none
Open in new tab IE hangs for 30 seconds then opens page in new window instead!

Domanda

• Hi,

This is driving me crazy!

I have a clean install of windows 8 (release version from MSDN) with IE10.  Though the issue is not specific to IE10 as I had the same problem with IE9.

I am using the desktop version.  THIS ALSO WAS THE CASE WITH IE9

When I "middle click" on the mouse or right click "open in new tab" 90% of the time IE will hang for 30 seconds and always 30 seconds, before opening the link in a new window rather than the new tab I asked for.

I have reset IE to defaults via the reset options in Internet Options > Advanced tab > Reset...  and disabled the few  add-ons that were there and rebooted 3 times now.  but nothing cures the issue.

I experience the issues with both 32 and 64 bit versions of the browser.

if I do the following search IE9 +Tab +delay +"new window" on Bing  the first result is an example of a link that causes the issue to manifest.  the result reads

18/07/2009 · Experience IE9 and IE10 ... The delay caused by add-ons is usually the reason ... won’t be loaded the next time you open a new window or tab.

I am providing the link in case there is anything useful in the information. Incidentally the result page above offers nothing that helps my situation.

I do not get this issue in my home,  here I am behind a corporate proxy and firewall - could there be any issue in this use case.  Note if I right click on the same link above and select "Open in New window" the page opens immediately without any delay at all.

Thank you

John.

ltheONEl

martedì 16 ottobre 2012 20:01

Risposte

• seems it's mixing and matching 64bit with 32 bit?

That would certainly explain the symptom.   In IE10 that will happen under the covers though.  So to be sure that the two windows are using a different SCODEF= (and now apparently even a different application program and sorry I didn't think of doing this before) go to the Task Manager's Applications tab and right-click, Go To Process with each.  Then you should land on the "chrome" task in the Processes tab.   To test this idea I just used CTrl-N to force a new window clone of this tab.   That showed up in the Task Manager Applications tab and right-click Go To Process showed that both windows were running under the same PID.  So that would mean that all my iexplore.exe tab tasks would have the same SCODEF=.   However, I don't think looking at SCODEF= will be as important now for explaining multiple windows if you find that the Go To Process command is ending up on different PIDs, especially if they are different applications.   However, I am doing this on W7 (IE9) so I'm not really sure what the W8 case looks like.   I just know that an X64 task launches an x86 task.  I'll try to remember to test it when I get back there.

BTW how are you using ProcMon?  Someone else complaining about a delay opening about:blank had some inexplicable security and networking symptoms showing in their trace...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie9-windows_vista/in-the-last-day-or-so-internet-explorer-9-has/31ab1ada-a4fb-4cf6-86e8-7a2e9bae9f64 

Hmm...  that's a delay opening the first tab I think but no information about what happens when opening a new tab.  I wonder...  <eg>

Anyway, this is the point that I wanted you to see there:

<quote>
    Think.   You are expecting to see something not happening for almost 30 seconds. 

</quote>

HTH

Robert
    ---

mercoledì 24 ottobre 2012 17:48
    Postatore

Tutte le risposte

• Hi John,

can you please copy and paste the link that you are having trouble with....

(right click on the bing search results item and select copy shortcut from the context menu).... bing search results vary from locale to locale.....

the last time I looked Bing Search results links were direct links, but other search provides use click-through links that first navigate to their servers before redirecting to the actual search result website link.

see http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ieinternals/archive/2012/09/24/zone-elevation-security-warning-websites-in-less-privileged-zone-can-navigate-csrf-xss-protection.aspx

Possibly you have bing.com or live.com in your Trusted Sites list or google.com or account.google.com (if using google as your search provider)....

Both bing and google verify a users credentials on sub domains..... remove them from your trusted sites lists (the Trusted Sites zone actually has a lower security level than the internet zone) so that navigation to their sub-domains is not in an IE security zone of a lower integrity (see article above).

You could also use the the Networking tab of the developer tools (f12>Networking tab, click "Start Capture") to look for any 302 redirects.

Rob^_^

mercoledì 17 ottobre 2012 17:52
  • Hi Rob,

I included the link in my first Post: 

The issue also manifests if I try to open Bing directly from the frequent sites (which I have set as the default for a new tab) in that case the link is www.bing.com

I am out of the office now, but will check the Trusted sites,  but I am pretty sure that list is empty at the moment, as is a fresh build on the PC, and I have removed all add-ins, reset IE to defaults and did a complete uninstall-restart-install of IE10 on Friday : But I will check.  Same goes for the Dev tool use to analyse the network.

note that it's not just one link I am having issues with it's pretty much all of them.  once IE has paused for the 30 seconds (and pretty much always 30 seconds, I've been timing it) and opened the link in a new IE instance, it appears I can use tabbed browsing as normal in that new instance.  Though I have not tested that case to destruction yet.  I will try make some time tomorrow to focus on testing.  I will post here when/if I get any more useful information.

ltheONEl

mercoledì 17 ottobre 2012 18:50
  • When I "middle click" on the mouse or right click "open in new tab" 90% of the time IE will hang for 30 seconds and always 30 seconds, before opening the link in a new window rather than the new tab I asked for.

That fact that it is an intermittent symptom suggests that you may have some conflicting options.   E.g. if launching from a BING results page is a necessary condition then you could have a BING preference set which would cause a result page to open in a new window/tab; then whether you had a new window or new tab would depend on your Tab options.   Then you could have the result you want without worrying about how you were using the link; e.g. just a simple left click would do. 

With both IE9 and IE10 you could get more symptom details from the Developer Tools, Network Capture (F12, Ctrl-Backtab, F5).   However, unfortunately, we can't use that to trace what happens in the new session in a new tab or window.   To capture that detail you would have to use another tool, such as Fiddler2 or NetMon.   You could also try gleaning some clues from ProcMon's Network event class records while having the additional advantage of being able to interleave those with any relevant File and Registry accesses.  

So, if you manage to capture a trace of one of your 10% success cases (just 1 out of 10?), hang on to its trace!  That would help you infer what is wrong in the other ones without having to understand what either one is actually saying.   ;  )

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

mercoledì 17 ottobre 2012 19:21
    Postatore
  • For sure it is definitely not a config/options thing.  I have IE10 on 3 PC in my home and have installed them with the same stuff as on my PC at work.  The PC's in my home do not have the issue.

I have only ever seen this issue in my work PC,  Though I have other PC's dotted around the work which are similarly off domain, but windows 7/IE9 and they do not have this feature either.

in my head, middle clicking to spawn a link in a new tab should be equivalent to opening a new tab and pasting the link in the address bar.  the later method here works without issue and the page displays instantly,  So to me it suggests IE is doing something else when it spawns the new tab by the middle click method.  The question is what?

To get by I am forcing my self to right click and "open in new window" as this function opens the webpage instantly in a new instance of IE, but it's painful after have been so used to tabbed browsing.

I have various options for doing a packet capture, so I will investigate that, but I truly expect 0 relevant traffic until the 30s is up!

John.

ltheONEl

mercoledì 17 ottobre 2012 19:58
  • in my head, middle clicking to spawn a link in a new tab should be equivalent to opening a new tab and pasting the link in the address bar.  the later method here works without issue and the page displays instantly,  So to me it suggests IE is doing something else when it spawns the new tab by the middle click method.  The question is what?

Since you were reporting the same symptom with right-click, Open in new tab I was ignoring that factor but one thing I was wondering is if you were actually getting a Middleclick?   E.g. default mouse settings might not be what you are assuming.   ;  )

To get by I am forcing my self to right click and "open in new window" as this function opens the webpage instantly in a new instance of IE, but it's painful after have been so used to tabbed browsing.

I already gave you one possible workaround to try.     Did you test it?     Another would be to press Ctrl-k and left click a link when expecting the link to open in the same tab.   Or just dragging a link to the New tab button.

Good luck

Robert
    ---

mercoledì 17 ottobre 2012 20:22
    Postatore
  • Thanks Robert.  I will test all as soon as I am back in the office tomorrow.

ltheONEl

mercoledì 17 ottobre 2012 21:04
  • Well, this is frustrating.

I can not find a repeatable pattern that causes the issue.  I seems that once I get into a given domain I can open any of the links belonging this domain in new tabs. but not always.

I thought that once I had visited a domain, then that domain for a given IE session could now be opened in a new tab from a repeated search... but not always.

When the issue occurs by clicking a link returned by bing: The Debug tool shows the following call just before IE locks up:

Key Value
    Request GET http://www.bing.com/fd/ls/GLinkPing.aspx?IG=ea52b4fc04ff46bd8bb7dc7c4487087d&&ID=SERP,5101.1 HTTP/1.1

the above get request completes and IE locks up. but that's not the case from Google, I simply get no network data (via the dev tools).

so I have given half an hour to try and find something useful I can say about the issue: but I have discovered nothing.

I'll make it so I can access this PC from my home so I can do testing over the weekend, looking deeper to registry access etc as you described above. and perform a more fundamental analysis of the network traffic.

is there any hidden logging function in IE I can turn on?

surely I can not be the only one who has had this issue!

Regards

John.

ltheONEl

giovedì 18 ottobre 2012 13:36
  • from Google, I simply get no network data (via the dev tools).  

which is why I mentioned alternatives to the DT NC tool.   ;  }
    giovedì 18 ottobre 2012 14:44
    Postatore
  • One thing I have failed to mention is that IE10 - METRO browser is not effected by this.

I also tried enabling IE10 enhanced Protection mode (which kills all plugins) I discovered this as I could not forward an email via Hotmail, I got a Silverlight warning from IE (I am about to run this....warning) however this locked up IE (desktop) and I had to kill it via task manager,  So I investigated the Enhance Protection mode that was mentioned in the Silverlight Warning dialogue and found that it kills all plugins - so I enabled it.  This fixed my issue with forwarding emails on Hotmail, but not this dam new tab issue.

ltheONEl

giovedì 18 ottobre 2012 15:00
  • I thought that once I had visited a domain, then that domain for a given IE session could now be opened in a new tab from a repeated search... but not always.

Mention of "session" has just reminded me of a reason why you would be getting a new window and not just a new tab.   E.g. is InPrivate Browsing involved or being forced?   To know if this is on the right track or not, you should check the Command line options which are being specified for each iexplore.exe task involved, e.g. using Task Manager Processes tab or ProcExp.   E.g. you will be checking if the new window is associated with a different "chrome" task or if it is just a new window for the existing "chrome" task, as identified by a different SCODEF:  PID.  

There was an incident like that that I was involved in a while ago.   IIRC it was caused by a third-party program.   So, that in turn reminds me to suggest that if NAOM and RIES haven't found a cause you could still continue on with the hypothesis of third-party interference and try using more fundamental clean-boot troubleshooting techniques.  Of course it would help to have a reliable repro procedure to know whether your changes have had any significant effect.   <eg>

Good luck

Robert
    ---

giovedì 18 ottobre 2012 21:21
    Postatore
  • Thanks again Robert, I will look into this tomorrow.

ltheONEl

giovedì 18 ottobre 2012 23:31
  • Hi,

Just check how is the issue going now.

Best Regards.

Jeremy Wu

TechNet Community Support

lunedì 22 ottobre 2012 03:07
    Moderatore
  • No finding a resolution yet.  I have been using Procmon and TCPView from sysinternals,

TCPView shows no network connections made during the 30 second lockup of IE, network connections only occur once the new windows has opened.

both TCPView and Procmon show that a different PID is used for the new window.

ltheONEl

martedì 23 ottobre 2012 11:57
  • both TCPView and Procmon show that a different PID is used for the new window.

I was curious about the SCODEF= parameter.   You can only see that via its Command line display but even Task Manager or ProcExp can give you that.  Strangely Resource Monitor doesn't give that information.

---

martedì 23 ottobre 2012 14:26
    Postatore
  • I would like to say that I am having the exact same problem and it is EXTREMELY frustrating.  Like |TheONE|, my computer at home doesn't have this problem.  However, my computer at work, when of course is connected to a domain, has the problem.  I've tried everything!  I would just use Firefox, unfortunately there are some applications that require IE - and even some of those don't want to run on 10.
    martedì 23 ottobre 2012 18:48
  • I cant find SCODEF in Task manager as an available column, does it have a different name in the list of columns?

I am both happy and sad that ERL_HCL has the same issue - If I were not a complete MS Fanboy, I'd have given up for Chrome instead.  IE should know what process is causing problem and should be able to tell me, that it failed to open a tab because...

However, since I am a fanboy! I will persist till I find a solution. (hopefully with Robert's kind help)

ltheONEl

• Modificato ltheONEl martedì 23 ottobre 2012 19:18 typo
    martedì 23 ottobre 2012 19:17
  • I cant find SCODEF in Task manager as an available column, does it have a different name in the list of columns?

SCODEF= is a parameter which can be seen on the Command line (that field) of some of your iexplore.exe tasks.  Its value is the PID of the primary iexplore.exe (aka the IE chrome task).  If you have more than one IE window you may have more than one IE chrome task, e.g. as evidenced by a variation in the primary task's Command line.

BTW the above is just my interpretation of what I have inferred from observing the implementation for various conditions.   However, I have seen others refer to it in their blogs...

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/askie/archive/2009/03/20/how-to-i-determine-which-ie-tabs-go-to-which-iexplore-exe-process-when-using-internet-explorer-8.aspx

(BING search for
        scodef site:blogs.msdn.com
    )

FYI

Robert
    ---

martedì 23 ottobre 2012 22:31
    Postatore
  • Starting from zero : No open applications,  I start IE - one Tab, Bing as the home page, Task manager list two entries:

iexplorer.exe: "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplorer.exe"
    iexplorer.exe: "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer(x86)\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" SCODEF:6532 CREDAT:267521 /prefetch:2

So at this stage I have one IE window with a single tab displaying Bing.  seems it's mixing and matching 64bit with 32 bit?

I did a search for this string "WPF Application does not contain 'Main' " and middle clicked the first result http://joewirtley.blogspot.com/2008/04/application-class-and-main-method-in.html

immediately in task manager a third entry appeared:

iexplorer.exe: "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer(x86)\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" SCODEF:6532 CREDAT:3216661 /prefetch:2

IE locked up for 30 seconds and then displayed the page in a new window.  No more entries appeared in task manager.

ltheONEl

mercoledì 24 ottobre 2012 14:10
  • seems it's mixing and matching 64bit with 32 bit?

That would certainly explain the symptom.   In IE10 that will happen under the covers though.  So to be sure that the two windows are using a different SCODEF= (and now apparently even a different application program and sorry I didn't think of doing this before) go to the Task Manager's Applications tab and right-click, Go To Process with each.  Then you should land on the "chrome" task in the Processes tab.   To test this idea I just used CTrl-N to force a new window clone of this tab.   That showed up in the Task Manager Applications tab and right-click Go To Process showed that both windows were running under the same PID.  So that would mean that all my iexplore.exe tab tasks would have the same SCODEF=.   However, I don't think looking at SCODEF= will be as important now for explaining multiple windows if you find that the Go To Process command is ending up on different PIDs, especially if they are different applications.   However, I am doing this on W7 (IE9) so I'm not really sure what the W8 case looks like.   I just know that an X64 task launches an x86 task.  I'll try to remember to test it when I get back there.

BTW how are you using ProcMon?  Someone else complaining about a delay opening about:blank had some inexplicable security and networking symptoms showing in their trace...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie9-windows_vista/in-the-last-day-or-so-internet-explorer-9-has/31ab1ada-a4fb-4cf6-86e8-7a2e9bae9f64 

Hmm...  that's a delay opening the first tab I think but no information about what happens when opening a new tab.  I wonder...  <eg>

Anyway, this is the point that I wanted you to see there:

<quote>
    Think.   You are expecting to see something not happening for almost 30 seconds. 

</quote>

HTH

Robert
    ---

mercoledì 24 ottobre 2012 17:48
    Postatore
  • Hi Robert,

Thanks, I'm out of the office now for a couple of days.  I may be able to remote in over the weekend, in which case I will check this then.

ltheONEl

mercoledì 24 ottobre 2012 18:37
  • Since this issue seems unresolvable I have Disabled tabbed browsing, since I have had no time this last two weeks to investigate further.

If anyone does find a solution please post here as I will continue to monitor this thread.

ltheONEl

martedì 6 novembre 2012 14:28