:13 AM
  • The commands in regular font did not. It seems as if the .dll files are missing or corrupt.

No.  You're just trying to use old technique with a newer version of IE modules.   Use DependencyWalker to see why those don't work any more.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 5:16 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

Here is a article point to IE8 about the same issue, the solutions in this article may also work in IE11.

Internet Explorer 8 Is Not Displaying Pages or Opening Links

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/1297.internet-explorer-8-is-not-displaying-pages-or-opening-links.aspx

Hope this helps,

Ada Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Sunday, December 01, 2013 3:00 AM
  • Okay, So I have tried all solutions posted above and nothing has worked. I still have the same problem. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Chrios

c. shinneman

Monday, December 09, 2013 7:12 PM
  • Hi , Yes Im having this exact same issue. "Open in new Tab" just opens a plank page.
    Have all the latest Microsoft updates.
    -Started without addons even tho there are no extensions installed.
    -Tried all the advice above, and other solutions but nothing is working.
    -Uninstalled Classic Shell (what a lifesaver that application is!)
    Noting fixes this issue.
    Actually had the issue in IE9, IE10 and now IE11. So its probably something external to IE itself,
    Has anyone found and fixed this issue I wonder?

UPDATE:

Problem fixed using this program:
    (new here so not allowed to post a link)

Complete Internet Repair is the application's name and it can be downloaded off of cNet via download(dot)com. Out of all of the available options to choose from I checked Repair Internet Explorer ONLY.

http://download.cnet.com/Complete-Internet-Repair/3000-2094_4-75332305.html

Im not sure what particular action, of the many it performs was responsible for the fix but its now working ok. Reinstalled Classic shell and still ok.

• Edited by lemoncurry Thursday, December 19, 2013 11:27 PM
    Thursday, December 19, 2013 11:03 PM
  • Lemoncurry,

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!! I have been working on this problem for months. Links would only open a blank tab. This worked for me. THANK YOU!!!!

Monday, December 30, 2013 6:34 PM
  • Worked for me after nothing else would!!  Thanks!!  You are a genius!!!

Saturday, February 08, 2014 2:34 AM
  • Brilliant! Worked for me. Now I am able to view images again. Microsoft Engineer tried for an hour last night when remoting to my machine and couldn't get this to work. Nice little program. Thanks for the link.
    Friday, April 11, 2014 11:44 PM
  • I wouldn't be downloading stuff of any kind from cnet,

It specializes in adware,

So you most likely swapped Adware for Malware or a browser hijacker,

Review Jacee’s instructions to run Adwcleaner here on post#7,

Ignore the title of the thread,

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/316404-instant-savings-app.html

Or download it from bleepingcomputer.com

Screen shot of the download button to use for Adwcleaner

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

Saturday, April 12, 2014 2:44 PM
  • Just re-booted and have this exact same issue.
    It's been working fine for months, and suddenly today 'Open in new Tab / Window' opens a blank page.

Windows 8.1 x64
    Internet Explorer 11

Sunday, April 13, 2014 4:56 PM
  • I have had this prob for months, too. When searching on Google, I normally use Ctrl+Click to open a link in a new tab; then I can Ctrl+Click on other links I want to look at. The new tabs open, but when I select them, they are blank white.

WORKAROUND: select a new tab and then press F5 (refresh) which then loads the required page.

This also works in Google Image search: Ctrl+Click on a thumbnail and it load a new tab; but this is BLACK. Again, press F5 to refresh, and it loads the image.

I uninstalled (rolled back) IE11 to IE10, but had the same probs. Reinstalled IE11 and still the same probs. (Funny - this problem doesn't happen on Chrome or Firefox... ;-))

I haven't found a fix though.

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 12:34 PM
  • I haven't found a fix though.

Recently I noticed that Support seems to think there is new life in regsvr32 commands.   Note that this time they are recognizing some important details about trying this tactic:  start from an elevated cmd window (Administrator Command Prompt), re-register both 32-bit and 64-bit modules, use switches which seem required.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2574731/en-us

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 2:59 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks, this restored my tabs AND my sanity!
    Wednesday, May 21, 2014 10:40 PM
  • Hi. I had the same history of Chris and finally after dozens of trials I could resolve the problem with you help. Thank you, thank you, thank you very much.
    Friday, August 29, 2014 5:58 PM