why is my memory usage for :iexplore" so high?

Question

• I saw alot of you had the same problem pretty much, and im wondering why the MU is so high with the IE7, it was never this high before, but it does seem as its getting higher and higher every couple days, or even every day. I mean earlier it was at like 120,000 k, now its at 46.000 k, its never been like this, can anyone tell me how to fix it or is there nothing to do except get rid of IE7 completely and redo it again(GOD I HOPE NOT), lol..Any help advice would be very helpful and thanks for anyone who comments..                RJ
    Thursday, April 02, 2009 4:35 PM

Answers

• Hello RJ,

Before going any further, you might try restoring the system back to the point before the issue occurred.

System Restore

1) Before we start, please close all open files and close all open programs.

2) Click Start; click All Programs; click Accessories; click System Tools; and click System Restore. The System Restore user interface should appear.

3) Click Next.

4) From the restore points available, select an appropriate restore point before problem occurs and click Next.

5) Click Next again. The restore process will run and your system will restart automatically.

For more information, please refer to the article below:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/9f6d755a-74bb-4a7d-a625-d762dd8e79e51033.mspx

If the problem persists, please continue with the instructions below to narrow down the issue.

1. Run IE with No Add-ons

Click Start, copy and paste Internet Explorer (No Add-ons) into Start Search box and press Enter. Change the cookie settings and have a test.

2. Reset IE7

1) Click Start button-> Control Panel.

2) Change to Classic View on the left pane and double-click the Internet Options icon.

3) On the Security tab, click Default level button for each icon in the Select a zone to view or change security settings.

4) Click to Programs tab, and then click the Make default button if it is not grayed out.

5) Click to Advanced tab, click Restore advanced settings button in the Settings area.

6) Click the Reset button in the Reset Internet Explorer settings area and Click OK.

7) Click Apply, and then click OK.

3. Temporarily disable/uninstall all Anti-Virus firewalls or programs

4. Terminate third-party conflicts

Run Windows Safe Mode 

1) Detach all unnecessary peripheral devices from your computer, such as printers, scanners and removable storage devices.

2) Restart the computer.

3) Keep pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.

4) Choose Safe Mode with Networking, and press Enter.

5) Test the issue in Safe Mode to see if the issue still exists.

Note: In Safe Mode, your system display and Desktop will look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary.

If the issue does not occur in safe mode, let’s try a Clean Boot to test the issue.

Start Windows in Clean Boot mode

Note: You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group to complete this procedure.

1) Click Start.

2) Copy and paste "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and click Enter.

3) Switch to Services tab and then Check Hide All Microsoft Services.

4) Click Disable All.

5) Switch to the Startup tab and then Click Disable all.

6) Click OK.

7) Click Restart to restart the computer and test the issue.

Good Luck!

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, April 13, 2009 3:52 AM
    Friday, April 03, 2009 9:24 AM

All replies

• Hello RJ,

Before going any further, you might try restoring the system back to the point before the issue occurred.

System Restore

1) Before we start, please close all open files and close all open programs.

2) Click Start; click All Programs; click Accessories; click System Tools; and click System Restore. The System Restore user interface should appear.

3) Click Next.

4) From the restore points available, select an appropriate restore point before problem occurs and click Next.

5) Click Next again. The restore process will run and your system will restart automatically.

For more information, please refer to the article below:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/9f6d755a-74bb-4a7d-a625-d762dd8e79e51033.mspx

If the problem persists, please continue with the instructions below to narrow down the issue.

1. Run IE with No Add-ons

Click Start, copy and paste Internet Explorer (No Add-ons) into Start Search box and press Enter. Change the cookie settings and have a test.

2. Reset IE7

2) Change to Classic View on the left pane and double-click the Internet Options icon.

3) On the Security tab, click Default level button for each icon in the Select a zone to view or change security settings.

4) Click to Programs tab, and then click the Make default button if it is not grayed out.

5) Click to Advanced tab, click Restore advanced settings button in the Settings area.

6) Click the Reset button in the Reset Internet Explorer settings area and Click OK.

3. Temporarily disable/uninstall all Anti-Virus firewalls or programs

4. Terminate third-party conflicts

Run Windows Safe Mode 

1) Detach all unnecessary peripheral devices from your computer, such as printers, scanners and removable storage devices.

2) Restart the computer.

3) Keep pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.

4) Choose Safe Mode with Networking, and press Enter.

5) Test the issue in Safe Mode to see if the issue still exists.

Note: In Safe Mode, your system display and Desktop will look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary.

If the issue does not occur in safe mode, let’s try a Clean Boot to test the issue.

Start Windows in Clean Boot mode

Note: You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group to complete this procedure.

1) Click Start.

2) Copy and paste "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and click Enter.

3) Switch to Services tab and then Check Hide All Microsoft Services.

4) Click Disable All.

5) Switch to the Startup tab and then Click Disable all.

6) Click OK.

7) Click Restart to restart the computer and test the issue.

Good Luck!

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Monday, April 13, 2009 3:52 AM
    Friday, April 03, 2009 9:24 AM
  • ok, now, one question before i begin, lol, sorry, but, what is it that im doing, are you helping me reboot my whole system as in starting everything all over again, like backing up files and stuff?
    Friday, April 03, 2009 10:43 PM
  • ok, can someone please help me, i cant take it anymore, the iexplore memory usage  is getting crazy high now, it makes the internet sluggish and slower than i have ever seen, ready to take it outside and do what the guys from "officespace" did to there fax machine, thanks to anyone that helps me, later all...           RJ
    Thursday, April 09, 2009 4:25 PM
  • If I reset IE7, what settings are "lost"?  Favorites? Links toolbar? Add-ons?
    Just would like to know before I set it loose!!!

Gail

2. Reset IE7

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 8:58 AM
  • <If I reset IE7, what settings are "lost"?  Favorites? Links toolbar? Add-ons?
    Just would like to know before I set it loose!!!>
    For your reading:
    How to reset Internet Explorer settings
    Bottom line is this:
    All settings are returned to their defaults, and all add-ins are disabled (not uninstalled.)
    All histories, form data, and saved passwords are deleted.
    Your Favorites, though, are safe - they're stored in their own folder in your user profile, and are not touched during this operation.

HTH,
    Chris
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 10:27 PM