none
Internet Zone display on Status Bar

General discussion

• Good day.

Not a huge issue, but a bit cumbersome.  We run our IE installations with tightly controlled security zones.  When troubleshooting scripting issues for end users, the first question I ask is "which zone displays at the bottom of the IE window".

I am currently testing IE 9 (the actual released version...not the beta, but there's no forum on the released version yet) in our environment before rolling it out to everyone and I have found that while there is still a status bar at the bottom, it no longer displays which zone the currently displayed site falls under.

Is there a way to restore this functionality (I'm sure I'm missing a checkbox somewhere).  This is very useful when troubleshooting and is truly needed in our environment.

Regards,

Scott

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 5:37 PM

All replies

• Hi Scott

We moved the zone information from the main view to keep the look and feel clean, as most users don't need to see this. For troubleshooting purposes go to file menu and choose properties, where you'll be able to see the zone and protected mode information.

Regards

Mark Feetham
    Senior Program Manager | Internet Explorer Product Quality

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 6:54 PM
  • I don't understand the rationale behind that decision and I agree with Mr. McBride that having the Zone listed on the status bar is very useful for troubleshooting.  If you've got the status bar why not, you know, add status indicators to it?  What's the point of even having it as an option if all it displays is the zoom level?

Please give us an option to display the Zone status and Protected Mode status on the Status Bar.  If that isn't an option then at least rename the Status bar to Zoom bar.

Thanks!

Scott

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 5:58 PM
  • Mr. Feetham,

I understand the rationale, but would it be possible to leave that option up to the user?  Right now, the only thing showing in the status bar is the zoom factor.  Having the current site's zone listed next to that used very little room and was immensely helpful when using the zones as they are intended to be used (by controlling what you allow specific sites to do).  If a site isn't functional, the first thing I have my users check is which zone it's in (internet, trusted, or mixed).  Having that information available at a single glance what what I felt (as an end user) that the status bar was for (the status of the current site).

You all did a fantastic job of having a clean interface...I was able to, within seconds, add and move a few display items back to let me have an interface that kept the new feel while still allowing me to reference or access what I need at a glace or with a single click....with the exception of the current site's zone.

Even if you have it off of the status bar by default, having the option to add it back would allow the end users that frequently use that information to continue to be able to see it quickly.

Also...I truly appreciate you as the senior program manager, taking the time to read and answer my post.

Regards,

Scott McBride

Thursday, March 17, 2011 3:15 PM
  • I completely disagree with Microsoft's decision to remove the security zone display from the status bar.  You don't know how many times it has helped me solve customer issues.    We have a special web application that requires Trusted Zone.   Sometimes, our customers will email us a screen print of the error they get.   One quick look at the status bar in the picture, and we would be able to tell if the customer has added our domain into the Trusted Zone.

I wish Microsoft would stop trying to change things for the sake of changing.  Sometimes it is just better leaving things alone.   The security zone information has been in all previous releases.   And I am sure there weren't a massive complaints from users about the information being on the status bar.   So, why all of the sudden you would want to remove it?

This is the same kind of problem when you guys decide to use the F12 key to bring up the Developer Tools screen.  Our application uses the F12 as a hotkey.  Now, we are having to reprogram many of our screens.   How many users do you know that would be interested in seeing the Developer Tools window?  Probably not many, except for IT professionals.   So you went to all the troubles to introduce something new to help IT professionals, yet, you take away the security zone information.  

Please stop changing so much!!!!

Friday, March 18, 2011 1:45 AM
  • Hi,

If you have any feedback about Internet Explorer 9, welcome to let Microsoft know.

https://connect.microsoft.com/IE

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, March 18, 2011 1:56 AM
  • Good day.

I have submitted feedback to the "connect" site as you recommend.  That's excellent advice, thank you.

It is good to know that other users besides us are experiencing this same frustration.  However, I would like to point out that, aside from the missing information on the status bar, we are very satisfied with the speed and stability of IE 9.

This isn't a major issue, but it's one that if the functionality is returned, would allow us to continue easily troubleshooting website scripting and functionality errors for end users.  As noted, our first question to users is usually "what zone does the display say the site is in?".  The display as it worked would also show when you were in "mixed" zone...meaning that the main site was trusted, but a subdomain or site in a frame was not trusted...that information is invaluable to us.  As far as I know, doing "file-properties" to see the zone does not show "mixed" zone (but I simply may not have found a good example yet).

Thanks again for reading the post and listening to the end users.

Regards,

Scott McBride

Friday, March 18, 2011 1:08 PM
  • Just an update.  After filing out the feeback form, it was marked as "resolved" with this response:

Thank you for your feedback. We were able to reproduce the issue and are already aware of the issue.
    IE9 final version released.

Best regards,

The Internet Explorer Team

I'm already running the final version and that's where this issue is located.  The response I received was ambiguous as to whether it's being taken into consideration, reviewed, or I'm simply being told "no".

I'm cool with it however it's decided, but I was just hoping for a more solid answer than "we're aware of it".

Regards,

Scott McBride

Friday, March 18, 2011 2:02 PM
  • For troubleshooting purposes go to file menu and choose properties, where you'll be able to see the zone and protected mode information.

Just "seeing the zone" completely misses the point of the functionality which was available using those Status bar buttons.   They were buttons, shortcuts to functionality.   All we had to do was doubleclick on them and get somewhere quickly usefully.  A long time reported deficiency was that much of the functionality down there was obscured because the buttons didn't have any icon.  So what happens?  Instead of fixing the deficiencies the functions are removed.  This seems to be a new SOP for MS development these days, fix bugs by removing the functionality which they are contained in.

---

Friday, March 18, 2011 2:50 PM
  • I completely agree with Robert. Hopefully the PG will take the input and bring back/fix this feature in a later hotfix/service pack. And for the future: please ask experts(such as MVPs, etc.) what they think about a new feature or the removal of features!

Another example of a completely useless change was the move of the favorites menu to the right hand side. ALL of my users were LOST after we installed IE9! Please don't change things just because you can! Or just to be inline with other browsers...that is not necessary!

Thanks

Christian

Saturday, March 19, 2011 9:29 AM
  • Another example of a completely useless change was the move of the favorites menu to the right hand side. ALL of my users were LOST after we installed IE9! Please don't change things just because you can! Or just to be inline with other browsers...that is not necessary!

Christian,

That one was so far off the wall that I was more or less convinced that it was just being done to get some initial functionality out which would have to be changed before a release, akin to some of the really dumb usability defects which came with IE7 Beta, where we were told "Please don't report UI defects, this is not the finished UI."   Naturally it all got baked in because the developers ran out of time for their schedule and "WAD/BAD" is what we are left with.  SOP.

Robert
    ---

Saturday, March 19, 2011 2:22 PM
  • Good day.

I was just wanting to post and see if there were any further informaiton on the original question.

This is the only main issue keeping our company from distributing IE9 to our clients.  Again...not a major loss of functionality, but an issue that will cause troubleshooting problems, as it will take more "detective work" when trying to troubleshoot site functionality issues.

I never intended this thread to turn into any "bashing", or be a combative thread at all.  However, it does illustrate end users' frustrations with things being changed that simply don't make sense.

IE 9 is a very, very fast browser, and very stable.  The new interface is nice, but being able to keep the items we use regularly from the previous UI is/would be a very valuable feature.

Regards,

Scott

Monday, March 21, 2011 11:09 AM
  • This really is a terrible idea, and I don't think the explanation makes any sense. The status bar no longer displays by default, so most users will never see it anyway (another decision I disagree with, but it is what it is). It should be obvious that if I turn the status bar on it is because I want status information. I submit that it is entirely reasonable to assume that a user who goes to the trouble of displaying the status bar will, at the very least, not mind too much if it displays important security information about the page.

Instead, we have to go the File menu, which also doesn't display by default. I'm with ScottMcBride - troubleshooting this sounds like a nightmare. "Okay, now go to the File menu, and click Properties. What? No, you're looking at the File sub-menu of the, I don't know what you call it, the gear menu, I guess. You want the real File menu. If it's not visible you have to press the Alt key. No, don't hold it down, just press it. Now, select the--what? No, you have to click the menu immediately after the menu bar appears. If you do anything else on the page it goes away and you have to display it again. So, press the Alt key again. No, don't hold it down, just press it..."

I'm surely in the minority on this, but I believe that Google Chrome has been one of the worst things to happen to user interface design in the last ten years, and it burns me up to see IE9, which is a fine browser otherwise, jumping on the bandwagon and stripping important and useful functions out of the UI for fear they'll confuse and frighten newbies.

Friday, March 25, 2011 5:01 PM
  • Status Bar is hidden by default. The goal of "keep the look and feel clean" is already achieved by that. I don't think removing the zone information from Status Bar makes any sense.

When I opt in to Status Bar, I really want to see the status. Please bring the zone information back to the bar.

Friday, March 25, 2011 7:15 PM
  • used to be when I got directed to some awful internet site that showed an animated display of a security scan occuing on my computer, I could click the ZONE at the bottom, and immediately add the site to the restricted sites zone before the fake scan was through (where it would offer repeatedly with no escape to install malware on my PC). Adding to the Restricted Sites would prevent the perpetual prompting, and was available in one click.

Now, for a cleaner look and feel, I can click on Tools, Internet Optio.... ah, the install prompting has started, there's no escaping it now...

This is also so not going to go over well at the rather large bank I work at... Troubleshooting 101 is look to the lower right hand corner.

Thursday, April 14, 2011 4:14 AM
  • I couldn’t agree more that removing status from the status bar makes absolutely no sense at all. The status bar is not there by default, so there is no UI improvement by removing zone information. I think Microsoft is making a very ignorant and short sided move in removing this information. Perhaps, most consumer or home users do not want to see or care about this information, I but 100% of all the corporate users and businesses that I work with are trained to look at the status bar for zone information. Please bring back the zone information!!! Why would you even keep the status bar as an option if the only thing on it is the zoom percentage? Whoever made this decision at MS should lose their job. No wonder Firefox and Apple are taking huge market share from Microsoft.

Monday, April 18, 2011 3:02 AM
  • Thank you all for taking the time to provide feedback. I will represent this to the Feature Team concerned for consideration.

In the mean time in addition to the workaround already provided you can also display zone information with a right mouse click on the page and then properties.

Regards

Mark Feetham
    Senior Program Manager | Internet Explorer Product Quality

Friday, April 22, 2011 8:25 PM
  • Although a right mouse click on the page then properties works in IE, it does not work with a Windows Explorer window.  In XP we could turn the status bar on and see that some of our network folders were showing up in the Internet zone and thus requiring users to authenticate.  Or they could double click the zone and add an entry to their Intranet zone and the issue would be resolved.  Now I can't determine on an W7 system what zone it thinks a folder (UNC) is in.  Ideas?
    Monday, April 25, 2011 6:46 PM
  • Losing the ability to view what zone you're in in the status bar is a major step backwards for IE9. I understand the desire to clean up the UI and hide the status bar by default but why remove the very useful troubleshooting and security feature of showing your current zone in the status bar? Isn't that the point of the status bar to show your (zone) STATUS? Please add this feature back ASAP.

Thanks

Loran

(Corporate customer with 6000 Windows computers, currently upgrading to Win7 and IE9)

Thursday, April 28, 2011 3:59 PM
  • I agree that removing the Internet Zone in the Status Bar makes no sense.  While I can pull up the Properties of the page to view the zone I'm in by File > Properties or right clicking the page, I can no long double click on the zone to immediately jump to be able to edit my Zones.  Now I'm forced to Tools button > Internet Options > Security tab instead just jumping quickly to the section I wanted with one double click.  Why would Microsoft remove this from the Status Bar, (which by turning on indicates the user is opting-in for more STATUS information), and they only keep the Zoom level?  Who's IE horizontal window size is that small that the Internet Zone & Zoom level cannot both fit in the Status bar?
    Tuesday, May 03, 2011 7:07 PM
  • Now I'm forced to Tools button > Internet Options > Security tab instead just jumping quickly to the section I wanted with one double click.

Actually you can do better than that using a Favorites Bar (Links bar) button which does (via a Desktop shortcut (aka .lnk file))

rundll32.exe  inetcpl.cpl,LaunchSecurityDialog

I don't think that would capture the current tab's zone though, so be wary of that difference.  Actually my guess would be that there might be another parameter you could use which would pick the tab to be shown.  In that case you would just need to be able to script that based on whatever you were able to extract via the  File, Properties  reply.  Perhaps you could do  SendKeys()  to do that?  Then the real trick would be getting the button to change its icon to match that of the current tab's security zone.  Then you would have successfully worked around all the lost functionality as a result of this change.  ; }

FYI

Robert
    ---

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 2:09 AM
  • Thanks for the prompt reply! These forums are great!

From a quick troubleshooting standpoint, the Security Zone is required somewhere on the screen. MSFT has done an OUTSTANDING job on IE9, but this is one of those things you just have to have on the screen--if not on the status bar, then somewhere.

I will be keeping our 8000 computers on IE8 as well--with so many higher-level GPOs implenting Security Zones, there is no wy we can take advantage of the new feature of the missing Security Zone.

Again, thanks for the quick response!

Mark Schroeder
    Thursday, May 05, 2011 2:21 PM
  • Yes, the loss of the info, and access to Internet Options, provided on the status bar is a major problem for me. I agree, why have a status bar if it's not showing any status info. I suppose it's now a Zoom bar? If this was the only problem, or if the movement of the favorites menu to the right side of the window were the only problem, I might learn to live with either. But together, I'm going back to IE8, while I investigate Firefox, or some other browser, for the first time. If I had to get used to this much new stuff, I might as well learn a whole new browser, and hopefully one that doesn't reinvent itself with every upgrade. I've been defending IE for a long, long time. But there's not much left to defend any more. I'm sorry, but I've given MS a long, long time, and many, many chances. I'm afraid I will soon be bidding fairwell to IE.
    Brynn
    • Edited by BbrynnN Tuesday, May 10, 2011 8:22 PM try to create paragraphs
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 8:15 PM
  • try to create paragraphs

There wasn't anything funny about your HTML except for the HR.

Just hitting Enter creates a new paragraph.
    Hitting Shift-Enter creates a new line (e.g. br within a p).

Is the claim that I am going to lose my formatting when I post?

---

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 1:45 AM
  • Add another voice to the mix that thinks this change is definitely NOT warranted. So many points have already been made it seems useless to make them again, but the fact that the status bar is already hidden, and when shown has TONS of open real estate makes this choice utterly amazing. It was VERY useful to see the zone immediately and be able to double-click on the area to immediately pop into the screen to edit security.

Please figure out how to bring this back quickly!

Friday, May 13, 2011 2:25 PM
  • And another one to request the return of status information about zones.

For support we often ask for a screen print to try and resolve issues. Many times we have been able to close probles quickly just by looking at the Zone information. It's not practical to ask for the page and a properties box to be added to every screen image.

Please bring this back! If you are concerned about clutter, the add a right click option for the status bar to select what elements should be shown as is the case in MS Word / Excel etc.

Regards,

Geoff

Friday, May 13, 2011 5:27 PM
  • Hi Scott,

If you really find it sucky using microsoft products.. i would suggest that you to used some other OS ?

Stop complaining.. but move on and do something which is more productive in life.

Guowen Su | CCNA, CCIP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP, CEH | http://www.microsoft.com/en/sg/default.aspx Our Goal? VERY SATISFIED Customers. If you're not...let's talk!! Please don't vote me for answers... because i does not want others to feels that i'm cheating ? :) In any case God knows :)
    Saturday, May 21, 2011 5:05 AM
  • I, as many others, are strong proponents of Microsoft products! We LOVE Microsoft and everything about them! We are VERY SATISFIED customers! :) With very few exceptions, every new version, of any product, is significatly better than the last.

I think I just have not yet been given an answer that makes sense to me on this Zone information not displaying on the status bar. It just seems there are a lot of reasons to have it, but no significant reasons not to have the option to restore it.

It is not that IE9 is a bad productl it's just a lot of folks depended on that zone info. Thanks!

Mark Schroeder
    Saturday, May 21, 2011 6:42 AM
  • It's interesting to see the status bar is now the zoom bar, indeed. Missing zone indicator option...

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 11:28 PM
  • I don't understand the rationale behind that decision and I agree with Mr. McBride that having the Zone listed on the status bar is very useful for troubleshooting.  If you've got the status bar why not, you know, add status indicators to it?  What's the point of even having it as an option if all it displays is the zoom level?

Please give us an option to display the Zone status and Protected Mode status on the Status Bar.  If that isn't an option then at least rename the Status bar to Zoom bar.

Thanks!

Scott

Yes I agree to that.  The Zone info is VERY important, so I have desided to uninstall IE9 and go back to IE8 so that I will have the Zone status and Protected Mode status on the Status Bar.

I will not have IE9 as long the Zone status and Protected Mode status on the Status Bar is gone.

Pleese fix that or make a plugin that give us back the Zone status and Protected Mode status on the Status Bar.

Thanks!

Nisse

Sunday, August 21, 2011 10:02 AM
  • Just wanted to chime in as well, ran into this issue today while troubleshooting zone issues. We recently upgraded to IE9 and I can't believe MS would just remove this feature? It makes absolutely no sense. The status bar is already removed by default. Now it contains nothing but zoom? Wow what a useful "status" bar that is. Give your head a shake MS; why remove functionality for no bloody reason? Now I wasted a half hour trying to figure out how to view what zone a website is in. Silly silly decision...
    Thursday, September 01, 2011 7:30 PM
  • Just wanted to chime in as well, ran into this issue today while troubleshooting zone issues. We recently upgraded to IE9 and I can't believe MS would just remove this feature? It makes absolutely no sense. The status bar is already removed by default. Now it contains nothing but zoom? Wow what a useful "status" bar that is. Give your head a shake MS; why remove functionality for no bloody reason? Now I wasted a half hour trying to figure out how to view what zone a website is in. Silly silly decision...

my two cents....they shouldn't have done that....im not troubleshooting zone issues with sharepoint...what a pain.

i love 95% of what microsoft does with software, but sometimes they drop the ball.

george hardy
    Wednesday, October 05, 2011 2:12 PM
  • I want the information back too.  I'll send a few word to the connect
    I don't know what it takes to really have it back but it seems very hard for Microsoft to understand that so many people want it back as an option

Thank you

Marcheur extrême...
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 11:29 AM
  • I upgraded to IE9 last night and was searching for the zone this morning to troubeshoot issues between my settings and a coworker's. Now we have to click properties, that's backwards. How about an optional show security "icon" ....or like everyone else said put it back on the status bar.

I'm impressed with the noticeable speed improvment from IE8 to 9, but this is going to be a PITA to work with 1000s  of users supporting/troubleshooting web apps/settings.

Thursday, October 20, 2011 2:07 PM
  • Having the statust bar is an e handy tool to debug problems of users. Another use I like is looking at the query that is appended to the URL. Although this may not be the only place to find it, it does save time. I suppose you could use a third party software and analyze the header, or go to the source code... But having this information is very helpful, it's one of the first things I may look at.

I hope Microsoft keeps it in IE9!

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 12:03 PM
  • Hello

I'm affraid I've must add my little bit here, I always leave major updates such as browser updates from one version to another untill an amount of time has past to iron out all the bugs etc.

It's now 7th Feb 2012  how long has IE9 been out ?????

I'm sorry Microsoft but you cant keep changing the industry standards to darkness when a striplight fails & needs changing!!!

I can see the benefit of the 'clean' look of a website and can fully see where you are going here however there is no excuse for leaving it out when you want to see the status bar.

As far as the space it takes - utter rubbish - instead of the magnifiing glass next to 100% why not just have a 'green tick','no entry','globe' or 'computer' icon for the zone to give us poor people that try to troubleshoot customers over the phone that cant even tell the difference between a right click and a double click, a chance to help.

I now need to remove ie9 from my computer as it seem very slow loading pages compair to what it used to, obvously microsoft will blame everybody else for their plugins which may be causing problems with IE9, maybe rightly so but if having IE9 installed is causing these problems for me and my addons which are the latest, then im afraid ie9 is not for me.

i can live with the slowness but i cant live without a status bar that does not give any status.

Regards

Dave

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 7:52 PM
  • Hi Dave,

your shouting to the wrong crowd... this is a public forum, we do not work for MS... all feedback should be submitted at connect.microsoft.com/ie

https://connect.microsoft.com/IE/SearchResults.aspx?SearchQuery=security%20zone%20icon

here was my pitch...

https://connect.microsoft.com/IE/feedback/details/606962/ux-v-devx

(please visit the above link.... it is too long to copy and paste here)... but in retrospect I MUST agree with the IETeams UI efforts....

"why not just have a 'green tick','no entry','globe' or 'computer' icon for the zone to give us poor people that try to troubleshoot customers over the phone that cant even tell the difference between a right click and a double click, a chance to help."

.... you must know that there are over 1200 security settings in IE (when you factor all the security zones).... Users tweaking their IE security zone settings in the hope of 'getting things to work' is the number ONE reason for support calls (search answers.microsoft.com for "reset all zones to default".... well probably not #1,,, COM Addons must be and always has been the biggest support cost.

Now the canned answer is

tools>Internet Options>Security tab, click "Reset all zones to default"

no need to ask the user what security zone the site they are having trouble with is in.....

One covenant is though..... web developers should ALWAYS add a <noscript> block to their pages.

Troll the answers.microsoft.com forums to learn to help your users. Support is now much simplified.

ps.... these are public community forums, those who can contribute an informed answer are encouraged to do so.

Rob^_^

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 6:35 AM
  • Any news about this issue? It´s funny that status bar can be shown, but it would be completely empty.
    Saturday, February 25, 2012 9:23 AM
  • Wow, is this falling on deaf ears?!  Do your customers need to contact Ballmer, Allen, Gates directly?  It's a bit silly to say you removed it to make the appearance look less cluttered, yet the status bar is hidden by default.

No, your average customer may not need to know that information, but why take it away; when it's part of the status bar and the status bar is hidden by default.

For IT people, having that seen quickly on the status bar is helfpul, as we migrate from XP to Win7.  Some of our intranet sites are acting up as users utilize functions within the site.  It'd be helpful to know whether those functions are appearing in the intranet or internet zone.  Yes, we've added the sites to the intranet zone.  However, sometimes some of these intranet sites have functions that jump to or come from another site, and it'll be helpful to know what other sites we need to add to the intranet zone.

Thursday, May 17, 2012 6:28 PM
  • Hi,

these are public forums.... we do not work for MS... any feedback for MS or the IETeam can be posted to http://connect.microsoft.com/ie

you can search for existing issue tickets and their status there....this issue was reported to the IETeam before the release of IE9 RTW and has since been included/returned to IE10 and the win8 public previews.

I have had the opportunity to visit the Redmond campus..... surprisingly some executive directives are made with postit notes....the connect website provides a formal mechanism for the public to provide feedback to help the executive team make their assesments and their decions about IE features and technical requirements.

In IE9 you can view the Security Zone that a site is mapped to by selecting the File>Properties menu or selecting the Properties option from the page context menu.

<yawn>

rants should be posted to http://rantsforum.com

Rob^_^

Thursday, May 17, 2012 9:47 PM
  • terima kasih untuk  semuanya
    Friday, June 29, 2012 2:53 PM
  • I haven't found anything about this from Microsoft, but I did find a very useful 3rd party tool here:

http:// classicshell.sourceforge.net/features.html#ie9

It seems that Microsoft has been going away from providing solutions for end-users and allowing/teaming up with more 3rd party companies. 

I'm now using this download, only installed the ie9 part of it and the shell updater part and am happy. 

Wednesday, January 02, 2013 4:27 AM
  • So, i heard the Microsoft took this out because the display of zone information took away .016 seconds of processor time.

Tell me Microsoft, how as an system administrator, am I supposed to confirm that a trusted site is actually being trusted?  Am I just to take GPResults word for it?

Thursday, July 25, 2013 9:33 PM
  • how as an system administrator, am I supposed to confirm that a trusted site is actually being trusted?  

File, Properties  (Alt-F r)

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, July 26, 2013 2:15 AM
  • I'm another IT professional who is not happy about the zone information icon being taken away from the status bar.  It is not only useful to get that at a glance view of what zone the user is in, but a great feature was that you would double click it to take you straight to the zone settings screen.

Is there any chance of this feature being brought back by Microsoft?
    Friday, September 13, 2013 8:46 AM
  • I know this is old news, but I concur with all the others on here that would like to have the trusted icon back on the status bar.  At least make it an OPTION somewhere that we can turn on and off.  It is way easier to look at an icon on the status bar to see if I am in a Trusted Zone or not.

Yes, I know I can click on File->Properties and check the Zone, but that is lot more work than looking down at the status bar that is already taking up a whole line on my screen.  Kind of analogous to turning on my turn signal, then getting out of the car and looking at the physical turn signal on the bumper instead of just looking at the light on the dashboard.

Why would you remove something that worked perfectly fine, and a large amount of users used?

Saturday, February 01, 2014 5:18 PM
  • Your response is unhelpful, inappropriate, and unwelcome.

Many, many, many long-time Microsoft supporters have just about had it with the sort of hare-brained decision-making process that leads to, for example: Security zone visibility\configuration element removal from a (hidden by default) status bar with PLENTY of screen real estate for it. Defended with claims of wanting a 'cleaner UI' which is beginning to look increasingly like Chrome.

For you to suggest any criticism is inappropriate and that people go use some other OS is insulting and smacks of arrogant lackwit thinking. A healthy software development company cares about stability, security, performance, and usability - Not one or two of them.

Friday, May 16, 2014 6:31 PM