Since IE9 went RTM the launching of Citrix .ica files doesn't work anymore

Question

• Who knows why Microsoft has changed the way of launching (downloading) Citrix .ica files during the different phases of the development of Internet Explorer 9?

In IE9 Beta when you clicked a hyperlink to an .ica file the only workable option was to first save the file in your Downloads folder.
    Then press Ctrl-J to popup the infamous 'View Downloads' window and from there you could finally run the .ica file by clicking it.

In IE9 RC when you clicked a hyperlink to an .ica file it worked as expected, the .ica file launched right away (no download first)!

In IE9 RTM the launching AND downloading of .ica files doesn't work anymore, even not if you first try to save the file locally.
    It just sits there in the 'View Downloads' window but the option to run it is grayed out ... very weird and very annoying.

I reverted back to IE9 RC because that worked the best for me and for my work I depend heavliy on connections to our corporate Citrix servers.

There is s similar discussion going on at the Citrix forums, but no solution yet ...

http://forums.citrix.com/thread.jspa?threadID=283995

Friday, March 25, 2011 1:23 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Roel Janssens,

Thanks for the feedback.

How about adding the website to the trusted list and using the Compatibilty View?

How about using other versions of Web Interface?

I will report this to the Product Team and reply to you as soon as I get any further information.

Appreciate your patience.

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 7:52 AM
  • Hi Miya,

Thanks for your response.

Adding to the trusted sites didn't solve the problem.
    Using compatibility view didn't solve the problem.
    The web interface isn't under my management so I can't change that version.
    I also tried all possible solutions mentioned on the Citrix forum thread.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 8:14 AM
  • Tested on WI 5.4, doesn't work either (on computer outside domain). on a Windows 7 computer in the domain it does work without problems.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 8:54 AM
  • This has really crippled my users also. Access via our Citrix Access Gateway is impossible. Fallen back to IE8. It is urgent that MS fix this one.
    Saturday, April 02, 2011 11:30 AM
  • I had the exact same after upgrading to IE9. IE9 was asking for save or open launch.ica but nothing happened.

Everything resloved via tools, internet options, security, trusted sites

added citrix domain to trusted sites and uncheck Enable protected mode.

by the way I am pretty sure I had our citrix server in trusted sites prior upgrade to IE9

Sunday, April 03, 2011 9:41 AM
  • I had the exact same after upgrading to IE9. IE9 was asking for save or open launch.ica but nothing happened.

Everything resloved via tools, internet options, security, trusted sites

by the way I am pretty sure I had our citrix server in trusted sites prior upgrade to IE9

The Trusted Sites workaround seems to work for some people but definately not for all people (including me).

Is your PC joined to the same the domain where the citrix servers are located?

Sunday, April 03, 2011 11:29 AM
  • We're not using WI, but are experiencing similar issues with IE 9 and .ica files.

Version 11.0.150 of the Xen App Web plug-in "worked" on my system.  I'll report back if I find exceptions for others in our domain. http://www.citrix.com/english/ss/downloads/details.asp?downloadid=1681207

At the prompt, I only needed to click "Open" to load launch.ica. I didn't need to save the .ica first.  From there Citrix behaved normally.

Of course, I'd prefer if if IE 9 would remember what to do with .ica files so I wouldn't have to click Open each time.

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 3:41 PM
  • We're not using WI, but are experiencing similar issues with IE 9 and .ica files.

Version 11.0.150 of the Xen App Web plug-in "worked" on my system.  I'll report back if I find exceptions for others in our domain. http://www.citrix.com/english/ss/downloads/details.asp?downloadid=1681207

At the prompt, I only needed to click "Open" to load launch.ica. I didn't need to save the .ica first.  From there Citrix behaved normally.

Of course, I'd prefer if if IE 9 would remember what to do with .ica files so I wouldn't have to click Open each time.

Just tried your workaround with the 11.0.150 client and indead ... it works after clicking 'Open'!

• Proposed as answer by Princesly Wednesday, April 06, 2011 8:21 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Princesly Wednesday, April 06, 2011 8:21 PM
    Wednesday, April 06, 2011 4:09 PM
  • I got it to work:

Make sure compatibilty view is turned on for all sites from the tools menu (hit the ALT button to display it). Else, turn it only for your Citrix Web Interface URL. If that doesn't do it after restarting your browser, disable storing encrypted data by opening the Internet Options, under the "Advanced Tab," scroll all the way down to the 'Security' section.

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 8:29 PM
  • The 'compatibilty view' and 'encrypted data' suggestions did not work for me, but after a few attempts I was a able to launch the ica file by doing this: I opened the downloads view (Ctrl-J), and I could see the launch.ica file listed several times (presumably as a result of several failed attempts to launch it). For one of the ica files, the available actions was 'Resume', and clicking this launched the ica successfully. Seems to work every time.

Friday, April 08, 2011 8:02 AM
  • On the Citrix forum ( http://forums.citrix.com/thread.jspa?threadID=283995 ) the following has been posted:

For the IE9 issue, can you try the following work around:

It appears this problem is caused by the ICA mime filter that was added for the 12.x client. Disable the MIME filter by renaming the following registry key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PROTOCOLS\Filter\application/x-ica

The launch should work successfully (and there shouldn't be anymore ".partial" extension when choosing to save the file)
    Let me know how you go.

Had IE9 closed when I did it but no reboot or anything.

• Proposed as answer by Hobo_Long Friday, April 15, 2011 5:18 PM
    Friday, April 08, 2011 8:32 AM
  • Citrix posted an official knowledge base article, but this didn't solve the problem for me:

Application Launch Fails after Upgrading to Internet Explorer 9
    http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX129082 

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 1:17 PM
  • This solution worked for me.

I closed IE9 renamed the application/x-ica key; reopened IE9 and could now open citrix applications.

Friday, April 15, 2011 5:20 PM
  •  

None of the above suggestions worked for me - I had to downgrade back to IE8, which turned out to be easier than expected and only took a few minutes (Control Panel->View Installed Updates->Windows Internet Explorer 9-->>Reboot).

I will upgrade again when this is resolved.
    I'm hoping someone will post here when that happens.

Monday, April 18, 2011 8:42 AM
  • In uninstall instructions in my previous post should have been:

(Control Panel->Uninstall a program->View Installed Updates->Windows Internet Explorer 9-->>Reboot).

Monday, April 18, 2011 8:57 AM
  • First of all, thank you so much for all the posts and replies on this topic. I have been struggling to get citrix working since December 2009.   IE9 beta worked fine and google chrome worked fine with the online client 11.0.150 and not 12.1.

Symptoms:

a) lunching .ica file does not work, 

b) saving file as prompts to save launcher.aspx within firefox and launcher.htm within ie8 and ie9. 

Fix:

Downgrade the citrix client to 11.0.150 (legacy downloads) and Use google chrome. this combination seems to work so far. The latest version of firefox and IE9 still dont launch the .ica file and i have tried everything in the book (registry rename, resetting browser cache, temp internet folder, activex filtering was already disabled, added exception for the site, disabled firewall, changed setting to prompt for every activex action within internet options.)

Hope this helps. 

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 8:54 PM
  • I've benn afflicted with this as well. I haven't gotten any of the "fixes" to work (trusted sites, compatibility, regedit PROTOCOLS, etc.)

However, I have got a consistent work around. After I log in to the Citrix server and I'm presented with the icons that ulitimately prompt me to save/open the launch.ica file, I right-click any of the icons and choose Save As... This allows me to save the launch.ica file. I usually pick my desktop.

Once the file's saved, I simply double-click it. I don't even need IE running. I have to manually close the citrix connection (ui via the sys-tray icon), which for some reason deletes the launch.ica file. But at least I know how to consistently save it and use it again the next time I have to connect to the citrix server.

FYI, I came to this fix because when I inspected where IE was trying to save the file. I kept finding it was "partial".

Anyway, hope this helps others until citrix fixes this for good.

Friday, April 22, 2011 2:18 AM
  • Try the steps of renaming the registry as mentioned in http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX129082

This should fix the issue :-)

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 2:55 PM
  • Try the steps of renaming the registry as mentioned in http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX129082

This should fix the issue :-)

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 2:55 PM
  • The registry "fix" did not fix it for me.  When I hit the link for the citrix app, I get the yellow bar at the bottom and it say 100% complete.  And then nothing else happens.  Ctrl-J does not show the ica file, so I can't launch it from there.  What's more, the ica link itself for the application that I use is hidden behind javascript so I can't right-click it and save it.

When I tried the registry fix, the only difference I saw was that the yellow bar disappeared after the download was complete.  Still, nothing happened after that.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 5:50 PM
  • Roel,

I confirm your solution. Uninstalling the 12.x client and installing the old XenApp 11.0.150, and the citrix portal works flawlessly on my 32-bit Win7 w. IE9 RTM client.

Thanks!

Regards,

Stephan van der Plas

You know you're an engineer when you have no life and can prove it mathematically
    Thursday, May 05, 2011 6:52 AM
  • Tried all the solutions and this was the only one works. Thank you so much. 
    Jane
    Sunday, May 15, 2011 4:33 AM
  • I've had the same problem but managed to get the 12.1 plugin to work.

• Remove the 12.1 plugin
    • Install the 11.0.150 plugin
    • Make a connection to the citrix web portal an modify the settings so the ica launches without questioning to run/save
    • Remove the 11.0.150 plugin
    • Install the 12.1 plugin.
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 12:44 PM

• Remove the 12.1 plugin
    • Make a connection to the citrix web portal an modify the settings so the ica launches without questioning to run/save

What do you mean by 'modify the settings so the ica client launches' ?
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 1:09 PM

• Remove the 12.1 plugin

What do you mean by 'modify the settings so the ica client launches' ?

I meant to add the site to the trusted sites and view in de Citrix Web Portal under Settings if you don't experience the problems anymore. Also try to run an application/desktop.
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 2:23 PM
  • Why should we revert to an old citrix version, when we can just revert back to IE8?

Having the same problem no solution working and can't access my office applications and can't access another organization's applications.

Am about to try google chrome and likely will revert to IE8 if this is not resolved.

Thursday, May 19, 2011 3:31 AM
  • Hi Roel Janssens,

Thanks for the feedback.

How about adding the website to the trusted list and using the Compatibilty View?

How about using other versions of Web Interface?

I will report this to the Product Team and reply to you as soon as I get any further information.

Appreciate your patience.

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Miya Yao,

Did you ever receive feedback from the Product Team?

Thursday, May 19, 2011 6:07 AM
  • Hi Roel,

Not yet.

Please also submit the feedback here: http://connect.microsoft.com/ie.  

Thanks for your patience.

Regards,

Miya

Thursday, May 19, 2011 6:18 AM
  • Everything resloved via tools, internet options, security, trusted sites

This, along with the Citrix KB article seem to work - HOWEVER - I noticed if you close IE9 when connected to the session - it drops your session.  PLUS - if you just leave the IE9 session open into the web portal, that eventually times out and auto-logs you off - that too disconnects your session.  Even worse - you can't just re-connect to that session when you log back in.  You have to close that session and start a new one.

This is a major pain.  I think rolling back to IE8 may be the best option, but that's only a band-aide fix - IMHO - I HATE this new download manager... I can't believe there isn't an option to disable it's use!  Grrr...

Thursday, May 19, 2011 2:53 PM