none
Internet Explorer 9 will not load ANY pages

Вопрос

• Hi, everyone...I'm really hoping someone can help me with this. I've never posted in a forum like this so I will do my best to give all the details you might need...

I can open IE9 but nothing loads. The page is blank. Nothing even looks like it is loading. No error messages, no links, nothing. It won't load an address typed into the address bar either. The page is completely white. I also don't have menu options like under 'tools' most of the choices are grey like 'internet options' and so I cannot click on them. If I try to load a page from one of my favorites I occasionally get a yellow and white box at the bottom of the window that says "the webpage is not responding." along with a button that says "recover webpage". If I click that button a get a pop up that says "webpage is not responding...windows is searching for a solution to the problem" The box then goes away and nothing more happens.

A few bits of background...IE9 did work previously. I didn't change any settings in it I only added bookmarks. It was/is not the default browser. I set it up for my husband to use so he could easily get to all his faves. (He is not computer savvy). He used it fine until it stopped working several months ago (early or mid summer) out of the blue. It is on my Windows 7 (64 bit) PC that is only a year and a half old. It has service pack 1 and more RAM than I know what to do with or will ever be able to use in all likelihood. I use Firefox as my default browser and was forced to download Google Chrome as a replacement for my husband and both have had no issues at all. I also have a laptop running Vista and IE works fine on that machine.

Another thing to note is that the same time IE stopped working my internet connection (DSL) also started to "fail" for long moments and then will start again...which I mostly notice when chatting in Yahoo messenger which will not let me type without a connection...or webpages suddenly won't load...it will stay like this for anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute or more and then just connect again. This will also happen repeatedly (like 1-3 times per hour)and this does NOT happen on my laptop, only on the desktop where IE doesn't work. I may notice it when Yahoo Messenger is up because when it reconnects my yahoo window pops up...if it happens without being logged into Yahoo I often don't notice it (unless I try loading a page) as nothing obvious changes...unless I happen to notice the tiny red x on my network icon in the task bar.

I have had my tech guy come and try to figure it out and he cannot find the reason. He checked for firewall interference, viruses, trojans, spyware, adware, software interference etc. I have tried running IE with add-ons disabled (tho I never added any to begin with), I have tried re-registering IE, resetting IE, resetting Winsock, renewing DNS IP, Mr. Fix It, uninstalling and reinstalling IE as well as the procedure found here http://iefaq.info/index.php?action=artikel&cat=42&id=133&artlang=en (which I found while trying to find the answer to my issues on this forum and several others). None of it has worked. My tech guy believes the issue with my connection and IE9 not working is related and may only be fixed when Microsoft puts out a new version. I am hoping this is not the case as I can only edit my website via IE (of course) which in all honesty is the only reason I care to have IE installed/fixed...and the fact that I am hoping it stops the connectivity interruptions.

Has anybody else encountered this issue? Has anybody else found a solution? Thanks in advance

22 октября 2011 г. 1:39

Все ответы

• I can open IE9 but nothing loads. The page is blank. Nothing even looks like it is loading. No error messages, no links, nothing. It won't load an address typed into the address bar either. The page is completely white. I also don't have menu options like under 'tools' most of the choices are grey like 'internet options' and so I cannot click on them.

To isolate start up problems from connectivity problems you should change your Home page to something like About:Blank.   E.g. if you don't have access to Tools, via Alt-T then you would know that your symptom may not have anything to do with connectivity.

If I try to load a page from one of my favorites I occasionally get a yellow and white box at the bottom of the window that says "the webpage is not responding." along with a button that says "recover webpage". If I click that button a get a pop up that says "webpage is not responding...windows is searching for a solution to the problem" The box then goes away and nothing more happens.

Those might have more than connectivity associated with them too--especially that "recover webpage" symptom but that might just be a continuation of an earlier symptom being shown for a new startup.   Check in the Event viewer (Windows Applications log) if there are any more clues.   In any case you could run Fiddler2 to see if the request was actually getting to the host or whether the host really was "not responding".

I have tried running IE with add-ons disabled (tho I never added any to begin with)

A way to eliminate both the connectivity and add-ons issues is to start IE via Run... (e.g. press Win-R and enter:)

iexplore.exe  -nohome  -extoff

First please compare that result with some of your earlier symptom description about menus and menu items not being available.   In order to get out of the No Home state (where you can expect to see some of that) you should click on the Stop button.   Another method is to start a new tab (e.g. press Ctrl-t) but before trying that make sure that your New tab page is something local, e.g. About:Blank, to maintain the isolation of startup issues from connectivity issues.

I have tried re-registering IE, resetting IE, resetting Winsock, renewing DNS IP, Mr. Fix It, uninstalling and reinstalling IE as well as the procedure found here http://iefaq.info/index.php?action=artikel&cat=42&id=133&artlang=en (which I found while trying to find the answer to my issues on this forum and several others). None of it has worked.

Did you make sure that you were trying Kai's script in an elevated cmd window?  If it is not seen as  Administrator:  Command Prompt  you are unlikely to get as good a result from it.  In any case if you like there are some ways of getting some diagnostics from it.  First you can remove all the  /s  switches from the  regsvr32.exe  commands.   If there are any conditions to report they will unfortunately appear as separate messge windows.  We haven't found a way of capturing these--except as screenshots or screen clips.  Another diagnostic which would show exactly what was being accomplished (or perhaps more usefully what was being attempted but not accomplished) is to run ProcMon filtering on Operation Is RegSetValue.

My tech guy believes the issue with my connection and IE9 not working is related

I think some of your symptoms are probably more severe than just a connectivity problem but try to refine your symptom description so you can say whether the IE UI seems clean when connectivity is not a factor.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

22 октября 2011 г. 14:45
  • Thanks for the reply Robert. I am not overly computer smart so much of your reply is beyond my knowledge I'm afraid...but let me see if I can offer anything further.

The home page is already set to About:Blank. I do not have access to tools via Alt-T...if I try it nothing happens. If I click on tools the menu pops open and the only options I can choose are "file" and "safety". Home doesn't do anything and if I click on the favorites button it opens my favorites but will not go to any of them. It will open new tabs but goes to a generic list of popular sites (suggested sites). Also...I don't think it's a "connection" issue because at the same time I can use the internet in another browser.

I don't know a whole lot about the event viewer and didn't see anything that jumped out at me as helpful so I'm afraid that one is over my head as is Fiddler2...sorry

Interestingly enough when I opened IE via "run" as you suggested it opened and worked just fine! Loaded every page I tried and all my menu options were available to me! I also happened to still have the IE window open that didn't load and after I opened from Run the IE that didn't work suddenly was working. So I closed both windows and tried to open IE again the regular way and again it didn't work. I repeated the process using Run and both windows worked. I closed the "run" IE window and the other IE window worked for a minute then stopped again. The third time I tried to open IE via "run" I got the same result as opening it the regular way. :( I could not get IE to open and load anything again after the first two times.

I tried Kai's script just as it said to (to the best of my knowledge/abilities which is limited)...I do not know what an elevated cmd window is so I don't have a clue whether it was that way or not. I am not knowledgeable enough to play with the registry either.

One other thing I can add is that early this summer my motherboard died. IE worked fine right up until then. It was under warranty so my computer went in to have the motherboard replaced. Due to the earthquakes in Japan (where the motherboards are manufactured) it took well over a month for the motherboard to come in and get put in. It was after I got my computer back that I noticed IE no longer worked. I have been told that the two incidents are not related but on the chance that they may be I'm tossing it out there.

Does any of that help? I'm sorry I am not smarter about these things...it must be very frustrating trying to help those of us who don't have a clue!

23 октября 2011 г. 19:26
  • I do not have access to tools via Alt-T...if I try it nothing happens. If I click on tools the menu pops open and the only options I can choose are "file" and "safety".  

Those would be examples of UI issues or the "startup problems" I mentioned.

Home doesn't do anything and if I click on the favorites button it opens my favorites but will not go to any of them.  

If Home was About:Blank and you were already on About:Blank you might think that.   Clicking on the Favorites button would only open the Favorites bar.   Trying to click on one would depend on what the Favorite's Properties were and whether whatever they were were properly supported.  Then, assuming that resulted in an external URL to be requested after that it would depend on whether there was connectivity for it.

It will open new tabs but goes to a generic list of popular sites (suggested sites).  

That would be normal, depending on what the definition of New tab was, e.g. as set by Tab Settings.   (Alt-T,O,Alt-t)

I don't think it's a "connection" issue because at the same time I can use the internet in another browser. 

It could be a connection issue if you had a software firewall in place which was not recognizing requests from iexplore.exe with your version as being valid.   Such programs apparently can block such requests as being suspected Trojans without giving the user any clue thata such activity is happening.   No one has ever shown me what diagnostics such programs make available to help prove this possibility.  However, coincidentally(?) removing them (e.g. actually uninstalling them if necessary) often ends the problem symptom.

I don't know a whole lot about the event viewer and didn't see anything that jumped out at me as helpful so I'm afraid that one is over my head as is Fiddler2...sorry 

An alternative to Fiddler with IE9 would be to use its Developer Tools, Network tab's Capture facility.   E.g. start Developer Tools by pressing F12, etc.

Interestingly enough when I opened IE via "run" as you suggested it opened and worked just fine! Loaded every page I tried and all my menu options were available to me!

Wonderful. So at least you have a workaround. And now have refined your symptom description a lot.   So now options available to you to try are to test your add-ons to see if you can identify which one(s) are causing the symptom or just get rid of them all using RIES.  Using RIES is more disruptive and possibly unnecessary if taking the time to analyze what effect disabling your add-ons individually has is sufficient.   Also, note that you can be clever about testing your add-ons "individually" by doing them in groups.   E.g. what I would do is disable everything except add-ons which you really needed.  If that worked you could then do further testing on an on-demand basis.   Or, by keeping track of which ones were in which group, successful or unsuccessful, you could use what is referred to as a binary search method of testing, for potentially much fewer total tests.

The third time I tried to open IE via "run" I got the same result as opening it the regular way. :( I could not get IE to open and load anything again after the first two times.

When that sort of thing happens I would suspect that there is a hung iexplore.exe task and check for that possibility using Task Manager.

I tried Kai's script just as it said to (to the best of my knowledge/abilities which is limited)...I do not know what an elevated cmd window is so I don't have a clue whether it was that way or not. I am not knowledgeable enough to play with the registry either.

Did the title of the cmd window say  Administrator:  Command Prompt?   If not it wouldn't be elevated.   One way to elevate it is to right-click a Taskbar icon for Command Prompt.  Then right-click the Command Prompt item in that menu and choose Run as Administrator.  Etc.   BTW you're changing the registry via the regsvr32.exe commands that the script contains but hopefully that is a more controlled and complete process than just doing things manually.

after I got my computer back that I noticed IE no longer worked.  I have been told that the two incidents are not related but on the chance that they may be I'm tossing it out there. 

Are you sure that they didn't do anything to your OS too?   ; )

...it must be very frustrating trying to help those of us who don't have a clue!
    Wonderful. So at least you have a workaround. And now have clarified your symptom a lot.

No.  It's only frustrating to try to help someone who doesn't want to try to help himself.

Good luck

Robert
    ---

24 октября 2011 г. 6:32
  • Sorry for the delayed response...been too busy to fiddle with IE.

IE still does not work. Not via run or anywhere else either. I tried the Home about blank as well as at a directed website...neither worked (except for the couple times I got IE to start via run. Both times I was able to get IE to work via run, all my bookmarks and home page worked fine so I must assume the properties were/are fine. My tech guy checked for firewall and other conflicts so I have to also assume there were none as everything he changed and looked at didn't reveal the problem. Also IE explorer doesn't work with add-ons disabled either (which I am fairly certain I don't have anyway) so I must also assume it's not a conflict there.

I believe I have reached the extent of my capabilities and will just live with using other browsers. It is not worth more of my time and aggravation...frankly...I am too frustrated! I can't thank you enough for trying to help me with this issue! I feel like I have learned a few things even if it didn't solve my problem...one of which is I still don't know squat about computers ;)

29 октября 2011 г. 3:26
  • I Had the same problem before and this is how you fix it..

1st you need to right click on Internet Explorer then got to Properties, then click on Advanced and tick the 'Run as Administrator' box.

Now restart or close Internet explorer if you have it opened and you should now able to open any webpage. I know this answer is quite late but at least I have the solution.

23 января 2012 г. 1:12
  • ie9,

I downloaded it and it worked fine for me for about a month then all of a sudden it begins to drag pages don't open and then it hangs trying to open unlogged in google homepage.  IT is the best browser with the most problems.  Too bad really casue when it works it is the best.

Sorry about your problems wish I had something good to offer.

Paul Gallant
    23 января 2012 г. 7:16
  • I've had the same problem off and on for several months with IE 9 32 bit, which I like as my default browser. IE 9 32 bit will open but everything is blank. What's wierd is that IE 9  64 bit, Firefox, and Chrome work fine, but IE9 64 bit cannot be a defaut browser.  I've tried a lot of the troubleshooting without sucess. Through trial and error I've figured out a workaround:  close all programs, switch user to Administrator, open IE 9 32 bit, close it. switch user to my regular user account, open IE9 64 bit, close it, and then open IE9 32 bit. I have to do this 2 or 3 times a week and its getting old. I hope that someone can figurer out a way in which I can permanently stop this problem. Thanks for any help.
    24 января 2012 г. 17:51
  • I have to do this 2 or 3 times a week

That means that at least that frequently you are using IE in a way that changes it so that you need to do that to undo whatever that change was.   So a fix would be figure out what you are doing that causes the change and stop doing it.   Or at least, as a diagnostic figure out what you are doing that causes the change, stop doing it and verify that that change changes the frequency of occurrence, e.g. so you don't need to use your workaround so often.

Good luck

Robert
    ---

24 января 2012 г. 19:07
  • Good observation, Robert. This behavoir does seem to be related to Windows updates, which happen automatically in the middle of the night. The problem only occures the first time I try to open IE in the morning. But it doesn't happen every time that Windows updates.
    3 февраля 2012 г. 3:15
  • I know this might be a little late, but I found that I had issues with web pages loading (especially google calendar and groups) where it would begin to load the page, then I would just get a blank tab which would sometimes crash IE9.

My lovely IT person asked which version of IE9 I was using, the 32-bit, or the 64-bit. I was using the 32 and when I switched over to 64, it worked a treat.

Just thought I'd put it out there in case anyone else has this problem.

Nancy.

5 февраля 2012 г. 23:25
  • IE9 64 bit always works for me too, but Windows will not allow it to be designated as one's default browser.
    13 февраля 2012 г. 3:41
  • This is due to GPU (hardware) acceleration not working which is enabled in Internet Explorer 9 by default. Usually Internet Explorer 9 would detect your GPU doesn't support GPU acceleration and would disable GPU acceleration, however sometimes this isn't the case. To make web pages load you need to disable GPU acceleration. To do this, go intoInternet Options -> Advanced tab and from there ensure 'Software Rendering Mode' is checked.

Hope this helps.
    • Предложено в качестве ответа TRT117 20 апреля 2012 г. 16:17
    27 февраля 2012 г. 16:01
  • This is due to GPU (hardware) acceleration not working which is enabled in Internet Explorer 9 by default. Usually Internet Explorer 9 would detect your GPU doesn't support GPU acceleration and would disable GPU acceleration, however sometimes this isn't the case. To make web pages load you need to disable GPU acceleration. To do this, go intoInternet Options -> Advanced tab and from there ensure 'Software Rendering Mode' is checked.

Hope this helps.
    Been helping my grandmother with Internet explorer and this solved the issue, thanks :)
    • Предложено в качестве ответа bishoppdl 8 ноября 2012 г. 5:10
    3 марта 2012 г. 1:24
  • Exact same thing here. IE 32-bit will throw up a normal-looking window (if you have the home page set to blank). But it can't access a single URL. It just 'stops responding'.

Not only that, but, after being driven nuts when it happened initially, I did a clean reinstall of Windows and all 200 programs -- which completely solved the problem FOR ABOUT 6 WEEKS, only to have the EXACT SAME THING HAPPEN AGAIN.

During this second go-round, after it started screwing up, for a while it would load local HTML files, but now it won't even do that.

If I load about_blank and click file-open I get the little 'open' dialog but if I click 'browse' it completely freezes, same as if I enter a URL either there or in address bar.

The 'problem event' is always either AppHangB1 or AppHangXProcB1.

I do not know if, in my case, it's associated with a windows update, because I use multiple browsers and a day or two can easily go by without my ever using IE 32-bit, so I can't pinpoint exactly when it happened.

My other computer, which is older hardware but otherwise configured almost exactly the same, and with exact same video card, has no such problems.

I too have tried EVERY KNOWN browser 'fix'. Disable all add-ons/BHOs, disable/reenable services, Reset, nuke all the caches, reconfigure TCPIP, check hosts file, re-register all the DLLs, try different zone/security settings etc. Disable hardwre accel. Roll back to IE8. Ad nauseum.

Nothing helps. IE 32-bit is completely non-functional And yet every other browser works fine: Chrome, Firefox, Firefox Nightly 64-bit, Opera, Safari, and of course IE 64-bit.

Come on, Microsoft, this is a HUGE BLACK EYE for you. I prefer having IE as default browser for various reasons, even if I use other browsers more, and now I'm forced to change that. This is not the only post to mention this problem; it's obviously happening to more than a few users. Every time you run a TV ad for IE9 and its 'beautiful web', I want to buy a shotgun and pull an Elvis on it.
    24 апреля 2012 г. 4:37
  • doesn't happen every time that Windows updates.

That could mean that it happens only when you get a new version of  iexplore.exe  which a third-party security package has not yet discovered and "approved".   Hence the security package would be blocking any outbound access to the Internet just as it would any other suspected Trojan.   If you needed to use IE to connect with the third-party's update host (e.g. to get the new version of iexplore.exe "approved") you would have a Catch-22 situation and have to first uninstall the IE update (or perhaps find a way of downloading the third-party update on another machine and then transferring it locally somehow.)

A fix would be to remove the interferer permanently or at least only install updates to IE after you have installed the updates to the security package which would avoid the problem symptom.

BTW this would be different from the OP's symptom description and therefore should be continued in its own thread with its own specific details.

---

24 апреля 2012 г. 18:11
  • I also have the same problem. I tried to Un-install and Re-Install but nothing Helped. So Finally I moved to Maxthon Browser which have Dual Page Rendering Engine and Running Company software in Maxthon. 
    • Изменено John Bhatt 15 июня 2012 г. 8:16
    • Предложено в качестве ответа Fritz Hochhalter 15 июня 2012 г. 13:04
    • Отменено предложение в качестве ответа Fritz Hochhalter 15 июня 2012 г. 13:05
    14 июня 2012 г. 11:24
  • Hi, My mom had this problem also (im16) and all ii did was i went into "control panel", in the Network and Internet box I clicked "Veiw network status and tasks" then "Troubleshoot problems". When a screen pops up it gives you options click "Internet Connections" then the next button, click the top option "Troubleshoot my connection to the internet" then Explore additional options near the bottom of the next screen that shows click the "Recovery" button, then it's pretty explinitory, nothing will disappear unless u've installed lately, other than that your computer will only shut down and reset. I hope it help all who have this problem.

27 июня 2012 г. 5:15
  • Hie Rebecca, try this,

1.Disconnect your internet connection

2.Now connect once again

3.If network error 720 comes then call any software engineer

12 августа 2012 г. 13:07
  • I was also suffering from this problem when i updated IE to IE9. Now, as you mentioned about GPU hardware acceleration, I followed your solution. now. it is solved. Thank you so much slashkyle1
    8 ноября 2012 г. 5:09
  • My issue was resolved after disabling Google toobar.
    6 декабря 2012 г. 17:00
  • I retract my last statement.  It worked temporarily.  I took the solution above to enable software rendering.

This is due to GPU (hardware) acceleration not working which is enabled in Internet Explorer 9 by default. Usually Internet Explorer 9 would detect your GPU doesn't support GPU acceleration and would disable GPU acceleration, however sometimes this isn't the case. To make web pages load you need to disable GPU acceleration. To do this, go intoInternet Options -> Advanced tab and from there ensure 'Software Rendering Mode' is checked.

6 декабря 2012 г. 17:16
  • I had the same problem, only showing the start page. But when I entered an url it just kept loading..

So what I did:

- Checked the cpu checkbox, but it was already enabled.

- Cleared my history (still didn't work)

- Reset my settings (internet options > advanced > reset button)

- Run IE as an administrator.. and since then it worked. Even when I don't run it as an administrator...

Mayby it will help someone else..

10 января 2013 г. 8:05
  • I tried everything that people have mentioned above. What ended up working for me was launching ie with all add-ons disabled. Everything was fine. Adobe Flash Player ended up being the culprit. Removing it, and then later reinstalling fixed all my issues.  
    7 февраля 2013 г. 20:46