none
Creating an alias for computer name in Windows 7

Question

• Due to ntlm authentication system I had to change my computer name against my very wishes. Is there a way to create an alias for my computer name so that my orginal computer name remains as it is and the proxy ntlm authentication can use the hostname that they have asked for

I am using windows 7
    Plz... Plz... Help

PS The computer is my very own and I want a net connection thats being provided by my university (they use ntlm authentication) so I need some liberty of my own tooo... 
    Sunday, August 02, 2009 12:17 PM

Answers

• Hello,

if your computer is named XYZ, then this will be the name which you can not change. And if your university have a policy against it, if you like to access the university network, THEY make the policy. You have to agree or they will deny.

Additional info:
    This forum is realated to IT manangement, not administration or configuration.
    Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Sunday, August 02, 2009 8:51 PM

All replies

• Hello,

if your computer is named XYZ, then this will be the name which you can not change. And if your university have a policy against it, if you like to access the university network, THEY make the policy. You have to agree or they will deny.

Additional info:
    This forum is realated to IT manangement, not administration or configuration.
    Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Sunday, August 02, 2009 8:51 PM
  • I agree but still there should be a way to create an "ALIAS" I dont want to change it ofcourse so that I do abide by my way and the university regulations...

Monday, August 03, 2009 3:53 PM
  • You can add another NetBIOS name in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\LanmanServer\Parameters section of the Windows registry by adding the OptionalNames string value. If three or more NetBIOS names are required, use the multi-string value with the same name.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/datacenter/adding-multiple-netbios-names-for-windows-servers/2593

• Proposed as answer by JC_3 Friday, October 18, 2013 9:28 PM
    Friday, October 18, 2013 9:27 PM