none
Hyper-V in Mixed (2008/2012) Environment

Domanda

• I've read a number of articles and I apologize for my lack of understanding. I have a 3 Hyper-V 2008 R2 Datacenter environment (Rougly 10 VM's across the 3 Hosts) all connected to a SAN via iSCSI Initiator utilizing Storage and Cluster Shared Volumes within Failover Cluster Manager. I do NOT have any systems configured under Failover Clustering within Services and Applications. I might add a server to the Services and Applications section when manually migrating a VM between hosts but the VM's do not stay there long. We have 1 license to upgrade 1 Host from 2008 R2 to 2012. Our hope was to upgrade one of the Hyper-V 2008 R2 servers to 2012 and utilize the additional CPU feature in 2012 on a few of our VM's.   I'm reading, "You can not use W2K12 and W2K8 R2 in one Failover Cluster. Failover Cluster requirements : All nodes must have identical OS Level."  Does this mean that I'm unable to utilize the existing Services and Applications piece which I'm currently not using or does this mean everything including Storage and Cluster Shared Volumes is completely different between the two different OS? Having only 1 license, is it a good idea/or even possible to upgrade 1 of the 3 hosts with the goal to give a select few VM's more than 4 CPU's on the 2012 Hyper-V Host?

giovedì 26 settembre 2013 16:44

Risposte

• All nodes in a Cluster (regardless of the Cluster features used) must be at the same release level.

You can upgrade one server to 2012 - however you have to evict it from the cluster before you do it.  And you cannot join it back.

Also, the VM CPU support is also dependent on the OS in the VM (don't forget that point).

There are folks that hack the Hyper-V XML file to get past this GUI vCPU assignment limitation. Though the hack is not supported, I have not heard of any negative reports. 

Just be sure to refresh the VM configuration in Cluster Manager after making any changes to it.

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.
    Disclaimer: Attempting change is of your own free will.

• Proposto come risposta Darren Blanchard giovedì 26 settembre 2013 19:07
    • Contrassegnato come risposta VWFan62 giovedì 3 ottobre 2013 20:28
    giovedì 26 settembre 2013 17:15
    Moderatore