none
Can't install Windows XP Pro SP3 on Dell Optiplex 790

Question

• Hello,

It keeps crashing into BSOD. Windows 7 Pro installation goes fine on the same machine. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Saturday, July 16, 2011 1:51 PM

Answers

• This is down to the SATA controller driver, if you go to Dell's website and find go to the driver downloads for 790 on XP and download the Intel driver (pre-OS) under SATA drives, copy this to a USB/floppy disk and then during the XP install press F6 when prompted.

AHCI is the recommended setting as you get better performance. As mentioned in a post above, Windows 7 works fine, as it has the correct drive on the install DVD, the XP being several years old does not, and causes the BSOD.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 7:33 AM
  • OK, here's the simplest way to rectify the issue of loading XP SP3 on these Opti 790’s; it seems that the motherboard needs to be set to ATA mode in order for the system to boot.  This is found by selecting F2 on system startup (to enter BIOS).  Choose SATA Operation>Drives>ATA Mode>Save and Exit.

Hope this Helps.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 6:47 PM
  • well possible for you to check for hardware defects ?

it might be hard disk issues too :)

Guowen Su | CCNA, CCIP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP, CEH | http://www.microsoft.com/en/sg/default.aspx Our Goal? VERY SATISFIED Customers. If you're not...let's talk!! Please don't vote me for answers... because i do not want others to feels that i'm cheating ? :) In any case God knows :)
    Wednesday, August 03, 2011 5:52 AM
  • Folks I would suggest contacting Dell on this at this point, perhaps you can get the Dell support guys to ship you out the XP system restore disk which comes with all the relevant drivers and support for that chasis of machine.
    -- :P Advice offered, If you need more help it is advised to seek the council and advice of paid professionals. The answer is always 42, or reboot.
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 8:13 PM

All replies

• Hello Igor, first off this is the planning and management forum, you are bound to find more responses in the Windows XP/7 Forums.  I will offer my first educated guess to your problem. Sounds like to me that there is a hardware driver issue, something in the box, does not like the xp driver version that is being applied to it.  Thats why with a Win 7 install it goes just fine because of a newer driver included in the base install.

If XP is a must, then go back to XP install prior to SP3 and then try and install, update your hardware drivers, then update to SP3 and patches.

Hope that helps get you in the right direction.

Saturday, July 16, 2011 2:47 PM
  • I had same problem now, went into bios, switched option from AHCI to ATA and it no longer gave that BSOD. I'll need to do some research on what's the difference though. I'm working on installing all the drivers. Got stuck at the sm bus controller
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 1:59 PM
  • This is down to the SATA controller driver, if you go to Dell's website and find go to the driver downloads for 790 on XP and download the Intel driver (pre-OS) under SATA drives, copy this to a USB/floppy disk and then during the XP install press F6 when prompted.

AHCI is the recommended setting as you get better performance. As mentioned in a post above, Windows 7 works fine, as it has the correct drive on the install DVD, the XP being several years old does not, and causes the BSOD.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 7:33 AM
  • I am having the same issue. I have a new Optiplex 790 that I am trying to re-load with XP SP3. I downloaded the Pre-OS SATA drivers (for XP) to a floppy and hit F6 during the Windows installation and chose the correct choice, but I get a blue screen when Windows starts. I can get it to work fine if I choose ATA in BIOS, but I cannot get the Windows to install when set to AHCI. Any other suggestions?
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 8:06 PM
  • Folks I would suggest contacting Dell on this at this point, perhaps you can get the Dell support guys to ship you out the XP system restore disk which comes with all the relevant drivers and support for that chasis of machine.
    -- :P Advice offered, If you need more help it is advised to seek the council and advice of paid professionals. The answer is always 42, or reboot.
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 8:13 PM
  • I had the same problem with the Dell 780. simple answer was nlite and slipstream the driver into the CD and Bingo! worked a treat.

Before i did this XP install would blue screen even if i did use the F6 option on boot to select the correct driver from FDD.

Thursday, July 28, 2011 12:04 PM
  • Igor, what you need to do is upgrade your BIOS for Windows XP ready. If you have any problem on the way, then you need to look at your CD ROM or windows CD it self.
    Let me know if you have problems along the process. Regards Nasser
    Friday, July 29, 2011 2:48 PM
  • well possible for you to check for hardware defects ?

it might be hard disk issues too :)

Guowen Su | CCNA, CCIP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP, CEH | http://www.microsoft.com/en/sg/default.aspx Our Goal? VERY SATISFIED Customers. If you're not...let's talk!! Please don't vote me for answers... because i do not want others to feels that i'm cheating ? :) In any case God knows :)
    Wednesday, August 03, 2011 5:52 AM
  • OK, here's the simplest way to rectify the issue of loading XP SP3 on these Opti 790’s; it seems that the motherboard needs to be set to ATA mode in order for the system to boot.  This is found by selecting F2 on system startup (to enter BIOS).  Choose SATA Operation>Drives>ATA Mode>Save and Exit.

Hope this Helps.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 6:47 PM
  • Changing to ATA fixed the issue for me as well.
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 6:27 PM
  • Excellent Call!  Changing to SATA, fixed my blue screen
    Thursday, February 09, 2012 6:05 AM
  • Here is how you can have XP SP3 running on AHCI.

- Fresh install:  install XP with BIOS in ATA mode.  Install all drivers afterwards...

- Existing image, f.e. Optiplex 760-780 image:  load image, switch BIOS to ATA ...

... then reboot XP in safe mode (F8), BIOS still in ATA mode

Go to device manager,  find IDE/ATA ATAPI-controllers section.

Get the Optiplex 790 "Pre-OS" driver,  INTEL_RAPID-STORAGE-TECHNOLO_A07_R291720 from the Dell site and unpack it.

Manually replace controller driver, only for the second lower in the list, leave the bottom one.

Browse to unpacked driver, select iaStor.  Choose Intel (R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller.

System asks for reboot, do so.  While rebooting, change setting in BIOS to AHCI.

Boot XP in safe mode again, it will detect the new controller and ask for a reboot (ignore all other missing driver messages). Reboot.

Boot XP in normal mode, the SATA controller should be in place. Install other drivers (chip, vid, net, aud etc.)

Note: create an image at the right times, if you get blue screens you may not be able to do this driver insert trick again and

have to start all over.

• Proposed as answer by zaadstra Tuesday, February 21, 2012 8:46 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by zaadstra Tuesday, February 21, 2012 8:46 AM
    • Proposed as answer by zaadstra Tuesday, February 21, 2012 8:46 AM
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 8:43 AM
  • Greetings,

Could any one pls suggest me what are the correct drivers for the Dell Optiplex 790 Machine with OS Windows 7 Professional.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Shashi

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:57 AM
  • http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/555/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats?c=us&l=en&s=biz&cs=555&DriverId=R291720
    Friday, March 09, 2012 6:10 PM
  • Thanks B" Jack... the modification for ATA mode on Bios work fine.
    • Edited by kurgans0 Wednesday, May 02, 2012 1:44 PM
    Wednesday, May 02, 2012 1:43 PM
  • Just wanted to say thanks for the tip.  I have a dell optilex 790, attempting to install xp pro on it with an adaptec 1220 raid adapter, had same problem - blue screen with stop 7B error.  Tried slip streaming adaptec drivers into oem disk, installing xp pro sp 2 instead of 3, no joy.  But switching from AHCI to ATA worked like a champ!

-Jerry

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 2:03 PM
  • Hello Albertgk, thank you, it is working fine for me after changing the bios option from AHCI to ATA
    Monday, July 08, 2013 4:24 AM