Internet Explorer has stopped working

Вопрос

• I just bought my computer two days ago.  IE states the windows has stopped working we are looking for a solution and when one becomes available we will notify you.  IE will not open at all.  Can someone tell me how to fix the problem.  It was working fine one minute and then the next it closed down. I can not get into the interet options.  IE will not open a single bit.

I am so confused I was up until 1:00 am trying to fix the problem and can not get online support at home because I can not connect to the internet.  Can someone please help.

Thank you.

13 февраля 2007 г. 12:35

Ответы

• You can use IE if you go to: Control Panel, then Network & Internet. Then click on Internet Options, go on the Security tab and DISABLE the "Enable Protected Mode" checkbox for all internet zones.  This will not fix the problem, but it will make it go away while we all wait for Microsoft to update IE with error messages that actually help us understand what happened. The same thing happened to me and now my internet explorer works! I feel your pain! I hope this works for you too!
    16 февраля 2007 г. 0:58

Все ответы

• You can use IE if you go to: Control Panel, then Network & Internet. Then click on Internet Options, go on the Security tab and DISABLE the "Enable Protected Mode" checkbox for all internet zones.  This will not fix the problem, but it will make it go away while we all wait for Microsoft to update IE with error messages that actually help us understand what happened. The same thing happened to me and now my internet explorer works! I feel your pain! I hope this works for you too!
    16 февраля 2007 г. 0:58
  • Thank you so much for you response, but after spending two hours on the phone with microsoft and they still could not help me I went back to the store where I purchased the computer and they did a complete restore and recovery and now it is working fine.  I was even thinking about asking them to downgrade my version of microsoft back to windows XP.  They seem to have all the bugs worked out of that program.  Thanks again with your response and I will keep this in mind for the next time anything like this happens.
    16 февраля 2007 г. 15:40
  • I found that my Canon Printer software, specifically the scan software, was causing the issue.  I unloaded the software and IE was fixed.  I then went to Canon's site and downloaded the Vista software.  By the way the scan software was not under Canon but * Omniscan (can't remember the first name!).  And the printer is a Canon Pixma MP160.
    18 февраля 2007 г. 15:40
  • WooHoo!  Thank you!
    25 марта 2007 г. 2:58
  • Tried that, and had no luck either. Seems that Microsoft is using the standard argument that it caused by third party software like McAfee, Norton etc. However, I have noticed that when Windows Defender starts to run I will get IE7 stopping and wanting to restart.
    29 марта 2007 г. 14:34
  •  

Thankyou, thankyou. I've been on this for the last three hours since i tried to install my HP printer on to my new laptop.  Why have they brought out a new operating system that is so incompatable with relatively new equipment ( a year old). As if I didn't know hey!  Thanks again for your help.

9 апреля 2007 г. 3:17
  • Run it as administrator and it will work
    17 апреля 2007 г. 0:22
  • I had the same problem. I went in to the start-up menu and unchecked "omnipage" and it resolved the issue. Mine is a Canon 4200f scanner.
    24 апреля 2007 г. 3:08
  • I get the "stopped working" message upon quitting IE.  STILL cannot find a fix - and have had the PC for 5 weeks. Is the crew at MicroSoft asleep at the wheel??  Why no published response to this common problem. Why must we ask for help - when they know that no help yet exists.  C O M M U N I C A T E with the customer.

Thanks for the 'vent' space.

-Jim

8 мая 2007 г. 1:09
  • On my new Vista computer from Dell, after only a few days of use and suddenly after a Microsoft update, Internet Explorer suddenly stopped working telling me "Internet Explorer has stopped working.  A problem caused the program to stop working ... Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." 
    After closing that I get the message "Data Execution Prevention has closed the program".  When I go to read about this, one of the suggestions is to remove or turn off all the add-ins or do it one by one.  All the add-ins have now been disabled and Internet Explorer restarted and the problem is still there. 

19 мая 2007 г. 2:11
  • Had the same problem with Canon MP 810 even after downloading software for Vista. Rather than becoming bogged down with Microsoft (No) Help, switched browser to Mozilla Firefox...no more problems and faster access!. Will happily use IE again if Microsoft has the courtesy to advise a simple fix.
    18 октября 2007 г. 12:18
  • Hey Pal I have the same problem and as well, trying to find a fix however I can tell you what doesnt work!  Regcure this program is a crock of *** that cost me money and does NOTHING AT ALL to your system. In fact you run it once and it finds a ton of errors so you think wow, theres the problem.....then right after you run it again and guess what ? the same friggin errors....what a scam they are!

Barry (Montreal Quebec)

18 февраля 2008 г. 14:03
  •  

I have Vista Home Premium (32-bit) on a Gateway.  After I downloaded some Microsoft updates on 2/13/08, IE7 began freezing up to the point that my computer is essentially useless - which is a shame since it is less than 1 year old. 

I have done all the suggestions I have found on Microsoft pages.  I uninstalled Quicken Simple Steps that I downloaded around that time.  I uninstalled CA antivirus software/firewall that I also downloaded around that time.  I uninstalled each downloaded update (except that I could not uninstall KB938371 which I also had trouble downloading to begin with).  I reset IE7 settings and disabled every single add-on.  I ran Microsofts malicious software removal tool and Live One Care.  I have run Ad Aware.  Nothing turned up on any of them.  I disabled automatic website checking and Phishing filter.  After all of that, I downloaded Mozilla's Firefox to see if that worked better - it still froze up just like IE7. 

I have done every single thing suggested except wipe my hard drive and start from scratch.  PLEASE help!  Was there a problem with the latest batch of downloads from Microsoft?  What else can I do to fix this?  Is it KB938371? 

22 февраля 2008 г. 2:55
  • Just had this problem with IE7 and Vista.........system restore solved the problem!
    25 марта 2008 г. 13:52
  • Had the same problem since taking the comupter out of the box.  Found a great fix that has kept me on the internet ever since.  Get rid of IE 7 and change to firefox.  Looks very similair but doesn't have the bugs the MS refuses to fix.

5 апреля 2008 г. 3:12
  • Im not sure if you're still having probs with :internet explorer has stopped working" but I just fixed mine by going to tools-manage add-ons: disable yahoo IE sevices button and one other yahoo tab that looks like its written in chinese.  It worked.  Now I can close out internet explorer

26 апреля 2008 г. 18:39
  •  galwithkeys wrote:
    Im not sure if you're still having probs with :internet explorer has stopped working" but I just fixed mine by going to tools-manage add-ons: disable yahoo IE sevices button and one other yahoo tab that looks like its written in chinese.  It worked.  Now I can close out internet explorer

Bingo! Disabling the Yahoo IE Services also resolved my issue. Thanks for posting the fix.

27 апреля 2008 г. 0:02
  • Disabling IE services worked for me.
    Although I still recommend FireFox, almost same functionality and much more reliable
    11 июля 2008 г. 16:42
  • Has anyone found a resolution to this issue??  It' driving me CRAZY!!

• Предложено в качестве ответа AL from Vaughan 22 декабря 2008 г. 4:22
    7 августа 2008 г. 17:10
  • I went to Internet Options in Control Panel. then in the Advanced Tab i clicked "reset". that worked for me. 
    10 августа 2008 г. 18:47
  • Thanks!!! Pulling my hair out trying to figure that problem out. Was getting ready to re-install everything
    10 августа 2008 г. 22:49
  • Thanks this worked after trying several other complicated fixes, the simplest one worked. Thanks again.

11 августа 2008 г. 16:14
  • Thank you for such a simple solution that worked! Pity Microsoft couldn't make the same suggestion all those months ago. I'll continue with the excellent Firefox Browser.....but It's good to have IE as a backup.

Thanks again......Jim
    23 сентября 2008 г. 5:55
  • Hitting the "Reset" button in the Advanced tab of Internet Options disables all your add-ons ... not a real solution, just a shotgun approach.  From all the other comments I've seen on this problem, I'm guessing that the problem is a "rogue" add-on in each case, but not necessarily the SAME add-on.  In my case, I have a Wireless Lexmark all-in-one that was added to my menagerie of printers a while ago -- I disabled the Lexmark add-on, and my "Internet Explorer has stopped working" seems to have gone away.  If it remains stable, I'm going to delete the Lexmark software, and install it all over again. My IE7 had been working when I originally installed the Lexmark software, but some MS update must have done something to it. If Lexmark tried to "pull a fast one" by changing some MS software, then shame on them! It looks like Canon pulled the same kind of trick, based on earlier posts to this forum.

The trick really seems to be to determine which of your add-ons has gone bad ... Concentrate on the "extra" bits you've installed -- camera software, smartphone synchronization software, printer software, etc.  It's a hit & miss technique, to be sure, but the "Reset" button isn't the way to go.
    New Vista User
    • Предложено в качестве ответа AL from Vaughan 22 декабря 2008 г. 4:42
    22 декабря 2008 г. 4:35
  • I HAVE THE ANSWER!!!...or at least it worked for me.

This is definitely STEP #1 for anyone out there that has had the same problem I have had!

PROBLEM began when I turned on my computer and opened up internet exporer...it started to load...and then "Internet Explorer has stopped working"...  and then the crappy options that it will give you...I love the one that says, "check the internet for the problem then restart"...  yeah, that one never works!  Microsoft, make a note!

ANSWER go to "START" then "CONTROL PANEL."  On the left, click on "classic view" then on the right, click on "Internet Options." In the General tab, go down to Browsing History and click "Delete..."  (If you're like me, click "Delete All" at the bottom...if you don't want to lose some of this info then read ahead) Now click the Delete buttons to the right of Temporary Internet Files, cookies, and history.  I also recommend deleteing the other two, because I don't like Microsoft remembering any personal information, people can access it!!! (learn to type!...exercise your memory...or keep a secret piece of paper you write your passwords on)

If you are the type of person that would like to "delete all" regularly, do it...  at the "internet properties" window down in "browsing history" you can also click on "settings" to help with this type of regular maintenance.

I gather from others that the add-ons are the "issue" for this problem.  When deleting all this stuff (like temporary internet files), it will take out all the recent browser add-ons that you didn't necessarily ok.  There are a lot of web pages out there that try to mine into your computer...  Beware of illegitimate web sites!  Surf safe!
    30 марта 2009 г. 14:12
  • This problem was endemic for many months on IE7, but eventually seemed to disappear, presumably fixed by a patch. However, since updating to IE8 the problem has returned with a vengeance. Do the developers never learn from past experiences? Isn't Beta testing supposed to throw up this type of problem.

13 мая 2009 г. 14:44
  • Sorry, Geordie, but something else had to change as well when you upgraded to IE8.  I've been running IE8 for months with nary a problem of any kind. I've been happier than a pig in you-know-what. You know from all your experience that when a user starts with "I only ..." he/she is leaving something out.  What else did you change when you upgraded to IE8 ... Did you have to reinstall some add-ons? Did you already have some "rogue" add-ons installed that broke when you updated to IE8? Look for changes. Don't assume that upgrading IE didn't affect anything else.
    New Vista User
    14 мая 2009 г. 7:10
  • System restore on my puter only reverts back a few days. Would like to go back from the carton on restore point. How can this be achieved? BTW: I've had McAfee for years and haven't had a problem with it except when it conflicted with Nortons. I removed Nortons and program runs fine till lately, receiving IE Stopped working. My daughter is having same problem on her cell phone internet connections as well. What the hey!

18 сентября 2009 г. 13:13
  • If you have the OS install CD(s), you can try to do a "repair" instead of an "install". That way you won't lose your data files, you'll simply refresh the OS. (Be prepared to do a whole slew of Windows Updates immediately after, though.)
    If your computer is relatively new, there could be a manufacturer's partition on it, from which you can do a "restore to factory defaults", but then your data disappears too. --> Backup, backup, backup. That leads me to another suggestion -- attach an external hard drive to your system and copy your important folders to it on a regular basis -- you can use the freebie version of SyncBack for this -- I use the retail version (~$30) and back up my i) data ii) favorites and iii) desktop as a bare minimum. I also have an Installs folder where I keep copies of all my installation CDs.
    Your daughter's cell phone internet connections are controlled by her carrier and phone manufacturer. For instance, Blackberries will lose their internet capabilities once in a while, and the solution is to delete a "service book" and upload a new copy (RIM tech support does that).  Let's not blame MS for everything.
    New Vista User
    18 сентября 2009 г. 14:56
  • I have the same problem when i upgraded my IE to the latest version (IE8); i keep getting this error "Internet explorer has stopped working" even after i updated my windows vista to service pack 2 !!! please need your help.

Thanks
    18 сентября 2009 г. 23:39
  • I have the same problem when i upgraded my IE to the latest version (IE8); i keep getting this error "Internet explorer has stopped working" even after i updated my windows vista to service pack 2 !!! please need your help.

Thanks

SAME HERE !!

IE 8 STOPPED WORKING !!!!!
    • Предложено в качестве ответа fredtheone 28 декабря 2009 г. 17:14
    17 декабря 2009 г. 15:27
  • Thank you so much, this is the only thing that worked for me.
    9 февраля 2010 г. 18:13
  • this gos out to every one..this might not work it may..i'm a drop out pothead so don't qoute me..lol...go to computer drive c..program files..find ie..click it  find an old

version...one that is atleast 3months old and click it...it should come and say need to add this and this..but click cancel...as long as you don't update you're  old version it will work...this worked for me and i'm running windows 7-64 bit... all my friends and family are haveing the same issue  so i spent the last 4 days working on this to see what  command code or app that makes it crash and well i found this loop hole..if it works  delet youre desktop ico of ie..then drag old version on and use old version shortcut...do not update..any windows or ie...till microsoft assholes say they fixed there bug....good luck and....some thing

28 октября 2010 г. 6:09