none
Disk2vhd of WIndows Server 2003 R2 without activation

Domanda

• I am trying to virtualize a Win2003R2 server onto Win2012Datacentre Hyper-V using Disk2Vhd however the new VM locks up after 3 days because the OS requires re-activation.

I don't really want to re-activate it until I have finished evaluating the implications of this virtualization.

How can I proceed for a while without re-activating Win2003R2?

giovedì 26 settembre 2013 07:03

Risposte

• This is a limitation introduced through the act of P2V and does not limit installing a fresh 2003 OS in a VM and installing your application on top of that.  This will always give you the least problems over the longest time and is always advised by many in this forum over P2V.

The issue is also related to the 3 day validation window combined with process.

IMHO, it is how the issue is perceived and addressed with that creates an issue.  Is virtualizing an old OS a problem?  No.  Is P2V of an old OS and issue?  It can be.  And for reasons far beyond activation.

The tester in me would ask; what are you validating / how are you validating that it takes more than three days to determine functionality of a single server?

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.
    Disclaimer: Attempting change is of your own free will.

giovedì 26 settembre 2013 15:44
  • I am trying to virtualize a Win2003R2 server onto Win2012Datacentre Hyper-V using Disk2Vhd however the new VM locks up after 3 days because the OS requires re-activation.

I don't really want to re-activate it until I have finished evaluating the implications of this virtualization.

If the server boots then ther P2V was a sucess. just activate and away you go :)
    giovedì 26 settembre 2013 16:22

Tutte le risposte

• Install a key.

The activation is due to the hardware changing (at least that is what the OS of the VM thinks) - this is the behavior of Server 2003, and you cannot change that.  It cannot be spoofed, modified, altered.

All that you can do is properly re-activate it.

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

giovedì 26 settembre 2013 14:36
  • I do not want to spoof, modify or alter in any way. And where would I get such a key for Win2003R2 Server?

Obviously I don't want to call MS and re-activate the VM until I'm ready to go live with it - indeed P2V may not be right for this server - in which case it would never go live and remain on the physical box.

I'm looking for the way of evaluating P2V before actual deployment.

• Modificato BayTree giovedì 26 settembre 2013 15:17
    giovedì 26 settembre 2013 15:14
  • Then you have 3 days to evaluate.  That is the option that is left.

And, you get your keys from calling MSFT licensing.

And, if your original physical machine had an OEM provided license, be aware that it is bound to the hardware.  And you would need to use some other licensing program to get a license for your Server 2003 VM. 

(such as open licensing, MSFT VM instance granting, etc. - which complicates things and can alter the overall implementation).

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

giovedì 26 settembre 2013 15:17
  • I'm not sure how to proceed with virtualising any older servers then.

• Modificato BayTree giovedì 26 settembre 2013 15:27
    giovedì 26 settembre 2013 15:25
  • This is a limitation introduced through the act of P2V and does not limit installing a fresh 2003 OS in a VM and installing your application on top of that.  This will always give you the least problems over the longest time and is always advised by many in this forum over P2V.

The issue is also related to the 3 day validation window combined with process.

IMHO, it is how the issue is perceived and addressed with that creates an issue.  Is virtualizing an old OS a problem?  No.  Is P2V of an old OS and issue?  It can be.  And for reasons far beyond activation.

The tester in me would ask; what are you validating / how are you validating that it takes more than three days to determine functionality of a single server?

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

giovedì 26 settembre 2013 15:44

If the server boots then ther P2V was a sucess. just activate and away you go :)
    giovedì 26 settembre 2013 16:22
  • Hi BayTree,

I would like to check if you need further assistance.

Thanks.

Best Regards
    Jeremy Wu

lunedì 30 settembre 2013 18:52