none
Create San storage using iscsi target

Domanda

• Hi

i want to Create a San storage for My hyper-v Server ; one of them is server 2008 and the other is Server 2012.

I use iSCSI target for this purpose using this link

Introduction of iSCSI Target in Windows Server 2012

1.Enable iSCSI Target

2.Create iSCSI LUN

3.Configure iSCSI initiator to logon the Target on both Server

4.Create new volume on one Server 2012 and in the other Server the Volume show .

the problem is ?

When i copy file to this volume from server 2012 , this file doesn't show on Server 2008R2.

Can you tell me this is problem or it is True?

Best regards

Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on Alternate Text Vote As Helpful & click on Alternate Text Mark As Answer if a post answers your question.

LinkedIn:   Facebook:   

venerdì 26 luglio 2013 21:28

Risposte

• Hi

i want to Create a San storage for My hyper-v Server ; one of them is server 2008 and the other is Server 2012.

1.Enable iSCSI Target

2.Create iSCSI LUN

4.Create new volume on one Server 2012 and in the other Server the Volume show .

the problem is ?

When i copy file to this volume from server 2012 , this file doesn't show on Server 2008R2.

[...]

The problem is you don't understand the difference between file and block storage... NTFS is not cluster-aware file system out-of-box so basically there's nobody on the client A side who'll tell it client B had changed some blocks and client A need to re-read metadata. There are couple of ways to go:

1) Upgrade to Windows Server 2012 on the other box and stick with SMB 3.0 being a file protocol so there will be no issues like this.

2) Upgrade NTFS to cluster-aware file system like SANbolic MeloFS, DataPlow SFS etc. Very expensive and trust me... You don't need this :)

3) Layer file based protocol on top of a SAN. Either configure CSV (so one node will have block access and other will use SMB redirector, close to 1) or configure set of a file shares on top of a SAN. Also variant of 1 at the end of the day.

You can read more here:

http://www.starwindsoftware.com/forums/starwind-f5/trying-clear-this-use-iscsi-instead-smb-t1392.html

Ignore StarWind references as the concepts are the same for StarWind and any other SAN under Windows, f.e. iSCSI, FC or FCoE.

Good luck :)

StarWind iSCSI SAN & NAS

• Proposto come risposta VR38DETTMVP sabato 27 luglio 2013 07:03
    • Contrassegnato come risposta YahyaZahedi sabato 27 luglio 2013 10:38
    sabato 27 luglio 2013 07:02
  • Thanks VR38DETT

a basic question ?

i didn't work with San, if i connect two server to San , for example two hyper-v server to San storage , can see folders of each other or no ? 

what is exactly San Storage it is similar a volume that we copy file an folders on it ?

thank you for clear me .

If you'd configure a cluster then both Hyper-V nodes will use reserve/release commands and one will access to the LUN in block mode and other (not current owner) will use SMB to access the LUN in file mode using owner. If you'll just connect two Hyper-V nodes to the same LUN and format NTFS on it with a concurrent access you'll damage metadata immediately rendering volume useless.

SAN is exactly a DAS with a physical transport link between the LUN and initiator (simplified).

StarWind iSCSI SAN & NAS

• Contrassegnato come risposta YahyaZahedi sabato 27 luglio 2013 16:43
    sabato 27 luglio 2013 16:13

Tutte le risposte

• Hi

1.Enable iSCSI Target

2.Create iSCSI LUN

the problem is ?

[...]

The problem is you don't understand the difference between file and block storage... NTFS is not cluster-aware file system out-of-box so basically there's nobody on the client A side who'll tell it client B had changed some blocks and client A need to re-read metadata. There are couple of ways to go:

1) Upgrade to Windows Server 2012 on the other box and stick with SMB 3.0 being a file protocol so there will be no issues like this.

2) Upgrade NTFS to cluster-aware file system like SANbolic MeloFS, DataPlow SFS etc. Very expensive and trust me... You don't need this :)

3) Layer file based protocol on top of a SAN. Either configure CSV (so one node will have block access and other will use SMB redirector, close to 1) or configure set of a file shares on top of a SAN. Also variant of 1 at the end of the day.

You can read more here:

http://www.starwindsoftware.com/forums/starwind-f5/trying-clear-this-use-iscsi-instead-smb-t1392.html

Ignore StarWind references as the concepts are the same for StarWind and any other SAN under Windows, f.e. iSCSI, FC or FCoE.

Good luck :)

StarWind iSCSI SAN & NAS

• Proposto come risposta VR38DETTMVP sabato 27 luglio 2013 07:03
    • Contrassegnato come risposta YahyaZahedi sabato 27 luglio 2013 10:38
    sabato 27 luglio 2013 07:02
  • Thanks VR38DETT

a basic question ?

i didn't work with San, if i connect two server to San , for example two hyper-v server to San storage , can see folders of each other or no ? 

what is exactly San Storage it is similar a volume that we copy file an folders on it ?

thank you for clear me .

BestRegards

Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on Alternate Text Vote As Helpful & click on Alternate Text Mark As Answer if a post answers your question.

LinkedIn:   Facebook:   

sabato 27 luglio 2013 15:03
  • Thanks VR38DETT

a basic question ?

thank you for clear me .

If you'd configure a cluster then both Hyper-V nodes will use reserve/release commands and one will access to the LUN in block mode and other (not current owner) will use SMB to access the LUN in file mode using owner. If you'll just connect two Hyper-V nodes to the same LUN and format NTFS on it with a concurrent access you'll damage metadata immediately rendering volume useless.

SAN is exactly a DAS with a physical transport link between the LUN and initiator (simplified).

StarWind iSCSI SAN & NAS

• Contrassegnato come risposta YahyaZahedi sabato 27 luglio 2013 16:43
    sabato 27 luglio 2013 16:13