none
"Unspecified Error"

Question

• "Unspecified Error" THAT is the MIGHTY MICROSOFT'S idea of an error message...UNSPECIFIED ERROR!

I went into my .NET web app solution, "File, Source Control, Change source control..."

And I get a red-X message box for, "Microsoft Development(al) Environment," that says nothing more than, "Unspecified error".

BRILLIANT!!! And it's from the people who brought you the entirely useless, BLUE SCREEN!

I'm going to try a re-start because how many times have Windows problems been solved with the magical re-start?

I haven't even done a search for this in here; where do I start? Even if I know, I had to post this first.

If the enigmatic restart doesn't work; any ideas? And aside from the constructive aspects of my question...

Microsoft, there is NO DEFENSE for an error message like that; you deserve yet another IDIOT MEDAL for that one. Un...specified...error. omfg
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 3:51 PM

Answers

• Bailey,

I do sympathize with your issue (believe me, I fully agree that noone should ever see an "Unspecified Error" or other useless message), this really isn't the place to bring up these kinds of issues.  This particular problem might have been a better question for one of the MSDN forums.

On the general topic of errors, and having been a developer myself some (many) years ago, I do know that it's pretty much impossible to forsee every type of error condition that might occur.  To me, this particular error sounds like something that might have in the past have resulted in no message - just a BSOD.  Personally, I'd rather have the application or the operating system throw up it's hands and say "There is a serious problem, and I don't know what it is." but at least be able to catch and adjust to it rather than having it corrupt memory and crash the whole OS.  Tha'ts about as good as you're going to get in ANY modern OS.

Beyond that I'll leave the technical details on why things like this happen to the folks who are more knowledgeable about it than I am.

I'm leaving this thread here, because I certainly don't want to deny people their right to vent their frustrations now and then.  But I'm still pretty sure that this topic would be better served in one of the MSDN forums.

-Kevin

Kevin Remde US IT Evangelism - Microsoft Corporation http://blogs.technet.com/kevinremde
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 11:32 AM

All replies

• The magic Restart didn't work, nor did a power cycle. So I did a search on "unspecified error," and OH look at that; they're all over the place with "solutions" like try doing another search somewhere else to get more detailed information. You know, if Microsoft just focused on making error messages that actually MADE SENSE and were HELPFUL, it wouldn't really matter how many errors one received because at least WE'D KNOW WHAT THE ____ THE PROBLEM IS!
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 4:23 PM
  • The "solutions" I'm seeing here are like Voodoo:

Q: How to remove a project from source control integration?
    A: The best and recommended way is to use the File/Source Control/Change Source Control dialog, select the desired project or solution, then press the Unbind button. It will remove all the necessary source-control related information from all the files listed above. If you obtain an "Unspecified error" message, you might be unlucky, but there is still hope. You can manually remove the source control information from the solution and project files and delete the source control related files mentioned above.

Are you kidding me?! At another site a list of seemingly irrelevent steps are presented to resolve this same problem; it's like reading a spell from the movie, "Hocus Pocus"! What no entrails?! Hey Microsoft! How about actually doing things right for a change? God I'm just thoroughly disgusted!

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 5:35 PM
  • Gave up and did an, "Open from source control...", which magically fixed MICROSOFT'S problem.

If any one of us coders out in the real world actually made a product that conjured an, "Unspecified error," WE'D be fired!
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 9:46 PM
  • Bailey,

I do sympathize with your issue (believe me, I fully agree that noone should ever see an "Unspecified Error" or other useless message), this really isn't the place to bring up these kinds of issues.  This particular problem might have been a better question for one of the MSDN forums.

On the general topic of errors, and having been a developer myself some (many) years ago, I do know that it's pretty much impossible to forsee every type of error condition that might occur.  To me, this particular error sounds like something that might have in the past have resulted in no message - just a BSOD.  Personally, I'd rather have the application or the operating system throw up it's hands and say "There is a serious problem, and I don't know what it is." but at least be able to catch and adjust to it rather than having it corrupt memory and crash the whole OS.  Tha'ts about as good as you're going to get in ANY modern OS.

Beyond that I'll leave the technical details on why things like this happen to the folks who are more knowledgeable about it than I am.

I'm leaving this thread here, because I certainly don't want to deny people their right to vent their frustrations now and then.  But I'm still pretty sure that this topic would be better served in one of the MSDN forums.

-Kevin

Kevin Remde US IT Evangelism - Microsoft Corporation http://blogs.technet.com/kevinremde
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 11:32 AM